/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Excellent news: A new British day bank holiday

England
06-05-2007, 09:31 AM
A NEW British Day bank holiday is to being called for by ministers.

Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly and Immigration Minister Liam Byrne are drawing up plans for the extra break, which will celebrate what it means to be British.

It is thought PM-in-waiting Gordon Brown could rubber stamp the plans for the new holiday as one of his first acts when he takes power.

Advertisement
The move would be popular with unions. The TUC has been campaigning for the day as Britain has fewer public holidays than any other EU country.

In a speech last year, Mr Brown urged Labour supporters to "embrace the union flag". America, France and Australia all have national days.

Later today the Government will outline plans to make it harder to gain British citizenship.

Mr Byrne said: "We need to make it clearer that citizenship isn't something simply handed out but something that is earned."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...9520-19246948/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strider
06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Great, an extra day to sleep in.

England
06-05-2007, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Great, an extra day to sleep in.
Hopefully not :D If St. George's day is anything to go by then we should see parades on our streets :D :thumbs_up

Mesmerise
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
If it means a day off school/college, im all for it :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
:sl:
Nationalism makes my leftie centre hurt...
:D
:w:

England
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Brown is already making a good start. Let's hope he'll be a better leader than Tony Blair. He's been speaking about sorting that immigration out and spending more on sorting out immigration. Hopefully he's going to give us St. George's day as a national holiday too. Good start with the "British holiday"

Fishman
06-05-2007, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Brown is already making a good start. Let's hope he'll be a better leader than Tony Blair. He's been speaking about sorting that immigration out and spending more on sorting out immigration. Hopefully he's going to give us St. George's day as a national holiday too. Good start with the "British holiday"
I hope he doesn't. If I become PM I will let in anyone who is not a criminal or other person detrimental to our society. Nothing dangerous about Saint George's day being a national holiday of course, but these constructed holidays tell us about the worrying increase in nationalism.

Nationalism caused WWII, btw.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
06-05-2007, 05:41 PM
wow another British holiday, kool.

England
06-06-2007, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I hope he doesn't. If I become PM I will let in anyone who is not a criminal or other person detrimental to our society. Nothing dangerous about Saint George's day being a national holiday of course, but these constructed holidays tell us about the worrying increase in nationalism.

Nationalism caused WWII, btw.
I'm anti-immigration. I believe immigration should come to a COMPLETE halt and anyone that isn't legally here should be deported. The only time we should look to immigration is if we have jobs that need feeling, but at the same time British Nationals should be number 1 priority. Brown has promised this, let's just hope he sticks to it! I think he'll take alot more notice of the British people than Blair's done. Hence, "British day" and "embrace the union jack" and "immigration will be sorted."

chacha_jalebi
06-06-2007, 03:07 PM
england sorry to disturb you from your biscuit + teas + hot cross buns:p

but when the queen dies do we get a holiday aswell init:D

England
06-06-2007, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi

but when the queen dies do we get a holiday aswell init:D
*shrugs* I'd be for it! :)

iwuvaziaf
06-06-2007, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
hot cross buns? at this time of the year? must've been frozen previously...

Fishman
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm anti-immigration. I believe immigration should come to a COMPLETE halt and anyone that isn't legally here should be deported. The only time we should look to immigration is if we have jobs that need feeling, but at the same time British Nationals should be number 1 priority. Brown has promised this, let's just hope he sticks to it! I think he'll take alot more notice of the British people than Blair's done. Hence, "British day" and "embrace the union jack" and "immigration will be sorted."
Why do you want immigration to stop completely? If we didn't have immigration we would have no fish 'n' chips, no spag boll and no curry! Immigration enriches our society! :)

But there is a more serious side. Stricter immigration laws have meant fewer foreign workers coming to do jobs that just aren't glamerous enough for 'British Nationals'. As a result, we now have huge fields of fruit going to waste, just rotting where it lies! And that was from a small decrease in immigration. Imagine what a total ban would be like!

SATalha
06-06-2007, 05:31 PM
AHHHHHH whats the point this nation is lost anyway.

England
06-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Why do you want immigration to stop completely? If we didn't have immigration we would have no fish 'n' chips, no spag boll and no curry! Immigration enriches our society! :)

But there is a more serious side. Stricter immigration laws have meant fewer foreign workers coming to do jobs that just aren't glamerous enough for 'British Nationals'. As a result, we now have huge fields of fruit going to waste, just rotting where it lies! And that was from a small decrease in immigration. Imagine what a total ban would be like!
What?? Fish and chips is a British thing! Foreigners didn't start fish and chip shops. WE DID. I can make my own spaghetti bolognaise by buying pasta, vegetables and some herbs and spices from Morrisons. I don't eat curry but if I did, again, I'd get it from Morrisons. As I said I'm ONLY for immigration when it comes to job vacancies that need filling. If there no jobs available to fill then immigrants should be refused entry and any immigrant not working or doing the job they were brought here for should be deported immidiately. This would be beneficial for the British Nationals. The NHS would focus on nationals, job vacancies for nationals, easier for nationals to get houses, ZERO benefits going to immigrants, less to worry about when it comes to political correctness, less chance of races clashing etc..

Fishman
06-06-2007, 05:38 PM
What?? Fish and chips is a British thing! Foreigners didn't start fish and chip shops. WE DID. I can make my own spaghetti bolognaise by buying pasta, vegetables and some herbs and spices from Morrisons. I don't eat curry but if I did, again, I'd get it from Morrisons. As I said I'm ONLY for immigration when it comes to job vacancies that need filling. If there no jobs available to fill then immigrants should be refused entry and any immigrant not working or doing the job they were brought here for should be deported immidiately. This would be beneficial for the British Nationals. The NHS would focus on nationals, job vacancies for nationals, easier for nationals to get houses, ZERO benefits going to immigrants, less to worry about when it comes to political correctness, less chance of races clashing etc..
Fish 'n' chips were invented by French and Jewish immigrants, believe it or not! It was on the BBC website once.

What is a British National anyway? Someone born here? Someone white and Anglo Saxon?

England
06-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Fish 'n' chips were invented by French and Jewish immigrants, believe it or not! It was on the BBC website once.

What is a British National anyway? Someone born here? Someone white and Anglo Saxon?
But do you find a French/Jewish immigrants running these chippies anywhere? I'm sure you'll find they're all nationals therefore they are not needed as we can run them ourselves.
You know what a British National is. I do not, however, look at an immigrant granted citizenship in the UK as a British National. They're still foreign immigrants.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.