/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Queen Voted Greatest Living Briton

England
05-22-2007, 11:12 PM
The Queen Voted Greatest Living Briton
Updated: 09:28, Tuesday May 22, 2007

The Queen has been voted the Greatest Living Briton at an awards ceremony celebrating British achievement.
She was not present to receive the top accolade but her son Prince Edward paid tribute via a video transmission.

[Mod: Pic removed]

Her Majesty finished top of a list of other famous Britons, including Sir Paul McCartney, Dame Julie Andrews, Baroness Thatcher and Robbie Williams.

Dame Helen Mirren, who won an Oscar earlier this year for her portrayal of the Queen, took the top prize for the Greatest Briton in Film.

And David Beckham jetted in from Spain to receive his award for being the Greatest Briton Overseas.

Prime Minister-in-waiting Gordon Brown also made an appearance - to present an award rather than recieve one.

He awarded the founders of the Innocent Drinks company with the Greatest Britons in Business gong at the ceremony at London Studios.

Other winners included graffiti artist Banksy in the Arts category, and adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes - the first man to reach both the north and south poles by land - in the Sports category.

The Greatest Living Briton honour given to the Queen was based on the votes of TV viewers but other winners were chosen by a high-profile panel.

Lord Sebastian Coe, screenwriter Richard Curtis and TV presenter Kelly Osbourne helped judge the awards, in what is set to become an annual ceremony.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...266774,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
05-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Good choice in my opinion...of course I'm not British.

wilberhum
05-22-2007, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Good choice in my opinion...of course I'm not British.
Ditto :thumbs_up

north_malaysian
05-23-2007, 02:49 AM
Dame Julie Andrews? since when Fraulein Maria got that "dame" title?:?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HBot 5000
05-23-2007, 08:00 AM
:sl:

I diasgree. I am british and i certainly would not vote for her. She does nothing but to spend our hard earned tax money. I'm a democrat and waiting for the day we elect a president to replace her :yukk:

:w:

Muezzin
05-23-2007, 08:29 AM
...Robbie Williams was in the shortlist? Robbie Williams?

Could have been worse. Could have been Beckham.

Aw, drats he did get one. Personally, I think 'Greatest Briton Overseas' should have gone to say, Ozzy Osbourne, if only because the dozy Brummy is funnier than a clown on Valium.

Panther
05-23-2007, 08:41 AM
"Greatest Briton"?
So what has the queen done that's so great? Oy.

muzna
05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
i'd put jk rowling somewhere at the top..such crazy thought processes

00:00
05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Greatest Briton"?
So what has the queen done that's so great? Oy.
Nothing

Just cuz she's old, and looks nice & kind, don't make her greatest living Britin. There loads of people who are better than her. in there eyes in the famous people who are the greatest, actually none of them r great. God is the greatest.

Snowflake
05-23-2007, 09:13 AM
England, can you remove the first pic in your post please. Thank you.

Panther
05-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Well, it's obvious tht this 'ceremony' was a load of tosh. Thatcher was up there.

NobleMuslimUK
05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Was Tony Blair in the list at all? By the way has this nation forgotten Diana already, or is this to do with living Britons...

chacha_jalebi
05-23-2007, 11:07 AM
salaam

was has the good old majesty queeny done apart from appear on our money :D

im sure if i was in the list:-[ , i would be voted greatest :shade:

Skavau
05-23-2007, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Her Majesty finished top of a list of other famous Britons, including Sir Paul McCartney, Dame Julie Andrews, Baroness Thatcher and Robbie Williams.
The population of this country make me want to leave. AGAIN.

England
05-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh my God lol I can't believe anyone found that picture offensive...

I'm pro-monarchy so I don't mind the Queen getting the vote.

God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter thine enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen.

Kittygyal
05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000

I diasgree. I am british and i certainly would not vote for her. She does nothing but to spend our hard earned tax money. I'm a democrat and waiting for the day we elect a president to replace her :yukk:

Salamualikum.
Who do YOU like? :omg: Mama Mia
ma'assalama

HBot 5000
05-23-2007, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum.
Who do YOU like? :omg: Mama Mia
ma'assalama

You :thumbs_up hehe

MuslimSis&proud
05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Was Tony Blair in the list at all? By the way has this nation forgotten Diana already, or is this to do with living Britons...

that just what i was wondering :?

England
05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Who would you vote? Don't say some silly muslim cleric. Tony Blair is terrible. He shouldn't be in the list at all. He doesn't give a rats arse about the British people. Diana isn't exactly going to be the "greatest LIVING person" is she...

Kittygyal
05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000

You :thumbs_up hehe

Salamualikum.
For the sake of Allah subhnwatallah.
Love you too Fisabillah. :)

Anywho i vote SNOWY

Ma'assalama

Psst: England blud don't grip me :omg:

MuslimSis&proud
05-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Who would you vote? Don't say some silly muslim cleric. Tony Blair is terrible. He shouldn't be in the list at all. He doesn't give a rats arse about the British people. Diana isn't exactly going to be the "greatest LIVING person" is she...

lol my bad, i somehow missed out the LIVING part when i read the title, :-[

north_malaysian
05-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Those teletubbies should be voted too. :D

Kittygyal
05-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Don't forget Tweenies :D
ma'assalama

Talha777
05-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Muslims should never refer to Elizabeth Windsor as Queen or her majesty. There is only one Majesty, Allah Azzawajal.

Kittygyal
05-24-2007, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
Muslims should never refer to Elizabeth Windsor as Queen or her majesty. There is only one Majesty, Allah Azzawajal.
Salamualikum
So true.:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up Subhnallah i would give you a million reps for this but i can't even give one right at this moment of time as me being giving out too many for the past 24hours Hmpfft.
Anywho agree with you 101%
ma'assalama

England
05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
God Save Our Queen :)

Rule Britannia,
Britannia rules the waves,
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves!

Keltoi
05-24-2007, 05:40 PM
As an American I have no allegiance to any monarch, but custom and basic respect dictates that if I happen to be in the presence of Queen Elizabeth(or any royalty for that matter), I should address her as royalty and give her respect. That doesn't mean I owe her allegiance or should go on bended knee and prostrate myself...it is simply acknowledging her title.

Muezzin
05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves!
So that's the last lyric to that song!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.