/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Italy row over Church abuse film

islamirama
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Italy row over Church abuse film

An Italian politician has sparked a furore by urging state broadcaster Rai to block the transmission of a controversial BBC documentary.

The programme, aired in the UK in October, investigates the sexual abuse of children in the Catholic Church.

Italian journalist Michele Santoro has asked to purchase the rights to the film to broadcast it on his talk show.

But Mario Landolfi, who heads Rai's parliamentary oversight committee, has asked Rai to prevent its transmission.

The Panorama programme, Sex Crimes and the Vatican, has been Google Italia's most popular online video choice since a version with translated subtitles was put online.

The Catholic newspaper Avvenire says that the bloggers who posted the documentary online have committed "wicked slander".

'Preventative censorship'

Mr Landolfi, of the right-leaning Alleanza Nazionale party, said the programme should not be screened "to avoid public service television becoming a media execution squad ready to open fire on the Church and the Pope".

His intervention has drawn the wrath of other politicians who attacked his attempts at what they called "preventative censorship".

"Neither the oversight committee nor individual politicians have the right to ask for a preventive censorship of any journalists or topic," said lawmaker Giuseppe Giulietti.

Mr Santoro, a left-leaning journalist, wants to air the documentary as the centre-piece of his discussion programme, "Year Zero".

The investigation examines a secret document which sets out a procedure for dealing with child sex abuse scandals within the Catholic Church.
Crimen Sollicitationis, it says, is a Latin document penned in 1962 and imposing an oath of secrecy on the child victim, the priest dealing with the allegation and any witnesses.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...pe/6678753.stm

Guess someone can't handle the truth, and yet these bigots are ready to attack Islam for anything they can find, even if its false.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
05-22-2007, 02:54 PM
It is very wrong to deny or cover up any wrong-doings in any group, religion or organisation for that matter.

It is bad enough that people abuse their position of power and authority for their own gain - but it is made worse manyfold, when others stand by passively and pretend it hasn't happened, or even actively try to prevent to truth from being exposed!

I wish there were more whistle-blowers who have the courage to speak out against bad deeds and atrocities committed.
It is easy to point the finger and lay blame on people from other groups/religions/organisations etc ... but it takes real guts to speak out against your own!!

May God give us all courage to speak up for truth, justice and love.

Keltoi
05-22-2007, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
It is very wrong to deny or cover up any wrong-doings in any group, religion or organisation for that matter.

It is bad enough that people abuse their position of power and authority for their own gain - but it is made worse manyfold, when others stand by passively and pretend it hasn't happened, or even actively try to prevent to truth from being exposed!

I wish there were more whistle-blowers who have the courage to speak out against bad deeds and atrocities committed.
It is easy to point the finger and lay blame on people from other groups/religions/organisations etc ... but it takes real guts to speak out against your own!!

May God give us all courage to speak up for truth, justice and love.
I agree. The only way this sad episode in church history can be remedied is to put it all out there and cleanse the church, so to speak. I'm sure the Vatican is doing a little house cleaning that isn't reported in the media, but they also need to own up to their responsibility in the matter and ask forgiveness.

NobleMuslimUK
05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Its sad to see such abuse still takes place, in the churches.
A slight off topic question to the christians, I have come across christians who claim catholics arent proper christians for some reason, any catholics here that are victim of such discrimination?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amadeus85
05-23-2007, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
A slight off topic question to the christians, I have come across christians who claim catholics arent proper christians for some reason, any catholics here that are victim of such discrimination?
I am catholic but i have never been any victim of such discrimination.Christians are catholics, protestasnts and orthodox. We are many brunches of the same tree.

Keltoi
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
I am catholic but i have never been any victim of such discrimination.Christians are catholics, protestasnts and orthodox. We are many brunches of the same tree.
I'm not Catholic, and I agree 100%

wilberhum
05-24-2007, 01:04 AM
I was Catholic for over 45 years. I never had or ever know anyone that had those kind of problems. But I don't question for a second that they happened. Every group has some bad people in it.

As far as "proper christians", that is really strange. :skeleton: All Christian faiths are break away from the Catholic Church. :?
But of coures anyone can say anything. :thumbs_up

Philosopher
05-24-2007, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I was Catholic for over 45 years. I never had or ever know anyone that had those kind of problems. But I don't question for a second that they happened. Every group has some bad people in it.

As far as "proper christians", that is really strange. :skeleton: All Christian faiths are break away from the Catholic Church. :?
But of coures anyone can say anything. :thumbs_up
Wasnt it true that members of the Vatican were not allowed to get married?? It's no surprise that these guys were pedophiles, child abusers, rapists, and crooks. The Catholic Church is backwards indeed, just like Shiaism.

wilberhum
05-24-2007, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
Wasnt it true that members of the Vatican were not allowed to get married??
It is still true.
It's no surprise that these guys were pedophiles, child abusers, rapists, and crooks.
I thought better of you that that. A Philosopher and clueless about devient sex, you need to do some reading. :rollseyes
The Catholic Church is backwards indeed, just like Shiaism.
True statement about every religion. :thumbs_up

glo
05-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Muslim_Woman asked a very similar question in this thread. You might find it interesting to look there too. (I think you may have to scroll down to the second page, before the topic arises.

peace

aamirsaab
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
:sl:
I think it would be best to lock this thread; the world affairs section is not here so we can point fingers, it's here to keep us upto date with the world.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.