/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am struggling in my faith Islam, I have questions in my head.

AnonymousPoster
05-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Am struggling in my faith Islam, I have questions in my head.
I’m female in my late teen, since when I was little my mum and dad focused me to wear hijab and skirt. I wasn’t allowed to do anything when I was little (couldn’t play in the park, run around) where as my brothers were allowed to do anything they want. I was taught to clean the house and cook since I was seven. I was a mini adult. I miss my childhood, I wanna experience being child. Obviously I can’t be one now it too late.

Anyways bcos of this I have questions, in my head. I think Islam is sexes in many ways.
Wanna get this out of my head and be a good Muslim. If you could answer few question for me (short answers not essay, no offensive):

1)How comes women can’t wear perfumes when men can? I mean surely men wearing one is gonna cause attention from opposite sex?

2)How comes women have to wear hijab and men don’t wear nothing.
3)How comes women have to stay at home, cook and clean?

4)How comes prophet Mohammed emphasized women behavior in Hadeth etc Why say women are going to hell etc

5)Why is that men are the ones that lead the payers?

6)Why do women have more responsibility in Islam?

7)How comes men are allowed to have four wives and can love one more in his heart? (Like prophet Mohammed p.b.u.h who loves Aisha the most) What the point of having more than one wife when ur gonna love one more?

Please don’t think I am against Islam or something is that I have lack of knowledge and I wanna learn more? It just that I think Islam is suited to men more but I wanna change this view. Thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Philosopher
05-26-2007, 11:59 PM
1.) Women can wear perfume.
2.) Men have an Islamic dress code as well.
3.) A woman's only duty is to take care of the children. She has no other responsibility. If she wants, she can work or be a businesswoman.
4.) Umm...women are the majority of the world's population.
5.) If women leads prayers, the men can peak at her behind.
6.) Men have more responsibility in Islam. As previously said, women only need to take care of the children. Men have to work, make an income and provide for the family, among other things.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-27-2007, 12:00 AM
dont take advice to do with islam from a non muslim

there are perfectly rational and understandable reasons for all the above issues.

please give me time inshaAllah, i will answer from the voice of a mufti, not my own.

please bare with me inshaAllah

AnonymousPoster
05-27-2007, 09:38 AM
it kl thanks

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummzayd
05-27-2007, 09:43 AM
:sl:

That is very sad. There is no islamic reason that I know of why a little girl shouldn't run around the park. It seems to me bordering on cruelty to prevent a child, who is naturally full of exuberance and pent-up energy, from running and playing. :cry: Perhaps your parents had good intentions but I do think they were mistaken in this.

Hijab is not fardh for children until puberty. Many little girls love to copy their mothers by wearing hijab and this is good to encourage, as long as the parent accepts it if they choose to take it off sometimes too. sadly by forcing something that is not even fardh on their children some parents cause the child to hate it.

I want to address your question number 3, the short answer is, it is not part of the Islamic marriage contract that a woman cooks & cleans, I have seen fatawa that in marriage the man must provide financially for his wife, and the wife must be sexually availabe for the husband except for when she has a good excuse, and that is basically it.

the rest (cooking & cleaning etc.) is negotiable and flexible according to circumstances - for example, perhaps the man (or woman) is rich enough for a servant to do all that stuff (actually if the woman was brought up with servants then it can be part of the marriage contract that the man provides this for her). Or maybe the couple decide they want a high standard of living and both need to have jobs for that, therefore they will also share the housework. Usually though, the man works and the woman gets pregnant and has a child or two (or more). so, being at home with the children she naturallywill be responsible for keeping the home clean, and cooking meals and so on. Being a housewife doesn't make her the servant of her husband & children though.

All children, as a matter of common sense, should be taught to help out in the household chores. actually it is the sunnah to help out. children, boys and girls, should certainly learn how to look after their own needs. It is not an Islamic virtue to get your daughter to serve her brothers. keeping your sons as helpless children when it comes to basic survival skills such as cooking and keeping one's environment clean, is a Very Bad Thing, not something to be proud of.

still, if your mother taught you to cook nutritionally balanced and tasty meals then be very thankful, it's a dying skill in this society which relies so much on instant ready meals and takeaways. When you have children insha'Allah you will be happy that you can feed them with good food and not rubbish (and insha'Allah you will pass on your skills to your girls AND boys hehe).

:w:

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 10:17 AM
:salamext:

Before you read this, the scholars do have a difference of opinion. Some may say that this narration applies, others might say that a woman does the normal customs in the household for the husband, according to their culture. I.e. a bedouin who travels in the desert, it's required for the women to feed the animals, in Pakistan, the woman is required to cook the food etc. in the UK, the woman usually lookafters the children etc.

Now that you know the opinion mentioned above, i'll quote you something which Umar ibn Al Khattaab, a famous companion and successor of Allaah's Messenger (peace be upon him) did in a situation related to family affairs.

First of all, The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said: "The best among you is the one who is best to his wife" (Related by Ibn Hibban) in another version it is the one who is most kind to his wife.

Now look at this:

It is reported that a man came to 'Umar ibn Al-Khattab (may Allaah be pleased with him) to complain about his wife's ill-temper. While he was waiting for 'Umar to come out of his house, he heard 'Umar's wife scolding him and 'Umar quietly listening to her, and not answering her back. The man turned around and started walking away, muttering to himself: "If that is the case with 'Umar, the leader of the believers, who is famous for his uprighteness and toughness, then what about poor me?!" At that moment, 'Umar came out of his house and saw the man walking away. He called him and said, "What is it you want of me, O man?" The man replied: "O leader of the believers, I came to complain to you about my wife's bad-temper and how she nags me. Then I heard your wife doing the same to you, so I turned around, muttering to myself, 'If that is the situation of the leader of the believers, then what about me?'" 'Umar replied, "O my brother, I bear with her because of her rights over me. She cooks my food, bakes my bread, washes my clothes, breast-feeds my child...and yet none of these are her duty;* and then she is a comfort to my heart and keeps me away from forbidden deeds. Consequently, I bear with her." The man said, "It is the same with me, O leader of the believers." 'Umar said: "Then, O my brother, be patient with her, indeed this life is short.

(Adh-Dhahabi, Al-Kabâ'ir 194)

http://www.islamicboard.com/428746-post12.html (Islam Is Sexist?)

And Allaah knows best.

AnonymousPoster
05-27-2007, 10:36 AM
wow well explained! Thanks everyone for all your help. I have read all the comment. Thanks :statisfie

barney
05-27-2007, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester

1)How comes women can’t wear perfumes when men can? I mean surely men wearing one is gonna cause attention from opposite sex?

4)How comes prophet Mohammed emphasized women behavior in Hadeth etc Why say women are going to hell etc

7)How comes men are allowed to have four wives and can love one more in his heart? (Like prophet Mohammed p.b.u.h who loves Aisha the most) What the point of having more than one wife when ur gonna love one more?
1) Women can wear perfume although wearing it in the presence of men other than a husband is offering temptation.
2) Men are also required to wear clothing that veils their bodies. It's not enforced like the Hjab is of course , but i think most muslims would say thats a social thing rather than a Islamic thing. The Hijab is to protect men from lustful thoughts and to conserve a womans modesty.
3) Thats not Islamic. True its how it's interpreted, but dependent on your country where you live, your rights will vary. I will say that if your in a western country, then tell your husband to wash the plates himself, go out with your mates, get a job and enjoy life.
4) The hadith only reads that women who complain or who are ungrateful are going to hell. Just dont complain.
5) The only explaination i have is that Women are according to the prophet, deficent in religion. The other arguement is that the men would have their (insatiablely lustful) minds on the female speaker rather than Allah.
Volume 1, Book 6, Number 301:
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

Once Allah's Apostle went out to the Musalla (to offer the prayer) o 'Id-al-Adha or Al-Fitr prayer. Then he passed by the women and said, "O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you (women)." They asked, "Why is it so, O Allah's Apostle ?" He replied, "You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you." The women asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?" He said, "Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?" They replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?" The women replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her religion."

6) They dont. They are helpers for men and providers of children. Men are a degree above women and so protect them.
7) Because its written in the Quran.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-27-2007, 12:06 PM
barney you are impressive :)

barney
05-27-2007, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
barney you are impressive :)

Im in Kuffar!
But I'm learning :D

IbnAbdulHakim
05-27-2007, 12:13 PM
lol may ALlah guide us all :D

proudmuslim
05-27-2007, 12:47 PM
assalmu alaykum
The answer to your seventh question:
In a delightful report about how Imam Abu Hanifah received his name (his original name was Numan bin Thaabit bin Zuta bin Mah), an account of why the wife is forbidden to take more than one husband is recounted. 'Abu Hanifah' is an unusual name because it means 'the father of Hanifah', and Hanifah was his daughter. It was not the custom in those days to do this. Normally, the name would be 'the father of the name of a son.' How this came about is quite edifying.

One day the great Imam Abu Hanifah was asked a question that, for the first time in his illustrious career, he was unable to answer. The question was, "Why were women forbidden to marry more than one husband at a time?"

To make a long story short, Abu Hanifah's daughter said that she knew the answer and would solve this question if her father would make a promise to her that if she succeeded in solving this problem, he would then assure her a place in history. Abu Hanifah agreed.

So she gathered a group of women together and gave each of them a cup. Then she brought in a large bowl of milk and asked each of them to dip their cups in the milk and to fill their cups. They did so. She then asked them to pour back the milk into the bowl. They did this too. She then asked them to re-fill their cups taking back only their own milk that they had poured into the bowl.

This, obviously, was impossible to do. Hanifah had clearly demonstrated the kind of predicament that would be created if a woman had several husbands. With more than one husband, if she were to become pregnant, she would have exceptional difficulties determining who the actual father was. Identifying parentage and lineage would then be insurmountable for the offspring. Imam Abu Hanifah was so pleased with her answer that he took the name 'Abu Hanifah', 'the father of Hanifah', so his daughter did indeed earn a place in history.

wasalam

vpb
05-27-2007, 01:05 PM
it's hard for a woman to earn money to hold 4 men in the house, they are very few, bc a man can work anything just to earn some money for his family (digging ditches, workin heavy work, cleaning garbage. driving trucks for days etc) where as woman cannot do these type of jobs, and it doesn't fit for a woman to dig ditches :p , and as long as for a woman with a college degree, not all women can be a graduate, so those who don't graduate should they work those type of heavy works? of course not, so that's why the men is fit to do these type of jobs even he doesn't have a degree and take care of his family. so for a woman to hold 4 man it's a lot of work :( which a woman would get tired from working too much. and man are more capable physicaly to work and hold 4 women. this does not include kids with 4 men :p which would be a great pain for a woman. so be satisfied that actually Allah swt has put less work on your shoulders than on men. Allah swt knows what to choose, cuz he created us and knows our capabilites for stuff. also if a woman would marry 4 men, then the men should take care of kids? how good are men on taking care of the kids? it would be devistating for society to apply such rule. so be happy with the kadar of Allah swt.

AnonymousPoster
05-27-2007, 01:33 PM
No offensive some questions are still not answered? Just two question but the rest I understood.

What I mean is outside their homes and men?

2) How comes men are allowed to have four wives and can love one more in his heart?

What mean by this is that when a man like marries 4 women, he is obviously gonna love one more than the other! (Like Prophet Mohammed p.b.u.h who loves Aisha the most). Yeah I know about treating them equally and stuff what the point marrying a guy not full into you instead he is into his other wife bcos he loves her more.

ummzayd
05-27-2007, 01:52 PM
No offensive some questions are still not answered? Just two question but the rest I understood.

2) How comes men are allowed to have four wives and can love one more in his heart?

What mean by this is that when a man like marries 4 women, he is obviously gonna love one more than the other! (Like Prophet Mohammed p.b.u.h who loves Aisha the most). Yeah I know about treating them equally and stuff what the point marrying a guy not full into you instead he is into his other wife bcos he loves her more.
1. God made it so that men are usually more quickly and easily aroused than women (sorry if that is too explicit please edit if so). so while a nice smelling good looking man might be pleasing to a woman, if he's a stranger she can make a decision to look away and it is (usually) fairly easy to put him out of her mind.

however to a man a nice-smelling good looking woman is like a stick of dynamite and I think is a LOT more of a test for the man than the same is for a woman.

that is my opinion and Allah knows best.

:sl:

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 01:52 PM

:salamext:

I'm not totally sure, but we have to realise that usually men are more confident than females and are prepared to actually approach a woman if he finds her physically attractive right? And we know that nice perfumes increase a persons desire in a way.

Now if a woman saw a guy, and he smelled nice. Would she be ready to approach him by herself and start a relationship with him? Or would it be easier for a guy to approach a woman and start a relationship with her? Obviously some people may differ, but the majority i feel would agree that a male is more 'daring' in that matter compared to females, since the female may feel scared of being rejected and therefore that might emotionally stop her.

We know that the number of women in the world is much greater than the number of males, you've probably also heard the argument about lots of men dying in wars etc, women having longer life spans etc.

So if we were to say that every single man is married to only one woman, then the rest of the women - what's supposed to happen to them? They can remain single, yet they have emotions and feelings too.

What would happen in a corrupt society, the women could be used and abused like some guys do to females, i.e. taking them as mistresses, or sending them as prostitutes etc. so their children would have no fathers, and we know that if a child doesn't have a fatherly figure (especially in the age between 7 till maybe the teenage years) the child is psychologically affected since they require a male figure to look upto, and a motherly figure who is caring to them.

What's the best solution? Allaah has permitted polygamy and has limited it to 4 wives if the husband can deal with them justly.

Now if he is dealing with them justly, then that means that he should also treat them with respect, fairness, justice etc. if he stays with them, they are lawful for him and as he lives with them, he's bound to get love for them anyway since Allaah has created us this way.

I personally think that males can love more than one woman, and others have a right to a difference of opinion. The amount of love he has for them may differ, but that is a direct consequence of the fact that he has married others too.

If the question is why he's permitted to have more than 1, again we have to go back to the argument that if these 'extra' women aren't married - they're just going to face harm and lose their innocence through another way. Imagine being a woman who isn't married, and all the other males are, wouldn't you still want a man?

If Allaah has permitted something, it's because He is the All-Wise, All-Knowing. Even if we can't understand that concept. I know jealousy can sometimes get in the way, but if we remain patient and place our trust in Allaah - then He will remove this evil and place something good in it's place.

I hope you understand that insha Allaah, and i hope you didn't take any offense. And Allaah knows best.

جوري
05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
W/out stealing anyone's thunder here, if you are afraid your hubby will bring home another woman, remember you always have the right to a divorce!
You shouldn't be in a marriage that you didn't consent to!
I am not sure why your parents asked you to wear hijab as a child and not run around and play with other little children, but I suspect that is a more cultural than religious issue.
Good hygiene is not only encouraged, but mandated so bathe and use your fineries just don't do it to attract men. I don't think I know of a woman that has a larger perfume collection than mine.
Women don't have to stay at home cook and clean, again a cultural thing-- we have several sisters here with PhD's and MD's but the majority are attending universities. check out our how educated are you thread!
There is nothing in Islam that forbids you from owning your own business, fighting in wars, or pursuing higher learning.
read about women in Islam
Om 3omara who went out to fight in a war along side the men
khwala bint Alzwar
hind who took from state funds to start her own business
Khadija who had her own business
BTW Women are also the majority of folks in heaven.
Sommaya was the first to be martyred in the name of Islam. ( a woman)
everyone gets what they have worked for. as evidenced in suret az-zalzalah
فَمَن يَعْمَلْ مِثْقَالَ ذَرَّةٍ خَيْرًا يَرَهُ {7}
[Pickthal 99:7] And whoso doeth good an atom's weight will see it then,

وَمَن يَعْمَلْ مِثْقَالَ ذَرَّةٍ شَرًّا يَرَهُ {8}
[Pickthal 99:8] And whoso doeth ill an atom's weight will see it then.

so make up for prayers and fast you've missed and earn your status in the hereafter -- and have a talk with your parents about things that have displeased you in your upbringing, or at least don't make the same mistakes with your own children if/when you have them
:w:

Rafeeq
05-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Dear SIS
AOA
May Allah bless we both.
I am one of the student of islam like you, i m not scholer. I would like to address your last question No7. Sis, few things in Islam are called MUHEKIMAAT and we have to accept them as it is.
This is the order of Allah and there is a valid scientific reason for this also. You can browse it on net and find.
There are several Dos and Don'ts for both a man and a woman. We should not compare them as these are from the Creator (Khaliq-Allah) who knows us best. He made us man or woman and He knows best for us.
May Allah clear this and bless you.
Maasalama

Sunnih
05-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Am struggling in my faith Islam, I have questions in my head.
I’m female in my late teen, since when I was little my mum and dad focused me to wear hijab and skirt. I wasn’t allowed to do anything when I was little (couldn’t play in the park, run around) where as my brothers were allowed to do anything they want. I was taught to clean the house and cook since I was seven. I was a mini adult. I miss my childhood, I wanna experience being child. Obviously I can’t be one now it too late.

Anyways bcos of this I have questions, in my head. I think Islam is sexes in many ways.
Wanna get this out of my head and be a good Muslim. If you could answer few question for me (short answers not essay, no offensive):

Please don’t think I am against Islam or something is that I have lack of knowledge and I wanna learn more? It just that I think Islam is suited to men more but I wanna change this view. Thank you
Salam alaikum. My sister. Indeed the way your pearents behaved toward you was wrong and very harsh and extreeme. However you must (I hope you do) understand that they did try to bring you up in the best manner they new. It is a must on you now to gain correct knowledge in Islam so as not to fall into the same or similar mistakes as they did. May Allah make it easy for you.

As far as you missing your childhood and that you think it is too late, you are wrong as most of the fun and enjoyment of childhood you can have and enjoy with your husband and indeed it is part of islam to be understanding to your wife and play with her and joke and run and lough and so on and so forth.

I will try to give my oppinion on your questions:

Women cen wear parfume and Islam is the first to have devided parfume into male and female parfumes. The hadith describe the parfume of women as colour and no scent while the parfume of men as scent and no colour. This does not mean that the women's parfume does not carry any scent at all but it is very mild and you have to be very close to smell it. Also within her house, there is no prohibition on females wearing parfume. The prohibition is only when going out. Now as far as the difference between men and women in this regard and your say that men can get attention too, you should realise that women has been made by Allah more attracting than men even if they do not wear any ornaments at all. Also the harm upon the men on women wearing parfume is greater than that of men on women as even the temtation is greater as once the woman is married she is complete in her needs while if the man is married still he can take a second, third and fourth wife as wel. Shaytan will temt him more easy than the woman who has a husband already. There are also other reasons but as you mentioned I will not elongate the answer any further.

First men to have to wear something but you mean not wear hijab. Now remember that woman does not have to wear hijab if she stays at home. She only wears hijab when she goes out and in the presence of non mahram men. Remember also that woman does not have to work in Islam and the man has to provide for her. This being the case, men have to be engaged more than the women in work and other matters so this difference becomes needed.

You should remember that the oppinion of the majority of schoolars (Abu Hanifa, Melik and Shafi') say that the woman does not have an obligation to do any of such for the husband. However as the husband is out all day working and earning a living it is a moral obligation for her to help as much as she can. Also some schoolars have said that if she does not cook at all even for herself then she does not need to cook for her husband too while if she cooks for herself she must cook for her family too. Husbands should help as well and the best of the sons of Adam, Muhamed was always engaged in helping and serving his family as stated in sahih Al-Bukhary.

First of all he did not say that women will go to hell but only stated that the majority of the inhabitants of hell are women and there is a big difference between the two. Don't forget that the majority of the inhabitants of Jannah is also women. Also don't forget that the prophet said that the woman is the treasure of this world and other than it. You should take the ahadith together.

Only when women and men are present. Woman can lead women and children. Remember that one of the reasons is also to avoid temptation like when the prophet described the worst row of men to be the nearest to the women.

This is not true. Women are exempted from salah during their menses, from fasting also during the menses, they do not have to do jihaad, they do not have to make hajj if they do not have a mahram, they do not have to provide for the family, they are forgiven if they can not make hijrah and the list goes on and on.

Remember that if women did have more than one husband then no one would know whose the child is. Inheritance would be a mess and financial rights also would be unclear. there are other reasons and bookshave been written on this topic. You can read them. As for marriage and love, man can marry four wifes but he has to treat them equally as the hadith state that the man who does not treat them equally will come on the day of judgement inclining on one side and of course this implies that he will be taken to task for it. As for: What is the point of having more than one wife when you are going to love one more? The answer is easy and from another question: What is the point having more than one child when you will love one more?

Dear sister. Allah has made things obligatory and forbidden. Some He has incouraged and some He has disscouraged to be performed. Some He has allowed us to do. No doubt that all this has it's wisdom behind it. Some of it we can understand and some of it we do not understand. This does not mean that what we do not understand, no one knows. That is why we all should strive to learn about our religion as much as we can. In this way our ignorance and the whispering of shaytan will be expelled from us and the ummah in general. I pray to Allah that He grants us all beneficial knowledge and correct understanding of the affairs. Verily success comes only from Him

Wa salamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.