/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the "truth"?

ranma1/2
06-07-2007, 01:39 AM
What is "truth" and how is it used in religion and science?

It seems to me that "truth" is frequently used by religions to give their religion some special backing but we then get to the which truth do you use.

SO what is the truth? How does one decide what is truth?

Are the words Truth and true different? Are they used differently?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Balthasar21
06-08-2007, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2

It seems to me that "truth" is frequently used by religions to give their religion some special backing but we then get to the which truth do you use.

You must overstand some thing people of Religion don't deal in TRUTH / TRUE they deal in BELIEF'sss / FAITH / BELIEVE , They have to wait until they DIE in order to find out what they have been taugh is TRUTH / TRUE or not which is sad , Go to any Religious house of worship / Teaching , Count how many time they used the words BELIEVE / BELIEF's / FAITH ok Then count how many time they say TRUTH / TRUE . Better yet count how many time the word BELIEVE is being used here ok .

ranma1/2
06-14-2007, 01:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Balthasar21
You must overstand some thing people of Religion don't deal in TRUTH / TRUE they deal in BELIEF'sss / FAITH / BELIEVE , They have to wait until they DIE in order to find out what they have been taugh is TRUTH / TRUE or not which is sad , Go to any Religious house of worship / Teaching , Count how many time they used the words BELIEVE / BELIEF's / FAITH ok Then count how many time they say TRUTH / TRUE . Better yet count how many time the word BELIEVE is being used here ok .
Oh i know that they dont deal in truth but m any Cl aim to.

جوري
06-14-2007, 02:13 AM
No one can define truth for you, or distill why they perceive the truth as they believe it to be. That is something you find through your own journeying and reflecting....for instance using a scientific analogy...
a young Doctor Sampson theorized that an endometrioma is caused by an increase in retrograde peristaltic-like contractions during menses causing the recurrence and dissemination in ectopic sites .. but such a hypothesis doesn't explain why some women have Endometriosis in the liver or the nose considering their anatomy to said structures in his theories, how did an endometrioma happen in the nose through these peristaltic retrograde contractions? Also how does it account that most women suffer this retrograde like contractions under physiologic conditions, yet not all women present with an endometrioma?.. There are several theories since, but none of them have been proven...

Do we accept the most popular theory even though it fails on many accounts? do we neglect it? I don't know.. you might not care so much as a physician, and just contend with the fact that they occur in some women and address treatment without understanding of etiology or origin. Just tell your patients, this is what we know so far... People live perfectly well that way, since no one since Dr. Sampson has really taken a stab at it.
Where is the truth? well a brave young doctor can step forth and try to understand the etiology a little better, run some studies, do his thing, and kick sampson and his theories off the scene, and then publish his work and if acceptable it won't be a theory but a fact, I personally think, it is one of those pathological states that we just won't know much about, and a person can go through life being a bit avant garde and discovering on his own? or accept the theories at hand, or just not care...
When it comes to religion many Atheists are in the "just not care" category, and it is their prerogative...
Bottom line is, no one can sway your opinion one way or the other, you have a head on your shoulder and that is what it is there for, to reason your way through life!

peace!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
06-14-2007, 02:33 AM
i don't believe there is something called The Truth.

dougmusr
06-14-2007, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i don't believe there is something called The Truth.
So you would say that the truth is that there is no truth?

snakelegs
06-14-2007, 03:23 AM
i would say the answer is unknowable.

dougmusr
06-14-2007, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i would say the answer is unknowable.
So it would be true that some things are unknowable?

snakelegs
06-14-2007, 03:33 AM
true! :D well, true to me, anyway.

Balthasar21
07-02-2007, 10:14 PM
You must learn to distinguish between Self and Truth . Self is the cause of Selfishness and the source of Evil . Truth cleaves to no Self ; It is universal and leads to justice and Righteousness .
Self , that which seems to those who love their Self as their being , It is not the eternal , the everlasting , the imperishable . Seek not Self , but seek the Truth . Trust in Truth , You who love the Truth , for the kingdom of Righteousness is founded upon Earth . The ignorance of error is dispelled by the Knowledge of Truth . We can see our way , and take firm and confident steps . The chosen one , our master , has revealed the Truth . The Truth cures our diseases , and redeems us from perdition ; The Truth strengthens us in life and in death ; The Truth alone can conquer the evil of Rejoice at the glad tidings .

IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2007, 01:04 PM
when you glance at a beautiful wild rose you wont immediately realise the truth of its thorns until you've been pricked.

when you roam the desert feeling extremely thirsty and find an igloo containing water you dont realise in truth its a mirage until you've filled your mouth with sand.

the truth is what is found by reflection/experience and what is impossible to deny.
the truth is that this world is a mere play and foolery, the truth is that death will snatch away all pleasures which life has to offer...

zoro
07-13-2007, 11:07 AM

ranma1/2:

Those are important questions, which I think Karl Popper answered amazingly well. His main point was that there are two different types of “truth” corresponding to the two different types of systems, “open” vs. “closed”.

The distinction between open vs. closed systems is the same as in science: open systems permit exchanges with their environment; closed systems don’t. Examples of open systems include cells, organs, human bodies, school systems, legal systems, health-care systems, transportation systems, and so on, including essentially every system in reality – including science and including reality, itself! As you may know, Popper was a strong advocate of open economic and political systems, which is what he called “open societies”.

Closed systems, in contrast, aren’t modified by their environment. Examples of closed systems include all games, pure mathematics, and essentially all religions. Communism attempted to be a closed economic system; any theocracy attempts to be closed political system; but experience has shown that it’s difficult to maintain closed societies (especially now that “we the people” can use the internet).

The difference in the meaning for “truth” in open vs. closed systems is critical. For closed systems, “truth” can be firmly established. For example, in poker a flush always beats a straight (regardless of the location, time of day, etc., i.e., regardless of the environment), in baseball it’s three strikes and you’re out, and so on for all games. Similarly, in pure (as opposed to applied) math, 1 + 1 = 2, the interior angles of a plane triangle sum to 180°, and so on, are always “true”, by definition. And so on it goes for all closed systems: Superman is invulnerable to everything but kryptonite, Moses parted the Reed Sea, Mary gave birth to Jesus by immaculate conception, Muhammad received messages from Gabriel, Joseph Smith translated the Golden Bible, and so on. The “proof” of the “truth” of all those statements can be found in the respective “holy books” (including the rule book for any game, any pure math text, any Superman comic book, and so on).

For open systems, however – in reality – we can never demonstrate “the truth” of anything (even of that statement!), because we never know what might arise around “the next bend” in either space or time (or space time). Instead, truth (and similarly, falsification) can be approached only asymptotically. For example, after literally millions of experimental tests, it does seem that the principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, etc. seem to be approaching the truth (e.g., that total electrical charge, energy, and momentum are always conserved), but who knows: tomorrow someone might demonstrate that one or more of those scientific principles (formerly called “laws”) are false.

As for you question “How does one decide what is truth?”, that’s where Popper stumbled a little. His idea (known as “Popper’s Principle”) is that science (i.e., knowledge) progresses with falsifiable hypotheses not yet falsified. That’s an appropriate statement, but he left the impression that there was an asymmetry in demonstrating what’s true vs. false: that we can approach “truth” only asymptotically but we can reject something as false relatively easily. Bayes’ method shows, however, that the process of verification and falsification are symmetric.

If you’re interested, I include an introduction to Bayes’ method in Chapter Ih of my book (see http://zenofzero.net/docs/IhHypothes...babilities.pdf ). I also include a discussion of “truth” in Chapter T (dealing with “Truth”) and show the extension of Popper’s principle in Chapter U (dealing with “Uncertainties”), but I haven’t yet posted those chapters. If you want to see draft copies, please contact me.

syilla
07-13-2007, 11:31 AM
:salamext:

Have you ever experienced in which you perceived differently on some matters...then after a few years you perceived it in a different way. Then you know that after all this years you have been wrong.

For example, a mother told a child to wear his jackets outside the house because it is cold. She told the child that if you don't wear it you'll catch cold. But the child doesn't know the truth because he never experienced the cold. So he never listened to his mother, rather he played outside without wearing jacket. Until the day he catched cold then he knew he was wrong all this while.

In islamic concept, the truth is something we will never understand and be known to us with our limitation of knowledge and senses. However, Allah will reveal the truth to the one that He wants. He will give hidayah and guidance to the one he wants. Especially to the ones who are trying hard to find the truth with ikhlaas (sincerity) and humbleness.

Wallahualam

zoro
07-13-2007, 01:47 PM
In Islamic concept, the truth is something we will never understand and be known to us with our limitation of knowledge and senses. However, Allah will reveal the truth to the one that He wants. He will give hidayah and guidance to the one he wants. Especially to the ones who are trying hard to find the truth with ikhlaas (sincerity) and humbleness.
Syilla: Thereby, I think that the scientific method is better. In contrast to the case you describe (which is vulnerable to any huckster claiming that “the truth” has been revealed to him or her), any claim to truth in science is subjected to experimental tests of its predictions. Then, the data (and Bayes’ method) are used to suggest if one is getting closer to (or further away from) “the truth”.

For example, a mother told a child to wear his jackets outside the house because it is cold. She told the child that if you don't wear it you'll catch cold. But the child doesn't know the truth because he never experienced the cold. So he never listened to his mother, rather he played outside without wearing jacket. Until the day he catched cold then he knew he was wrong all this while.
Thus, in your example, the child used the scientific method to get closer to the "truth".

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.