/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Our insurgency at home

islamirama
06-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Our insurgency at home

White America must return to the source of its racist society. They must take responsibility for slavery, Jim Crow and the Ku Klux Klan. Restitutions must be made.

By Dylan Miracle

The shooting of a black man by a white police officer last Sunday resurrected the debate of whether the Austin Police Department is an intrinsically racist institution, or whether minorities experience a greater number of entanglements with the police because a greater number of criminals are minorities. While there are problems within APD, this shooting points to a deeper problem in our inherently racist society.

When a white officer shoots a black man, it is easy to fault a racist cop. When a white officer is quick to shoot a black man out of fear, the racist society is at fault. That officer may believe that the black man views the police as an institution made with the purpose of arresting and harassing black men.

We have passed the eras of slavery and Jim Crow, but they have left a virulent and powerful legacy. Our powerful economy was built upon slave labor, and the very group of people who were once slaves now suffer the most crime - poverty and incarceration.

The two major political ideologies in the U.S. have different solutions to the problems of black crime, black poverty and black incarceration. The conservative solution is one of punishment - the black communities teach disrespect for the law and should therefore be punished. Further, this view claims poverty is a result of laziness and should not be rewarded with government handouts. Build enough prisons to contain criminals from the black communities and eventually only those who respect the law will be left. This is the "strict father" model. The strict father will discipline his children when they do wrong and eventually they will be good. The model of discipline was also used between masters and slaves. The conservative solution to the problems facing black society is a perpetuation of the system that created the racist society in the first place.

The liberal solution is one of nurturing - black communities are poor and helpless and need guidance by a helpful white society. Parents should pick children up when they fall and nurture them to become compassionate adults. Welfare and education are the way to bring a decrepit black society into the light of liberal whiteness, as the nurturing of a parent will create empathy and economic success. Liberal policy still holds black society as being a child who should be molded into the white ideal.

Both major political philosophies are racist in their solution to crime, poverty and incarceration in the black communities. White America must return to the source of its racist society. They must take responsibility for slavery, Jim Crow and the Ku Klux Klan. Restitutions must be made.

As the U.S. pulls out of Iraq over the next decade, trillions of dollars will be spent on propping up the economy of the Iraqi people. No expense will be spared to make sure a powerful Iraqi economy exists and that the U.S. is its primary trading partner.

A strong economy will also ensure that there is no effective Iraqi insurgency. Black society in the U.S. needs exactly that kind of economic restitution. Instead, societal pressures suggest blacks must abandon their culture and become more like their white counterparts in order to participate in the economy.

White society is not improving black communities by treating them like children to be nurtured or punished. While white society and black society are not completely segregated, to many growing up in poor black communities, the affluence of white society may seem unattainable. Through this disparity, and through botched attempts to fix poor black communities, white society has created an insurgency of young, black men. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, a black male has a 32 percent likelihood of going to prison in his lifetime - that's 26 percent more likely than a white male.

Police are on the front lines of a fight against our own citizens. If the police are on the front lines of a fight against black men, it is to be expected that black men will continue to be shot by police officers. Quelling the insurgency at home requires white society to invest trillions of dollars into giving black society the power to build itself, guard itself and support itself.

Dylan is a physics graduate student.

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.co...-2913261.shtml

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Perhaps this is a story only of interest to me as I am a Texan and an Austin, Resident. When I saw the post i felt it needed to be addressed and that is why I approved it.

The "Newspaper" used is the UT College paper, operated by the Students the Author of the Story is a UT student.

Some of the Refutations to the story are:

Breck Porter
posted 6/08/07 @ 9:11 AM EST
In the end Dylan Miracle somes to the same conclusion as most black activists, "We want money."
It's all about getting money from the government (us) to make themselves well, and whole, and complete and equal.
What about black people taking some intiative to make themselves well, whole, and complete. Start with men raising their children rather than abandoning them at birth. Start with being law abiding citizens. Start with marrying your kids mama's.
Don't ask me for money to cure your problems. I wasn't born with money either.
Matt
posted 6/08/07 @ 9:49 AM EST
This is the most pathetic attempt at race-baiting I've ever read. Every single one of your arguments are completely unfounded, unresearched, and intellectually dishonest. I guess to stop white cops from killing black people, the APD should only let black cops patrol black neighborhoods. White cops shouldn't be able to pull over black drivers. White cops shouldn't be able to chase a black suspect of a crime. The APD can do the same in Hispanic and Asian neighborhoods too. Total segregation, you know, because it worked sooo well back in the 50s and 60s.

It's drivel like this that only incites more racial intollerance and ignorance. The author makes no mention that the "racist" white cop he cites was working overtime in a dangerous neighborhood because of the high rate of crime, and the resulting number of resident complaints for the city to clean up the area. Also not mentioned is that the officer saw the man reaching for a weapon, and that a firearm was found near the man after the shooting.

Guess what? To plenty of poor whites, asians, and hispanics, the "affluence of white society may seem unattainable" just as much as it may for poor blacks. Do you want to give these groups special treatment too? The true problem in the black community is a learned sense of entitlement and helplessness. For forty-plus years, Jesse Jackson, Al Shartpton, and the like, have been telling black people that they can't reach true equality on their own merits.

"What is possible for me, is possible for you" - Frederick Douglass

Blacks (substitute any race) don't need special treatment, affirmative action, or government handouts to be successful, they just need to be taught that they are perfectly capable of succeeding on their own.
Tricia
posted 6/08/07 @ 10:14 AM EST
[QUOTE id="70c3df75-1198-45ab-985c-fb243b77772f"]This is the most pathetic attempt at race-baiting I've ever read.

WOW! Finally people who make a little bit of sense! Lets review, Sophia King, shot while holding a knife over an innocent 3rd party victin...jesse owens, driving a stolen vehicle that he traded for a 20$ crack rock, shot while trying to drag a cop with his car...daniel rocha, another law abiding drug dealer who got shot while fighting and running from the cops...finally our newest law abiding, upstanding citizen who is confronted by police who are told he has a gun, fights and runs from the cops...give me a break...try taking accountability for your actions instead of making everything a racial issue.
Source: http://www.dailytexanonline.com/home...c-0539494f144d

What does The Austin Police Chief have to say about the incident:

Media Credit: Joe Buglewicz
Acting Police Chief Cathy Ellison speaks to reporters during an interview at APD Headquarters Thursday afternoon. Ellison is one potential candidate to permanently fill the role as APD Police Chief.

Read the interview:

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.co...mostemailedtab

Austin has a diverse racial population:

Race
One race 636912 97.01%
White 429100 65.36%
Black or African American 65956 10.05%
American Indian and Alaska Native 3889 0.59%
Asian 30960 4.72%
Asian indian 7749 1.18%
Chinese 8093 1.23%
Filipino 1582 0.24%
Japanese 1164 0.18%
Korean 3441 0.52%
Vietnamese 5942 0.91%
Other Asian 2989 0.46%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 469 0.07%
Native Hawaiian 182 0.03%
Guamanian or Chamorro 95 0.01%
Samoan 69 0.01%
Other Pacific Islander 123 0.02%
Some other race 106538 16.23%
Two or more races 19650 2.99%
Source: http://austintx.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

The Black population is a minority. However the people are quite diverse. I have not seen any indication of Racial prejudice or Racial Tension.

vpb
06-09-2007, 01:51 PM
The school that I used to go, there were other two schools about half an hour far, and they were basically racist schools, where only whites would go, and I know there was a girl that her house was about 2 minutes of walking close to my school, and she used to travel everyday to another school, just bc my school had black people also.
Racism is banned by law, but it's still under the population.

Woodrow
06-09-2007, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
The school that I used to go, there were other two schools about half an hour far, and they were basically racist schools, where only whites would go, and I know there was a girl that her house was about 2 minutes of walking close to my school, and she used to travel everyday to another school, just bc my school had black people also.
Racism is banned by law, but it's still under the population.
That is very true in some parts of the US. However, I think in this case we have a situation of reverse discrimination. Dylan, the Author of the story is a student at UT and he is a graduate student, having already completed his Bachelor and now working on his masters, he seems to be personally satisfied with UT as he chooses to continue his education there

If you live in the South you will find that many of the racists have formed their own all-white private schools that are not publicly funded..To me that is a stupid thing to do and to send a child to a single race school deprives the child of learning cultural diversity. But, if they are paying the bill and not using public funds there is little that can be done about it.

Now getting back to the story if you read it carefully what Dylan really wants is for the US to divert money earmarked for rebuilding Iraq and use it for Black communities in the US.

Both major political philosophies are racist in their solution to crime, poverty and incarceration in the black communities. White America must return to the source of its racist society. They must take responsibility for slavery, Jim Crow and the Ku Klux Klan. Restitutions must be made.

As the U.S. pulls out of Iraq over the next decade, trillions of dollars will be spent on propping up the economy of the Iraqi people. No expense will be spared to make sure a powerful Iraqi economy exists and that the U.S. is its primary trading partner.

A strong economy will also ensure that there is no effective Iraqi insurgency. Black society in the U.S. needs exactly that kind of economic restitution. Instead, societal pressures suggest blacks must abandon their culture and become more like their white counterparts in order to participate in the economy.
The reason I say that he would be asking for money to be diverted, is because there is only so much money to go around. The taxpayers can only pay so much. To spend what Dylan is asking for would require that the budget for rebuilding Iraq be reduced and the money be used to rebuild black American communities.

As Americans I think we need to take responsibility for the damage we did to Iraq first. We should pay for damages first and than work on comfort in our home

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zman
06-09-2007, 03:40 PM
:sl:/Peaec To All

I'm not denying that racism doesn't still exist, but, America has definitely come a long way, for the better...

Woodrow
06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman
:sl:/Peaec To All

I'm not denying that racism doesn't still exist, but, America has definitely come a long way, for the better...
Ameen to that Brother. I grew up during the WW2 era. When I started school I had no concept of racism and although I am mixed race my features are predominantly Caucasian and most people see me as white. However my Mother had and sister both had very dominant Oriental features.

I brought a "Friend" home from school one day and when He saw my mother, I heard words I never knew existed. I lived in a hell after that, until we moved back to the farm.

AHMED_GUREY
06-09-2007, 05:35 PM
A friend of mine send me this info through email a while ago..

Census Bureau Facts for Features: African-American History Month: February 2007

To: National Desk

Contact: U.S. Census Bureau Public Information Office, 301-763-3030, or pio@census.gov

WASHINGTON, Dec. 5 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Following is from the U.S. Census Bureau:

To recall and celebrate the positive contributions made by people of African descent, American historian Carter G. Woodson established Black History Week. The first celebration occurred on Feb. 12, 1926. For many years, the second week of February was set aside for this celebration to coincide with the birthdays of African-American abolitionist/editor Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. In 1976, as part of the nation's bicentennial, the week was expanded into Black History Month.

-- Military

2.4 million - Number of black military veterans in the United States in 2005. More military veterans are black than any other minority group. (Source: 2005 American Community Survey. Data pertain to blacks of one race only.)

-- Education

80 percent - Among blacks age 25 and older, the proportion that had at least a high school diploma in 2005. In states such as Colorado, the proportion was even higher - 90 percent. (Source: 2005 American Community Survey)

17 percent - Percentage of blacks age 25 and older who had a bachelor's degree or more in 2005. In many states, the rate was higher. Twenty-six percent of blacks this age in Colorado, for instance, had this level of education. (Source: 2005 American Community Survey)

1.1 million - Among blacks age 25 and older, the number who had an advanced degree in 2005 (e.g., master's, Ph.D., M.D. or J.D.). Ten years earlier - in 1995 - only 677,000 blacks had this level of education.

See: http://www.census.gov/Press- Release/www/releases/archives/education/007660.html

2.3 million - Number of black college students in fall 2004. This was an increase of roughly 1 million from 15 years earlier.

See: http://www.census.gov/Press- Release/www/releases/archives/education/005787.html

-- Businesses

$88.6 billion -- Revenues for black-owned businesses in 2002, up 24 percent from 1997. The number of black-owned businesses totaled 1.2 million in 2002, up by 45 percent since 1997. Black- owned firms accounted for 5 percent of all nonfarm businesses in the United States.

129,329 - The number of black-owned firms in New York in 2002, which led all states. New York City alone had 98,080 such firms, which led all cities.

10,716 - The number of black-owned firms operating in 2002 with receipts of $1 million or more. These firms accounted for 1 percent of the total number of black-owned firms in 2002 and 55 percent of their total receipts, or $49 billion.

969 - The number of black-owned firms with 100 or more employees in 2002. Firms of this size accounted for 24 percent of the total revenue for black-owned firms in 2002, or $16 billion.

For more information on the data in this section, see http://www.census.gov/prod/ec02/sb0200csblk.pdf

-- Income, Poverty and Health

$30,858 - The annual median income of black households in 2005. In constant dollars, this is up from $25,642 in 1985.

See:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/...th/007419.html

$33,077 - The 2005 median earnings of black men 15 years old and over who worked full time, year-round. This compares to the median earnings of $29,672 for corresponding black women.

See:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/...th/007419.html

24.9 percent - Poverty rate in 2005 for those reporting black as their only race. This rate was down from 31.3 percent in 1985.

See:

http://www.census.gov/Press- Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/007419.html

19.6 percent - The percentage of blacks (who reported no other race) lacking health insurance in 2005. The rate was unchanged from 2004.

See:

http://www.census.gov/Press- Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/007419.html

-- Population Distribution

39.7 million - As of July 1, 2005, the estimated population of black residents in the United States, including those of more than one race. They made up 13.4 percent of the total U.S. population. This figure represents an increase of half a million residents from one year earlier.

See:

http://www.census.gov/Press- Release/www/releases/archives/population/006808.html

61.4 million - The projected single-race black population of the United States as of July 1, 2050. On that date, according to the projection, blacks would constitute 15 percent of the nation's total population.

See:

http://www.census.gov/Press- Release/www/releases/archives/population/001720.html

18 - Number of states with an estimated black population on July 1, 2005 of at least 1 million. New York, with 3.5 million blacks, led the way. The 17 other states on the list were: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

See:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/...on/007263.html

1.4 million - The number of blacks in Cook County, Ill., as of July 1, 2005. Cook led all the nation's counties in the number of people of this racial category. Los Angeles County, Calif., also topped the 1 million mark.

See:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/...on/007263.html

31 percent - The proportion of the black population under 18 as of July 1, 2005. At the other end of the spectrum, 8 percent of the black population was 65 or older.

See:

http://www.census.gov/popest/nationa...2005-asrh.html

-- Families and Children

44 percent -- Nationally, the percentage of black families containing a married-couple family. (Source: 2005 American Community Survey)

-- Homeownership

46 percent - Nationally, the percentage of black households who lived in owner-occupied homes. The rate was higher in certain states, such as Mississippi, where it reached 56 percent. (Source: 2005 American Community Survey)

-- Jobs

26 percent - The percentage of blacks age 16 and older who work in management, professional and related occupations. There are 44,000 black physicians and surgeons, 79,400 postsecondary teachers, 45,200 lawyers, and 49,300 chief executives. (Sources: 2005 American Community Survey and Upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2007, Table 602.)

Editor's note: The preceding data were collected from a variety of sources and may be subject to sampling variability and other sources of error. Questions or comments should be directed to the Census Bureau's Public Information Office: telephone: (301) 763-3030; fax: (301) 457-3670; or e-mail: pio@census.gov .

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
America pfff who cares

NoName55
06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
America pfff who cares
Bros. Woodrow, Estes and 5 million Plus other brothers and sisters in Islam, whose home is America?

wa salaam alaikum

Keltoi
06-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't believe those who support reparations for the black community really understand what they're supporting. Not only would this make the rest of the country even more racist, in my opinion, it would also "cleanse" the U.S. of any guilt for slavery. People like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be out of a job too. This reminds me a little of the Lakota tribe in South Dakota. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the U.S. broke an agreement with the Lakota when they took the Black Hills without payment. The U.S. was ordered to pay 600 million dollars. The Lakota refuse to accept it to this day. Money cannot be accepted as restitution in matters like this. Remember and move on. That is the only way. Living your life believing that the world owes you something only leads to apathy and laziness. Regardless of how justified reparations might be, it will not be the "cure" for the ailment that affects the black community.

Woodrow
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I don't believe those who support reparations for the black community really understand what they're supporting. Not only would this make the rest of the country even more racist, in my opinion, it would also "cleanse" the U.S. of any guilt for slavery. People like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be out of a job too. This reminds me a little of the Lakota tribe in South Dakota. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the U.S. broke an agreement with the Lakota when they took the Black Hills without payment. The U.S. was ordered to pay 600 million dollars. The Lakota refuse to accept it to this day. Money cannot be accepted as restitution in matters like this. Remember and move on. That is the only way. Living your life believing that the world owes you something only leads to apathy and laziness. Regardless of how justified reparations might be, it will not be the "cure" for the ailment that affects the black community.
Good point, there is also another problem nearly every African American in the US who was descended from slaves will have had ancestors that were slaves and ancestors that were slave owners, so what part of them selves pays what part reparations. also there was a sizable number of African American land owners in Louisiana that were slave owners. Also not all African Americans were descended from slaves, many that have ancestors in the 13 original colonies came from real immigrants and not slaves.

I like what you pointed out about the dangers reparation could cause for the African Americans today.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.