/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sufferings

shine
06-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Assalam alykum

From the book Riyad-us-Saliheen.

37. Abu Sa`id and Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (PBUH) said: "Never a believer is stricken with a discomfort, an illness, an anxiety, a grief or mental worry or even the pricking of a thorn but Allah will expiate his sins on account of his patience".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith mentions the special Grace and Mercy of Allah for the Muslims. It relates how Allah turns the hardships and troubles suffered by a Muslim into a means of expiation for his sins. But this is only possible if the believer exercises patience. However, if he starts wailing instead of showing patience then beside suffering hardships, he would be deprived of the reward which lies in bearing them patiently. Thus, he shall have to take the burden of additional sins also.

38. Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I visited the Prophet (PBUH) when he was suffering fever. I said, "You seem to be suffering greatly, O Messenger of Allah.'' The Prophet (PBUH) replied, "Yes, I suffer as much as two persons.'' I said, "Is that because you have a double reward?'' He replied that that was so and then said, "No Muslim is afflicted by a harm, be it the pricking of a thorn or something more (painful than that), but Allah thereby causes his sins to fall away just as a tree sheds its leaves".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: Prophets have to face more than ordinary troubles and for that reason their reward to bear them is also increased. Thus, the excess of hardships and grief is a sign of perfect Faith and not a sign of Allah's displeasure.

39. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "He whom Allah intends good, He makes him to suffer from some affliction".
[Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: Troubles of this world like grief, calamity, disease, poverty, loss of life and property, etc., have a benign aspect for a Muslim in the sense that on account of them he turns towards Allah and begs mercy and compassion from Him because of which his sins are forgiven. Thus, in these troubles there is a blessing for him in the Hereafter.

40. Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Let not one of you wish for death because of a misfortune which befalls him. If he cannot help doing so, he should say: 'O Allah, keep me alive as long as You know that life is better for me, and make me die when death is better for me".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: Since man has no knowledge of his future, whether it is good or bad, so one should never desire for one's own death in consequence of frustration created by troubles and turmoil for two reasons. Firstly, desire for death is sheer impatience. Secondly, it is quite possible that remaining part of his life may be good for his religious and worldly life. So, it is prohibited to desire death. It is, however, permissible to desire for Shahadah or death in Makkah or Al-Madinah but it is a subject quite different from the one under discussion. However, if one has to express wish for his own death, he should do so in the words quoted in the Hadith concerned.

41. Khabbab bin Al-Aratt (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: We complained to the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) regarding the persecution inflicted upon us by the disbelievers while he was lying in the shade of the Ka`bah, having made a pillow of his cloak. We submitted: "Why do you not supplicate for our prevalence (over the opponents)?''. He (PBUH) replied, "Among those people before you, a man would be seized and held in a pit dug for him in the ground and he would be sawed into two halves from his head, and his flesh torn away from his bones with an iron comb; but, in spite of this, he would not wean away from his Faith. By Allah, Allah will bring this matter to its consummation until a rider will travel from San`a' to Hadramout fearing none except Allah, and except the wolf for his sheep, but you are in too much of a hurry".
[Al-Bukhari].

Another narration is: He (PBUH) had placed his cloak under his head and we had been tortured by the polytheists.

Commentary:
1. Difficulties in the path of Faith do not come in any particular period. People devoted to their Deen have passed through trials and tribulations everywhere and in every age and have emerged purified as does the gold after passing through the furnace. So, it is unbecoming for a Muslim to be disturbed by hardships.

2. The glad tidings about domination of religion and peace and security were given in the early period of Islam which were subsequently witnessed by the people. Even now wherever Islam is practised in true sense, peace and security are distinctive features of the system of that country.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.