/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is old Grape Juice haram?

06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi, I was wondering I had this in my head for a while....is Old Grape Juice haram?

because thats what wine is........old grape juice thats hasn't been touched for a while..........and I was wondering if you have old grape juice that you haven't touched for a while.........can u drink it? or isit haram?

Would really appreciate your help

Thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
06-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Grape juice don't turn into wine on their own. There is a process they are put thru to make wine out of them.

Why would you want to old grape juice anyway?

and does it cause intoxication?

If it has not changed then it is not haraam

you can try islamqa.com to further reseach

Muezzin
06-04-2007, 05:59 PM
How old are we talking here?

If it's like 'vintage' 1982, I sure as heck would not drink that juice. Not because it might have become alcoholic, but just because it's... nasty.

06-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I mean like a month

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
06-04-2007, 06:25 PM
or two months

chacha_jalebi
06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
i think if you buy and drink asap, then its fine, cause "apparently" after a while it can turn into wine

united
06-04-2007, 06:39 PM
this may help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winemaking

06-04-2007, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
i think if you buy and drink asap, then its fine, cause "apparently" after a while it can turn into wine
is it then haram to drink it?

'Abd al-Baari
06-04-2007, 07:42 PM
:sl:/Peace

Bro/Sis try asking your questions or searching for them at www.islamqa.com

Hope it helps Inshallahgh

Kittygyal
06-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Salamualikum.
Out of date then DO NOT DRINK THAT POP.
ma'assalama

Sinbad
06-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Wine is used for zoroastrian rituals:D I drink it almost everey day with dinner

glo
06-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Grape juice, or any juice for that matter, can start fermenting over time. Usually, once the bottle has been opened and natural yeast has managed to enter into the bottle.
All you need to make wine is liquid, (fruit) sugar and (the right) yeast.

I recently bought a fruit smoothie, which had a distinct 'off' taste, when I opened the bottle to drink it. I am sure it had started to turn into alcohol - and that without the bottle having been opened.

If the bottle is bulging, it is a sign that the contents are fermenting and are producing gases ... so look out for that!
If in doubt, smell it before you taste it. You will be able to tell that it smells different.

I suppose if you drank a mouthful of fermented juice unintentionally, it would not be held against you.
God is more forgiving that you may think! :)

Peace

Muslim Knight
06-05-2007, 08:10 AM
The rule of thumb here is that if the drink can cause intoxication (i.e. make you drunk) when consumed in quantities then it is forbidden even one drop.

Why is it forbidden to drink alcohol?

Question:
Why does islam prohibit drinking alcohol even in small amounts? And what does Koran say about it?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
No doubt alcohol is intoxicating, and contains this substance that makes people lose their minds. It says in the hadeeth, “Every intoxicant is khamr, and every khamr is haraam (forbidden).” If this is the case, then alcohol is considered to be forbidden and to come under the heading of “khamr”(wine, etc.) which people drink for relaxation or enjoyment. Allaah has forbidden it and stated that it is a sin, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
They ask you (O Muhammad) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and (some) benefits for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit’”
[al-Baqarah 2:219]
If sin is present and it is great, then it is forbidden. Undoubtedly this alcohol is harmful to the mind and body, and Allaah has forbidden everything that harms the body and mind, and saps the strength. Everything that is harmful to a person is not permitted, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
And do not kill yourselves”
[al-Nisaa’ 4:29]
and do not throw yourselves into destruction”
[al-Baqarah 2:195]
And because this is an extravagant waste of money, an action of the spendthrift which comes under the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):
Verily, the spendthrifts are brothers of the Shayaateen (devils)
[al-Israa 17:27]
Using alcohol in ways other than drinking it may be permitted if small amounts are used, such as mixing it with perfumes that are used on clothes or the body, because it keeps them from spoiling, and because it keeps the clothes clean. This is OK, but drinking it is not permissible under any circumstances.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen

north_malaysian
06-05-2007, 08:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ......
I mean like a month
Whoa.... when it comes to my fridge, those fruit juices could only last for 2 days MAXIMUM. Then they would be no longer in existence ---> :skeleton:

P/S: You have to look on the expiry date before buying

north_malaysian
06-05-2007, 08:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sinbad
Wine is used for zoroastrian rituals:D I drink it almost everey day with dinner
Dinner is a religious ritual in Zoroastrianism?

Do Zoroastrians have level of alcohol permitted to drink like the Jews?

Sinbad
06-05-2007, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Dinner is a religious ritual in Zoroastrianism?

Do Zoroastrians have level of alcohol permitted to drink like the Jews?
No its not, Its just me finding excuses to drink:D

No there are no rules for drinking, Wine comes from ancient persia so its like scotts and whiskey:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.