mohammed farah
05-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Champions League final
Date: Wednesday, 23 May
Kick-off: 1945 BST
Venue: Olympic Stadium, Athens
Watch (in UK): ITV1 and Sky Sports One
Listen: BBC Radio Five Live

Liverpool's Boudewijn Zenden is set to be passed fit for the Champions League final against AC Milan.

The winger has been doubtful with an ankle injury, but should be available to start on the left side.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez said: "He looks like he will be OK, he has trained and I expect him to be fit."

Benitez is expected to play a five-man midfield with skipper Steven Gerrard likely to occupy a supporting role to lone striker Dirk Kuyt.

AC Milan fielded virtually a second-string side in their 3-2 defeat to Udinese at the San Siro on Saturday.

The Italians have been boosted by the return from a knee injury of veteran defender Paolo Maldini, who will play in his eighth final.

Coach Carlo Ancelotti's biggest task is between Filippo Inzaghi and Alberto Gilardino to play up front.

Ancelotti admitted he has already decided who will lead the line but was keeping his cards close to his chest.

"Inzaghi scores more goals, but Gilardino's support work is better," he said. "I've already decided on my team but I haven't told the players yet.

"Everyone deserves to play, not only the eleven who start the match. We will have to play our own game in the knowledge it will be difficult to play the ball around against a team that gives very little space.

"But I can say that the squad is in good shape. We have worked well, and we are ready for Wednedsay."

Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant looks likely to start the match on the right, just two years after he was in prison for motoring offences, while Harry Kewell is on standby if Zenden does not make it.

Momo Sissoko has been struggling with injury but even if he is passed fit he is likely to miss out on a midfield slot.

But Liverpool's first-choice keeper Jose Reina and back-up Jerzy Dudek have both shook off injuries.

Reina will join a select band of just three father and sons who have appeared in European Cup finals.

Miguel Sanchez and his son, also Miguel, achieved that feat for Real Madrid, Cesare and Paolo Maldini did so for Milan, and now Miguel and Jose Reina, for Atletico Madrid and Liverpool.

German official Herbert Fandel will referee Wednesday's game in the Olympic Stadium.

Fandel, 43, has been in charge of three of Liverpool's Champions League matches - the last being the 1-0 defeat by Barcelona at Anfield in March - and he has handled five Milan matches in the European Cup.

Carsten Kadach and Volker Wezel are assistant referees, with Florian Meyer the fourth official.

WHO DO YOU THINK WILL WIN?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Zaara
05-23-2007, 10:10 AM
AC Milan.

------
05-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Ac Milan. Deffo. Liverpool is cra... :D

jzcasejz
05-23-2007, 11:06 AM
SMH, anything goes in the Champion's League final. Come on LiVERPOOL! Can't wait!

EDIT: ahh Zenden gonna pass fitness!?! :( That's it..Milan won it already! :-\

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HBot 5000
05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
:sl:

I'm a man u fan but i am supporting the liverpudlian lot tonight. I want to see the cup back home in the uk and not in Italy :thumbs_up

:w:

jzcasejz
05-23-2007, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000

I'm a man u fan but i am supporting the liverpudlian lot tonight. I want to see the cup back home in the uk and not in Italy :thumbs_up

Yeah..and anyways...Milan them punks shouldn't have been allowed into the competition this year. :p But overall...Liverpool's performance was decent.

Kittygyal
05-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Edit!!!!!!!!!

'Abd al-Baari
05-23-2007, 08:57 PM

predicting?...the games finished:?

For those who didn't watch the game like me
Heres the report from football365.com
Liverpool failed to emulate their 2005 heroics and lost the Champions League final with AC Milan 2-1 after Filippo Inzaghi bagged a brace.

Rafael Benitez's Reds, who won in Istanbul two years ago after coming back from 3-0 down against the Italians to draw 3-3 and then beat them on penalties, dominated the first half but were hit by a 45th-minute sucker-punch from Inzaghi. Andrea Pirlo's 20-yard free-kick hit the Milan striker and wrongfooted the unlucky Pepe Reina.

Anfield skipper Steven Gerrard had the best chance to equalise in the second half but his sidefooted effort was saved by Dida.

And Inzaghi put Milan 2-0 ahead when Kaka sent him into the box, where he skipped around Reina and coolly slotted the ball into the net.

Dirk Kuyt's close-range header on 89 gave the travelling Reds fans hope - but it was a bridge too far this time and Milan were crowned European champions.

Liverpool created the first clear-cut chance of the game on 10 minutes, when Marek Jankulovski's slip allowed Kuyt to set up Jermaine Pennant, whose low drive was parried by Dida, with Alessandro Nesta clearing to safety.

Gerrard then flicked on to release Pennant down the right - but the winger's cross back to his skipper was miscued by the England man on the edge of the 18-yard box.

Milan created their first clear-cut chance on 17 minutes. A cross from the left found Kaka 25 yards from goal and he created an opening to unleash a skidding shot which was well saved by Reina.

Pennant charged down the right flank on 23 minutes and delivered a superb cross to Gerrard on the edge of the 18-yard box, from where he volleyed narrowly over Dida's crossbar.

H4RUN
05-23-2007, 09:02 PM

I think Ac Milan is gonna win 2-1....WOOOOHOOOO I WAS CORRECT:D somebody give me my prize:D

Amadeus85
05-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Milan won because they have the best player in world - Kaka. :D

H4RUN
05-23-2007, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Milan won because they have the best player in world - Kaka. :D
Some classy touches today:D Nice to see a bit of flare in the games rather than just the keepers kickin the ball to each other for 90 minutes

m102313
05-23-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm really upset today.

Liverpool have lost the game.

We dominated the game though

jzcasejz
05-23-2007, 10:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
I'm really upset today.

Liverpool have lost the game.

We dominated the game though
LOL, that's the 'beautiful game' for you Bro. But yeah..Pennant was outstanding. And the first Milan goal...not even worth talking about. :exhausted

------
05-24-2007, 10:02 AM
:salamext:

*tried to hold laughter in*.... .... ... ;D ;D ;D :haha: :haha: :haha: Liverpool....whats the word? Oh yeh..... LOST!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

aLiTTLeTiMe
05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN

I think Ac Milan is gonna win 2-1....WOOOOHOOOO I WAS CORRECT:D somebody give me my prize:D

you are right and correct :D

H4RUN
05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aLiTTLeTiMe
you are right and correct :D
i know, im good init bro:D

Prisca
05-25-2007, 02:07 PM
HAHAHA Liverpool lost!!!
AC MILAN ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!WOOOHOO

LFC
05-26-2007, 07:00 AM
I dunno what Manure fans are so giddy about, you lost a final last week too.

We'll come back stronger next season, that's for sure.

I hate Milan, shouldn't even have been in the competition, and they're all a bunch of cheaters. I'm sure Man U fans will know.

Prisca
05-26-2007, 01:48 PM
It's called hard work buddy^^ oh and revenge hahahaha
I like the Manure name, shall use it more often!
Solo con Milan(only with Milan :D)

------
05-26-2007, 02:06 PM
:salamext:

Us MAN UTD fans are just happy that Liverpool lost coz they're cra... :D

Prisca
05-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Exactly^^ :D heh

enaya
05-26-2007, 03:41 PM
it was a very sad week for liverpool i cried when they lost but hey who won more champion leagues better then liverpool, you have to admit liverpool did play good and oh well theres always nxt season and plus there refunishing their team so i lyke to see dat stpuid alonso to ggo that dump man gave ac milan the 1st goal but oh well at least IT WAS A BRITISH TEAM WHO MADE IT TO THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THEN A FOREIGN 2 YOU HAVE TO CONGRATULATTE ON THAT ADDS A BIT OF SPICE TO THE FOPOTBALL HERE IN ENGLAND GETS TO SHOW THE EUOPEONS THAT ITS EITHER ONE OF THE BRITISH ONES WHO MAKE IT TO THE CAMPIONS LEAGUE OR ITS 2 OF THEM!!

Amadeus85
05-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Kaka is my idol. He isn't controversial like for example Beckham or Ronaldinho, he doesnt change girls every month, he doesnt go to a club every week. He is married, he likes listening gospel music and reading a Bible. Not just a good footballer but also a good man.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.