/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol....its fine in small doses!!!!!

Medina83
05-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah right....

Allah swt knows best and im so sick of hearing this (the title of this thread) from people....

you know the scary thing is, when a girl born, all her reproductive eggs are present so everything you do (drinking smoking etc) all has effect on your ability to conceive....

just another proof Quran is word of Allah swt...
http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?...mentid=5025889

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 03:08 PM
:salamext:

Yeah, i saw that on the news just yesterday.

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "Of that which intoxicates in a large amount, a small amount is haram. [forbidden]" (Reported by Ahmad Abu Dawood, and At-Tirmidhi.)

And again, "If a bucketful intoxicates, a sip of it is haram." (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawood, and At-Tirmidhi.)

Source

Hamas
05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

So basically drinking alcohol, wheather in small or large amounts is haraam? :-[

tomtomsmom
05-27-2007, 03:20 PM
So this may be a dumb question, but I have to ask.

Is it harram to put alcohol on the skin?
IE: Cleaning a cut with it?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamas
05-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

As far as i know you can be bathed in alcohol, of course unintentionally but your still clean as long as its not inside you, even applying scent which has alcohol in it is ok so long as its not inside you, am i right or am i wrong?

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Question:

Is it permissible to use medicine that contains as one of its ingredients alcohol? Is it permissible to use if it is being applied to the skin only?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If the medicine containing alcohol is essentially an intoxicant, such that drinking a large amount of it would make one drunk, then it is haraam to take it or to give it, because the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whatever makes one drunk in large amounts, a little of it is haraam" (Reported by the four muhadditheen and others; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 5530). If it is not an intoxicant, then it is permitted to give it and to apply it to the skin, etc.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=601&ln=eng&txt=

And in another fatwa its stated:

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect. End quote.

Liqaa’aat il-Baab il-Maftoohah, 3/231.

Ruling on medicines that are mixed with alcohol
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=40530&ln=eng&txt=

And Allaah knows best.

Strzelecki
05-27-2007, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
So this may be a dumb question, but I have to ask.

Is it harram to put alcohol on the skin?
IE: Cleaning a cut with it?
I think this is okay. :)

cal
05-27-2007, 03:53 PM
its so simple drinking alcohol in any amounts even added in candy or food or just alone is haram that's it simple

Pk_#2
05-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Cough

AsalamuAlaykum.

shev
05-27-2007, 06:30 PM
It is said that if you know that even one drop of alcohol falls in to sea, you shouldn't swallow water of that sea......

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shev
It is said that if you know that even one drop of alcohol falls in to sea, you shouldn't swallow water of that sea......

Asalaamu 'alykum sister.

I'm sorry sister, but is that based on any hadith or anything? just so the people know whether its true or not.

If it isn't, then please say so, so no-one gets confused insha Allaah.

NoName55
05-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Not all types of alcohols are intoxicants!

NoName55
05-27-2007, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shev
I did not know that saltwaters were drinkable/palatable

shev
05-27-2007, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Asalaamu 'alykum sister.

I'm sorry sister, but is that based on any hadith or anything? just so the people know whether its true or not.

Hz. Ali'nin: "Bir kuyuya bir damla şarap düşse, sonra oraya bir minare yapılsa, o minarede ezan okumazdım ve bir damla şarap bir denize düşse sonra o deniz kuruyup da yerinde otlar bitse orada hayvan gütmezdim."
sorry I found the real words HZ Ali says :' if one drop of alcohol falls in a sea and then that sea dries and grass grows there I wouldn't pasture my sheep there.'

chacha_jalebi
05-27-2007, 07:09 PM
salaam

ive heard ppl drink alchohol cos it makes you warm in dem lonely cold winter nights..

well correct me if im wrong wasnt a heater invented for that:D

alchohol is haram, no matta what

why drink it, it smells of wee or it makes u smell of it, it wil intoxicate u, you wil end up doin sumtin u dint wan, few yrs lata ur kidney or liver (not sure:embarrass) will die, den ul die, all cos of a drink smellin like wee:p

ur betta of drinkin dr pepper:shade: or vimto:D

shev
05-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Asalaamu 'alykum sister.

sorry I found the real words HZ Ali says :' if one drop of alcohol falls in a sea and then that sea dries and grass grows there I wouldn't pasture my sheep there.'

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Asalaamu 'alykum.

Jazaak Allaah khayr sister, thankyou. :)

chacha_jalebi
05-27-2007, 07:27 PM
mashallah @ hadhrat Ali (ra) dat shows how careful sahaba were to avoid haram:D

Dagless
05-27-2007, 07:50 PM
If something is being used to heal how can it be haram? I thought almost anything can become halal if it is to save a life. Medicine should be no different.

Nicotine is an intoxicant in large amounts, why isn't it haram? (rather than makrooh).
The same goes for tea and coffee which both contain caffeine.

What is the muslim definition for intoxication?

In the dictionary its anything which causes changes in emotion. Would antidepressants be haram? What about something simple like beta blockers?

Question:

Is it permissible to use medicine that contains as one of its ingredients alcohol? Is it permissible to use if it is being applied to the skin only?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If the medicine containing alcohol is essentially an intoxicant, such that drinking a large amount of it would make one drunk, then it is haraam to take it or to give it, because the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whatever makes one drunk in large amounts, a little of it is haraam" (Reported by the four muhadditheen and others; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 5530). If it is not an intoxicant, then it is permitted to give it and to apply it to the skin, etc.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=601&ln=eng&txt=

And in another fatwa its stated:

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect. End quote.

Liqaa’aat il-Baab il-Maftoohah, 3/231.

Ruling on medicines that are mixed with alcohol
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=40530&ln=eng&txt=

And Allaah knows best.

NoName55
05-27-2007, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ferown
If something is being used to heal how can it be haram? I thought almost anything can become halal if it is to save a life. Medicine should be no different.

Nicotine is an intoxicant in large amounts, why isn't it haram? (rather than makrooh).
The same goes for tea and coffee which both contain caffeine.

What is the muslim definition for intoxication?

In the dictionary its anything which causes changes in emotion. Would antidepressants be haram? What about something simple like beta blockers?
:sl:
I think I am with you (not that I read Br.fi quote from islamqa)

most of these fatwah issuers have no groundinig in science and even reality in some cases.

and to the bloke who referred to alcohol as resembling wee thus being haram; we Muslims of today do not drink alcoholic beverages because it was specifically made haram for us. For Any real Muslim that order should be enough. If we start to become profane and liken it to wee, we are saying all the previous generations of Muslims including Umbiah (for whom it was halal) drank something that smells of or is like urine.

chacha_jalebi
05-27-2007, 09:30 PM
^ no namey bro i didnt say it haram, cos it smell like wee. i said why drink when it smells like that

i said its haram no matta what, not bcos it smells lol, i was jus givin social reasons:p

nocturne
05-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I dont have a source for this, but i was listening to BBC world service a couple o f months ago.

One of the researchers said, there is no concrete proof that drinking of alcohol in small amount helps one health (this is basically the defence of many alcoholics).

I have no idea what it feels like to be drunk or even how it tastes, but working in ambulance, i have come across many drunk patients. I dont see where you can draw the comparison between some one who is "intoxicated" with coffee/tea/tobacco.

Strzelecki
05-28-2007, 09:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
I did not know that saltwaters were drinkable/palatable
*Laughs*
I think it's a figure of speech. ^^

Dagless
05-28-2007, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne
I dont see where you can draw the comparison between some one who is "intoxicated" with coffee/tea/tobacco.
This is because coffee/tea/tobacco are taken in small amounts. I alcohol was taken in small amounts you would not see the comparison in that either. In very large amounts all of these substances intoxicate.

Dagless
05-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Also nobody has answered the questions on medication.

Strzelecki
05-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Not all types of alcohols are intoxicants!
If you drink them, and enough of it, I'm pretty sure they all are...
[What type isn't?]
format_quote Originally Posted by Ferown
Also nobody has answered the questions on medication.
A- 1) Alcohol in medicine, if there is no alternative and is not taken but for medical purposes, is permissible. However, we should always look for non-alcoholic medicine.

Not sure how reputable the site is, sorry if that info is wrong:
http://www.salaam.co.uk/counselling/...answers&id=154

NoName55
05-28-2007, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
If you drink them, and enough of it, I'm pretty sure they all are...
[What type isn't?]

A- 1) Alcohol in medicine, if there is no alternative and is not taken but for medical purposes, is permissible. However, we should always look for non-alcoholic medicine.

Not sure how reputable the site is, sorry if that info is wrong:
http://www.salaam.co.uk/counselling/...answers&id=154
Are you a chemist?:enough!:

"In chemistry, alcohol is a general term that is applied to any organic compound in which a hydroxyl group (-OH) is bound to a carbon atom, which in turn is bound to other hydrogen and/or carbon atoms. In chemistry, the term does not refer to intoxicating beverages, like it does in colloquial speech. There are numerous chemicals that are referred to as alcohols in chemistry. There is no Islamic legislation against alcohols as a chemical group. Islamic Law prohibits intoxicants, not alcohols. There is no mention of the term “alcohol” in the sacred texts of Islam. The sacred texts refer to wine and to intoxicants (drinkable spiritsand beers etc,).

The intoxicating substance in wine, beer and other liquors is known as ethanol. Ethanol is what is meant by the word “alcohol” in everyday speech. Ethanol is what is meant when someone says “alcoholic beverages are unlawful in Islam”.

Ethanol is the alcohol generally used in cooking and food preparation. The ruling on using foods that contain ethanol among their ingredients depends on how much ethyl alcohol remains in the food".

"There are other alcohols for instance, sodium lauryl sulfate is derived in a chemical process from another chemical known as lauryl alcohol (dodecanol). It is used mainly in soaps and detergents but can be found in some foods as an emulsifier. However, lauryl alcohol – which is sometimes used as a flavoring agent – is not the alcohol of intoxicating drinks. It is derived from coconut oil fatty acids.

Some sugar alcohols, like sorbitol and xylitol are used as sweeteners. A common sugar alcohol used as a food additive is glycerin".

NoName55
05-28-2007, 10:45 AM
I posted the following at another forum in response to alcohol in the coke hoax
First and foremost I will never drink from same cup as an Iranian even if my life depended on it, let alone buy a drink from them.

Secondly, guess who started this alcohol in Coke story.

Thirdly, Alcohol is a group of organic compounds, not every type of alcohol is an intoxicant. You'll get more dizzy light-headed if you ate very ripe soft fruits that had fallen off branches of their own accord or have been stored.

"In chemistry, alcohol is a general term for any organic compound in which a hydroxyl group (-OH) is bound to a carbon atom, which in turn is bound to other carbon atoms and further hydrogens. Other alcohols such as propylene glycol and the sugar alcohols may appear in food or beverages regularly, but these alcohols do not make them "alcoholic""

Any alcohol content in soft drinks is going to be similar to what is found naturally in fruit. You don't become drunk from eating normal amounts of fruit, even though it does contain some alcohol. Alcohol is found in tiny amounts in most foods naturally, such as honey, breads, fruits and vegetables etcetera.

Where there is sugars and moisture, alcohol will be there sooner or later

ma'asalaama

NobleMuslimUK
05-28-2007, 09:09 PM
The beloved Prophet Mohammad PBUH said alcohol is a disease, so how can a disease cure a disease.
These days majority of medicines are alcohol based.
Alcohol is haraam in all forms whether in medicine or just normal consumption, even touching it or selling it or even helping someone get it. A note to taxi drivers who mostly make most of their income from transporting clubbers and pubbers on wkends or most nights, that income is haraam for them since they are helping them in their sin.
Anything that fogs the mind is haraam, such as drugs, antidepressants. Coffee or tea doesnt fog the mind. Ciggarettes are haraam because they cause harm to the body.

Allah SWT knows best

NoName55
05-28-2007, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
The beloved Prophet Mohammad PBUH said alcohol is a disease, so how can a disease cure a disease.
Alcohol is haraam in all forms whether in medicine or just normal consumption, even touching it or selling it or even helping someone get it. A note to taxi drivers who mostly make most of their income from transporting clubbers and pubbers on wkends or most nights, that income is haraam for them since they are helping them in their sin.
Anything that fogs the mind is haraam, such as drugs, antidepressants. Coffee or tea doesnt fog the mind. Ciggarettes are haraam because they cause harm to the body.

Allah SWT knows best
You mean He P.B.U.H. actually used the term "alcohol"?
And do you mean All the Muslims and Holy Prophets drank "disease" (wine, ales) before His (PBUH) times?

wow! you mut be a scholar (for you know things that I don't even understand)

and you have experience with caffiene ? is it it same volume in tea coffee as Ethanol is in wines and beers?

antidepressants fog the mind? there was me, thinking they were designed to restore the natural chemical balance. You must be a chemist since you know know that about antidepressants, which is news to me

cal
05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
in a hadith of less or more meaning it says that if you it haram and drink alcohol ur salaat will not count for 6months.

Dagless
05-29-2007, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK

Allah SWT knows best
I'd like some quotes to back up your statements.
How can you say it is haram in all forms? and that even touching it is haram? What about disinfectants? Shall we abandon them??!
Lots of things fog the mind but how can you call them haram if they help? Many types of painkillers, cough medicines etc. can make you feel doped up and sleepy. Hell, when i take antihistamine's for my hayfever i sometimes feel drowsy and out of it. The effect is temporary though and its not like the people who use these drugs are doing it for kicks, they have a legitimate problem which the medication helps. Once the problem is gone they stop taking the meds.

NobleMuslimUK
05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
I hope the following helps.
Question:
I suffered from pain in my kidneys on a number of occasions, and I could hardly urinate. I went to the doctor, who told me: your treatment is to drink alcohol, because alcohol has the effect of dissolving kidney stones. Then I drank alcohol and benefitted from it a lot. Will Allaah hold me to account for drinking alcohol? Please give me the correct answer; may Allaah reward you with good.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for you to drink alcohol. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has answered this question. In Saheeh Muslim it is narrated that Taariq ibn Suwayd said: I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “What about the alcohol that we make for medicinal purposes?” He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No, in fact it is a disease.” He stated that it is a disease and that there is no cure in it. This hadeeth indicates that it is a disease, and in modern medicine, there is general consensus that alcohol is harmful in all cases. Many ( researchers ) have written books and articles on this topic, stating that the tissues of a forty-year old drinker’s body are like those of a sixty-year-old. Even though you may have benefitted as far as your kidneys are concerned, and you have noted that it had an effect, some other part of your body will inevitably have been harmed; alcohol causes harm in all cases. It is not permissible for you to drink it. There are permissible medicines which you can use to treat your kidneys, without using this thing. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O slaves of Allaah, seek medical treatment but do not seek it is anything haraam. For Allaah does not make the cure for this ummah in things that He has forbidden for it.” Even though you may have noticed a benefit in one way, it will inevitably cause a lot of harm in many other ways, as stated in the hadeeth of Taariq ibn Suwayd referred to above, which was narrated by Muslim. And Allaah knows best.

NoName55
05-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Irrelevant post^^ instead of answering questions posed going off on tangents ^^Posting on Islamic matters, without Knowledge is against the site rules^

which one of us, in this thread, claimed that it was permissable to drink alcoholic beverages?

Kittygyal
05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Irrelivant post^^ instead of answering questions post going off on tangents ^^

which one of us, in this thread, claimed that it was permissable to drink alcoholic beverages?
Salamualikum.
Not i
ma'assalama

NoName55
05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum.
Not i
ma'assalama
:w:

I am sorry I do not understand

Ma'assalama

NoName55
05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Please disregard the above post, now I do understand :)

cal
05-30-2007, 02:43 PM
ethonol i think its haram ill ask someone

Kittygyal
05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
:w:

I am sorry I do not understand

Ma'assalama
Salamualikum.

Don't ya just hate it when you fall asleep on forums and then next day wrote something which you don't know what you said and take ages to figure out what ya mean. Mwahahaha.

''which one of us, in this thread, claimed that it was permissable to drink alcoholic beverages?''

To aswer that question i said 'Not i' meaning i claim that it is NOT permissble to drink alcoholic beverages.

Ma'assalama

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.