/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Computing goes from vertical to horizontal

ABWAN
06-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Microsoft Surface is a forthcoming product from Microsoft which is developed as a software and hardware combination technology that allows a user, or multiple users, to manipulate digital content by the use of natural motions, hand gestures, or physical objects. It was announced on May 30, 2007 and is expected to be released by commercial partners in November 2007. Initial customers will be in the hospitality businesses, such as restaurants, hotels, retail, and public entertainment venues.

You can find the demo here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4217348.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
vpb
06-03-2007, 09:40 AM
:sl:

i feel sorry about microsoft, bc something like that has already been introduced in ordinary computers who have Unix/Linux systems.

Media Tags are no longer supported

vpb
06-03-2007, 09:46 AM
it has music, so u might want to turn the volume down.

vpb
06-03-2007, 09:52 AM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
06-03-2007, 10:14 AM

wow..that first vid is cool :D
how much does that cost..?

vpb
06-03-2007, 10:22 AM
well, the monitor is touch screen, which u have to buy on a computer store, but as for the software that makes those effects, it is called Beryl Project and it is free.

http://www.beryl-project.org/

but still u can use beryl in ordinary monitor like the 2nd and 3rd video.

'Abd al-Baari
06-03-2007, 10:28 AM

wow..thats cool
Thanks for the link :)

sorry..but can i downlaod that...and if yeh how? i tried looking on the website but i couldn't find it
Jazakallah Khair in advance

vpb
06-03-2007, 10:54 AM
wow..thats cool
Thanks for the link

sorry..but can i downlaod that...and if yeh how? i tried looking on the website but i couldn't find it
Jazakallah Khair in advance
this works only on linux/unix system. what distribution do u use?

http://www.beryl-project.org/releases.php
here are the tarballs.

'Abd al-Baari
06-03-2007, 11:23 AM

oops silly me :-[
i don't have linux yet..maybe soon Inshallah

ABWAN
06-04-2007, 06:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb

i feel sorry about microsoft, bc something like that has already been introduced in ordinary computers who have Unix/Linux systems.

[url]
Well Microsoft has had touch screen for quite a while as well. In fact Windows Mobile that comes on cell phones have been touch screen for quite a while now.

'Microsoft Surface' IS NOT touchscreen! Thats the beauty. It doesnt use a touch screen display as well. I am guessing you havent seen the video completely. It uses cameras placed at different positions. Besides, can you place your wifi camera on your monitor (running unix or whatever) and then transfer all the pics to your cellphone in just a couple of motions? I have NEVER heard of that on ANY OS so far! Also 'MultiTouch' has also not been implemented from what I know. Apple IPhone thats getting released by the end of this month has Multitouch support. Microsoft surface coffee table can support 52 simultaneous touches at any part of the surface. So basically 5 people can play around on the 'surface'

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.