/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are Tatoo's Haram?

alifromegypt
06-08-2007, 05:03 AM
I have seen the post on this before in the forum and there was no clear definitive answer to the question of Tattoo's being haram. I understand body piercing and superficial plastic surgery being haram, but tattoo's i feel differently about.

The warrior's of Salah el Din used to have tattoo's all over their body with Allah and Muhammad(pbuh) on it. Are they all sinner's? A tattoo is just essentially a permanent drawing. If does not effective your health long-term, and if is virtually impossible to die becuz of getting a tattoo.

If anyone has a specific answer as to why tattoo's are haram, can you please inform me. I do not feel that getting a tattoo is self mutilation and i know many people that feel the same way.

Help me if you can.

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
06-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Salaheddin have tattoos.....:rollseyes I dont know that...

Malaysian Muslims are strict followers of Imam Ash-Shafi'i mazhab. I've heard that if a Muslim have tattoos when he died, the people who conduct the dead person's bath will skin the tattoos off the body with knives... before giving the dead body a proper bath.

Allah Alem!

beespreeteam
06-08-2007, 07:23 AM
I always thought it was Haram, but have never intended on getting one so haven't really researched into it.

Might do though ::)

Asyur an-Nagi
06-08-2007, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Salaheddin have tattoos.....:rollseyes I dont know that...

Malaysian Muslims are strict followers of Imam Ash-Shafi'i mazhab. I've heard that if a Muslim have tattoos when he died, the people who conduct the dead person's bath will skin the tattoos off the body with knives... before giving the dead body a proper bath.

Allah Alem!
:scared:
i have a snake tattooed on my back :scared:

but since i did it when i was not a muslim yet, is it still a sin?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
06-08-2007, 12:41 PM
:sl:

It is strictly forbidden!!

Ruling on tattooing in Islam

Question:
Is tattooing permissible in Islam?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Tattooing means to prick the skin with a needle and inject kohl or some other substance to change the skin colour to blue or green. This is haraam according to the consensus of the scholars. (al-Mughni 1/94)

Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:

Allaah has cursed the women who do tattoos and the women who have this done, the women who pluck their eyebrows, and the women who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and change the creation of Allaah.”

Agreed upon. Al-Lu’lu’ wa’l-Marjaan, part 2, p. 175

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=4130&ln=eng

Malaikah
06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi

Should be fine inshaallah... there is no sin upon you, you can read this for further information: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=5452&ln=eng

strider
06-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Why is it Haram? How is having a tattoo different from, lets say, applying henna on ones hands?

BanGuLLy
06-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I was gonna put an Allah tattoo on my upper back long time back.. but my friends told me its haram... cuz think about taking Allah's name to the washroom.. :S

Malaikah
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Why is it Haram? How is having a tattoo different from, lets say, applying henna on ones hands?

Firstly, because Allah and His messenger said so. :)

Secondly, because it is permanent where as henna is not.

Thirdly, henna is very healthy and harmless and a proven sunnah:statisfie , whereas tattooing is painful, causes bleeding and scarring and has no health benefit.+o(

That is all that I can think if....

*~Sofia~*
06-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Salam

Are tattoos allowed in Islam?

No they are not. Let us look at what Prophet Muhammad peace be upon commanded:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Yazid Al-Ansari: "The Prophet forbade robbery (taking away what belongs to others without their permission), and also forbade mutilation (or maiming) of bodies. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Oppressions, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 654)"

The following several narrations of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him were sent to me by Omar; may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him:

Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, 'The evil eye is a fact,' and he forbade tattooing. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 827)"

Narrated 'Aun bin Abu Juhaifa: "My father bought a slave who practiced the profession of cupping. (My father broke the slave's instruments of cupping). I asked my father why he had done so. He replied, 'The Prophet forbade the acceptance of the price of a dog or blood, and also forbade the profession of tattooing, getting tattooed and receiving or giving Riba, (usury), and cursed the picture-makers.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Sales and Trade, Volume 3, Book 34, Number 299)"

Narrated 'Abdullah: "Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7) (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815)"

As you can see, any type of body mutilation or maiming even if it were a small tattoo is clearly prohibited in Islam.

In Islam, we follow the laws of the Noble Quran, and the Sayings of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him.

If a situation or case is not addressed in neither the Noble Quran, or the Sayings of our beloved Prophet, then we follow the local verdicts of our Religious Authorities, where they would decide based upon the cultural and social situation and causes.

It is a must for us to follow the commands of our beloved Prophet peace be upon him, thus in this case, mutilation or maiming of any type to the human body and tattooing are prohibited.

source: http://www.answering-christianity.com/tattoos.htm

Hope this answered ur question :)

wasalam

Strzelecki
06-08-2007, 04:10 PM
I had a plan of a Scorpion on my forearm.
Becoming less sure, though.

cihad
06-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I luv henna

Kittygyal
06-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Salamualikum.
I feel bad now :cry:

I have two tatoo's. One on me spine right down which is a dragon and one on me arm which says 'SNOWY $CATS' :( But bare in mind i wans't a muslim then

Ma'assalama

Ra`eesah
06-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Assalamu`Alaykum

Dont worry about what you did before Islam, worry about what you do in the state of Islam.

As for the Skinning the dead person who has a tattoo, that sounds kinda weird since it goes against the conditons of the dead and their treatment. `Allahu `Alam.

06-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I Heard Henna Is Haram For Men Is This True??....and When I Read Above It Said Its Sunnah But It Didn't Mention A Specific Gender

Ra`eesah
06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
No its not haram for men.

*~Sofia~*
06-08-2007, 07:52 PM
salam,

i found this hadith, it suggests that it's not haram for men to use henna..as they are allowed to put it in their beard.

Question:
Is it permissible to mix red henna with black katam and put it on the grey hair of the beard, noting that after that the colour of the beard will be black from a distance, and from close up it will be clear that the colour is dark brown?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The Sunnah is to change the grey hairs by using henna, or henna and katam. If it is changed using henna it will be orange and if it is changed using henna and katam it will be between red and black. There is nothing wrong with that and no sin involved, in sha Allah.

source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=henna

hope this helped :)

wasalam

06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I Mean On The Skin.........not Hair Or Beard........is It Still Permissable???

Kittygyal
06-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Salamualikum.
Skin??? whats Henna?
Ma'assalama

06-08-2007, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum.
Skin??? whats Henna?
Ma'assalama
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna

Kittygyal
06-08-2007, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ......
Salamualikum.
Alright! :clever:
Ma'assalama

*~Sofia~*
06-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I Mean On The Skin.........not Hair Or Beard........is It Still Permissable???
^ yeh it is

wasalam

06-08-2007, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*
^ yeh it is

wasalam
Aightt, cool thanks

Strzelecki
06-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Oh. Good to hear henna's all good.
*Goes off to bathe in it.* :lol:

3ARABY_2005
06-09-2007, 09:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

It is strictly forbidden!!

Ruling on tattooing in Islam

Question:
Is tattooing permissible in Islam?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Tattooing means to prick the skin with a needle and inject kohl or some other substance to change the skin colour to blue or green. This is haraam according to the consensus of the scholars. (al-Mughni 1/94)

Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:

Allaah has cursed the women who do tattoos and the women who have this done, the women who pluck their eyebrows, and the women who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and change the creation of Allaah.”

Agreed upon. Al-Lu’lu’ wa’l-Marjaan, part 2, p. 175

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=4130&ln=eng
that's right
JAZAKUMULLAH KHAIR :thumbs_up

alifromegypt
06-09-2007, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Firstly, because Allah and His messenger said so. :)

Secondly, because it is permanent where as henna is not.

Thirdly, henna is very healthy and harmless and a proven sunnah:statisfie , whereas tattooing is painful, causes bleeding and scarring and has no health benefit.+o(

That is all that I can think if....
I can understand if it is a Hadith, that would automatically make it haram. But i don't think that because a tattoo is permanent and henna is not, can justify a reason for it being haram.

The objective is still the same. To have a design and color something you enjoy or like painted on you. Just because henna is not permanent is not a justifiable reason for it not being haram.

And since when does henna have health benefits or is it classified as being very healthy? And what are those benefits?

So if by the assumption that anything that causes bleeding and scarring is haram, then is surgery haram? Is cutting yourself accidentally haram?

I need a good argument, with clear facts not heresay please.

I am still not convinced...once i read the hadith i will, but i need to research it. Does anyone have any reasons besides the hadith or is that what the backbone of the argument is?

06-09-2007, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alifromegypt
I can understand if it is a Hadith, that would automatically make it haram. But i don't think that because a tattoo is permanent and henna is not, can justify a reason for it being haram.

The objective is still the same. To have a design and color something you enjoy or like painted on you. Just because henna is not permanent is not a justifiable reason for it not being haram.

And since when does henna have health benefits or is it classified as being very healthy? And what are those benefits?

So if by the assumption that anything that causes bleeding and scarring is haram, then is surgery haram? Is cutting yourself accidentally haram?

I need a good argument, with clear facts not heresay please.

I am still not convinced...once i read the hadith i will, but i need to research it. Does anyone have any reasons besides the hadith or is that what the backbone of the argument is?
If u cut ur self by accident.........u never had that in mind.........ur intention wasn't to cut urself...!! just pointing that out

alifromegypt
06-10-2007, 12:49 AM
And that is the only part of my argument that you responded to....

Please respond to my other points...if you have anything of intellectual value to say.

Thanks

Malaikah
06-10-2007, 01:29 AM

Here is the hadith then, it should be enough for you:

It was posted earlier.

Abu Muslim
06-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Tatoos haram? Yes

Allowed? No

Hope that answers the question and Allah knows best.

Yanal
06-10-2007, 02:43 AM
if real Tatoos aren't allowed then are fake tatoos alllowed the ones that come off when u pour water on top of it

north_malaysian
06-11-2007, 07:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi

when you converted to Islam... you have no sins for things you have done as a Non muslim.

But I'm scared... in case something bad happened to you (May Allah forbid it) in Malaysia, and those in-charge of cleansing your body might remove your tattoos with knives (which is mutilating your body) before giving you your final bath.

And for women, if they dyed their hair with permanent hair dye... those in-charge of bathing their dead bodies would shave the hair... all of it.

And the worst of all, if they have their fingernails coloured... they'll pull out the fingernails (The whole of it) off the fingers.

syilla
06-11-2007, 08:00 AM
when you converted to Islam... you have no sins for things you have done as a Non muslim.

But I'm scared... in case something bad happened to you (May Allah forbid it) in Malaysia, and those in-charge of cleansing your body might remove your tattoos with knives (which is mutilating your body) before giving you your final bath.

And for women, if they dyed their hair with permanent hair dye... those in-charge of bathing their dead bodies would shave the hair... all of it.

And the worst of all, if they have their fingernails coloured... they'll pull out the fingernails (The whole of it) off the fingers.
:salamext:

never heard of these though... :exhausted

about the fingernails...you can actually remove it only by using the tinner.

What i heard from my ustadz is that you can't hurt the dead bodies. Their skin are more sensitive to pain compared to us.

Malaikah
06-11-2007, 08:04 AM

Are you for real?! Why don't they just use nail polish remover????

north_malaysian
06-11-2007, 08:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
:salamext:

never heard of these though... :exhausted

about the fingernails...you can actually remove it only by using the tinner.

What i heard from my ustadz is that you can't hurt the dead bodies. Their skin are more sensitive than us.
it is... that what happened to Norita (that famous case)

from what I've heard many of them refuse to bath a dead body if there are still those thing which they considered impured. Bathing a dead body is like taking ablution... the water must touch the skins directly.

Maybe it's done in northern region only... :?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.