/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is West.

Amadeus85
05-22-2007, 06:10 PM
By Philippe Nemo- What is West

West is :
- freedom under reigns of law and education for all ( tradition of ancient Greece)
- law written in clear formula, private possesion, respecting a person (tradition of ancient Rome)
-compassion coming from judeo- christian tradition,
-morality based on compassion, protest against evil,
West is inscription of this biblical tradition by popes from XI- XIII A.D in peaceful and rational historical process, in acts order, which is based on synthesis of Athens, Rome and Jerusalem.
West is finally liberal democracy, which guarantees people a proper level of life and, which is not less important, it enables people aim to goal given by judeo-christian tradition- reforming the world with knowledge and law.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zman
05-22-2007, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
By Philippe Nemo- What is West

West is :
- freedom under reigns of law and education for all ( tradition of ancient Greece)

Greece didn't exist as a unified nation, in ancient times. They were city-states.

They were also monarchies. There is no freedom under monarchies.

Many Greek scholars/philosophers were persecuted for speaking out.

- law written in clear formula, private possesion, respecting a person

Respecting the private possession of the elite, not the commoners.

Respecting a rich individual, government and generals. Not the slaves or commoners.

-compassion coming from judeo- christian tradition,

The term "Judeo-Christian," is very recent. It didn't exist in the ancient world.

Jews and Christians, were mortal enemies. Look how the West treated the Jews. So much for compassion.

-morality based on compassion, protest against evil,
West is inscription of this biblical tradition by popes from XI- XIII A.D in peaceful and rational historical process, in acts order, which is based on synthesis of Athens, Rome and Jerusalem.

I bet you that the indigenous people of the "New World," don't think so.

Nor the Third World, that was colonized by Western powers.

West is finally liberal democracy, which guarantees people a proper level of life and, which is not less important, it enables people aim to goal given by judeo-christian tradition- reforming the world with knowledge and law.

Reforming the world with the F-16, Cruise Missiles, Agent Orange, the Tuskeegee Syphyllis Experiments, Depleted Uranium, Cluster Bombs, Napalm, Heroshima & Nagasaki, the Holocaust, Shock & Awe, Fallujah, Guantanamo, etc

Reforming the world, one bomb at a time...

Muezzin
05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Before anything happens: Play nice, everyone. Fighting will lead to thread closure, so please discuss the subject like the civilised people I know you are.

Keltoi
05-22-2007, 11:39 PM
There is no doubt that ancient Greece and Rome had a major impact on the development of the West as we know it today. Everything from our style of government, architecture, language, etc. Of course this is all mixed in with Christian morality and law. That is an historical reality.

Of course that doesn't mean the West always lives up to its own ideas. Winston Churchill wrote about this issue fairly well in his book "The History of the English Speaking Peoples"..not sure of the exact title as it isn't in front of me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
iqbal_soofi
05-23-2007, 12:44 AM
There are good and bad in every culture and every society. Western philosophies certainly did well to make west move far ahead of the east.

north_malaysian
05-23-2007, 02:51 AM
West - Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand

East - Asia, Africa, Russia, Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, South America, Carribean, Central America and the Pacific.

..... is it?:?

Keltoi
05-23-2007, 02:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

East - Asia, Africa, Russia, Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, South America, Carribean, Central America and the Pacific.

Yeah, I've always been a little confused about which nations qualify as West and which East.

north_malaysian
05-23-2007, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Yeah, I've always been a little confused about which nations qualify as West and which East.
But lots of Anglo-Australians I've met said that they are part of Asia...

Muezzin
05-23-2007, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by iqbal_soofi
There are good and bad in every culture and every society. Western philosophies certainly did well to make west move far ahead of the east.
Not Western philosophies, as such. Eastern philsophy is often incorporated into daily life, whereas Western philosophy tends to be solely theory. Maybe Western technology, but I wouldn't say it's philosophical necessarily.

Zman
05-23-2007, 02:23 PM
There is no doubt that ancient Greece and Rome had a major impact on the development of the West as we know it today. Everything from our style of government, architecture, language, etc. Of course this is all mixed in with Christian morality and law. That is an historical reality.

Of course that doesn't mean the West always lives up to its own ideas. Winston Churchill wrote about this issue fairly well in his book "The History of the English Speaking Peoples"..not sure of the exact title as it isn't in front of me.

I agree with you, here...

Zman
05-23-2007, 02:27 PM

:sl:

Some people from NZ & OZ, consider themselves to be part of the West. At least from the cultural/historical sense.

But geographically, they're located in Asia.

Even Israel considers itself to be part of the West.

The Israeli ambassador to OZ/NZ stated during an interview, that Israel and OZ/NZ are like 2 white sisters in the midst of the Yellow Race...

Zman
05-23-2007, 02:40 PM
There is no doubt that ancient Greece and Rome had a major impact on the development of the West as we know it today. Everything from our style of government, architecture, language, etc.

BTW, I forgot to mention this before, But, some of the science that is attributed to Greece and the West in general, was borrowed from the East (pre-Islamic, and from the Islamic Caliphate).

One example of a borrowed item from Ancient Egypt, is the constant PI. I've always been taught that the "Greeks" were the ones who discovered it.

But, it turns out that the ancient Egyptians used it in the building of their Pyramids, 500 years before it was said to be claimed by the "Greeks." I saw that episode on the History Channel (U.S.A.).

Another example of a borrowed item, was from the Islamic Caliphate. There was a recent article which stated that the mathematical designs that were attributed to the West, was actually created by the early Muslims...

Keltoi
05-23-2007, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

BTW, I forgot to mention this before, But, some of the science that is attributed to Greece and the West in general, was borrowed from the East (pre-Islamic, and from the Islamic Caliphate).

One example of a borrowed item from Ancient Egypt, is the constant PI. I've always been taught that the "Greeks" were the ones who discovered it.

But, it turns out that the ancient Egyptians used it in the building of their Pyramids, 500 years before it was said to be claimed by the "Greeks." I saw that episode on the History Channel (U.S.A.).

Another example of a borrowed item, was from the Islamic Caliphate. There was a recent article which stated that the mathematical designs that were attributed to the West, was actually created by the early Muslims...
There is alot of history relating to irrational numbers, speaking of pi, including the Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Egyptians, and on and on. I believe an Egyptian text is the oldest known to give an approximate value of pi. Most of these are cases of several civilizations coming to the same conclusion. I seriously doubt whether Archimedes of Syracuse got the idea from anybody other than himself. Of course, the effect of pi on the advancement of Western civilization is probably not that great.

As for mathematical designs, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

iqbal_soofi
05-23-2007, 11:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Not Western philosophies, as such. Eastern philsophy is often incorporated into daily life, whereas Western philosophy tends to be solely theory. Maybe Western technology, but I wouldn't say it's philosophical necessarily.
Then, maybe you don't know what's philosophy.

north_malaysian
05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman
The Israeli ambassador to OZ/NZ stated during an interview, that Israel and OZ/NZ are like 2 white sisters in the midst of the Yellow Race...
[/i]
OZ/NZ are in the midst of the Yellow Race

But Israel is surrounded by Arabs who are not Yellows.

An example of yellow people ---------------> :okay:

Keltoi
05-24-2007, 03:25 AM
OZ/NZ are in the midst of the Yellow Race

But Israel is surrounded by Arabs who are not Yellows.

An example of yellow people ---------------> :okay:
It's okay, I was engaged to a "yellow" woman once. Plus I like the food. I have no problem at all being surrounded by yellow people. :D

north_malaysian
05-24-2007, 05:12 AM
It's okay, I was engaged to a "yellow" woman once. Plus I like the food. I have no problem at all being surrounded by yellow people. :D
The term Yellow is not applicable to all Asians right?

I think the Yellows should be Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Filipinos, Indo-Chinese, Thais, Tibetans and some Malays, Indonesians, Burmese and Central Asians. (Maybe I should include the Eskimos too):?

Examples of people:

Yellow people --------------> :okay:
Red people -----------------> :phew
Green people ---------------> +o(
Orange people --------------> :scared:
Black people ----------------> :offended:
White people ---------> :skeleton: (sorry, that's the only white smiley available)

Keltoi
05-24-2007, 02:38 PM
The term Yellow is not applicable to all Asians right?

I think the Yellows should be Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Filipinos, Indo-Chinese, Thais, Tibetans and some Malays, Indonesians, Burmese and Central Asians. (Maybe I should include the Eskimos too):?

Examples of people:

Yellow people --------------> :okay:
Red people -----------------> :phew
Green people ---------------> +o(
Orange people --------------> :scared:
Black people ----------------> :offended:
White people ---------> :skeleton: (sorry, that's the only white smiley available)
Asians don't look yellow anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Although the Chinese and Koreans are probably the most light-skinned Asians.

north_malaysian
05-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Asians don't look yellow anyway
They do.... especially when they got the "Yellow Fever"..... :D

Although the Chinese and Koreans are probably the most light-skinned Asians.
Actually the Japanese are the most light-skinned Asians.

But in the age of "I want to look good".... many Japanese and Koreans are having tanned-skins...

But the Chinese are not really light-skinned...

Meanwhile many dark-skinned Asians (especially the women) are using skin whitening products...

Keltoi
05-25-2007, 03:17 AM
They do.... especially when they got the "Yellow Fever"..... :D

Actually the Japanese are the most light-skinned Asians.

But in the age of "I want to look good".... many Japanese and Koreans are having tanned-skins...

But the Chinese are not really light-skinned...

Meanwhile many dark-skinned Asians (especially the women) are using skin whitening products...
lol..yeah I suppose it depends on which Chinese or Japanese person you run into. Being half Native American they seem lighter skinned to me.

wilberhum
05-25-2007, 03:29 AM
There were multiple migrations into Japan. They came from many directions. Because of background some Japanese are very dark and some are very light and every shade inbetween.

north_malaysian
05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
There were multiple migrations into Japan. They came from many directions. Because of background some Japanese are very dark and some are very light and every shade inbetween.
Many Japanese guys tanned their skins as Japanese girls love darker boys...

wilberhum
05-31-2007, 04:25 AM
Many Japanese guys tanned their skins as Japanese girls love darker boys...
My experience says differently. I found there attitude to be: Not an attitude I share, but it is what I found to be true when I lived there.

The lighter the better. Dangerous drugs are used to bleach the skin and whiting makeup is most commonly used. Servants and lower classes work outside and become darker, so liter is associated with success.

جوري
05-31-2007, 04:27 AM
What is West
the direction to the left of one facing north!

north_malaysian
05-31-2007, 04:31 AM
The lighter the better. Dangerous drugs are used to bleach the skin and whiting makeup is most commonly used.
Yes... to most Asian girls. Actually, those whitening regiments make their skins so thin that make the moustache visible.

Servants and lower classes work outside and become darker, so liter is associated with success.
maybe...

north_malaysian
05-31-2007, 04:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
the direction to the left of one facing north!
Ok.... that's the basic thing. :okay: LOLs!!!!

NoName55
05-31-2007, 08:41 AM
What is West
One of the Compass points :X:statisfie:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.