/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can I become a Muslim?

JNK
06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I really did not know what put in the topic starter soo I put that instead. I want to become Muslim and have for some time now. Im 23 years old, I live in the southern part of america, think Kentucky. Where people are not open to Islam and very much pushing christianity on others. I did alot of things Im not proud of in my past, I have tattoos on my face, hands and arms. At the time I was young, naive but now Im just disgusted by my own actions against my body. I came to know Allah and Islam from a man I use to play video games with on xbox 360 over a live internet connection. He was muslim, He told me many things, encouragment and even truth from The Quran. I have not spoke to him in a long time, seems he doesnt come on the system anymore. But I will not forget him.

I just recently found out there is a mosque 30 miles from me. Recently built there which made me feel at ease and happy. I do not know how to become Muslim, But I want too. I truly feel I cannot go on any further in my and not serve Allah. But Im concerned, I have all these tattoos will that effect me from becoming a muslim? Im also concerned about what I should eat, how to pray and things like that I need to know. I havent gone to the Mosque yet nor have a Quran but Im thinking of going to the mosque and getting a Quran.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
06-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey JNK! :) Welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry there was a slight delay.

Allaah/God Almighty says in His final revelation - the Qur'an:

Say to the Unbelievers, if (now) they desist (from Unbelief), their past would be forgiven them; but if they persist, the punishment of those before them is already (a matter of warning for them).

[Qur'an 8: 38]

Allaah, the Most Merciful also says:

“O My slaves, all of you are astray except those whom I guide, so ask Me for guidance, and I will guide you. O My slaves, all of you are hungry except those whom I feed, so ask me for food and I will feed you. O My slaves, all of you are naked except those whom I clothe, so ask Me for clothing and I will clothe you. … O My slaves, if the first of you and the last of you, your humans and your jinn, were to stand on a single plain and ask of Me and I were to give each one what he asked for, that would not cause any loss to Me greater than what is lost when a needle is dipped into the sea.”

Narrated by Muslim (2577).

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: Allah the Almighty said:
I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).

Regarding the issue of the tattoos, then that isn't your fault since you didn't really know it was forbidden before,
`Amr Ibn Al-`As narrates, “When Islam entered my heart, I went to the Messenger of Allah and said, ‘Give me your hand so that I may pledge allegiance to you.’ The Prophet spread his hand, but I withdrew mine. He said, ‘What is wrong `Amr?’ I said, ‘I want to make a condition.’ ‘And what is that?’ he said. I said, ‘That Allah will forgive me.’

Then the Messenger of Allah said, ‘Did you not know that Islam wipes out what came before it, and that Hijrah (emigrating for the sake of Allah) wipes out what came before it and that Hajj (the pilgrimage) wipes out what came before it!”

(Recorded in Sahih Muslim)

To become a muslim, all you have to testify is to the following, now that you're reading this - if you're willing to. Just read the following out aloud:

I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah (God), and i bear witness that Muhammad is the servant and final Messenger of Allaah.

Now in arabic: :)

Ash hadu an laaa illaaha ill Allaah, Muhammadun Rasool Allaah.

Once you say this, you've become a muslim and Allaah has forgiven all the mistakes you've done before! :) And you've joined the family of Islaam, a family of 1 billion people in the world! And without a doubt, those who believe, and obey Allaah and His Messenger - there reward is nothing less than Paradise.

After this you should have a bath because you're like a new born baby - sinless, and we can teach you how to perform the 5 daily prayers maybe? :) And you can go to the Masjid/Mosque which you were talking about and get hold of a copy of Qur'an.

We look forward to your posts and stay brother, and if you ever have any questions - please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Peace.

vpb
06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
JNK, I think there is a town in Kentucky with about 90% muslims. but I can't remember the name of the town. maybe if you check that town someone can help you there.

ozzy249
06-08-2007, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Hey JNK! :) Welcome to the forums.
[/INDENT]Once you say this, you've become a muslim and Allaah has forgiven all the mistakes you've done before! :) And you've joined the family of Islaam, a family of 1 billion people in the world! And without a doubt, those who believe, and obey Allaah and His Messenger - there reward is nothing less than Paradise.

Peace.
It's actually a family of nearly 2 billion people not 1 billion.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
XRUHYX
06-08-2007, 11:37 PM
:sl: such a wonderful news that you want to become a muslim! Allahu Aakbar....be sure to know that Allah has guided you if you truly believe and want to embrace Islam....Islam is such a beautiful deen brother you'll be able to taste the sweetness of this wonderful deen once u embrace it and start acting upon it.

I don't have enough knowledge to guide you through but I am sure somebody here will be able to guide you to becoming a muslim Inshallah...and yes ofcourse you can become a muslim no matter how much sins you've got..Islam removes all the past sins as long as you repent sincrerely Inshallah...It's the intentions that count.

Looking foward to hear that you have taken the shahadah Inshallah.

Ubaidah
06-09-2007, 01:37 AM
As someone who has a very similar story to you (22 yrs old, live in the south, only one tattoo in my case)... and as some who just recently reverted to Islam allow me to say this: Enjoy the process of learning and embracing Islam if you should decide to revert. Embracing Islam is a wonderful feeling, and if there is anything I can help you with feel free to PM me.

Woodrow
06-09-2007, 02:53 AM
Great to see your desire to seek the truth of Islam. You will find that many of us here are reverts.

If a Texas cowboy can revert to Islam, no reason a Kentuckian can't. If you have any questions always feel free to ask.Many of us have been down the same path you are now stepping onto.

Sami Zaatari
06-09-2007, 03:22 AM
your past sins are forgiven and all your good deeds you did as a non muslim are still counted, and not only that, you get a double reward in good deeds for accepting Islam.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Salaam(Peace) brother!

MashaAllah thats wonderful news.
Pleaseee let us know when decide to revert InshaAllah.
What can I say! Everyones given good advice. May Allah(swt) set u amongst the righteous. If your truly sincere, do not hesitate InshaAllah.
Good luck brother :)

Peace :D

vpb
06-09-2007, 05:30 AM
lol, it was so funny when I watched a video one day, this guy embraced Islam, and he still didn't know about tattoes, so he went out of his passion that he embraces Islam, and he made a tattoe on his hand "Allahu Akbar" .. and later he realized what he did, but can't take it off now, so he has to be careful now . lolll

may Allah guide us all. ameen

Woodrow
06-09-2007, 05:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
lol, it was so funny when I watched a video one day, this guy embraced Islam, and he still didn't know about tattoes, so he went out of his passion that he embraces Islam, and he made a tattoe on his hand "Allahu Akbar" .. and later he realized what he did, but can't take it off now, so he has to be careful now . lolll

may Allah guide us all. ameen
I can sympathize with that. When I first reverted I had wanted to have the Shahadah tattooed on my right arm. I learned quick when I asked the Iman of the Mosque if he could recommend a tattoo artist who knew Arabic.

MuslimahMuminah
06-09-2007, 06:18 AM
A-Salam, Lol Woodrow. Funny. This topic made my day. Allahu Akbar, it makes me happy to see a brother wanting to revert. I wish you the best brother. May Allah make it an easy journey for you Insha'allah.

mariam.
06-09-2007, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JNK
I really did not know what put in the topic starter soo I put that instead. I want to become Muslim and have for some time now. Im 23 years old, I live in the southern part of america, think Kentucky. Where people are not open to Islam and very much pushing christianity on others. I did alot of things Im not proud of in my past, I have tattoos on my face, hands and arms. At the time I was young, naive but now Im just disgusted by my own actions against my body. I came to know Allah and Islam from a man I use to play video games with on xbox 360 over a live internet connection. He was muslim, He told me many things, encouragment and even truth from The Quran. I have not spoke to him in a long time, seems he doesnt come on the system anymore. But I will not forget him.

I just recently found out there is a mosque 30 miles from me. Recently built there which made me feel at ease and happy. I do not know how to become Muslim, But I want too. I truly feel I cannot go on any further in my and not serve Allah. But Im concerned, I have all these tattoos will that effect me from becoming a muslim? Im also concerned about what I should eat, how to pray and things like that I need to know. I havent gone to the Mosque yet nor have a Quran but Im thinking of going to the mosque and getting a Quran.
Peace be upon who follow the truth and seek for it:

Thank god because you give us a chance to help our brothers and sisters in humanity to know this paradise that we live in beside you my LORD .. When we bow in front of your majesty (Allah's majesty).

brother JNK I don't know why your words make me cry .. Maybe becouse it's proceed from honest heart ..

May Allah blessing you and make you from his pious servants that he Loves them.

peace :)

cihad
06-09-2007, 08:25 PM
all the best Inshallah

YasharG
06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
My uneducated opinion is that you could be proud of your tattoos, because it testifies the huge change that has taken place in your life, thanks to Allah.

Peace.

ScoobyGurl
06-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Masha'Allah, by becoming Muslims all your past sins will be forgiven. May Allah (swt) bless you and help you on your path. :)

Abu Muslim
06-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Of course you can bro, just do it [not from the nike advert honestly]

Texas is covered for, you can make a documentary "Being Muslim in Kentucky" *smiles*

IceQueen~
06-10-2007, 10:29 AM
:salamext: WELCOME to LI and Islam Alhamdulillah!!! :)

Allahu Akbar!! (Allah is the Greatest)

:w:

shazme
06-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Assalamalikum

Welcome to the world of islam brother may Allah (s.w.t) make u firm n make easy for u the straight path...in regardence to ur question about tattooing....here is the answer.....from www.islamqa.com....i hope this helps u Ameen Allahumma Ameen...JazakAllah khair.....

She had a tattoo done before she became Muslim. Is she cursed?

Question:
Before I converted to Islam, I got tatooed. I have recently read about a tatooed women being a cursed woman.
Does this apply to me as well? If I become engaged, should I tell my husband about this before hand, in case he does not want to become engaged to a "cursed woman"?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The Muslim must realize that Islam erases any sins that came before it, and indeed Allaah changes them into good deeds, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Furqaan 25:70]

It was narrated that ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: When Allaah put Islam in my heart, I went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Give me your right hand so that I may give you my oath of allegiance.” So he held out his hand, but I held my hand back. He said, “What is the matter, O ‘Amr?” I said, “I want to make a condition.” He said, “What is your condition?” I said, “That I be forgiven.” He said, “Do you not know that Islam wipes out whatever came before it, and that hijrah (migration for the sake of Allaah) wipes out whatever came before it, and that Hajj wipes out whatever came before it?”

(Narrated by Muslim, 121).

This hadeeth indicates that whoever becomes Muslim is forgiven for all the bad deeds that he may have done before he became a Muslim.

Secondly:

It was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that tattooing is haraam (forbidden).

It was narrated that Abu Juhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos, the one who has a tattoo done, the one who consumes riba (usury or interest) and the one who pays it, and he forbade the price of a dog and the earnings of a prostitute, and he cursed the image-makers.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5032).

Tattooing is a major sin, but if a person repents from it, Allaah will accept his repentance.

Thirdly:

Modern medicine is able to remove tattoos; the remedy exists so you can easily get rid of it, in sha Allah.

Fourthly:

The curse of the woman who does tattoos is not permanent; rather when a person repents from it, that curse is lifted. So it is a mistake for you to say that you are a cursed woman. Rather we ask Allaah to make you good and righteous.

Fifthly:

Undoubtedly the one who wants to marry you will understand this issue, especially that it was before you became Muslim. Even if it was after you became Muslim, so long as the Muslim has repented from it, he cannot be blamed or called to account for it, rather his bad deeds are changed into good deeds.

And Allaah knows best.

Rafeeq
06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Allah U Akbar. Welcome to the society of piece and ease.

Aysenur
06-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Assalam alaykoum wa ramatullah wa baraktu

Allah akbar

I am so touched by your convertion to islam . Al hamdulillah soubhane allah there is one more muslim on this world.
The tears came in my eyes. I remember when I also convert to islam 6 years ago Al hamdulillah. This is a wonderful feeling when I think to this moment... I would like to come back when I was new muslim again and again.

I also think there is an hadith about it ... I don"t know if there is someone who know this hadith and the source?? If yes I would be happy to read again..

Thank you

And welcome in your new life.
May Allah give you strenght in your faith

As salama

Ahmed_Asad
06-12-2007, 12:34 PM
subhanallah im really over joyed to hear this! may allah guide you and who knows ? you may become the best one among us all!

meriam
06-13-2007, 03:58 PM

islamirama
06-13-2007, 05:50 PM
check this out :)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/islaam4all/

saira-k
06-13-2007, 06:03 PM
wow mashAllah. reli good to hear u say u want to become a muslim :)

Gangster No.1
06-15-2007, 09:16 AM
:sl: :D

Welcome to the familly of islam.

any way where is the bro himslef, he hasnt replied. Inshlah allah will guide him and all of us to paradise.

skhalid
06-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I think you can still convert bro....you just need to have faith in God and i'm sure if you speak to the right peopel they will welcome you into Islam with open hands....good luck :thumbs_up

Tobias_Muslim
07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
It's not good that you have tattoes, can they be removed?

But it shouldn't stop you from being able to be a muslim.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.