/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Google ranked 'worst' on privacy

islamirama
06-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Google ranked 'worst' on privacy

Google has the worst privacy policy of popular net firms, says a report.

Rights group Privacy International rated the search giant as "hostile" to privacy in a report ranking web firms by how they handle personal data.
The group said Google was leading a "race to the bottom" among net firms many of whom had policies that did little to substantially protect users.
In response Google said the report was mistaken and that it worked hard to keep user data confidential.

Hostile approach

The report by the veteran cyber rights group is the result of six months' research which scrutinised 20 popular net firms to find out how they handle the personal information users gave up when they started using such services.

None of the firms featured in the report got a "privacy friendly" rating.
Yahoo and AOL were said to have "substantial threats" to privacy as were Facebook and Hi5 for the allegedly poor way they dealt with user data.

Microsoft, one place higher in the rankings than these four firms, was described as having "serious lapses" in its privacy policy.

Other net sites, such as BBC.com, eBay and Last.fm were described in the report as "generally privacy aware but in need of improvement".
But Privacy International singled put Google at the bottom of its rankings for what the group called its "numerous deficiencies and hostilities" to privacy.

"We are aware that the decision to place Google at the bottom of the ranking is likely to be controversial," the group said in the report.
Privacy International placed Google at the bottom of its ranking because of the sheer amount of data it gathers about users and their activities; because its privacy policies are incomplete and for its poor record of responding to complaints.

"While a number of companies share some of these negative elements, none comes close to achieving status as an endemic threat to privacy," read the report.

Responding to the report Nicole Wong, general counsel for Google, said in a statement: "We are disappointed with Privacy International's report which is based on numerous inaccuracies and misunderstandings about our services."

Ms Wong added: "We recognise that user trust is central to our business and Google aggressively protects our users' privacy."

Privacy International said it planned to release a more detailed report in September produced after detailed consultation with the firms covered in the first draft.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6740075.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
06-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Go to google and type in your user name, see what you get!

------
06-12-2007, 05:37 PM
:salamext:

:lol: at least u'll find what u need in that sense! :D

NobleMuslimUK
06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Yeh lol its true. Why do u think google dominates search engines because it has majority of what you want to search for. Also a lot of websites profit from google banners and adverts, maybe that has something to do with it too.

Google is like an open book, doesnt leave much hidden.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
06-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Who would you rather be ruled by? - LI Islamic Forum
Al Habeshi has a reputation beyond repute Al Habeshi has a reputation beyond repute Al Habeshi has a reputation beyond repute Al Habeshi has a reputation ...
http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...her-ruled.html - 77k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.islamicboard.com ]

LI Islamic Forum - www.islamicboard.com
Al Habeshi. 20. 164. Old Darbul Ukhuwah (nasheed) . ... ABout Lectures and debates... by Al Habeshi. 12 Minutes Ago Go to last post ...
www.islamicboard.com/ - 66k - 10 Jun 2007 - Cached - Similar pages

LOOK:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?cl...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

It shows first pic is Ansar's avtar :)

Mawaddah
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I remember one time I had that Google Desktop thingy.

So anyway I decided to type in my email address in the search bar.

Will you beleive it, I started to find all of my emails online!! :eek: I was shocked out of my wits, all of my emails right there coming out, page after page.

I just about passed out.

mohammed farah
06-12-2007, 10:02 PM
when i typed in mohammed farah in google, this is what i found

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Farah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Farrah_Aidid

Umar001
06-12-2007, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
I remember one time I had that Google Desktop thingy.

So anyway I decided to type in my email address in the search bar.

Will you beleive it, I started to find all of my emails online!! :eek: I was shocked out of my wits, all of my emails right there coming out, page after page.

I just about passed out.
You mean everyone could read your emails?

Or was it because you have your pasword already saved so it would know its you?

Hashim_507
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Google are becoming spies for the government.

Mawaddah
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
You mean everyone could read your emails?

Or was it because you have your pasword already saved so it would know its you?
I never save any of my passwords to my emails so it wasn't that.

That's what I was trying to figure out, could everyone read it?

Lina
06-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Good idea for employers, just one look at your 'google record' and they won't need all those expensive personality tests.

Muezzin
06-13-2007, 10:05 AM
I just got a bunch of Wiki articles... I'm not famous :(

3isha
06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
wow, i found my name in this language thing i am registered in nand it;s giving the link to my profile:rollseyes

mohammed farah
06-13-2007, 10:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I am :D

Malaikah
06-13-2007, 10:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
LOOK:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?cl...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

It shows first pic is Ansar's avtar :)
:sl:

That has my display pic!! :uuh:

beespreeteam
06-13-2007, 10:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lina
Good idea for employers, just one look at your 'google record' and they won't need all those expensive personality tests.
It's true - I study and work in HR.

Heaps of managers now do 'net checks' where they google you etc and look for whatever they find from blogs to ebay purchases etc etc.

Quite scary but kinda cool :E

People are being advised not to do stupid stuff and post it on the web these days.

Malaikah
06-13-2007, 10:54 AM

Good thing my name doesn't bring up anything interesting! alhamdulilah

islamirama
06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I try my name "islamirama" i'm all over on the first 3 pages, nobody but me alone in every single line. Hmm not sure if thats good or bad :D

Umar001
06-13-2007, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

That has my display pic!! :uuh:

Wa Aleykum Salam,

Yes, you and Far7an and seeker of ilm are there too.

Yours says:

Extremophile :?

format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
I never save any of my passwords to my emails so it wasn't that.

That's what I was trying to figure out, could everyone read it?
Why didnt you jus ask a sis to check it lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.