/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to repent

AnonymousPoster
06-04-2007, 04:51 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

I have to admit that I have not been a very good Muslim. I rarely pray or read Quran. I've also engaged in grave sins like lying and illegal substances use. But, I want to change. I have begun praying five times a day and will start reading the Quran. I ask forgiveness from Allah SWT every chance I get with the promise that I will never repeat my sins. And, I have so far kept my promise and intend to continue doing so. But, is this enough? I feel like I have been so bad that this is not enough to get Allah to forgive me? What else should I do? I know many of you may think I am a very bad Muslim, but I'm trying hard to become better.

Also, I don't want to tell any of my family and close friends my sins. I know keeping secrets is not a good idea, and I worry constantly that they come out, which causes me alot of stress. But, I know how disappointed they will be in me and may turn away from me. Do I need to tell them about my sins when I've asked Allah for forgiveness and promise never to do them again? And, is it haraam to ask Allah never to have my secret sins come out into the open? Thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
06-04-2007, 10:29 AM
:salamext:

Regret is one of the first parts in the process in repentance, then after that you should pray to Allaah to forgive you, and have the intention never to do that sin again. Then you should try to do lots of good deeds, because Allaah says:

..surely good deeds take away evil deeds...

[Qur'an Hud 11: 114]
Anyway, i know that's not enough so i want you to listen to this lecture by Yasir Qadhi, it's really top masha Allaah and i pray it benefits you in a positive way to draw closer to Allaah ameen:

glo
06-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Greetings, Fi_Sabilillah

Does Islam consider admitting one's sins to another human (as well as God) as a step in the process of repentance?

Clearly God is the one who has the power to forgive our sins ... but should we seek the forgiveness of those we have wronged too, to demonstrate that we are sorry and truly repentant?

Thanks

- Qatada -
06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greetings, Fi_Sabilillah

Does Islam consider admitting one's sins to another human (as well as God) as a step in the process of repentance?

Clearly God is the one who has the power to forgive our sins ... but should we seek the forgiveness of those we have wronged too, to demonstrate that we are sorry and truly repentant?

Thanks

Hey.

If someones commited many sins in the past, then they should obviously seek forgiveness off the ones they wronged. I.e. if they said some evil about someone, then they may go around saying good about that person in the future.

In regard to asking forgiveness off God, then they should keep their sin to between themselves and God since God is not in need of intermediarries, so the person should repent to God and He is prepared to forgive them.

God, the Most Compassionate says in His final revelation to mankind:

Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

And return [in repentance] to your Lord and submit to Him before the punishment comes upon you; then you will not be helped.

"And follow the best of (the courses) revealed to you from your Lord, before the Penalty comes on you - of a sudden while ye perceive not!-

Lest a soul should say, "Oh [how great is] my regret over what I neglected in regard to Allah and that I was among the mockers."

Or [lest] it say, "If only Allah had guided me, I would have been among the righteous."

Or [lest] it say when it sees the punishment, "If only I had another turn so I could be among the doers of good."

But yes, there had come to you My verses, but you denied them and were arrogant, and you were among the disbelievers.

And on the Day of Resurrection you will see those who lied about Allah [with] their faces blackened. Is there not in Hell a residence for the arrogant?

And Allah will deliver those who are the Muttaqun (pious - see V.2:2) to their places of success (Paradise). Evil shall touch them not, nor shall they grieve.

Allah is the Creator of all things, and He is, over all things, Disposer of affairs.

To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth. And they who disbelieve in the verses of Allah - it is those who are the losers.

Say, [O Muْammad], "Is it other than Allah that you order me to worship, O ignorant ones?"

And it was already revealed to you and to those before you that if you should associate [anything] with Allah , your work would surely become worthless, and you would surely be among the losers."

Nay! But worship Allah (Alone and none else), and be among the grateful.

They made not a just estimate of Allah such as is due to Him. And on the Day of Resurrection the whole of the earth will be grasped by His Hand and the heavens will be rolled up in His Right Hand. Glorified is He, and High is He above all that they associate as partners with Him!

[Qur'an 39: 53-67]

So we pray to God that He forgives us, and yes - that includes forgiveness off the ones we harmed. However, if it will cause more harm by going back to that person (i.e. saying that i chatted about you behind your back - then it would be better to actually say much good about the person rather than inform them of the evil you did, which they may not have known of.)

And God/Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
06-04-2007, 07:32 PM

To the original anon bro/sis, this hadith is also refreshing insha Allaah :)

On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) say: Allah the Almighty said:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it.

It was related by at-Tirmidhi (also by Ahmad ibn Hanbal). Its chain of authorities is sound.

glo
06-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks, Fi_Sabilillah.
I can always rely on your replies. :)

Peace

Umar001
06-04-2007, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) say: Allah the Almighty said:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it.

It was related by at-Tirmidhi (also by Ahmad ibn Hanbal). Its chain of authorities is sound.

Media Tags are no longer supported

Yanal
06-05-2007, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
Assalamu alaikum,

I have to admit that I have not been a very good Muslim. I rarely pray or read Quran. I've also engaged in grave sins like lying and illegal substances use. But, I want to change. I have begun praying five times a day and will start reading the Quran. I ask forgiveness from Allah SWT every chance I get with the promise that I will never repeat my sins. And, I have so far kept my promise and intend to continue doing so. But, is this enough? I feel like I have been so bad that this is not enough to get Allah to forgive me? What else should I do? I know many of you may think I am a very bad Muslim, but I'm trying hard to become better.

Also, I don't want to tell any of my family and close friends my sins. I know keeping secrets is not a good idea, and I worry constantly that they come out, which causes me alot of stress. But, I know how disappointed they will be in me and may turn away from me. Do I need to tell them about my sins when I've asked Allah for forgiveness and promise never to do them again? And, is it haraam to ask Allah never to have my secret sins come out into the open? Thank you
same the same stuff as i am going through and from tomorrow or afta tomorrow i will try to begin the five prayers

YasharG
06-05-2007, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

I liked this :) :)

Thank you.. or technically speaking, praise be to Allaah for the information :) :thumbs_up

Pk_#2
06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Wa Maghfiratuh,

Whenever the servant commits a wrong, a black spot is put in his heart. So, if he refrains from it, seeks forgiveness and repents, his heart is polished clean. But if he returns to the sin, the spot will increase until it overcomes his (entire) heart, and this is the ‘raan’ that Allah azzawjal mentions when He says: “Nay, but on their hearts is the raan (covering) which they used to earn.”‘ (Al-Mutaffifin 83:14).

Immediate Repentance! If you fall into even the slightest sin, do not hesitate to turn to Allah in repentance before shaytan whispers excuses for you to make, and thus causes you to forget the small black spot on your soul which, with neglect, only becomes more persistent until it causes you to sin again. The awareness it takes to recognize a sin, however small, and quickly repent, only comes from one who is conscious and knowledgeable.

Whoever abandons something for the sake of Allah compensates him with things better than that which he left and he achieves the sweetness of faith in his heart.’

"Whoever ate a food and then said, `Praise be to Allah who has fed me
this food and provided it for me, without any strength or power on my
part', is forgiven his past [and future*] sins. And whoever wears a
garment and says, `Praise be to Allah who has clothed me with this
(garment) and provided it for me, without any strength or power on my
part', is forgiven his past and future sins." [Ibn Majah, Abu Dawud,
at-Tirmidhi, an-Nasa'i, al-Bukhari in al-Kabeer, al-Hakim, ibn Sunni
and Ahmad. The addition marked by (*) is related by Abu Dawud. Shaykh
Al-Albani declared the hadeeth Hasan in Saheeh al-Jaami` (6086) and
in al-Irwaa' (1989). He said in al-Irwaa', "Such a hadeeth causes
hesitation between making it Hasan (good) and Da`eef (weak). Maybe
the first one is closer to be the truth, because those who made it
weak didn't explain it and didn't explain the reason for its
weakness. Allah knows best."]

Pk_#2
06-05-2007, 01:15 PM
O Allah! Forgive my errors, ignorance and immoderation in my affairs. You are better aware of my faults than myself. O Allah! Forgive my faults which I committed in seriousness or in fun deliberately or inadvertently. O Allah! Grant me pardon for those sins which I committed in the past and I may commit in future, which I committed in privacy or in public and all those sins of which You are better aware than me. You Alone can send whomever You will to Jannah, and You Alone can send whomever You will to Hell-fire and You are Omnipotent! Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.