AnonymousPoster
06-11-2007, 11:36 PM
:sl:

Does anyone know whether or not anorexia and bulimia are haram? JAK

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
skhalid
06-12-2007, 08:58 AM
It can't be haram because it might not always be something you can control, although I think it isn't very nice to do it on purpose...I think it's something in which effects you mentally and emotionally therefore it cannot be categorised to be haram.

muzna
06-12-2007, 09:02 AM
anorexia and bulimia are illnesses..and require treatment..

skhalid
06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm nt anorexic no bt I suffer from bulimia....but its not too bad and I'm tryin my best to get better...after all it is an illness!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strider
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Is self-harming haram? People aren't born with eating disorders; they develop due to a number of factors. Yes, both are illnesses that require treatment. However, people differ as to what the causes of eating disorders and i guess that is rather vital when considering whether eating disorders are haram or not.

iwuvaziaf
06-12-2007, 10:56 AM
seek help from Allah if it is social pressure (all these 0 size super models dont help)... but then y would u want to look like them? they look sick, am sorry.. ... is it because u were dieting? if u make urself vomit then you are causing your body to do it.. which isnt allowed if am not wrong.. maybe sum1 can correct me.. i mean, we arent allowed to harm our bodies in any way..

I was anaemic once when at school.. was obsessed with weight but i wasnt even fat.. anyway i decided to just stop eating.. friends thought i'll have lunch when i get home.. parents thought i had lunch at school.. in the morning i would deliberately wake up late so i would be rushing to school.. it took me years to get over it.. infact i still take iron tablets but alhumdullilah... am becoming a superwoman...

my friend just pukes everything she eats.. they thought it was her appendix.. even though they operated, she's still puking out food.. anyway i think hers is to do with stress as her mum passed away couple of weeks ago (Ya Allah give her place in the highest Jannah! Ameen)...

It depends on what caused bulimia... r u gettting any better? wot r the docs saying? i'll pray for u.. InshaAllahh!!!

Recite ayahs for stress and depression.. can sum1 find us the link.. am still such a freshy to this forum.. cant find threads by just searching..

Wsalamaleykum

Star
06-12-2007, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=strider;763945]Is self-harming haram?

Yes, self-harm is haram, a Muslim is not allowed to deliberately to harm themselves, self-harm is not classed as a mental illness, therefore there is no excuse for doing it.

vpb
06-12-2007, 06:15 PM
I thought you get anorexia nervoza by not eating food, and trying to through out everything, like some girls do in order to become skinnier.

so why wouldn't this be considered as self-harming???

hmmm..

ScoobyGurl
06-12-2007, 06:47 PM
There's a number of medical conditions one has to reach before being labeled anorexic. It's not simply of a matter of not eating. For instance, you have maintain less than 85% of the normal body weight for your age group. Another condition of anorexic is an extreme disturbance in how one's body id viewed. You may weigh 85 lbs but think you're as big as a person who weighs 300 lbs. A person who thinks like this is obviously ill.

I don't think we should look at eating disorders are 'halal' or 'haram'. They're psychological disorders like depression, schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. In fact, many people who have eating disorders also have have some other mental illness.

Yes, people who are anorexic or bulimic are harming themselves but it is because they want to? Can they be held accountable? Can a depressed, bipolar or schizophrenic person be held accountable if they commit suicide?

The Prophet (saws) said: "The Pen that records the deeds has been lifted from three people; the insane person, until he recovers; the sleeping person, until he wakes up; and the minor, until he dreams (i.e., has wet dreams.)" (Ahmed)

So can a person who has an eating disorder be held accountable for what they do? Are their actions really haram?

Abdul Fattah
06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Well things aren't that black and white. I wouldn't go as far as saying that a person with this disorder is sinfull. They are usually people who went trough a lot of rough things and are in desperate need of help. So it wouldn't be right to "kick them when they are down". But there is something Islamicly wrong with these disorders in the sense that ill-treatment of your own body is not permissible. Look at it this way. Allah subhana wa ta'ala lended us this body. We have to take care of it and might be held accountable for or treatment of it in the afterlife. And Allah subhana wa ta'ala knows best

Re.TiReD
06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
:sl: anorexia and bulimia are due to a number of reasons and sometimes not always in control, bulimics like to feel as though they have some sort of control and therefore purge...but I'd say its almost like depression, you get so caught up in what you're doing that you' dont realise the effect its having on you...and if it's due to stress or some cognitive aspect then I'd say you need help coz It's outa your control... Allahu A'lam :w:

ScoobyGurl
06-13-2007, 01:57 PM
People who diet and purge or starve themselves for a few days to a lose a few pounds, then yeah, what they're doing wrong (although I do wonder about a society that forces women to go to those lengths for beauty).

However, bulimics and anorexics (people who have actually been determined to have this disorders) aren't doing it for beauty and they can't just stop. They have full fledged mental illnesses. So of course stress is a factor. I said this because of some us are saying that "if" they're doing it because of stress, "if" they're doing it to get skinny as if they have some control.

AnonymousPoster
06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
:D EAT!!!!
LOL dats my adviceP.S. A balanced diet

England
06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Some people starve themselves and become anorexic as to get what they want. It's a way of sulking so surely THAT would be haram...? Alot of women do it for beauty, because they think they're fat. I'm sure Victoria Beckham does exactly that. She's as skinny as hell. I'd spl.. nah better not :X

skhalid
06-13-2007, 02:10 PM
England lol

ScoobyGurl
06-14-2007, 12:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Some people starve themselves and become anorexic as to get what they want. It's a way of sulking so surely THAT would be haram...? Alot of women do it for beauty, because they think they're fat. I'm sure Victoria Beckham does exactly that. She's as skinny as hell. I'd spl.. nah better not :X
:enough!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_nervosa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulimia

Being skinny does not automatically make you anorexic. Also, a person who becomes anorexic is not sulking and their issue isn't becoming "skinny." No one become anorexic for beauty. People (men and women suffer from EDs) who have EDs have full fledged psychological disorders and they need help not judgment. That's all I'm going to say.

AnonymousPoster
06-14-2007, 03:55 AM
:sl:

Jazakum Allahu khayran you all

:w:

skhalid
06-18-2007, 12:23 PM
aaaaaaaaaargh i can't stop eating..okay I need to sort out my problems because its influencing me to eat more than i need to...really i don't know when to stop!!!!

united
06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
its not always so black and white.
some people dont know when to stop eating and others have a problem where they dont know when to eat.

Fredrik
02-02-2018, 10:03 AM
I have been suffering from anorexia for almost a year now. I just want to ask you guys if you ever consider using cannabis as an alternative medicine or a solution for this kind of disorder? They say it can help you gain appetite and elevate you from depression. I was looking for medical advice online for the past couple of weeks and I accidentally came a cross this idea when I read an article from https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/pure-power-plant/. I have no idea that this is even possible so I would like to hear your personal experience with this if you have. Many thanks

Pure Power Plant
Coming from a lineage that is a mystery, PPP is very impressive in the medical cannabis community. Beginners and veterans can grow this strain easily....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.