/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My Grandma Wants Nothing To Do With Me Now That I'm A Muslim

Holly3278
06-09-2007, 05:59 PM
My Grandma wants nothing to do with me now that I am a Muslim. I hope that her anger is only short lived. What can I do about this besides pray to Allah?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummAbdillah
06-09-2007, 06:44 PM
:sl:
Firstly, Alhamdulilah you're a muslim :).
Have sabr (patience) inshallah. Be gentile and kind with her beause she has rights over you, be a loving grand daughter. Make duaa to Allah beacuse only Allah can guide. Hope that helps. :)
:w:

glo
06-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Try to understand what worries and concerns she might have about your conversion to Islam. Chances are, this is quite scary for her!

Keep reaching out to her in everyway you can. Try to keep communicating ...

I wish you peace.
May God bless you. :)

vpb
06-09-2007, 07:29 PM
My Grandma wants nothing to do with me now that I am a Muslim. I hope that her anger is only short lived. What can I do about this besides pray to Allah?

just be patient, and be nice to her, even if she says something bad to you, just keep being nice. Cuz she is old probably, and it's difficult for her to accept changes that you made, so just be patient and it will be fine inshaAllah.

use your dua tool.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Medina83
06-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Be patient sister
and trust in your Lord , He will not let you down if you trust Him completely with this!! So make dua , be kind and patient, let her say angry things but respond with love, and Allah swt will change her when He wills!!

It worked on my mother (she was very angry but now just disappointed) ...today she told me I can visit after long time ELHAMDULILLAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ummAbdillah
06-09-2007, 07:45 PM
It worked on my mother (she was very angry but now just disappointed) ...today she told me I can visit after long time ELHAMDULILLAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alhamdulilah, that's great news :) May allah guide her, Ameen
:w: :)

S.A.
06-09-2007, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Medina83
Be patient sister
and trust in your Lord , He will not let you down if you trust Him completely with this!! So make dua , be kind and patient, let her say angry things but respond with love, and Allah swt will change her when He wills!!

Happy for u Medina :) . Good news. May Allah bless all of us.

vpb
06-09-2007, 07:48 PM
On the authority of Saa'd (Ibn Abi Waqas May Allah be pleased with him) who said that verses of the Qur'an revealed his story.

He said Um Saa'd (his mother) swore not to talk to him ever nor eat or drink until he renounces Islam. She said: You claim that Allah commanded you to obey your parents. I am your mother and I order you to do this ( to renounce Islam). He said: She stayed with nothing to eat or drink for three days until she fainted because of strain. Then one of her other sons named Umarah gave her water to drink. And she started to imprecate against Saa'd, then Allah revealed this verse in the Qur'an, which translates to the meaning of

{And We have enjoined on man to be good and dutiful to his parents; but if they strive to make you join with Me (in worship) anything (as a partner) of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not. Unto Me is your return and I shall tell you what you used to do}
Verse 29:8 - Surah 29, Al Ankabut.

This Hadith is narrated by Imam Ahmad in his Musnad and in Sahih Muslim in his Sahih under # 1748

HBot 5000
06-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Time will cure it, just be patient.

S£mmi
06-09-2007, 09:17 PM
yes make dua.

ScoobyGurl
06-09-2007, 09:30 PM
IA with the others. Have sabr and make much du'a. I'm sure the change is quite a bit for her to take. The media doesn't go out of their way to make Islam seem like a good path plus I imagine she's older. So I would suggest showing how Islam has made you a better person and making du'a. Insha'Allah, she will come around. Most of the time, family members do once they gain understanding.

Grace Seeker
06-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Be yourself with her. Do not make you being a Muslim what your relationship is all about with your grandmother. Focus on all the other aspects of your relationship with her that were true before you became a Muslim. If you like to listen to her tell stories, ask her to share more of them. If you used to bake cookies together, continue to do so.

I see that you are from the USA. Your grandmother has probably only one view of Muslims right now, and it isn't likely to be very good. If you change to become something different than what she knew you to be like before, you will confirm some of her worst fears. But if she finds you to be the same grandchild that she had before, and that becoming a Muslim has done little to change who you are in your personal relationship with her (I am not talking about not living as a Muslim in terms of what is halaal or haraam, just your interpersonal relationship with your grandmother), then she is going to see that it isn't such a big deal.

If she is from a Christian fundamentalist background, this may take some time. But grandparents are generally very accepting of their grandchildren. So, give her that time, and remain who you have always been with her. Don't make a big deal about it with her, and it won't be as big of a deal for her.

sem
06-16-2007, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Holly3278
:sl: many congrats sister,welcome to islam,dont worry to much,my sister in law converted to islam to,her parents are catholics,she doesnt wear hear scarf in front of her parents,but a can understand its just a matter of being patient and still being your normal self,try having the same relationship as u used to do,and then gradually get them to know what its about,hope thathelps sister,:w:

Grace Seeker
07-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Holly, a few weeks have passed. How are you finding things now? Any change in your Grandma, or in you for that matter?

north_malaysian
07-05-2007, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Holly3278
You go to her everyday and give something to her like cakes, fruits, souvenirs etc.... if she ask you why you're doing it.... just say.... I just dont want you to be angry as my religion commanded me to be good to you....:D

nebula
07-05-2007, 04:35 PM
first of all congrats sis on becomin a muslim

yeah just be nice to ur grandma like every1 else has said and be patience.
Maybe she might become a muslim by seeing ur gentle attitude towards her even tho she doesnt want anything to do with you. i hope it gets better inshallah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.