PDA

View Full Version : Would you be offended?



England
06-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Well basically I caught a taxi home and I saw that the taxi driver was Asian so me being crafty asked him if he was Sikh/Hindu, wanting to know if he was muslim or not :) Perhaps it's the drink I dunno but I don't think the question was bad...?
Well basically I think he took offence, told me he was muslim and started asking if I had coloured friends :rollseyes I mean, what's it to him? :D

Would you be offended if someone had asked what religion you follow? Anything wrong with it? :X

If this doesn't make sense I'll correct it tomorrow :)
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Panther
06-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Perhaps he perceived your question as an attempt to judge him.
Reply

'Abd al-Baari
06-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi

That could be true^ but in answer to your question England no i wouldn't be offended..i'd just tell the person i was a muslim..on the other hand if their made negative comments regarding my religion/race then i would be offended

From your post it dosen't seem that you did this..so don't worry bout it :)

Allah knows best
Reply

Woodrow
06-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by England
Well basically I caught a taxi home and I saw that the taxi driver was Asian so me being crafty asked him if he was Sikh/Hindu, wanting to know if he was muslim or not :) Perhaps it's the drink I dunno but I don't think the question was bad...?
Well basically I think he took offence, told me he was muslim and started asking if I had coloured friends :rollseyes I mean, what's it to him? :D

Would you be offended if someone had asked what religion you follow? Anything wrong with it? :X

If this doesn't make sense I'll correct it tomorrow :)
I would say he probably had a bad day.

Another possibility is he may be fairly new in the Country and not that fluent in English and percieved your question as interregation, rather than curiosity.

On a personal note I would not have been offended and would have used that as an opportunity for you to ask me about Islam. I would have have answered something like "Yes, I am. Do you know much about us?"
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
snakelegs
06-02-2007, 12:47 AM
we are so polarized because of what is happening in the world, i think some people take offense at things that wouldn't ordinarily be offensive.
sad world. :cry:
Reply

NoName55
06-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
I would say he probably had a bad day.

Another possibility is he may be fairly new in the Country and not that fluent in English and percieved your question as interregation, rather than curiosity.
:sl:

Or may be the questioner had mischief making in mind and asked the question in a loaded manner to illicit the response that he got (he does same kind of things here on this very forum)

A genuine enquirer might have put it differently for example: May I ask what your religion is?

or even "wuts ur religin then me old mucker" or however one says it skinhead lingo

:w:
Reply

Trumble
06-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by England
Would you be offended if someone had asked what religion you follow? Anything wrong with it?
No, but I wouldn't expect someone to in that sort of context. I can see why the cab driver would have been wary, and he is likely to have perceived your query as having more to do with prejudice than curiosity - wrongly, obviously.
Reply

NoName55
06-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
I would have have answered something like "Yes, I am. Do you know much about us?"
How could he have said "yes I am" when this person's question was are you a sikh or hindu?

on top of that hinus dont wear beards in uk and mulims dont wear sikhlike turbans there, its ether kufi or bare-headed
Reply

noodles
06-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Seriosly, the very fact that you asked if he was Sikh meant that you made a wrong assumption. If he was to wear a turban then I'd assume he was Sikh, but without any strong evidence I wouldn't ask if he was a Sikh.

As for me, I'd be irritated if someone was to come to me, and ask me if I was Hindu. Firstly, I'd be wondering, how exactly does one assume one is of anything without any evidence. And secondly, if I was to ask, I'd put it so it seems I'm not making any assumptions.

Its not always easy to know what the intentions of the other person are. :)
Reply

Keltoi
06-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Well, there is a stereotype out there that most cab drivers are either Sikh, Hindu, or Muslim. It would probably make somebody a little defensive, especially if he has been hassled or offended in some way before by these sorts of questions.
Reply

Woodrow
06-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by NoName55
How could he have said "yes I am" when this person's question was are you a sikh or hindu?

on top of that hinus dont wear beards in uk and mulims dont wear sikhlike turbans there, its ether kufi or bare-headed
OOOps, Poor grammar and incomplete on my part. I should have written:

"No, I am Muslim. Do you know much about us."

The pleasure of trying to post and watch grandkids at the same time.
Reply

NoName55
06-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
OOOps, Poor grammar and incomplete on my part. I should have written:

"No, I am Muslim. Do you know much about us."

The pleasure of trying to post and watch grandkids at the same time.
:)

JazakAllah khairan Brother, don't mind me for today I'm not quite "with it"

:w:
Reply

جوري
06-02-2007, 01:13 AM
It is divided up as such:
12% it is what you say
34% the tone of Voice
54% your body language
Here is how everyone subconsciously assesses the situation. That is why there is a great deal of discord and hatred on the Internet, because you just read words and you are missing the other human factors that come to play. If you honestly felt the other two big players of the formula were non-deserving of a gore like reaction, then perhaps the trouble is with the driver? Maybe he was having a bad day and misconstrued your intent in his own mind!

peace!
Reply

Woodrow
06-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
It is divided up as such:
12% it is what you say
34% the tone of Voice
54% your body language
Here is how everyone subconsciously assesses the situation. That is why there is a great deal of discord and hatred on the Internet, because you just read words and you are missing the other human factors that come to play. If you honestly felt the other two big players of the formula were non-deserving of a gore like reaction, then perhaps the trouble is with the driver? Maybe he was having a bad day and misconstrued your intent in his own mind!

peace!
Very true. Although different researchers will differ with your exact percentages there are will within the average range of what most would say. Back when I taught a class on the "Theories of Communication" I would have placed the figures as 8%, 34%, 58%

We never know how a person hears us until we get feed back from the person.
Reply

جوري
06-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Very true. Although different researchers will differ with your exact percentages there are will within the average range of what most would say. Back when I taught a class on the "Theories of Communication" I would have placed the figures as 8%, 34%, 58%

We never know how a person hears us until we get feed back from the person.
lol akhi my percentages aren't exact... my mind isn't as sharp as when I first learned of this which was some ten yrs ago.. so yours I am quite sure are most accurate. I always in fact try to work on my facial expressions to be utterly neutral no matter what I hear, especially in my career path. A person can't survive being abrasive and volatile, even though some people just really beg for a good whack-- It is best to control self if one can't control the situation... of course on the forum I am free to be as abrasive as I want :raging: :raging: lol kiddddddding-- no I am not :X
Reply

noodles
06-02-2007, 01:32 AM
You know, there is also another problem.

I don't know about you, but every race has certain knowledge about their type of people (no I'm not trying to be racist).

For example, me being brown, I can differentiate very easily between who is from where (ie. Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc etc.) where as I have a very hard time differentiating if a person who is White is from England, French, German etc. Similarily, I also have a trouble sorting the African-American from the Africans etc.

I've noticed this trait in many people. The similar concept occurs in religion too. You may not know, but me and others alike, find it hard to understand how anyone can see us as anything but muslims. Likewise, for many European/American Christians, if you consider asking someone whether they were Muslim or Jew or any other, they'd look at you funny and ask does it look like they are. :?

Tell me if I'm making sense.
Reply

England
06-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh my God I can't believe I made this thread. I felt bad for asking but now I don't give a crap, miserable old fart :rollseyes How can you possibly be offended by being asked what religion you follow? He seemed a nice guy that's why I was curious. He was talking about the England game and that we should have won so I started thinking to myself "is he muslim?"

Now if he took offence to that then...lol....pfffffffft :giggling:

If someone said to me "are you French/American/Dutch/Swedish" or whatever I'd smile and tell him with pride "I'm English" :coolious:
Reply

Tania
06-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by England
with pride "I'm English" :coolious:
English men are not always well perceived. They are too with nose up:-[
Reply

England
06-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tania
English men are not always well perceived. They are too with nose up:-[
Huh? You mean arrogant lol? Don't mix arrogance with pride :D Even if nobody does like us, I'd do the exact same thing, I'd respond with pride :coolious: Although we English are liked abroad. I've been abroad to many places and the respect you get for being English is great, more so in Alanya, Turkey :)

But that's besides the point. He should have stuck his nose up and said "I'm muslim" with pride not get all whiney about it, miserable git :X
Reply

'Abd al-Baari
06-02-2007, 01:02 PM
But that's besides the point. He should have stuck his nose up and said "I'm muslim" with pride not get all whiney about it,
Agreed :)
Reply

chacha_jalebi
06-02-2007, 01:30 PM
england england ....

why didnt you just be a good little boy and sat nicely in the cab, instead of bein a nosey old hooligan:p

whats it to you what religion he is? get in the cab b quite n go home:p

na lol, i think he got offended cos you said hindu/sikh, if you had sd "are you muslim" directly, i dont tink he wud b offended.

its like me askin you are u a ladyboy or jus straight out gay? plz do ansa:p
Reply

England
06-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
england england ....

why didnt you just be a good little boy and sat nicely in the cab, instead of bein a nosey old hooligan:p

whats it to you what religion he is? get in the cab b quite n go home:p

na lol, i think he got offended cos you said hindu/sikh, if you had sd "are you muslim" directly, i dont tink he wud b offended.

its like me askin you are u a ladyboy or jus straight out gay? plz do ansa:p
It's nothing alike lol! :rollseyes
Reply

Muezzin
06-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by England
Well basically I caught a taxi home and I saw that the taxi driver was Asian so me being crafty asked him if he was Sikh/Hindu, wanting to know if he was muslim or not :) Perhaps it's the drink I dunno but I don't think the question was bad...?
Well basically I think he took offence, told me he was muslim and started asking if I had coloured friends :rollseyes I mean, what's it to him? :D

Would you be offended if someone had asked what religion you follow? Anything wrong with it? :X

If this doesn't make sense I'll correct it tomorrow :)
If you wanted to know if he was Muslim... why didn't you ask him?

I mean, if I wanted to know if someone was German or not, I wouldn't say 'so, are you French or Italian?' I'd ask 'Are you German?'

But to answer your question, I wouldn't get offended ordinarily - but if the person asking the question was doing it in a hostile manner, I probably would. I'm not implying that you were being hostile, mind you.
Reply

England
06-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
If you wanted to know if he was Muslim... why didn't you ask him?

I mean, if I wanted to know if someone was German or not, I wouldn't say 'so, are you French or Italian?' I'd ask 'Are you German?'

But to answer your question, I wouldn't get offended ordinarily - but if the person asking the question was doing it in a hostile manner, I probably would. I'm not implying that you were being hostile, mind you.

Basically because of the goings-off I tried to make it sound, ya know, innocent :) If I had asked him straight out "are you muslim?" I guess he would have took it the wrong way and have expected some abuse, I dunno. I was having a decent chat about the England football team... :)

It doesn't matter anyway. He'll have to learn not to be so soft :)
Reply

chacha_jalebi
06-02-2007, 02:49 PM
it is hah:p lol

sumtimes its easier to be direct then beat bout bush :D

lol its not offensive but weird, its lik someone askin me "are you muslim" and i reply "ya blud" then dat is the end of the convo, thats weird lol, and i wud tink the Q asker is a weirdo:p

its easy askin directly, and havin follow up Qs:D get me:shade:
Reply

Muezzin
06-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by England
Basically because of the goings-off I tried to make it sound, ya know, innocent :) If I had asked him straight out "are you muslim?" I guess he would have took it the wrong way and have expected some abuse, I dunno. I was having a decent chat about the England football team... :)
I see. I don't think he would have taken offence if you had asked, 'Are you Hindu, Sikh or Muslim?'

Or, heck even 'Are you religious?' :)
Reply

England
06-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
I see. I don't think he would have taken offence if you had asked, 'Are you Hindu, Sikh or Muslim?'

Or, heck even 'Are you religious?' :)
Let's just say I wasn't myself. I was returning home from a night out.

chacha_jalebi I guess I'm the weirdo then lol :rollseyes That's more or less what happened with me :D
Reply

vpb
06-02-2007, 04:50 PM
:sl:

if the person offends you, you have to be calm and not act stupid, u just leave him.

please watch this video. it's very short.

How Did Prophet Muhammad Himself Respond to Insults?


Media Tags are no longer supported
Reply

......
06-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Nope I Dont Think I Would....its Just A Question
Reply

ummAbdillah
06-05-2007, 07:09 PM
England give the guy a break, i mean just imagine being a taxi driver! its a stressful job. I not saying that your question was offensive but he might have had a bad day. :)
Reply

BanGuLLy
06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I dont think people would take that as an offense...I asked cab drivers if they were muslims..they didnt get mad.. they respect you more...

Asian = chinese, japenese etc...
Say Brown or South Asian or Desi..
Reply

Umar001
06-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by England
Well basically I caught a taxi home and I saw that the taxi driver was Asian so me being crafty asked him if he was Sikh/Hindu, wanting to know if he was muslim or not :) Perhaps it's the drink I dunno but I don't think the question was bad...?
Well basically I think he took offence, told me he was muslim and started asking if I had coloured friends :rollseyes I mean, what's it to him? :D

Would you be offended if someone had asked what religion you follow? Anything wrong with it? :X

If this doesn't make sense I'll correct it tomorrow :)
Maybe its because as Muslims we should stand out, so like, maybe he felt like you had erm attacked that.

Lol alhamdulillah everyone used to think I was muslim before I became Muslim lol I used to get angry when they would say salam aleykum.

But maybe you could have said to him: "Why you angry? I mean its not my fault that you dont show your Islam" <<Thats if he didnt show it :thumbs_up


As for muslims asking other people if they are muslim, then yall should be careful in a way, cos like alot of people end up annoyed when Muslims do that, example:

Walk into pizza shop, "Hi boss can I have a small pizza with anchovies please"..."Ok sir," and whilst you wait for the pizza you're asked "Are you Muslim?" you say "No" he says "Oh ok, dont worry"

That isnt rude to us when we look at it, but boy it makes a person feel akward, my mum always uses that as an example of the bad attitude of Muslims in the Uk!! And it is rude when you think about it from their view.
Reply

Muezzin
06-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bangsta
I dont think people would take that as an offense...I asked cab drivers if they were muslims..they didnt get mad.. they respect you more...

Asian = chinese, japenese etc...
Say Brown or South Asian or Desi..
In Britain, 'Asian' = 'Brown', 'South Asian or Desi'

We call the other group 'Oriental' or 'Chinese' (even though that's a gross and potentially offensive inaccuracy).
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 07:34 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 08:07 AM
  3. Replies: 89
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 02:32 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!