/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rare Deep-Sea Shark Caught on Film

جوري
05-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Rare Deep-Sea Shark Caught on Film
By REUTERS
TOKYO (Jan. 23) - A species of shark rarely seen alive because its natural habitat is 2,000 feet or more under the sea was captured on film by staff at a Japanese marine park this week.

The Awashima Marine Park in Shizuoka, south of Tokyo, was alerted by a fisherman at a nearby port on Sunday that he had spotted an odd-looking eel-like creature with a mouthful of needle-sharp teeth.

Marine park staff caught the 5-foot-long creature, which they identified as a female frilled shark, sometimes referred to as a "living fossil" because it is a primitive species that has changed little since prehistoric times.

The shark appeared to be in poor condition when park staff moved it to a seawater pool where they filmed it swimming and opening its jaws.

"We believe moving pictures of a live specimen are extremely rare," said an official at the park. "They live between 600 and 1,000 meters under the water, which is deeper than humans can go."

"We think it may have come close to the surface because it was sick, or else it was weakened because it was in shallow waters," the official said.

The shark died a few hours after being caught.

Frilled sharks, which feed on other sharks and sea creatures, are sometimes caught in the nets of trawlers but are rarely seen alive.

Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

photos

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
.:Umniyah:.
05-25-2007, 02:40 AM
wow thanks for the share.

I wanted to be a marine biologist. I LOVE marine life. However, im a bit concern with this story. Are they sure this thing was sick already? or is that their excuse for how the thing died once they caught it?

*sigh* that was my problem with thinking about studying this profession, i believe loads of stuff go on with these animals all in the name of reserach and i dont exactly fansy that idea.

nonetheless, JazakAllahu khair for the post sis

:peace:

جوري
05-25-2007, 04:40 AM
I am not sure sis-- I was more interested in this from an "evolutionary" perspective-- they call it the "living fossil" to me, it is a confirmation that some species have gone extinct , while others managed to thrive and not evolve into some other sort.
Sobhan Allah...
yes I must admit biology was my first love-- but all of science works really well in concert... wish I can learn about everything, but I can't... So it is good to choose a career where there is always continuing education. Good way to combat Alzheimer

Muezzin
05-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Nothing to scare the pants off you like a bunch of prehistoric carnivores that never had to adapt.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
.:Umniyah:.
05-25-2007, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Nothing to scare the pants off you like a bunch of prehistoric carnivores that never had to adapt.
tell me about it.

And then what about the brave drivers who'll kill for that perfect picture or video :uuh:

i love marine life but im not sure i would do some of the stuff ive studied other peopel do. like this one scientist sat on a dead whale to get the 'perfect' shot of about 20 something sharks tearing away at the dead blabber. and he almost fall OFF! :omg:

Muezzin
05-25-2007, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by .:Umniyah:.
i love marine life but im not sure i would do some of the stuff ive studied other peopel do. like this one scientist sat on a dead whale to get the 'perfect' shot of about 20 something sharks tearing away at the dead blabber. and he almost fall OFF! :omg:
Now, that's what I call a paparrazi.

جوري
05-25-2007, 04:55 PM
more deadly sea creatures
Wish I knew how to insert those images here.. they are just brilliant...
I have some here on hard drive from a friend's trip so I'll just upload those

جوري
05-25-2007, 04:57 PM

smile
05-25-2007, 09:13 PM
cool photos

جوري
05-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks.. it is not that expensive to take diving lessons... so you can be taking your own photos soon and sharing them insha'Allah =)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.