"Keeping out of my business, that would be nice..."
"But it's her duty to encourage you do to good."
"Trust me. That was no encouragement. And what do you mean `good` ?"
"Well, wearing hijab, that would be a good thing to do."
"Says who?"
"It's in the Qur'an, isn't it?"
"Yes. She did quote me something."
"She said Surah Nur, and other places of the Qur'an."
"Yes, but it's not a big sin anyway. Helping people and praying is more important."
"True. But big things start with small things."
"That's a good point, but what you wear is not important. What's important is to have a good healthy heart."
"What you wear is not important?"
"That's what I said."
"Then why do you spend an hour every morning fixing up?"
"What do you mean?"
"You spend money on cosmetics, not to mention all the time you spend on fixing your hair and low-carb dieting."
"So?"
"So, your appearance IS important."
"No. I said wearing hijab is not an important thing in religion."
"If it's not an important thing in religion, why is it mentioned in the Holy Qur'an?"
"You know I can't follow all that's in Qur'an."
"You mean God tells you something to do, you disobey and then it's OK?"
"Yes. God is forgiving."
"God is forgiving to those who repent and do not repeat their mistakes."
"Says who?"
"Says the same book that tells you to cover."
"But I don't like hijab, it limits my freedom."
"But the lotions, lipsticks, mascara and other cosmetics set you free?! What`s your definition of freedom anyway?"
"Freedom is in doing whatever you like to do."
"No. Freedom is in doing the right thing, not in doing whatever we wish to do."
"Look! I've seen so many people who don't wear hijab and are nice people, and so many who wear hijab and are bad people."
"So what? There are people who are nice to you but are alcoholic. Should we all be alcoholics? You made a stupid point."
"I don't want to be an extremist or a fanatic. I'm OK the way I am without hijab."
"Then you are a secular fanatic. An extremist in disobeying God."
"You don't get it, if I wear hijab, who would marry me?!"
"So all these people with hijab never get married?!"
"Okay! What if I get married and my husband doesn't like it? And wants me to remove it?"
"What if your husband wants you to go out with him on a bank robbery?!"
"That's irrelevant, bank robbery is a crime."
"Disobeying your Creator is not a crime?"
"But then who would hire me?"
"A company that respects people for who they are."
"Not after 9-11"
"Yes. After 9-11. Don't you know about Hanan who just got into med school? And the other one, what was her name, the girl who always wore a white hijab…ummm…"
"Yasmeen?"
"Yes. Yasmeen. She just finished her MBA and is now interning for GE."
"Why do you reduce religion to a piece of cloth anyway?"
"Why do you reduce womanhood to high heals and lipstick colors?"
"You didn't answer my question."
"In fact, I did. Hijab is not just a piece of cloth. It is obeying God in a difficult environment. It is courage, faith in action, and true womanhood. But your short sleeves, tight pants…"
"That's called `fashion`, you live in a cave orsomething? First of all, hijab was founded by men who wanted to control women."
"Really? I did not know men could control women by hijab."
"Yes. That's what it is."
"What about the women who fight their husbands to wear hijab? And women in France who are forced to remove their hijab by men? What do you say about that?"
"Well, that's different."
"What difference? The woman who asked you to wear hijab…she was a woman, right?"
"Right, but…"
"But fashions that are designed and promoted by male-dominated corporations, set you free? Men have no control on exposing women and using them as a commodity?! Give me a break!"
"Wait, let me finish, I was saying…"
"Saying what? You think that men control women by hijab?"
"Yes."
"Specifically how?"
"By telling women how and what to wear, dummy!"
"Doesn't TV, magazines and movies tell you what to wear, and how to be `attractive'?"
"Of course, it's fashion."
"Isn't that control? Pressuring you to wear what they want you to wear?"
[Silence]
"Not just controlling you, but also controlling the market."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, you are told to look skinny and anorexic like that woman on the cover of the magazine, by men who design those magazines and sell those products."
"I don't get it. What does hijab have to do with products."
"It has everything to do with that. Don't you see? Hijab is a threat to consumerism, women who spend billions of dollars to look skinny and live by standards of fashion designed by men…and then here is Islam, saying trash all that nonsense and focus on your soul, not on your looks, and do not worry what men think of your looks."
"Like I don't have to buy hijab? Isn't hijab a product?"
"Yes, it is. It is a product that sets you free from male-dominated consumerism."
"Stop lecturing me! I WILL NOT WEAR HIJAB! It is awkward, outdated, and totally not suitable for this society ... Moreover, I am only 20 and too young to wear hijab!"
"Fine. Say that to your Lord, when you face Him on Judgment Day."
"Fine."
"Fine."
[Silence]
"Shut up and I don't want to hear more about hijab niqab schmijab Punjab!"
[Silence]
She stared at the mirror, tired of arguing with herself all this time.
Successful enough, she managed to shut the voices in her head, with her own opinions triumphant in victory on the matter, and a final modern decision accepted by the society - but rejected by the Faith:
"Yes!" - to curls on the hair - "No!" - to hijab!
"And he (/she) is indeed a failure who corrupts it [the soul]!"[Holy Quran 91:10]
Subhana'Allah!!!
"Nay! You prefer the life of this world; While the hereafter is better and more lasting."[Holy Quran: 87:16-17]
"You are the best community (Ummah) raised up for (the benefit of) humanity; enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong and believing in Allah."[Holy Quran: 3:110]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 11:54 AM
:salamext:

Maasha Allaah that's really nice, n cleva. :) jazaak Allaah khayr sis.

ummzayd
05-27-2007, 12:04 PM
:sl:

nice post sis so many excellent points there, jazakAllahu khairan

:w:

Helena
05-27-2007, 01:13 PM
mashAllah great post sis....

shukran jazilaan..:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tryinghard
07-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Very inspirational and powerful message. I'm a female college student and I don't wear hijab. I was born Muslim but didn't start praying and reading the Quran regularly until now. I really want to become a better Muslim. My parents and other family members do not think it is a good idea for me to wear hijab and discourage me from doing that. To be honest, I keep wavering on it too. I dress modestly and don't wear make-up/wear flattering hairstyles. I've been trying to be a good Muslim and be pure internally. But is it necessary that I wear the hijab? Please don't be angry at me, I really want to be a good Muslim so this is why I'm asking.

tears4husain
07-18-2007, 05:01 AM
:sl: I got to have my wife read this

Malaikah
07-18-2007, 05:43 AM

Wearing the hijab is compulsory sis. :)

Why don't your parents want you to wear it? Are they worried for you? Thousands of Muslim girls wear hijab in the west, and they rarely get abused for it.

Hasan Ibn Omer
08-04-2013, 03:30 PM
(the Hijab is being reformed)

The 20th century has been a time of growth for western society and through out the 20th century Islam has been under attack, one of the main topics are the way Muslim women dress i.e the Hijab. We will look at the way Muslim women dress today and how far they have come from the Sunnah of the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) and the influence western society has had on Muslim women in the 20th century.

We start with what Muslim women are ment to base the way they dress on:

Verses from the Qur'an. The first in Surat al-Nur reads, "And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss". (Qur'an 24:31).

So we can see it says very clearly that Muslim women must cover their body and hair and only show to who is not Mahrah their face and hands.

For hundreds of years Muslim women held up to this and held the way they dress in a very high regard. But with Islam under such scrutiny in the 20th century you see western society taking a hold and molding the way Muslim women are dressing and acting..

(The Difference)

Ask yourself what is the difference between a Hijabi and a normal girl?

A true Hijabi covers herself for the sake of Allah and no other, she holds herself in the highest of manners, she covers her hair, figure, feet, and has the up most of manners.

She does not wear:

High Heels, (High Heels fake a woman's height which is not aloud in Islam, and they push up and out a woman's buttocks which is not aloud in Islam because it is showing what she is meant to be hiding.)

Makeup, (Some makeup is ok but only light makeup and if it glorify your beauty then it's not aloud.).

Manners, (A Hijabi has the up most manners, she does not talk with the flirtatious voice or act with a flirtatious manner with non Mahram men, she does not swear and watches the words that come out her mouth, she does not act as others act she sets a standard for others to follow.)

Free mix,(A Hijabi does not free mix in social investments, whether that be a physical investment or cyber investment, free mixing i.e Facebook, Bebo, MySpace, and all other sites.)

Facebook free mixing, (a Muslim woman does not add males to her facebook that are not Mahram to her, Why? Because whether in Hijab or not in Hijab it is not aloud for males to be looking at women not Mahram to them pictures, and Facebook conversations are just as sinful as a face to face conversation, they can even be more because the shame that you would have in a face to face conversation is taken out the frame, people can say and do what they like with no shame on a computer, or mobile phone. )

As Muslim women you must guard beauty, act in a modest manner (putting Hijab on does not mean your modest it is a step towards modesty). A Muslim woman should hold to the Sunnah and Quran. to often you see Muslim women saying "One day I'll change" The day never comes, years go bye!

MAKE ONE DAY THIS DAY.

Nur Student
08-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Jazakall'Allahi Khayr for this marvelous post, Sister.

Icy Maiden
08-06-2013, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Wearing the hijab is compulsory sis.
Who says that?

Iceee
08-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Salaam.

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Wearing the hijab is compulsory sis.
format_quote Originally Posted by Icy Maiden
Who says that?
Define Compulsory:
Adjective
  1. Required by law or a rule; obligatory.
  2. Involving or exercising compulsion; coercive.

[Chapter 24 Verse 31] And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

The Prophet of Islam (peace and blessings be upon him) tells us that the hijab is compulsory. Why? We can give many reasons to give woman as to why the hijab is mandatory (less fitnah etc.) but it is your choice as to whether or not you wear it or not. It's in the Quran, the hadith, and most scholars will agree. We advise you to wear hijab but we cannot and will not judge, that is up to Allah as to what your intentions were to wear the hijab or not. The media bombards us with many males and females who they believe are beautiful and they try to spread the message as to how everyone should look like. But as a female, you should cover yourself up only for your future husband. If woman knew what men were thinking, the modest ones would cover themselves right away as to ward off the fitnah. Uncover yourself in front of your husband, on the wedding night, he will appreciate you so much more Inshallah for your commitment to Islam. Almost all Men have physical desire, whether you think so or not is up to you. Whether it's the boy who is quiet and says nothing, or the boy who says salaam to you everyday, they are all driven on sexual desires. Men are like that, and it's up to you to protect yourself from desires (before rape or anything occurs).

In conclusion, wearing the hijab is compulsory in front of non-mahrams. You can take off hijab in your home infront of your husband, children under the age of puberty etc. Inshallah you will be rewarded and benefited for wearing the hijab in this dunya, which will grant you Jannah inshallah in the here-after. Wear it noot because you have to, wear it because you choose to for Allah and Allah only, not because a brother on IslamicBoard or an Imam told you to.

Icy Maiden
08-06-2013, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
In conclusion, wearing the hijab is compulsory in front of non-mahrams.
Do you realize what it is that you are saying? You're saying that if I don't wear the hijab before non-mahrams Allah will punish me.

Are you 100% sure that He will?

Ali Mujahidin
08-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I have absolutely no idea what Allah will do exactly to you if you do not obey Allah. What I do believe is that if I do not obey Allah unconditionally without question, then I am guilty of shirk and if I am guilty of shirk then there is no hope for me.

Muslim Woman
08-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Do you realize what it is that you are saying? You're saying that if I don't wear the hijab before non-mahrams Allah will punish me.

we are supposed to be punished if we disobey Allah . Of Course it's up to Him if He will forgive us or not . But I don't understand why did u ask such question about a matter which is Fard for Muslim Women.

Icy Maiden
08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
we are supposed to be punished if we disobey Allah .
What happened to the God who is supposed to forgive? The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- said that Allah will save a man of his community the record of whose sins fills 99 books, each book extending as far as the eye can see. Against all this will be weighed the one good deed that he has, which is his witnessing that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger, and it will outweigh all the rest. The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- then said: "Nothing is of any weight with Allah's Name." [The hadith begins: innallaha sayukhallisu rajulan min ummati...] - Narrated from `Abd Allah ibn `Amr ibn al-`As by Ahmad, Tirmidhi.

Ali Mujahidin
08-08-2013, 04:52 PM
What happened to the God who is supposed to forgive?
I have a nagging feeling that you have confused Allah with some other mythical figure. The power to forgive rests with Allah. It is Allah's prerogative to forgive whosoever Allah desires. However, please do not confuse this with assuming that Allah is obligated in any way to forgive anyone.

Islam, to remind myself and you, too, is not a religion where you can get away with committing all kinds of sins and get a guaranteed passage to heaven just by believing.

faithandpeace
08-08-2013, 10:59 PM
What happened to the God who is supposed to forgive?
Assalamu alaikum and Eid Mubarak! It has been demonstrated that hijab in front of non-mahrams is fard. Intentions are backed up by actions. If one believes in the message of the Shahada, then he or she will sincerely wish to back that up with action which is to follow what Allah (swt) has required of us and also what His Messenger (saw) advised for us. If one is not doing something that is fard, then it is the responsibility of the Muslim to repent to Allah (swt) for the sin, ask for forgiveness, and help to avoid the sin in the future. Allah (swt) chooses to forgive what He wills. Some of your opinions appear outside the fold of Islam.

Allah (swt) knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.