/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learning the holy quran is a struggle!!

AnonymousPoster
05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
salam man i am soo upset:cry: i feel like a loser when i tried to learn the quran it went bad so bad that i dont attend islamic classes at mosques, i was in this little class and everyone my age (i am 19) well people that were younger were soo good they knew many surah and there was me.
the older one who didnt know a thing the teacher was strict he didnt speak english (i only speak english i dont speak my native language) i felt people looked down on me , left never went back.

i am trying to learn it on my own but i cant pronunce a thing, because i only speak english the pronunciation(soz for the spelling) is bad really bad, when someone else recites a surah and when i do it lets just say it dont even sound the same language.

i lost any hope plus my memory is crap i dont even know the arabic alphabet and the letters that`s how crap i am
i know is bad but should i just improve my prayer and give up learning the quran in arabic?
maybe just stick to english?
thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
05-29-2007, 11:25 PM
" And when My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I respond to the dua (prayer) of every suppliant when they calleth on Me " [ Quran 2:186] #

THE QU’RAN

A Book that is full of answers,
A Book that makes you cry.
A Book that makes you notice,
How much harder you can try.
A Book that makes you realize,
What true love really is...
A Book that gives you direction,
for all of life’s tough biz.
A Book that gives you hope,
that Someone somewhere’s watching over you.
A Book that helps you out,
Through all the times your blue.
A Book that was revealed to our beloved Prophet(SAWS),
over a period of 23 years
Once you put faith into this Book,
You can handle worldly fears.
A gift sent down from Heaven,
A treasure from above,
Written proof that shows us
How blessed we are with Allah(SWT’s) love!

vpb
05-29-2007, 11:31 PM
salam man i am soo upset

i feel like a loser when i tried to learn the quran it went bad so bad that i dont attend islamic classes at mosques, i was in this little class and everyone my age (i am 19) well people that were younger were soo good they knew many surah and there was me.
the older one who didnt know a thing the teacher was strict he didnt speak english (i only speak english i dont speak my native language) i felt people looked down on me , left never went back.

i am trying to learn it on my own but i cant pronunce a thing, because i only speak english the pronunciation(soz for the spelling) is bad really bad, when someone else recites a surah and when i do it lets just say it dont even sound the same language.
why does Shaitan have to win everytime? this is where Shaitan tries to make you think that "look there are younger people, they recite better, understand better, and you don't" , why?? My mother goes in an english course with teenagers, and she learns english ;D . It's normal for kids to memorize faster than you, cuz usually kids do memorize faster.

i lost any hope plus my memory is crap i dont even know the arabic alphabet and the letters that`s how crap i am
i know is bad but should i just improve my prayer and give up learning the quran in arabic?
thanks in advance
NO!!, don't give up. My friend when he started to memorize Qur'an, it used to take him long time to memorize something, but now he needs 15 minutes to memorize a page (soon becoming hafidh inshaallah), memory is like the muscle, the more you train it, the more it is capable. Don't give up on Qur'an, even if it takes an ayat to memorize for a week, it's enough, after some days your memory will increase and you will learn 2, 3,4....so on. bi idhnillah. Don't give up !!. It is only shaitan trying to prevent you from learning Qur'an.
Also if you memorize and study Qur'an, your recitation will be better, which means your prayer will be better. so you get both advantages now. Also you are being tested on your patience. You get rewards for being patient.

ummzayd
05-30-2007, 08:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
thanks in advance
:sl: definitely concentrate on improving your prayer but don't give up on learning qur'an in arabic. are you learning from a website? there's loads of good sites for learning qur'an alhamdulillah.

I didn't know any qur'an except 'alhamdu' & 2 other short surahs, until I started teaching my son (I mean started to get him to memorise). we had my hub to help us out with pronunciation if we didn't hear it properly on the website (but there are sites with transliteration as well).

My son hates memorising so we only do one ayah a day! and add the next ayah the next day until the surah is complete, and in this way it builds up fairly quickly. we're still on the short surahs though.

remember that your reward is greater if the struggle is greater.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
05-31-2007, 01:59 PM
:sl: a big jazakallahkhair! when i wrote that I felt really down i felt dumb,
ummzayd mashaalllah is so cute that you and your family all learn together I will definetly remember that the reward is greater:)
vpb thank you bro! everything that you said made sense! Maliha that was beautiful!
w/salam

vpb
05-31-2007, 02:05 PM
I would recommend to avoid transliteration of Qur'an , bc

for example the word Kul (pronounced with strong K) means Say, but Kul (pronounced with soft K) means eat, so being used on transliteration, big mistakes can be made, for example
instead of saying Kulhuwalllahu ahad (with strong K) wich means "Say Allah is One", you can make a mistake since you read from transliteration and say "Kulhuwallahu ahad" (with soft K) which means "Eat: Allah is one" astagfirullah. and also there are a lot of words, that if pronounced without tashdid , they loose their meaning or change. so I would advise if you don't know arabic, either go to local masjid or find a sister or brother whatever you gender is, and tell them to teach you reading arabic. It takes only a week if you work hard inshaAllah.

may Allah ease it for you. ameen.

Kittygyal
05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Salamualikum.
I am very sowiee brother that your going through this moment. Brother look at me i am a revert to Islam and subhnallah i have difficulties prouncing the letters aswel, but i NEVER will gave up. Remember i have a lisp on top of that and my ONE lingo is ENGLISH so i have alot of difficulties. Best thing a do brother is go back to mosque inshallah or get a Sheik or something.

Remember you walk towards allah subhnatwallah he will RUN towards you Subhnallah!

Take it easy DO NOT NEVER give up!!! please.

Ma'assalama

edil
05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Salams! You know that everything need time and effort without those two then you would not be able to succeed in what you want to do. Many times young generation that grew up in american is really hard for them to pronounce the quran and i dont blame you because many of us are going through the same thing too but giving up walahi isnt the answer.I have couple of suggestions for you 1.if you want to memorize then you would have to stop the things which allah would be displeased with such as listening to music, watching movies, not lowering your gaze and many other things. 2. Have patient 3. listen to the recitation of the quran over and over again. 4.have a personal teacher who helps you and if you cant find one go back to the place you were talking about and try to avoid the differences because your the one who wants to gain knowledge and learn the quran. last but no least make DUA to Allah. Hope for the best and dont give up. Salams.

Nabooly
06-02-2007, 03:49 AM
Id reccomend getting CDs with Quranic recitations on them (you can even get MP3s from varios websites). This will help alot with memorization and prounciation. Also, the younger people DO memorize faster. Thats why Muslim parents are to begin introducing their kids to the Quran asap. Its just a part of life.

snakelegs
06-02-2007, 04:42 AM
this might be useful. there is both text and audio and it is free! i just discovered this site yesterday and it looks like a very valuable resource.

http://wwww.understandquran.com/u/Default.asp

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.