/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver is 'best place to live'

islamirama
05-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Vancouver is 'best place to live'

Vancouver is the world's best place to live, a survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has found.

The EIU ranked 127 cities in terms of personal risk, infrastructure and the availability of goods and services.

All the cities that fell into the top "liveability" bracket were based in Canada, Australia and Western Europe.

The worst places were Algiers in Algeria, and Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea because "many aspects of daily life present challenges", the EIU said.

Safe havens?

Canadian cities scored well, as did Austria's Vienna and Switzerland's Geneva, because they are not seen as targets for terror attacks.

TOP TEN
Vancouver
Melbourne
Vienna
Geneva
Perth
Adelaide
Sydney
Zurich
Toronto
Calgary

Bottom 10 cities
Tehran
Douala
Harare
Abidjan
Phnom Penh
Lagos
Karachi
Dhaka
Algiers
Port Moresby

Source: EIU

The main uncertainty for people living in those cities was climate-related, the EIU said.

"In the current global political climate, it is no surprise that the most desirable destinations are those with the lower perceived threat of terrorism," said Jon Copestake, editor of the EIU report.

The survey has produced a mixed picture of the world's cities. London was ranked in the 10th group, on a par with Dublin and Los Angeles, but one place below Manchester, four behind Berlin, five lower than Tokyo, and six off Helsinki, Frankfurt and Stockholm.
In Latin America, "no city manages to present ideal living conditions, neither do any fall into the category where extreme difficulties are faced", the EIU said.

Montevideo in Uruguay, Santiago in Chile and Buenos Aires in Argentina offer the region's best conditions. Bogota in Colombia and Caracas in Venezuela score the least favourably.

In Asia, cities in Japan, South Korea, Singapore, China and Taiwan all score well, as do Australia's main hubs.

Africa and the Middle East fare less well, with the EIU citing concerns about terror attacks, and economic and political instability.
Some of the worst performing cities include Harare in Zimbabwe and Lagos in Nigeria.

Story from BBC NEWS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...ss/4306936.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
05-29-2007, 04:13 AM
i live in vancouver lol

islamirama
05-29-2007, 04:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
i live in vancouver lol

it's all according to kuffar's criteria, that's why all the cities are in the west. Cities from uae, saudi, japan, hong kong, etc can easiy beat them in everything. Guess these are top 10 if you are white westerner, where else would you feel safe?

check this out...

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ghanistan.html

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 04:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
it's all according to kuffar's criteria, that's why all the cities are in the west. Cities from uae, saudi, japan, hong kong, etc can easiy beat them in everything. Guess these are top 10 if you are white westerner, where else would you feel safe?

check this out...

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ghanistan.html
Isn't it odd that Easterners can come to the West and be safe but the reverse isn't true. :skeleton:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Isn't it odd that Easterners can come to the West and be safe but the reverse isn't true. :skeleton:
ask the Easterners how safe they feel here where you an be taken away on mere suspicions for being a "terrorists"

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 08:55 PM
ask the Easterners how safe they feel here where you an be taken away on mere suspicions for being a "terrorists"
My contact is limited. I only know about half a dozen. None feel threatened. :thumbs_up

Muezzin
05-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah, shall we stay to the topic before things turn ugly? My Spider-Sense is tingling.

On the other hand, I just ate.

islamirama
05-29-2007, 09:04 PM
My contact is limited. I only know about half a dozen. None feel threatened. :thumbs_up
and how is your contacts with these christians in east that are "tortured" and "oppressed" or feel threatened?

Muezzin
05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Guys, is this thread about Easterners or Westerners feeling unthreatened, or is it about Vancouver being the 'best place to live'?

islamirama
05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Guys, is this thread about Easterners or Westerners feeling unthreatened, or is it about Vancouver being the 'best place to live'?
it's about which city is best to live in, the guy here claims Christians are oppressed and threatened in the East. He forgets the christians and muslims there are same race and natives. They christains there feel safer there than they do in the west, in fact muslims aren't the only ones in the east who hate the west.

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 09:18 PM
and how is your contacts with these christians in east that are "tortured" and "oppressed" or feel threatened?
When did I say they were Christians? :skeleton: None of them are. :?
You seam to be big on assumptions? :-[

If it is so horrible for them, why do they keep coming? :thumbs_up

islamirama
05-29-2007, 10:15 PM
If it is so horrible for them, why do they keep coming? :thumbs_up
If I bomb your town often, have your mayor in my pocket and make a living hell out of your life. Would stay in your town or come to mine?

wilberhum
05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
If I bomb your town often, have your mayor in my pocket and make a living hell out of your life. Would stay in your town or come to mine?
Well I wouldn't go to the place that is responsible for the bombing. :skeleton:

I must assume that it is better in the West than in the East.

Boy, I would have never guessed. :-[

Strzelecki
05-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Vancouver took our [Melbourne's] number one spot??? :( *cries*

Congrats Vancouvie! :D

EDIT:Just noticed they're mainly Canadian and Australian cities...

islamirama
05-30-2007, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536

you know there are aussie forums also, one in melbourne and one in sydeny :)

wilberhum
05-30-2007, 01:15 AM

As far as I'm concerned Melbourne is second only to Brisbain.
Aussies are great. :thumbs_up

جوري
05-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Dubai

New York Times

Updated:2007-05-25 17:44:23
New Buildings to Dance in the Wind
By Bill Christensen
LiveScience.com

(May 25) - A series of rotating buildings based on Dynamic Architecture will be built around the world, starting in Dubai, U.A.E. The Dynamic Architecture concept was introduced by Florentine architect David Fisher.

The rotating buildings get their electrical power from wind turbines that are placed between floors and which rotate freely with the wind. Additional power is provided from solar cells on the tops of the individual floors.

Each individual floor is able to rotate slowly, based on commands issued by the owners of condos or apartments on that floor. I assume that the building owners can also take control, for coordinated movements of the floors. Note that the rotation of the floors is slow and uses power - the rotation of the floors does not produce power.

Watch the Buildings Boogie

The building is constructed around a central core; each floor is composed of individual pie-like sections that are pre-built and hoisted up the central core. The builder claims that rotating buildings can be constructed by just ninety people on the construction site; compare this to the typical skyscraper construction site, which may have up to 2,000 workers at a time.

Construction dates for the first building have not yet been announced, but the first one will be built in Dubai. Pre-fabricated units for the tower will be produced in a facility set up in Jebel Ali, a port southwest of Dubai. The same units will then be shipped to eleven other major cities, including Moscow, Milan, New York and Tokyo, where similar towers will rise.

Science fiction writers have also made some use of the idea of rotating buildings. In his eccentric 1972 novel The Godmakers, Frank Herbert writes about a rotating house: "Lewis was just telling me how our place is very much like his home on Chargon," Polly said.

"Old-fashioned, but we like it that way," Bullone said. "I don't like the modern trend in architecture. Too mechanical. Give me an old-fashioned tetragon on a central pivot every time."

(c) 1999-2007 Imaginova Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

More photos of Dubai's dancing towers

ABWAN
05-30-2007, 07:29 AM
Vancouver, CA is quite a beautiful place. The only turn off was a certain part of downtown which was filled with beggars. Going there even in a car at night time was way too scary. Vancouver is quite diverse and has a good muslim and even more sikh population. There were quite a lot of muslim restaurants too! Perhaps br. Yanal could elaborate.

HBot 5000
05-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Vancouver is 'best place to live'

Vancouver is the world's best place to live, a survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has found.

The EIU ranked 127 cities in terms of personal risk, infrastructure and the availability of goods and services.

All the cities that fell into the top "liveability" bracket were based in Canada, Australia and Western Europe.

The worst places were Algiers in Algeria, and Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea because "many aspects of daily life present challenges", the EIU said.

Safe havens?

Canadian cities scored well, as did Austria's Vienna and Switzerland's Geneva, because they are not seen as targets for terror attacks.

TOP TEN
Vancouver
Melbourne
Vienna
Geneva
Perth
Adelaide
Sydney
Zurich
Toronto
Calgary

Bottom 10 cities
Tehran
Douala
Harare
Abidjan
Phnom Penh
Lagos
Karachi
Dhaka
Algiers
Port Moresby

Source: EIU

The main uncertainty for people living in those cities was climate-related, the EIU said.

"In the current global political climate, it is no surprise that the most desirable destinations are those with the lower perceived threat of terrorism," said Jon Copestake, editor of the EIU report.

The survey has produced a mixed picture of the world's cities. London was ranked in the 10th group, on a par with Dublin and Los Angeles, but one place below Manchester, four behind Berlin, five lower than Tokyo, and six off Helsinki, Frankfurt and Stockholm.
In Latin America, "no city manages to present ideal living conditions, neither do any fall into the category where extreme difficulties are faced", the EIU said.

Montevideo in Uruguay, Santiago in Chile and Buenos Aires in Argentina offer the region's best conditions. Bogota in Colombia and Caracas in Venezuela score the least favourably.

In Asia, cities in Japan, South Korea, Singapore, China and Taiwan all score well, as do Australia's main hubs.

Africa and the Middle East fare less well, with the EIU citing concerns about terror attacks, and economic and political instability.
Some of the worst performing cities include Harare in Zimbabwe and Lagos in Nigeria.

Story from BBC NEWS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...ss/4306936.stm

:sl:

London, UK - best city, best country :threadclo

:w:

muzna
05-30-2007, 10:51 AM
oooo....karachi is bottom 10..yikes..
wonder where colombo is with the recent bomb attacks, etc

rania2820
05-30-2007, 11:00 AM
this is not true.im from the west and i feel much safer here in qatar, than i have ever felt back home. at least here in qatar i can leave my house unlocked at night.and i can leave my car unlocked without fearing someone taking. and the homicide rate is much lower in gulf countries than the US and UK.

this list is wrong.

islamirama
05-30-2007, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000
:sl:

London, UK - best city, best country

:w:
Best city/country? what are you smoking? you calling that place the best, one the one that wages war on Muslims and one that harasses you and wants to ban niqaab and oppress Muslims? what are you smoking?

UAE best country, medina/makka best city!:thumbs_up

iwuvaziaf
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Sydney, Melbourne! here i come!!!! aussie land is great..!

but top top is London..

format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000
London, UK - best city, best country
am with u.. high-five!

you calling that place the best, one the one that wages war on Muslims and one that harasses you and wants to ban niqaab and oppress Muslims? what are you smoking?
waging war on Muslims.. i believe US has a bigger hand in that!

yeah well they will try, but without success.. how far did the ban get? it was a stupid attempt by Jack Straw.. he will get wot he deserves! I think again, it was a test of people's imaan..

big up to all the niqabi.. keep yer head up (lower the gaze ofcourse! :))

UAE best country, medina/makka best city!
I would agree with u there but I dunno of the lifestyle there and not sure if i'd be able to survive thru the heat.. i mean, that was main reason for escaping!

Strzelecki
05-30-2007, 02:13 PM
you know there are aussie forums also, one in melbourne and one in sydeny :)
And I'm a member on both. :D Hahahaa.

Strzelecki
05-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Does anyone else think these buildings [Posted by PurestAmbrosia] look like bottles of water or ice sculptures?

I mean that in a "Whoa! They look AWESOME!" way. :)

Dani.

islamirama
05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
And I'm a member on both. :D Hahahaa.
somebody sure got lot of free time on their hands.... :D

format_quote Originally Posted by iwuvaziaf

waging war on Muslims.. i believe US has a bigger hand in that!
And that makes UK ok? that makes london best and #1? UK and US waged the illegal wars hand in hand. Both are war criminals, and any muslim who kisses their behind and roots for them, they can go read up on what Islam says on loving the enemies of Islam and Allah. Read what Islam says on supporting those that do what they did to your muslim bro/sis.

islamirama
05-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Most peaceful nations

A study has ranked Norway as the most peaceful country and Iraq as the least in a survey of 121 countries.

TOP FIVE COUNTRIES
1 Norway
2 New Zealand
3 Denmark
4 Ireland
5 Japan

BOTTOM FIVE COUNTRIES
117 Nigeria
118 Russia
119 Israel
120 Sudan
121 Iraq

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/6704767.stm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.