/* */

PDA

View Full Version : If you're a gardener which do you prefer?

evangel
06-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Would you rather grow flowers or produce (fruits and vegetables)?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khayal
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Flowers!!!

- Qatada -
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
:salamext:

Produce, it's all exciting to eat because you worked for it! :)

It's also a great sign from Allaah:

And We have sent down blessed rain from the sky and made grow thereby gardens and grain from the harvest

And lofty palm trees having fruit arranged in layers -

A provision for (Allah's) slaves. And We give life therewith to a dead land. Thus will be the resurrection (of the dead).

[Qur'an 50: 9-11]

So that's a huge sign from Allaah/God that if He can give life to the dead land, He can also without a doubt raise the dead back to life in a similar fashion. And He will do so on the Day of Judgement without a doubt! :)

Peace!

yigiter187
06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
both of them............

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
06-11-2007, 07:26 PM
having been an old farmer I learned the value of doing both at the same time. for the best insect pollination and reduction of insect damage without using poisons i found it best to plant the veggies in square plots leaving ample space between the veggies one variety in each plot border each plot with either marigolds or herbs and spices the best being dill, rosemary, chives, garlic. Than in the spaces between the veggie plots plant flowers that do not bloom at the same time a good combination is tulips, gladiolas, narcissus and crocus. Of course you want to pant a rose bush at each corner of your garden.

It can even be done in a small city back yard on a reduced scale.

evangel
06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the advice Woodrow. I prefer vegetables just due to the fact that I love veggies. Don't get me wrong, I love meat. I belong to PETA.
People Eating Tasty Animals

glo
06-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Produce - any time!!
I love to watch our fruit and veg grow in the garden ... and I love eating them even more!

Some plants, for example courgettes, have beautiful flowers, as well as being edible ... :)

Keltoi
06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I prefer produce. Like Woodrow I'm a farmboy. On our farm we planted peanuts and watermelons mainly, with our garden having tomatoes, corn, potatoes, etc. Flowers just aren't as exciting as watching produce grow and mature into something edible.

vpb
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
well you can also grow the flowers and eat them :p ;D;D;D

Woodrow
06-12-2007, 08:17 PM
:sl:

If you can't decide there is another choice:

Check it out. I'm not endorsing any particular plant nursery and just putting this up to see what can be done, even in the city on a back yard patio.

http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/

Mawaddah
06-12-2007, 08:22 PM

From since I was small all I remember my father growing is Vegetables and Fruits. And of course Goat feed :D

I love both actually but I would prefer to have a herb garden, not only are most of them beautiful, but really useful and I can use them for my salves and ointments etc.

Anyone ever tried growing grapes in the garden? I think they are beautiful :)

Umar001
06-13-2007, 02:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I prefer produce. Like Woodrow I'm a farmboy. On our farm we planted peanuts and watermelons mainly, with our garden having tomatoes, corn, potatoes, etc. Flowers just aren't as exciting as watching produce grow and mature into something edible.
Oh my, I never thought about where peanuts come from. :-[ Wow you grow them in the ground? Yea am being serious

north_malaysian
06-13-2007, 03:21 AM
Produce - why? Because the fruits and veggies are becoming more expensive these days.

Woodrow
06-13-2007, 05:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Oh my, I never thought about where peanuts come from. :-[ Wow you grow them in the ground? Yea am being serious
Peanuts are fantastic to grow. I've planted them a few times but just in small plots for myself.

They grow like a pea or bean plant the pods look like pea pods and are soft. As the pos mature they turn and grwow downward and bury themselves in the growund. Later when they are ready, and the pods have turned hard and brown you dig them up like potatoes.

evangel
06-16-2007, 02:15 AM
I was thinking the other day that I get so busy sometimes that I usually don't start thinking about planting until the weather is nice. Here in Colorado the growing season can be pretty short. I realized then that I really take for granted the accessability of things like grocery stores. If I depended on what I grew to sustain me and mine I bet I'd be a bit more concientious about starting plants indoors.

BlissfullyJaded
06-16-2007, 02:24 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
I love both actually but I would prefer to have a herb garden, not only are most of them beautiful, but really useful and I can use them for my salves and ointments etc.
I was gonna say the same exact thing! Lavender and sage are soo pretty. They smell nice too.

Anyone ever tried growing grapes in the garden? I think they are beautiful :)
Yeah, we have a grape vine. Haven't had any grapes I think, but yeps, they are beautiful mashaAllah.

Khayal
06-16-2007, 02:30 AM

Flowers!!

&

I will buy veggies.

*noor
06-16-2007, 02:39 AM

This is a tough decision but I think I'd have to have both! :D

MustafaMc
06-16-2007, 03:03 AM
I love to grow vegetables. Allah has blessed me with the opportunity to have a nice vegetable garden. I have planted several different varieties of snap beans, lima beans, cowpeas, okra, tomatoes, peppers, squash and sweet corn. It is nice to see the differences between them. We have been canning and freezing the harvested vegetables to have home grown food throughout the year.

evangel
06-16-2007, 03:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I love to grow vegetables. Allah has blessed me with the opportunity to have a nice vegetable garden. I have planted several different varieties of snap beans, lima beans, cowpeas, okra, tomatoes, peppers, squash and sweet corn. It is nice to see the differences between them. We have been canning and freezing the harvested vegetables to have home grown food throughout the year.
I love okra. I haven't had fried okra in years.

MustafaMc
06-16-2007, 03:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by evangel
I love okra. I haven't had fried okra in years.
Yes, this vegetable is a southern tradition. I have Hill Country Red, Louisiana Short, Clemson Spineless growing now.

evangel
06-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Yes, this vegetable is a southern tradition. I have Hill Country Red, Louisiana Short, Clemson Spineless growing now.
Now you got me hungry!:D

smile
06-16-2007, 09:11 PM
flowers!!

MustafaMc
06-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Is there a gender pattern here?

evangel
06-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Is there a gender pattern here?
Well the old saying is, "The way to a man's heart is thru his stomach!"

Woodrow
06-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Now I'm thinking in terms of edible flowers. I just remember I love nasturtiums in salads.

Here are some others. as mentioned here use caution with apple blossoms.

T
he next time you are cooking for your family or friends, impress them with edible flowers, a touch of the exotic gleaned from your own backyard!

For a photo of the edible flower and additional information, click on the underlined names.

Alliums (leeks, chives, garlic, garlic chives) - Known as the "Flowering Onions." There are approximately four hundred species that includes the familiar onion, garlic, chives, ramps, and shallots. All members of this genus are edible. Their flavors range from mild onions and leeks right through to strong onion and garlic. All parts of the plants are edible. The flowers tend to have a stronger flavor than the leaves and the young developing seed-heads are even stronger. We eat the leaves and flowers mainly in salads. The leaves can also be cooked as a flavoring with other vegetables in soups, etc.

Chive Blossoms - Use whenever a light onion flavor and aroma is desired. Separate the florets and enjoy the mild, onion flavor in a variety of dishes.

Garlic Blossoms - The flowers can be white or pink, and the stems are flat instead of round. The flavor has a garlicky zing that brings out the flavor of your favorite food. Milder than the garlic bulb. Wonderful in salads.

Angelica - Depending on the variety, flower range from pale lavender-blue to deep rose. It has a flavor similar to licorice. Angelica is valued culinary from the seeds and stems, which are candied and used in liqueurs, to the young leaves and shoots, which can be added to a green salad. Because of its celery-like flavor, Angelica has a natural affinity with fish. The root lends an interesting juniper-like flavor to breads. Often the leaves are minced and used as a part of a court boullion to season poaching liquid. The leaves have a stronger, clean taste and make a interesting addition to salads. In its native northern Europe, even the mature leaves are used, particularly by the Laplanders, as a natural fish preservative. Many people in the cold Northern regions such as Greenland, Siberia, and Finland consider Angelica a vegetable, and eat the stems raw, sometimes spread with butter. Young leaves can be made into a tea.

Anise Hyssop - Both flowers and leaves have a delicate anise or licorice flavor. Some people say the flavor reminds them of root beer. The blossoms make attractive plate garnishes and are often used in Chinese-style dishes

Apple Blossoms - Apple Blossoms have a delicate floral flavor and aroma. They are a nice accompaniment to fruit dishes and can easily be candied to use as a garnish. Eat in moderation; may contain cyanide precursors.

Here is a huge listing of edible flowers:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Edibl...lowersMain.htm

glo
06-17-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm a functional person in general terms:

I prefer growing food for feeding my family to growing flowers for decoration ...
I prefer making clothes to making wall-hangings ...
I prefer walking somewhere with a purpose to spending time walking on the treadmill ...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.