PDA

View Full Version : Al Jazeera thrown out of press conference



Chuck
05-28-2007, 10:35 AM
An Al Jazeera television crew was thrown out of a press conference held by Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad yesterday.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index...rence&Itemid=0
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cognescenti
05-29-2007, 03:16 AM
....:)
Reply

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 03:27 AM
Iran controlling the news? :skeleton: You have to be kidding. :?
Reply

noodles
05-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
Iran controlling the news? :skeleton: You have to be kidding. :?
Don't you ever get tired of sarcasm :statisfie
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Philosopher
05-29-2007, 03:38 AM
LMAO.....they're as bad as FOX news.
Reply

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by noodles
Don't you ever get tired of sarcasm :statisfie
Sarcasm makes me simile. :D I like to simile. :D Laughter is the best medicine. :D It is better than taking meds. :D

Don't you like to :D .

If not, you have missed one of the best parts of life. :D :D :D :D
Reply

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by Philosopher
LMAO.....they're as bad as FOX news.
I could not agree less. I read Al Jazeera almost daily.
But then that is the English sight. I understand the Arabic side is a lot different.
Reply

Sami Zaatari
05-29-2007, 04:13 AM
this is old, it happened during the iranian presidents visit to UAE, he demanded they leave, they did, but they talked it out and they came back.
Reply

Cognescenti
05-29-2007, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
this is old, it happened during the iranian presidents visit to UAE, he demanded they leave, they did, but they talked it out and they came back.

Ahhh..what a guy that Ahmedinanutjob. Are the Nobel Peace Prize nominations closed for this year?
Reply

mohammed farah
05-29-2007, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
Sarcasm makes me simile. :D I like to simile. :D Laughter is the best medicine. :D It is better than taking meds. :D

Don't you like to :D .

If not, you have missed one of the best parts of life. :D :D :D :D
I have to agree:D
Reply

Sami Zaatari
05-29-2007, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Ahhh..what a guy that Ahmedinanutjob. Are the Nobel Peace Prize nominations closed for this year?
hey kicking them out verbally is better than bombing their offices and killing them as US forces did in iraq!
Reply

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
hey kicking them out verbally is better than bombing their offices and killing them as US forces did in iraq!
Another "Your momma is uglier than my momma" response. :skeleton:
To bad we don't wage perfect wars like you guys do. :?
Reply

Sami Zaatari
05-29-2007, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
Another "Your momma is uglier than my momma" response. :skeleton:
To bad we don't wage perfect wars like you guys do. :?
actually theres no comparison between verbally telling someone to go out than bombing their offices and killing them!
Reply

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
actually theres no comparison between verbally telling someone to go out than bombing their offices and killing them!
As I said:
To bad we don't wage perfect wars like you guys do.
Reply

guyabano
05-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
Sarcasm makes me simile. :D I like to simile. :D Laughter is the best medicine. :D It is better than taking meds. :D

Don't you like to :D .

If not, you have missed one of the best parts of life. :D :D :D :D

Yeah, but watch out ! Or did you forget the movie 'The name of the rose' ?
Reply

Muezzin
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
Sarcasm makes me simile. :D I like to simile. :D Laughter is the best medicine. :D It is better than taking meds. :D
I agree, but it's 'smile'. A 'simile' is a comparison of two different things, like 'I'm as cool as a cucumber'.

Anyway, just keeping the peace here. Everyone, let's not turn this into a slanging match like 70 % of the other threads in this section. Pretty please?
Reply

Keltoi
05-29-2007, 01:50 PM
It is usually a good sign when a news agency is distrusted by both sides of a situation.
Reply

Cognescenti
05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
I agree, but it's 'smile'. A 'simile' is a comparison of two different things, like 'I'm as cool as a cucumber'.

Anyway, just keeping the peace here. Everyone, let's not turn this into a slanging match like 70 % of the other threads in this section. Pretty please?
That is what you always say! Do you have any refernces to support your claim? I don't think the figure is higher than 30%.



:)
Reply

Muezzin
05-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Cognescenti
That is what you always say! Do you have any refernces to support your claim? I don't think the figure is higher than 30%.



:)
We could sit here all day and argue percentages, or we could discuss things respectfully :p :)
Reply

3ARABY_2005
05-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Al Jazeera Is The Best Of The Best


Jazakumullah Khair
Reply

Woodrow
05-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Cognescenti
That is what you always say! Do you have any refernces to support your claim? I don't think the figure is higher than 30%.



:)
Sometimes I think I delete at least 70% of the posts before they are even approved. But, the main thing is let us all keep this on topic.

As a reminder Al Jazeera being thrown out of a news conference is the topic.

My own feeling is that the more and more varied news agencies there are at any event the better chance the public has of getting the true story.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
hey kicking them out verbally is better than bombing their offices and killing them as US forces did in iraq!
Agreed
US warplanes bomb Al Jazeera office, kill journalist
Al-Jazeera's Tariq Ayoub, killed on 8 April by US bombing. (Al-Jazeera screenshot)
Al-Jazeera correspondent Tariq Ayoub was killed on Tuesday when two US missiles struck the Baghdad offices of the Qatar-based channel. Shortly afterwards, US warplanes returned to hit the neighbouring Abu Dhabi TV offices. Five other journalists including three from the news agency Reuters were also injured when a tank fired a round at the Palestine Hotel where at least 200 international correspondents are staying in Baghdad.">Digg this story!

Report, Al-Jazeera, 8 April 2003
source


Al-Jazeera's Tariq Ayoub, killed on 8 April by US bombing. (Al-Jazeera screenshot)
Al-Jazeera correspondent Tariq Ayoub was killed on Tuesday when two US missiles struck the Baghdad offices of the Qatar-based channel.

Five other journalists including three from the news agency Reuters were also injured when a tank fired a round at the Palestine Hotel where at least 200 international correspondents, including Al-Jazeera reporters, are staying in Baghdad.

"We regret to inform you that our cameraman and correspondent Tariq Ayoub was killed this morning during the US missile strike on our Baghdad office," the Qatar-based channel said in a statement read out during its news bulletin.

Another cameraman, Zuheir Iraqi, was slightly wounded with shrapnel to his neck. Ayoub giving his last report minutes before the US attack

They were both standing on the roof getting ready for a live broadcast amid intensifying bombardment of the city when the building was hit by two missiles, according to Tayseer Allouni, another Al Jazeera correspondent.

Cameraman Iraqi came down bleeding, but Ayoub did not show up. "I ran up as the shells were still falling and crawled on the roof and shouted for Tariq, but he did not answer," Allouni said.

Allouni had gone down because of the intense bombing. He later went up again and with the help of Abu Dhabi TV correspondent, Jaber Obeid, they found Ayoub's body.

Allouni, Jaber and others held Ayoub's body which was covered by a blanket and placed it in Abu Dhabi TV's vehicle that transported it to hospital.

Shortly afterwards, US warplanes returned to hit the neighbouring Abu Dhabi TV offices.

"It seems that we have become a target," said Allouni.

Another of Jazeera's Baghdad correspondents Majed Abdel Hadi called the U.S. missile strike and Ayoub's death a "crime".

"I will not be objective about this because we have been dragged into this conflict," he said, visibly upset. "We were targeted because the Americans don't want the world to see the crimes they are committing against the Iraqi people."

Al-Jazeera aired footage of Ayoub only one hour before his death as he was preparing to go live. He was leaning on sandbags and wearing a helmet and a flack jacket.

"I knew Tariq for 10 years ," said Yasser Abu Hilalah, Al-Jazeera correspondent in Amman. "He was very brave, professional and a hard worker," he added. "Al-Jazeera office is located in a residential area and there is no way that the attack was a mistake."

Ayoub. aged 35, was married with one daughter. He travelled to Baghdad only five days ago to join the Al-Jazeera team from the channel's Amman office where he had worked as a financial correspondent for three years. Originally from Palestine, he had also worked for the Jordan Times and the international news agency Associated Press.

Earlier, Abdel-Hadi told our presenter that Al-Jazeera office was "deliberately targeted... and it is not the first time. Our Kabul office was hit by four (US) missiles," he said. US warplanes hit the Afghanistan office of Al Jazeera in 2001, just 10 minutes after its correspondents had received warning of an impending attack.

Last week, the hotel where Al-Jazeera correspondents in the southern Iraqi city of Basra was also hit by four bombs that did not explode.

"Al-Jazeera team has no role in the war. We are only witnesses and are reporting objectively. This proves that the US is trying to cover the crime its commits in its war on Iraq. Targeting witnesses is the biggest crime," said Abdel-Hadi, visibly upset.

The European Union said after the incident it is to call on the United States to keep journalists out of the firing line, reported a Greek official.

Today's bombing left Al Jazeera's offices a ruin. But the channel said it would continue its coverage of the US-led war on Iraq that began on March 20. "It is impossible to work in the office, but we will continue to cover the war within the capabilities that we have and despite the difficult circumstances," Abdel-Hadi said.

Since Al Jazeera started covering the US-led war on Iraq its Arabic and English language websites have also been attacked by what computer experts describe as organised and systematic hacking campaign.


This report is from Al-Jazeera's English website, found at english.aljazeera.net
Reply

Cognescenti
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Agreed
US warplanes bomb Al Jazeera office, kill journalist
Al-Jazeera's Tariq Ayoub, killed on 8 April by US bombing. (Al-Jazeera screenshot)
Al-Jazeera correspondent Tariq Ayoub was killed on Tuesday when two US missiles struck the Baghdad offices of the Qatar-based channel. Shortly afterwards, US warplanes returned to hit the neighbouring Abu Dhabi TV offices. Five other journalists including three from the news agency Reuters were also injured when a tank fired a round at the Palestine Hotel where at least 200 international correspondents are staying in Baghdad.">Digg this story!
It was April 2003, right in the middle of a war. Your implication that it was an intentional attack is not-substantiated.

304 motorists were killed in the US in April within 3 days of eating fruit at the bottom yogurt. Hmmmmmmm?
Reply

جوري
05-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes that was my implication, you want to make something of it? maybe perform a lobotomy on some of us members so we'd share your version of the truth?
Reply

Keltoi
05-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I know that one Al-Jazeera journalist was killed when he made the bad decision of covering Iraqis jumping and chanting around the wreckage of a U.S. helicopter. If he would have done his homework he might have realized that the U.S. never leaves their technology laying around on the ground. So of course he was killed in the blast that destroyed the helicopter, and the morons dancing around it.
Reply

Zman
05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
:sl:/Peace To All

The ban on Al Jazeera was temporary. It has been lifted yesterday, by the Iranians. Al Jazeera has been reinstated...
Reply

جوري
05-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Keltoi
I know that one Al-Jazeera journalist was killed when he made the bad decision of covering Iraqis jumping and chanting around the wreckage of a U.S. helicopter. If he would have done his homework he might have realized that the U.S. never leaves their technology laying around on the ground. So of course he was killed in the blast that destroyed the helicopter, and the morons dancing around it.
oh, ok.. :rollseyes
Reply

Sinbad
05-30-2007, 05:08 PM
They insulted a shia leader, Iran is shia. Whats so strange?
Reply

Cognescenti
05-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Yes that was my implication, you want to make something of it? maybe perform a lobotomy on some of us members so we'd share your version of the truth?
Was there a second Al jazeera chap on the grassy knoll?

Dan Rather, who was, at the time, anchorman and had editorial responsiblity for CBS News, conspired to publish false documents about Bush's National Guard record in the middle of a Presidential election. To my knowledge, he is still alive.

As far as the brain surgery, if you feel you need that, please pursue that on your own.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Was there a second Al jazeera chap on the grassy knoll? .
maybe? -- perhaps he was too ensconced in admiration of your back side?

Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Dan Rather, who was, at the time, anchorman and had editorial responsiblity for CBS News, conspired to publish false documents about Bush's National Guard record in the middle of a Presidential election. To my knowledge, he is still alive.

As far as the brain surgery, if you feel you need that, please pursue that on your own.

I don't know what you are writing there really or why it should even matter, your testimony and sophomoric commentary mean jack to me---and I believe the more discerning of those who frequent these forums feel the same--though admittedly I almost admire the fact that every time you write you seem to subtract from the sum of human knowledge...


peace!
Reply

Cognescenti
05-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
maybe? -- perhaps he was too ensconced in admiration of your back side?
Yes, I hate when that happens. That, however, seems a rather unislamic reference.




--though admittedly I almost admire the fact that every time you write you seem to subtract from the sum of human knowledge...


peace!
Wow! Thank you. That means a lot coming from someone with such a throbbing cerebrum. However, the goal of reducing human knowledge seems too ambitious. How about this...let's work together to reduce the dogmatic regurgitations on this forum down to zero.

Peace
Reply

جوري
05-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Yes, I hate when that happens. That, however, seems a rather unislamic reference.
It wasn't intended as an Islamic reference! is that what you understood from it?



Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Wow! Thank you. That means a lot coming from someone with such a throbbing cerebrum. However, the goal of reducing human knowledge seems too ambitious. How about this...let's work together to reduce the dogmatic regurgitations on this forum down to zero.

Peace
try to contain yourself--How about you work solo on the compositional diarrhea down to zero..

and peace to you!
:)
Reply

Zman
05-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Yes, I hate when that happens. That, however, seems a rather unislamic reference.

It's amazing how you and others keep bringing up Islam, hoping to tie our hands behind our backs, that way you can assault us at will, while deluding yourselves into dreaming that we won't defend ourselves.

You speak of Islamic, yet you don't even abide by the concept of chivalry when speaking to a woman.

Did you forget that you started down this path with her?

How manly and honorable you turned out to be.

Wow! Thank you. That means a lot coming from someone with such a throbbing cerebrum.
She did put you in your place :thumbs_up
How about this...let's work together to reduce the dogmatic regurgitations on this forum down to zero.

How about this, let's work on reducing your disrepect, hate and propaganda towards us, first?
Reply

barney
05-30-2007, 07:12 PM
British Journalist was killed by more wayward US fire back in 03.

once again the only difference in this lot, is stray US fire accidently kills Journalists and Stray Muhjadeen swords accidently behead Journalists whilst tied up.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Good ole Barney, what would we do without your input? guess your boys just always get caught like a monkey in the middle ...


you've been officially hugged by dubya


peace!
Reply

Muezzin
05-30-2007, 07:18 PM
All this stuff is off-topic and I'll have to start chopping posts out of the thread, and you guys will get aggravated, so maybe for all our sakes, the spam should stop?
Reply

barney
05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Good ole Barney, what would we do without your input? guess your boys just always get caught like a monkey in the middle ...


you've been officially hugged by dubya


peace!
I Hate GWB, He's a pillock.

I dunno, one day i'll get a vauguely relevant response from you to one of my posts, then we'll have a debate i suppose..:D
Reply

Cognescenti
05-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zman

It's amazing how you and others keep bringing up Islam, hoping to tie our hands behind our backs, that way you can assault us at will, while deluding yourselves into dreaming that we won't defend ourselves.

You speak of Islamic, yet you don't even abide by the concept of chivalry when speaking to a woman.

Did you forget that you started down this path with her?


Chivalry? :) I hardly think she is in need of chivalrous protection. She seems to be willing to dish out the insults when the adult discussion part is lost. Quaint thought, though. Thanks for that.

How about this, let's work on reducing your disrepect, hate and propaganda towards us, first?
Can you cite one example of group disrepect (other than a couple of jokes about the suits given the Brit hostages in the Iranian/RN story), or any examples of hate or propaganda displayed by me in this forum?

The problem may be you don't like a dissenting voice.
Reply

Zman
05-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Chivalry? :) I hardly think she is in need of chivalrous protection. She seems to be willing to dish out the insults when the adult discussion part is lost. Quaint thought, though. Thanks for that.



Can you cite one example of group disrepect (other than a couple of jokes about the suits given the Brit hostages in the Iranian/RN story), or any examples of hate or propaganda displayed by me in this forum?

The problem may be you don't like a dissenting voice.

That's going off topic.

The point is, don't disrespect her!

Enough of this side bar...
Reply

جوري
05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by barney
I Hate GWB, He's a pillock.

I dunno, one day i'll get a vauguely relevant response from you to one of my posts, then we'll have a debate i suppose..:D
I don't take you seriously enough or think of you as a worthy contender. I don't think you capable of more than a gibe anyhow and an incessant need to be stroked for you oh so witty remarks!
Reply

Muezzin
05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Last warning before a mass deleting spree, people.
Reply

north_malaysian
05-31-2007, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
But then that is the English sight. I understand the Arabic side is a lot different.
Yes.... it's so different. Which al Jazeera was thrown out? The English ones, or the Arabic?
Reply

thirdwatch512
05-31-2007, 04:46 AM
iran's president is crazy. it's as simple as that!

really sad too. iran is such a great country. probably one of the better islamic countries from a non islamic view (except for its homophobia.)
Reply

north_malaysian
05-31-2007, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
iran's president is crazy. it's as simple as that!

really sad too. iran is such a great country. probably one of the better islamic countries from a non islamic view (except for its homophobia.)
are you serious? I'm surprised!!!:omg:
Reply

thirdwatch512
05-31-2007, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
are you serious? I'm surprised!!!:omg:
lol.

my favorite islamic countries are as follows..

1. Malaysia - just LOVE Malaysia. no drama in malaysia!

2. Turkey - Modern, liberal

3. UAE - Such a Beautiful country. well, mainly Dubai but still.

4. Bosnia and Albania - idk if they can even be considered muslim anymore lol!!

5. Lebanon - just a great country.

6. Iran - nice people

7. Jordan

8. Egypt

Least Favorite

1. Saudi Arabia - I hate that country with a passion (no offnse saudi's!)

2. Palestine - just get over you madness with Israel!!

3. Iraq - too many fights, obviously

4. Syria - according to the Bible, this is where the antichrist is going to come from!!
Reply

north_malaysian
05-31-2007, 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
lol.

my favorite islamic countries are as follows..

1. Malaysia - just LOVE Malaysia. no drama in malaysia!
no drama?:?

are you referring to Malaysian drama series?:exhausted (even Malaysians dont watch Malaysian drama series)
Reply

thirdwatch512
05-31-2007, 05:42 AM
lol nooo, i'm just saying like there's no huge instability there. no extremism. no radicalism. it's just.. a nice, relaxing place that blends islamic culture with east asian culture, as well as many other cultures. and it seems to realize that you can be muslim and not have to act all arab!!
Reply

north_malaysian
05-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
lol nooo, i'm just saying like there's no huge instability there. no extremism. no radicalism. it's just.. a nice, relaxing place that blends islamic culture with east asian culture, as well as many other cultures. and it seems to realize that you can be muslim and not have to act all arab!!
Even the Islamists in Malaysia (the members of PAS) are very moderate in their approaches .... especially to the remaining 40% Malaysian non Muslims.

I think only 0.01% of the Malaysian Muslims are extremists...

The last terrorism acts we have were during Communist insurgency time (which ended like 2 decades ago).

Imagine being surrounded by Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines.... thanks to God for defending us from any crazy people bombing innocents in Malaysia.
Reply

guyabano
05-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Even the Islamists in Malaysia (the members of PAS) are very moderate in their approaches .... especially to the remaining 40% Malaysian non Muslims.

I think only 0.01% of the Malaysian Muslims are extremists...

The last terrorism acts we have were during Communist insurgency time (which ended like 2 decades ago).

Imagine being surrounded by Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines.... thanks to God for defending us from any crazy people bombing innocents in Malaysia.
Yes, specially, because Malaysia is a beautiful place to visit ! They do a lot of efforts to keep terrorism low.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 02:27 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 02:09 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!