/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Secret plans to turn all Brits into veggies

England
06-06-2007, 03:08 PM
The secret plans to turn us all vegetarian

Secret plans to encourage the nation to give up eating meat are being examined by the Government.

A leaked e-mail expresses sympathy for the environmental benefits of a mass switch to a vegan diet - a strict form of vegetarianism which bans milk, dairy products and fish.

The change would need to be done "gently" because of a "risk of alienating the public", according to the document.

The extreme policy is being examined on the basis it could make a major contribution to slowing climate change.

Farm animals are blamed for producing huge amounts of the greenhouse gases methane and carbon dioxide.

However, the National Farmers' Union has ridiculed the idea as "simplistic".

The e-mail, sent to a vegetarian campaign group, comes from an official at the Environment Agency, a Government advisory body.

It states: "The potential benefit of a vegan diet in terms of climate impact could be very significant."

However, it does recognise that it would be very difficult to win public support for such a move.

Consequently, it says the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is looking to encourage a gradual change that would be more palatable to the general public.

The e-mail states: "It will be a case of introducing this gently as there is a risk of alienating the public majority."

The official goes on to say it is "unlikely" that the Environment Agency would ever suggest adopting a fully vegan lifestyle.

But the e-mail added: "Certainly encouraging people to examine their consumption of animal protein could be a key message."

The proposals are the latest in a raft of measures being promoted as helping to slow climate change.

Others include putting windmills on rooftops, driving electric cars and banning plastic bags.

The e-mail was sent to the campaigning vegetarian organisation Viva, which argues that it is more efficient to use land to grow crops for humans, rather than feeding them to farm animals and dairy cows.

Viva director Juliet Gellatley said: "I think it is extraordinary that a Government agency thinks becoming a vegetarian or vegan could have such a positive impact for the environment yet it is not prepared to stand up and argue the case.

"There is a growing awareness that our diet directly affects the world around us - and that vegetarians and vegans contribute far less to the destruction of the environment. For our planet's sake there is an urgent need to move away from a meat and dairy-obsessed Western diet."

NFU communications chief Anthony Gibson rejected these claims as "simplistic and flawed".

"This is not a black and white issue," he said.

"You have to look at how these crops are produced in terms of the energy used for growing and transport."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
06-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm not entirely sure whether this counts as a conspiracy theory. It is kind of funny though.

islamirama
06-06-2007, 06:16 PM
SO they are saying this causes more pollution....

then this....

yea ok....

England
06-06-2007, 06:17 PM
You mean it's out of the question? :rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
England
06-06-2007, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
SO they are saying this causes more pollution....

then this....

yea ok....

That's American. The US is well known for being the largest pollutors. This is the UK :D For it or against it?

Trumble
06-06-2007, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
The secret plans to turn us all vegetarian

Secret plans to encourage the nation to give up eating meat are being examined by the Government.

A leaked e-mail expresses sympathy for the environmental benefits of a mass switch to a vegan diet - a strict form of vegetarianism which bans milk, dairy products and fish.

Excellent idea! The best way to a happier and healthier Britain! :D

Cognescenti
06-06-2007, 07:34 PM
BTW..the graphic is wrong. The great bulk of the methane emanating from cows is from eruptation (belching).

It is not such a kooky idea, really. Most cows are not simply allowed to graze on natural grassland but are fatted up on grains. So, in addition to the CO2 and methane production directly, there is the issue of indirect CO2 production from carbon fuel use. Per gm of usable protein for human consumption, they tend to consume more energy (and therefore greater indirect CO2 production) than grains eaten directly by humans (for eg).

Of course, this is the kind of stuff that is going to make people mad. :) I can imagine a day when, like smokers now, a chap craving a hamburger will have to skulk off 100 yds away from the building, hunch down furtively and eat it raw so as not to be discovered by the smell of searing animal flesh. Or maybe, one day while out walking his pet orchids, he will chance upon a one week old deer carcass, be overcome by a signal from some bit of 200,000 yr old DNA, drive off the vultures, smash open a leg bone and suck out the marrow while making involuntary yummi sounds.

MTAFFI
06-06-2007, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
he will chance upon a one week old deer carcass, be overcome by a signal from some bit of 200,000 yr old DNA, drive off the vultures, smash open a leg bone and suck out the marrow while making involuntary yummi sounds.
woah....:eek:

You mean you arent supposed to do that???

islamirama
06-06-2007, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
That's American. The US is well known for being the largest pollutors. This is the UK :D For it or against it?
yea they are the biggest pollutors and contributors and yet they are also the hypocrites that back off from any plans of controlling that. Look at how they backed of again at the G8 Summit on control and regulations.

Umar001
06-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Why dont they just kill the surplass cows in India or something? I will always remeber though, Gandhi's statement on how he felt being a meat eater, surely is a blessing.

Fishman
06-06-2007, 08:18 PM
:sl:
Simple solution: Focus on lamb and chicken rather than beef and pork.
:w:

Cognescenti
06-06-2007, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
woah....:eek:

You mean you arent supposed to do that???
No..it's OK..just remember to wash your hands first.

Karina
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Excellent idea! The best way to a happier and healthier Britain! :D
Here here!!! And my chickens agree too. :D

S_87
06-07-2007, 02:58 PM
:sl:

i dont think itll happen :D

Sami Zaatari
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
well i cud live off pasta, pizza, and rice with peas, fries, bread, corn, mash potato nice soups spinach that doesnt sound bat attttttttt all with me! but i ate some chicken today :(

Zman
06-07-2007, 03:30 PM
:sl:/Peace To All

You guys have been watching too much Popeye. Veggies will be the death of you.

Stick to healthy food like Mc Doonalds, White Catsles, etc.

Where's the beef? There's nothing like it.

There's nothing like pulling an all-nighter watching movies and having your trusty bucket of fried chicken by your side...

MTAFFI
06-07-2007, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman
:sl:/Peace To All

You guys have been watching too much Popeye. Veggies will be the death of you.

Stick to healthy food like Mc Doonalds, White Catsles, etc.

Where's the beef? There's nothing like it.

There's nothing like pulling an all-nighter watching movies and having your trusty bucket of fried chicken by your side...
I think I just gained 10 lbs reading this post....+o(

Muezzin
06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I've deleted posts that are discussing individual members rather than the subject matter of the thread.

cihad
06-09-2007, 08:19 PM
i need meat!

Trumble
06-09-2007, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad
i need meat!

No you don't. (carefully avoids speech about the inefficiency and moral bankruptcy of farming livestock rather than cultivating cereals in a world where many millions go hungry etc, etc. etc.... :skeleton: )

Nawal89
06-09-2007, 10:21 PM
If cows cause so much damage then we shud eat them all off more quickly :p

KAding
06-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Good plan! There are so many reasons against meat (ethical, pollution, global warming, efficiency, health, etc) that it makes sense for the government to want to discourage it. Some gentle prodding and awareness campaigns might be in order. Of course it should remain a choice, but people should be made clear the costs.

Pygoscelis
06-10-2007, 03:07 AM
I have no problem with them encouraging vegatarianism. Seems like a decent thing to do.

They don't appear to be banning meat or forcing anybody to do anything. So I'm ok with this.

Thanaa
06-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Im Vegan.
Its true that lots of people eating meat and dairy contribute Climate change because of the sheer amount of waste; wasted meat, wasted fuel used in transportation, wasted electricity...
Not to mention the fact that cattle, etc. are why huge swathes of rainforest-any forest!- are lost every year.

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 01:09 PM
I am never giving up meat NEVER! :)

Thanaa
06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000
I am never giving up meat NEVER! :)
Oh go on, its fun! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.