/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Human rights 'eroded worldwide'

islamirama
05-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Human rights 'eroded worldwide'

Powerful governments and armed groups have been deliberately fomenting fear to erode human rights worldwide, a report by Amnesty International says.

The group's annual report on human rights says policies like those linked to the "war on terror" are creating a more polarised and dangerous world.
It says the world has been impotent in the face of major crises like Darfur.
It urges governments to strengthen human rights bodies and defend the rule of law across the globe.

'Weak-willed'

The document - Amnesty International Report 2007 - is the group's annual assessment of human rights country-by-country.

REPORT'S KEY FACTS & STATS
DEATH PENALTY IN 2006:
Some 24,000 people on death row
3,861 people sentenced to death
1,591 prisoners executed
TORTURE/TERROR IN 2006:
102 nations had cases of torture by state authorities
1,245 rendition flights in Europe's air space
18,000 people held without trial by coalition troops in Iraq
400 detainees held at Guantanamo Bay
Source: Amnesty International

"The politics of fear are fuelling a downward spiral of human rights abuses in which no right is sacrosanct and no person safe," Amnesty International's Secretary General Irene Khan said ahead of the launch of the report.

The paper blames the world community for being "weak-willed" in tackling human rights crises in 2006, whether in "forgotten conflicts" in Chechnya and Colombia or "high profiles ones" in the Middle East.

During the Lebanon war, the report says, it took the UN weeks to call for a truce. Some 1,200 civilians lost their lives in the conflict.

It also says the world "showed no stomach" in tacking human rights abuses resulting from severe restrictions on freedom of movement of Palestinians, attacks by the Israeli army and also the Palestinian infighting.

"Through short-sighted, fear-mongering and divisive policies, governments are undermining the rule of law and human rights, feeding racism and xenophobia," Ms Khan said.

"The 'war on terror' and the war in Iraq, with their catalogue of human rights abuses, have created deep divisions that cast a shadow on international relations," she said.

Ms Khan described the continuing conflict in Sudan's Darfur region as a "bleeding wound on the world's conscience".

The report says that armed groups in the region waged a campaign of terror in 2006, clearing whole communities from their villages.

It also criticises the US government for what it said were kidnappings, arbitrary detention, tortures and secrets transfers of terror suspects - the practice known as "extraordinary rendition".

Widespread human rights abuses in Afghanistan, Belarus, China, Iran, Russia, Syria, Vietnam and Zimbabwe are also mentioned in the report.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...pe/6681437.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NobleMuslimUK
05-23-2007, 02:21 PM
:sl:
Only Islam gives rights to the whole creation and humans are no exception, Its the muslims fault they dont see this. The human rights movement has little or no influence which has been proved by the west, who are some of the worst violators or human rights, now before people try to defend this point I would like to point out that these humans rights violations at the hands of the west are not so evident in the west as much as they are on foreign lands.

MTAFFI
05-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I didnt even know that there were human rights in war anymore... From either side

islamirama
05-23-2007, 03:12 PM
where is that neo-con taffi guy, the blind ignorant guy needs to see this even if he denies it.

It also criticises the US government for what it said were kidnappings, arbitrary detention, tortures and secrets transfers of terror suspects - the practice known as "extraordinary rendition".

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
where is that neo-con taffi guy, the blind ignorant guy needs to see this even if he denies it.

Have I ever denied that???? I didnt think so.. Again you show what kind of person you are, trying to insult me with name calling and so on. Do you feel it is necessary to lie in every post by calling me a neo-con? Or is it just reflex for everyone who doesnt believe in conspiracies? I have no doubt it criticizes the US for Gitmo and Abu Gharib and I am sure many other violations, it just doesnt make much of a difference to me because this happens in war. Is war itself not a violation of human rights?

Also please note in my first post to this pointless thread (since everyone already knows it and has discussed it) I said

I didnt even know that there were human rights in war anymore... From either side

I think I was talking about the US there too, or was that not obvious enough for you. Although I guess I should expect you skipped that anyways, you always seem to fail to point things out that dont suit your own needs. I wonder if Islam would consider you to be an apostate for your constant hate mongering

islamirama
05-23-2007, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
I wonder if Islam would consider you to be an apostate for your constant hate mongering
do you even know what apostate means? Just becuase i hate the enemies of Islam and for what they are doing, you think i'm wrong? and i suppose hating is a crime for Muslims now as well and they could be "suspects" of terrorism for that?

MTAFFI
05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
do you even know what apostate means? Just becuase i hate the enemies of Islam and for what they are doing, you think i'm wrong? and i suppose hating is a crime for Muslims now as well and they could be "suspects" of terrorism for that?
I know exactly what an apostate is, do you? Disrespecting people is against Islam, hating those who are not against islam, is against Islam. I am not against Islam and neither is my country, no matter what you believe. If the US were truly at war with Islam you sure would not be enjoying this country would you..nope. Judging is also against Islam, you seem to do that often. These are only things I can see about you on this goofy forum, I can only imagine the type of person you are in real life, who knows maybe you just save up all this hatred and lying just for the internet. What is your problem anyways? I havent done anything to you other than have a different opinion, is this what all the youth is like today? Did you get beat up in school by some kids and now everyone is corrupt to you? Not popular? What is it? Oh well doesnt matter, I am going to just block you anyways now.. Your posts are pointless and stupid, you say the same things over and over again and only about a quarter of it is true or can be verified. Keep believing your little conspiracy theories kid, they will do you no good, your paranoia will overtake you and you will be worthless to yourself and the rest of the world as well. Try searching yahoo for "conspiracy theories debunked", you will see that there are explainations for everything you could bring, because it is the irrefutable truth. Also you should know I am not a neo conservative, to be honest I dont even really like Bush anymore. I voted for him twice, once because I thought he would be good, 2nd because the other candidate was a moron. I want our troops out of Iraq and any other Muslim land, not because I think we lost but because we have nothing to gain. I dont feel as though my country is always right, but I do feel we are better than the terrorists. I wonder what description you will make up for me now?

Talha777
05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Who knows how many more Guantanamo bays and Abu Ghraibs there are which the public doesn't know about? Who knows how many unfortunate young and brave Muslims are being tortured therein on a daily basis?

All we can do is pray fervently for all those Muslim brothers who are suffering at the hands of our enemy who only know the language of violence.

islamirama
05-23-2007, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
I know exactly what an apostate is, do you? Disrespecting people is against Islam, hating those who are not against islam, is against Islam. I am not against Islam and neither is my country, no matter what you believe. If the US were truly at war with Islam you sure would not be enjoying this country would you..nope. Judging is also against Islam, you seem to do that often. These are only things I can see about you on this goofy forum, I can only imagine the type of person you are in real life, who knows maybe you just save up all this hatred and lying just for the internet. What is your problem anyways? I havent done anything to you other than have a different opinion, is this what all the youth is like today? Did you get beat up in school by some kids and now everyone is corrupt to you? Not popular? What is it? Oh well doesnt matter, I am going to just block you anyways now.. Your posts are pointless and stupid, you say the same things over and over again and only about a quarter of it is true or can be verified. Keep believing your little conspiracy theories kid, they will do you no good, your paranoia will overtake you and you will be worthless to yourself and the rest of the world as well. Try searching yahoo for "conspiracy theories debunked", you will see that there are explainations for everything you could bring, because it is the irrefutable truth.
It is a war against Islam, which is why only Muslims seems to be the "suspects" and "terrorists" and Muslim countries being bombed and invaded. It's not an all out war yet otherwise I and other muslims in US would be in concentration camps like japanese were during WWII.

Take a look at what the Muslim world believes
http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...slam-poll.html

Also you should know I am not a neo conservative, to be honest I dont even really like Bush anymore. I voted for him twice, once because I thought he would be good, 2nd because the other candidate was a moron. I want our troops out of Iraq and any other Muslim land, not because I think we lost but because we have nothing to gain. I dont feel as though my country is always right, but I do feel we are better than the terrorists. I wonder what description you will make up for me now?
That's good to know you are not neo-con, although your previous statements had given that impression. I"m glad we agree on one thing, US doesn't belong in Muslim lands and needs to get out and take all it's military bases back as well. It also needs to stop supporting the real terrorists (zionists). Until all that is done, US will be seen as the enemy and retaliation will continue till Muslims feel safe from this threat.

islamirama
05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
Who knows how many more Guantanamo bays and Abu Ghraibs there are which the public doesn't know about? Who knows how many unfortunate young and brave Muslims are being tortured therein on a daily basis?

All we can do is pray fervently for all those Muslim brothers who are suffering at the hands of our enemy who only know the language of violence.
You are right bro, so many torture cells in europe and egypt and other countries the US takes it's "suspects" and not even convicted criminals to be forced into making statements that they are al-qaeda operatives. How many more war crimes are there that haven't come into light yet?

Ameen to your duas.

Akil
05-23-2007, 06:12 PM
There was never human right’s in war, ever. Individual US soldiers, sailors, Marine and Airmen are being held individually accountable in a way that they never have been before. Not to say that I think this is bad or wrong however though I believe sometimes the charging of US personal amounts to a McCarthy-istic witch-hunt, which end in embarrassing defeats in court.

I would however, like to point out a logical fallacy. Many people including many people on this forum seem to believe that because the US has kept hidden prisons, because the US is guilty of torture in some places, because some US military personnel have run amuck, that these are all very wide spread problems. If you believe this then you do not understand the fervor with which the US media seeks these missteps out and exposes them.

I charge that every misdeed, misstep and wrongdoing has been on the news, and all the conspiracy theories about the US New World Order amount to hasty propaganda and a sloppy smear campaign.

Muezzin
05-23-2007, 06:56 PM
All members of all ways of life are reminded to debate respectfully and avoid making deliberately inflammatory statements that are liable to cause fights. As always, every member, whatever his or her religion, is encouraged to report posts that are offensive.

ACC
05-23-2007, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777

Do you pray for all people that are suffering or just people that agree with you?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.