/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A message to Russia

England
06-08-2007, 08:00 PM
New UK nuclear submarine launched

The Royal Navy's latest nuclear submarine has been launched by the Duchess of Cornwall, almost four years behind schedule.
HMS Astute is the first of four new vessels that will be the UK's largest and most powerful attack submarines.

Defence minister Lord Drayson called it "a truly remarkable vessel, and her importance cannot be underestimated".

The £3.5bn programme was dogged by delays and budget overruns, with the government putting in an extra £450m.

'Immensely powerful'

Astute was launched at the BAE Systems shipyard in Barrow, Cumbria, which employs about 3,000 people.

Dockyard workers, schoolchildren, naval personnel, VIP guests and navy top brass were among the 10,000 visitors who cheered as Camilla launched Astute with a bottle of beer brewed by her crew.

"As an Admiral's wife myself, I am delighted to be in Barrow-in-Furness today for the naming and launching of Astute," she said.

Ron Jones, 58, from the Wirral, is a draughtsman for BAE Systems who was at the launch.

He said: "It's a proud moment when you see it rolling out. I was only a small cog in building it, but you still feel part of it."

Also attending the launch was Carol Jones, 59, also from the Wirral, who said: "It's a fantastic piece of engineering, a national achievement, but I think it looks quite frightening, all in black."

Self-sufficient

BAE Systems says the project is more technologically complex than the space shuttle.

Each of the four new Astute Class vessels will weigh 7,800 metric tons - equivalent to 1,000 double-decker buses - and be almost 100 metres (328ft) long.

The First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir Jonathon Band, described them as "immensely powerful".

He said: "They will form a key part of our future programme, giving the Royal Navy the versatility and technical excellence needed to operate successfully across the globe in decades to come."

The government signed the Astute contract in 1997 but the first hull sections were not laid until 2001.

Astute will become HMS Astute when it enters service in 2009.

She will create her own oxygen and fresh water from seawater and will be armed with Spearfish torpedoes and Tomahawk cruise missiles capable of hitting a target 2,000km inland.

Along with the three other Astute Class vessels - Ambush, Artful and Audacious - she will be commissioned for 25 years.

It is the first time that the Duchess of Cornwall has launched a vessel.

She was presented with a retriever puppy, as a retriever is on Astute's crest. The puppy will be donated as a guide dog for the blind.

Size: 97m (318ft) long, 11.2m (36.7ft) wide, 7,400 metric tonnes (8,157 tons) - 25% heavier and 30% longer than Trafalgar class

Firepower: Six Spearfish torpedo tubes, 38 Tomahawk cruise missiles

Top speed underwater: Undisclosed, but Royal Navy says above 20 knots

Maximum diving depth Undisclosed, but Royal Navy says more than 150m (492ft)

Number of crew: 98 compared with 115 on Trafalgar, with better facilities

Latest technology: Two masts carrying thermal imaging and low-light cameras replace periscope; images can be captured and transmitted to other fleets; advanced sonar

Fuel: Complex pressurised water reactor powers submarine for full service life

Other vessels in class: Ambush, Artful, Audacious

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6733777.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
guyabano
06-11-2007, 08:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
New UK nuclear submarine launched

The Royal Navy's latest nuclear submarine has been launched by the Duchess of Cornwall, almost four years behind schedule.
HMS Astute is the first of four new vessels that will be the UK's largest and most powerful attack submarines.

Defence minister Lord Drayson called it "a truly remarkable vessel, and her importance cannot be underestimated".

The £3.5bn programme was dogged by delays and budget overruns, with the government putting in an extra £450m.

'Immensely powerful'

<...>
Impressive !

But what is the sense of it? When everybody launches atomic missiles at each other, there will be finally no winner !
Why not investing this money in peace and global warming?

north_malaysian
06-11-2007, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Why not investing this money in peace and global warming?
:clever: :clever: :clever: :clever: :clever:

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Indeed the vanguard is a very impressive piece of technology. You can read more about it here:

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/vanguard/

However i fail to see how this is a message to the Soviet union, sorry i forgot i mean russia (with putin @ the healm i got confused). Such implements of war will probably never be used against russia however the threat of mutual destruction is a cold but deadly one.

:thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.