/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Clash of Civilisations - Youtube video

glo
05-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I came across this Youtube video, and with the mods permission I would like to post it here.
Not everybody may agree with the way it is presented, but I strongly feel that the message it conveys is important for us all to consider.

The official disclaimer (thank you, Woodrow) goes as follows:
"This video does contain some brief graphic images, however they are a vital part of the message given in the video. Before viewing, please be aware that some of the images although brief may not be suitable for young children or may be misunderstood but some non-English speaking Muslims"

I hope I have not caused any offence to any of you.
Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-31-2007, 09:02 PM
After viewing this video, I was faced with a quandry. I find it to be a very timely and worth while video with a much needed message for both Muslims and Non-Muslims.

The qundry is there are a few very brief image post of people dressed in Non-Islamic swim wear. I do not like the images, but they are presented in a non seductive manner and are shown for a very short period of time. Over all i believe they are an important part of the video and I honestly believe the video is worth watching.

However, I feel I need to post this to avoid any one from possibly being offended.

glo
05-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Thank you for your comments, Woodrow.

NobleMuslimUK
05-31-2007, 11:47 PM
Its stating the obvious, an obvious fact many choose to ignore. Ignorance is bliss. Corruption is spreading like a plague, not a government in the world exists that isnt corrupt and greed driven. There are too many people out there dedicated their lives to stopping people from achieving peace and harmony, and we're letting those people succeed.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
guyabano
06-01-2007, 09:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I came across this Youtube video, and with the mods permission I would like to post it here.
Not everybody may agree with the way it is presented, but I strongly feel that the message it conveys is important for us all to consider.

The official disclaimer (thank you, Woodrow) goes as follows:
"This video does contain some brief graphic images, however they are a vital part of the message given in the video. Before viewing, please be aware that some of the images although brief may not be suitable for young children or may be misunderstood but some non-English speaking Muslims"

I hope I have not caused any offence to any of you.
Peace
Great Video ! I hope that all the war-lovers of this forum will finally shutup !

KAding
06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Its stating the obvious, an obvious fact many choose to ignore. Ignorance is bliss. Corruption is spreading like a plague, not a government in the world exists that isnt corrupt and greed driven. There are too many people out there dedicated their lives to stopping people from achieving peace and harmony, and we're letting those people succeed.
Sorry, but that is just too cynical in my opinion. I am convinced most people have good intentions, including most world leaders. I think it is a myth that we would have peace if only leaders would listen to 'the people'. 'The people' can be plenty warmongering themselves.

KAding
06-01-2007, 12:04 PM
A good video Glo. Thank you for posting it.

I fear it might be a bit naive though. This is not a criticism, but there are some fundamental differences in world view and opinion that are causing this 'clash of civilizations'. It is not just a matter of stereotypes. In other words, I fear the stereotypes are a consequence of the different world views, not the other way around. But fighting these stereotypes might be a good start nevertheless, in an attempt to at least achieve peaceful coexistence! :thumbs_up

Fishman
06-01-2007, 12:05 PM
:sl:
Civilisations don't clash, they grind. They aren't just solid plates that keep plowing into one another, they are made of hundreds of different pieces that constantly grate with eachother. For example, within 'The West' there are the Western European, eastern European, Anglo-American/Australian and Scandinavian civilisations. Only where two or more Great Blocks of Civilisations grind together do we get violent conflicts, for example the Levant (Jewish, Shiite and Sunni) and Southeast Europe (Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Near East).
:w:

glo
06-01-2007, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding

I fear it might be a bit naive though. This is not a criticism, but there are some fundamental differences in world view and opinion that are causing this 'clash of civilizations'. It is not just a matter of stereotypes. In other words, I fear the stereotypes are a consequence of the different world views, not the other way around. But fighting these stereotypes might be a good start nevertheless, in an attempt to at least achieve peaceful coexistence! :thumbs_up
Greetings, KAding

You know, sometimes I think a certain amount of naïvety is all that protects me from becoming cynical and disillusioned ... :D

I understand the points you are making.

To be honest I found the title of the video a little puzzling and not exactly to the point.

The main message I got through the video was that behind our cultural and religious differences, we have much in common: we share the same emotions; we share the same human suffering; our emotions can be (and are) exploited by those who have power over us.
And we have the ability, the power and the responsibility to change this world within the possibilities given to us. Whether that means reaching out to our neighbours, changing our negative mindset against other groups of people, becoming politically active, or whatever ...
Recognising our shared humanity, rather than always focussing on our differences may be the first step - and that's what the video (in my opinion) is trying to do.

Call me naive (perhaps you already did :giggling:) - but we have more power than we sometimes think! A small gesture or act can go a long way.

Peace

KAding
06-01-2007, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greetings, KAding

You know, sometimes I think a certain amount of naïvety is all that protects me from becoming cynical and disillusioned ... :D

I understand the points you are making.

To be honest I found the title of the video a little puzzling and not exactly to the point.

The main message I got through the video was that behind our cultural and religious differences, we have much in common: we share the same emotions; we share the same human suffering; our emotions can be (and are) exploited by those who have power over us.
And we have the ability, the power and the responsibility to change this world within the possibilities given to us. Whether that means reaching out to our neighbours, changing our negative mindset against other groups of people, becoming politically active, or whatever ...
Recognising our shared humanity, rather than always focussing on our differences may be the first step - and that's what the video (in my opinion) is trying to do.

Call me naive (perhaps you already did :giggling:) - but we have more power than we sometimes think! A small gesture or act can go a long way.

Peace
I did call you naive indeed ;). But trust me, it was a compliment! I am naive myself, in a different way I suppose. Like I said in my reply to NobleMuslimUK, I generally assume people are good. Heck, I don't even think OBL is evil, let alone Bush. They just have different opinions on what doing good means, I am sure both think they are 'doing the right thing'. Hows that for naive :D :?.

In my opinion, the best approach would be to accept that Muslims and Westerners will not always agree. We have to start respecting each other more, tolerate each others beliefs. In that way I suppose the video is mistaken, it acts as if there are no differences. Rather I think we should accept the differences and tolerate them as much as possible. After all, both sides try to do the right thing, we just disagree on what that means and how to get there. In the end I agree with you though, toleration starts with the individual, it is hardly something that can be enforced top-down.

snakelegs
06-01-2007, 06:30 PM
maybe some day we will realize that we are all being used by politicians and religious leaders and see that we have more common interests with each other than we do with those who would have power over us and exploit our differences for their own gain.

wilberhum
06-01-2007, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
maybe some day we will realize that we are all being used by politicians and religious leaders and see that we have more common interests with each other than we do with those who would have power over us and exploit our differences for their own gain.
People have been killing people since there were two tribes. Politicians and religious leaders do use people to carry out there agenda. But that is not all of it. There are some really nasty people out there. They don't need any incuragement to kill someone simply because they are in some way different.

Pygoscelis
06-01-2007, 07:17 PM
That video was well put together though a bit fast past (hard to read the text). I'm going to spread it around a bit more. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

glo
06-01-2007, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
That video was well put together though a bit fast past (hard to read the text). I'm going to spread it around a bit more. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
I came across the video when it was posted by a Muslim in a Christian forum.
It seemed only right to share it here in LI too. :)

aamirsaab
06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
:sl:
Excellent video and excellent find.

Shame about the comments on the youtube page (but then again, who cares what an ingorant brat thinks about Islam or any other religion?). Kudos to Glo for bringing us that link.

Coexistence is possible.

Muezzin
06-02-2007, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding

I agree that there are fundamental differences, but I also agree with your later post that tolerance is the key.

Heck, if nobody ever learned to tolerate fundamental differences, I dread to think how many marriages would end based on husband-wife arguments about the preferred toilet seat position. :p

Cognescenti
06-02-2007, 11:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Great Video ! I hope that all the war-lovers of this forum will finally shutup !
Will all the war lovers please find the exit. Please have your parking tickets validated. Have a nice day.

The management :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.