/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Church attacks Sony over video game

glo
06-09-2007, 01:02 PM
The Church of England has threatened legal action against Sony after it used a cathedral without permission as the backdrop to an ultra-violent computer game.
[...]
The new Play-Station3 game, titled Resistance: Fall of Man, which has sold more than one million copies, sees a virtual shoot-out between rival gunman with hundreds killed during a gun battle inside the cathedral in an orgy of blood.
[...]
The firm is also branded irresponsible for choosing Manchester - a city plagued by gun violence which has left tens of youngsters dead.

The Bishop of Manchester, the Rt Rev Nigel McCulloch, said; "It is well known that Manchester has a gun crime problem.

"For a global manufacturer to re-create one of our great Cathedrals with photo-realistic quality and then encourage people to have guns battles in the building is beyond belief and highly irresponsible.

"Here in Manchester we do all we can to support communities through our parish clergy, we know the reality of gun crime and the devastating effects it can have on the lives - it is not a trivial matter."
Full article here

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
06-09-2007, 08:20 PM
The usual fuss over nothing, IMHO. As I understand it the game is a shoot-em-up in a fantasy setting (WW2 never happened, man is fighting aliens in the 1950s etc, etc) rather than gangland street violence. I don't think it will encourage gun crime any more than dozens of similar games - and church 'maps' are not unheard of in such games either, although perhaps not recognisable as a particular one as seems to be the case here.

Of course, that does not change the fact that Sony should have asked for permission, which they seemingly did not do. I wouldn't shed any tears if the C&E sued them and paid a large chunk of the profits from those milion sales to charity; or perhaps church restoration funds.

- Qatada -
06-09-2007, 08:20 PM
That's kinda sad.. that would be like saying it's alright to fight or start a war zone within a place of worship. They should have known better, and the church probably did the right thing. It'll make them think twice before doing something similar again in the future lol.

Peace.

AHMED_GUREY
06-09-2007, 08:46 PM
:sl:
How did they find out about it?

Ok..ay which church member was/is a game-junkie and confessed?:D
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zman
06-10-2007, 12:51 AM
:sl:/Peace To All

Subliminal messages man. You keep getting bombarded with things like that, and down the road, some people may actually one day have a gun fight inside a Church.

That's how marketers lure people into buying their products.

The Pentagon set up an online war game, and they have over a million kids logging on to play it.

Most of the training in our military nowadays, is via simulators, which are glorified video games.

You got kids actually carrying out some stunts they see on cartoons, and getting hurt. People, and especially kids, are very impressionable.

I don't like seeing holy places relegated to these scenes, in games or movies...

ranma1/2
06-10-2007, 02:31 PM
i agree video games lead to violence.
I have been to prison way to many times.

the first time was for going into someones house, i broke every vase I found and I never foundany gems insde.

The second time i got in trouble for running around with a hammer in a zoo and attacking Gorrilas.

The 3rd time I was arrested for running around a super market and swallowing whole grapefruits and chaseing ghosts that i would eat.

The 4th time I got in trouble at the Zoo again for repeatedly Jumping on the turtles. I never found any winged or red ones.

The 5th time i got arrested for vandalizing my neighbors yard this time. I ended up digging up their grounds and cutting all their plants. I still never found any gems or hearts.

Muezzin
06-10-2007, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
i agree video games lead to violence.
I have been to prison way to many times.

the first time was for going into someones house, i broke every vase I found and I never foundany gems insde.

The second time i got in trouble for running around with a hammer in a zoo and attacking Gorrilas.

The 3rd time I was arrested for running around a super market and swallowing whole grapefruits and chaseing ghosts that i would eat.

The 4th time I got in trouble at the Zoo again for repeatedly Jumping on the turtles. I never found any winged or red ones.

The 5th time i got arrested for vandalizing my neighbors yard this time. I ended up digging up their grounds and cutting all their plants. I still never found any gems or hearts.
Donkey Kong, Mario and Zelda, eh? I wonder what grievous offences a game of Pong could lead to? :p

But seriously, I do think it is disrespectful to depict violent scenes in places of worship in works of fiction, unless said work is an expose of sorts (child abuse in the Jedi Temple!).

islamirama
06-10-2007, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman
:sl:/Peace To All

Subliminal messages man. You keep getting bombarded with things like that, and down the road, some people may actually one day have a gun fight inside a Church.

That's how marketers lure people into buying their products.

The Pentagon set up an online war game, and they have over a million kids logging on to play it.

Most of the training in our military nowadays, is via simulators, which are glorified video games.

You got kids actually carrying out some stunts they see on cartoons, and getting hurt. People, and especially kids, are very impressionable.

I don't like seeing holy places relegated to these scenes, in games or movies...
:w:

you mean like this one?

'Convert or die' game divides Christians

"Players can choose to join the Antichrist's team, but of course they can never win on Carpathia's side. The enemy team includes fictional rock stars and folks with Muslim-sounding names, while the righteous include gospel singers, missionaries, healers and medics. Every character comes with a life story."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG8TMU1KQ1.DTL

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Pffff the church just wants its name in the news again...

Keltoi
06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
So if some game was made that depicted mindless killing in a famous mosque or even Mecca there wouldn't be any offended Muslims? That doesn't mean I think games like that should be banned or anything, but people have a powerful weapon, which is their pocketbook. If people want to boycott a company or bring them bad publicity in order to change things, they can give it a try.

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Probably but most of us know the difference between reality and fiction so i don't think it would be much of an issue.

I think i'll purchase this game now :)

Keltoi
06-11-2007, 01:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000
Probably but most of us know the difference between reality and fiction so i don't think it would be much of an issue.

I think i'll purchase this game now :)
Were you offended by the cartoons of Muhammed in Denmark? Or could you see the difference between reality and fiction?

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Were you offended by the cartoons of Muhammed in Denmark? Or could you see the difference between reality and fiction?
Nope i wasn't, i saw the difference between reality and fiction!

Allah :arabic4: will have the final say on those that portrayed the final prophet and messenger :arabic5: this way.

Can you see the difference between a video game and reality?

Keltoi
06-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Allah :arabic4: will have the final say on those that portrayed the final prophet and messenger :arabic5: this way.

Obviously, but imagery has power. Games are far more than two white blocks bumping a white dot around these days. They are more like movies. I'm not saying I'm offended, I don't really care. However, I can understand why some folks might be offended by the imagery.

islamirama
06-11-2007, 02:44 PM

you say you weren't offend by the denmark cartoons?

you should be if you have love for the prophet and Islam. Unless you wouldn't be offend if it was your mom or dad?

Prophet (saws) said you're not a true believer till I'm dear to you than your parents and your children.

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Islamirama i was not offended by these cartoons for the reason i have stated above. I love the prophet as i love my parents. Don't get my wrong i was a little miffed; i was in KSA at the time and i like the Saudi's boycotted danish goods but i firmly believe Allah will sort these people out.

I know the difference between reality and fiction :)

P.s Islamirama don't tell me what i should and should not do thank you very much.

iwuvaziaf
06-11-2007, 03:03 PM
P.s Islamirama don't tell me what i should and should not do thank you very much.
bruv.. take a chill pill.. and it was offending! but yeah u're right they wanted a reaction from muslims so we can ignore real issues in the world and turn our heads towards their petty actions of ignorance..

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
You're entitled to your opinion as am i. You are free to react the way you want as am i but i won't have people telling me how to feel thank you very much.

islamirama
06-11-2007, 03:20 PM
You're entitled to your opinion as am i. You are free to react the way you want as am i but i won't have people telling me how to feel thank you very much.
have your own opinions, react as you see also, that is your chioce but i will tell as i will tell others that you should care and should feel anger at such attacks on the Prophet (saws) and Islam. And go read on Islamqa.com about what the sahabas did and what the Prophet (saws) and Islam allowed as defense for such attacks.

Reality is the Prophet (saws) was insulted and attacked, His wives were insulted as well with those pictures as well as Islam. Now either have feelings for or say your don't care, and don't you worry about Allah. He will deal with them as He sees fit.

Muezzin
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
The Danish cartoons were clearly disrespectful.

Staging violent scenes in places of worship in works of fiction for no apparent reason, as is the case in the videogame in question, is also disrespectful from my point of view.

HBot 5000
06-11-2007, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
have your own opinions, react as you see also, that is your chioce but i will tell as i will tell others that you should care and should feel anger at such attacks on the Prophet (saws) and Islam. And go read on Islamqa.com about what the sahabas did and what the Prophet (saws) and Islam allowed as defense for such attacks.

Reality is the Prophet (saws) was insulted and attacked, His wives were insulted as well with those pictures as well as Islam. Now either have feelings for or say your don't care, and don't you worry about Allah. He will deal with them as He sees fit.
Change the record yankie this thread has got off topic already :offtopic:

nocturne
06-14-2007, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
why are you wrongly cross-referencing?

The game did not involve jesus(p.b.u.h.) or any other saints who are of importance to Christians.If they had done so,i am sure Muslims along with Christians would have been against the game

Secondly,its just some random church, i dont think i would bother if some random mosque is portrayed in some unrealistic game.

Learn to draw the line between reality and fantasy.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-14-2007, 12:51 PM
ye i dnt like seeing religious sites defiled... it dont seem right.

islamirama
06-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Change the record yankie this thread has got off topic already :offtopic:

I would mind but since i'm not yankie and just live among them, i guess i have nothing to be upset about. Do you consider yourself chav or whatever them brits call each other in a derogatory way?

Keltoi
06-14-2007, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne
why are you wrongly cross-referencing?

The game did not involve jesus(p.b.u.h.) or any other saints who are of importance to Christians.If they had done so,i am sure Muslims along with Christians would have been against the game

Secondly,its just some random church, i dont think i would bother if some random mosque is portrayed in some unrealistic game.

Learn to draw the line between reality and fantasy.
As I stated earlier, it doesn't bother me personally. I stated that I can see how some people might be offended. I think the problem with this goes beyond simply this video game. Christians feel that their faith is being constantly insulted these days, from the "chocolate Jesus" to the many other insulting works of "art" that have appeared lately.

HBot 5000
06-15-2007, 07:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
I would mind but since i'm not yankie and just live among them, i guess i have nothing to be upset about. Do you consider yourself chav or whatever them brits call each other in a derogatory way?
Chav, is a southern term and no i'm not (don't use the term if you don't know what it means!). If you want to get derogatory islamirama i would love to but as your a muslim, bro i think this would be inappropriate.

Yankie is as far as i would go. :X

Strzelecki
06-15-2007, 08:07 AM
It's a game, so what....
I agree with Hbot. If you don't like something, no one is forcing you to play it or view it...
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
The Church of England has threatened legal action against Sony after it used a cathedral without permission as the backdrop to an ultra-violent computer game.
Was the Cathedral based on an actual Cathedral and you can clearly notice it?
If it is I can see a problem. If it's just a generic Cathedral, based on nothing, and remeniscent of nothing, then this is all a bit over the top.

Bittersteel
06-15-2007, 09:54 AM
so what?it will still cause offence,naturally.

glo
06-15-2007, 09:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
It's a game, so what....
I agree with Hbot. If you don't like something, no one is forcing you to play it or view it...

Was the Cathedral based on an actual Cathedral and you can clearly notice it?
If it is I can see a problem. If it's just a generic Cathedral, based on nothing, and remeniscent of nothing, then this is all a bit over the top.
From what I gather from the story, the game clearly uses Manchester Cathedral - both in terms of lay-out and decor.

But I have neither been to Manchester, nor have a seen or played the game ... so I don't really know myself.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-15-2007, 10:05 AM
i actually feel ashamed to have played this game now...

i dont think its islamic to offend another religion...

Strzelecki
06-15-2007, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
From what I gather from the story, the game clearly uses Manchester Cathedral - both in terms of lay-out and decor.

But I have neither been to Manchester, nor have a seen or played the game ... so I don't really know myself.
Ohh. Okay! :)
Well, that's kind of another story...

cihad
06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
It is bad and disrespectful, period.

August
06-23-2007, 05:11 AM
If it's done to be disrespectfull, like "Level 2, destroy the Vatican!" Then it clearly is inappropriate. However, in this situation, using the Cathedral would seem to be more of a way of showing that things are so bad (in the game world) that even a place of worship has become violent. How about historical situations? I remember the game Call of Duty 2 that had several churches, and a mosque, in the levels. Is that ok just because those battles actually took place? It's still a depiction of violence in a place of worship. In fact, you could consider that more violent since your enemies are humans instead of aliens. But I gotta go with the "vote with your wallet" argument. If it offends you, don't buy the game. Which is why I'll be avoiding the Left Behind game, for example.

Keltoi
06-23-2007, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
If it's done to be disrespectfull, like "Level 2, destroy the Vatican!" Then it clearly is inappropriate. However, in this situation, using the Cathedral would seem to be more of a way of showing that things are so bad (in the game world) that even a place of worship has become violent. How about historical situations? I remember the game Call of Duty 2 that had several churches, and a mosque, in the levels. Is that ok just because those battles actually took place? It's still a depiction of violence in a place of worship. In fact, you could consider that more violent since your enemies are humans instead of aliens. But I gotta go with the "vote with your wallet" argument. If it offends you, don't buy the game. Which is why I'll be avoiding the Left Behind game, for example.
Good advice, don't like it don't buy it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.