/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fitnah vs Fitrah

S.A.
06-12-2007, 04:11 PM
:sl:

What is the difference between Fitnah and Fitrah please?

Im very confused between them. (Dont tell me its the wrong section)

In one book i read the meaning of Fitnah as "Plural: Fitan - Trials, persecution, confusion in the religion, conflicts and strifes among the Muslims. which I dont doubt.

And also, i heard on TV a Shk. defining it as 'Temptation'. But whts the link between the two definitions?

Ma'assalamah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
06-12-2007, 07:07 PM

In arabic most words have various meanings. That's the case with the problem you have here.

The word Fitnah (pl: Fitan) could mean all that you've mentioned above. And more.

It depends on the actual sentence & which meaning the wor'ds been structed to take.

The word "Fitrah" is something completley different.

I hope this has helped inshaAllah.

n' correct me if I may be wrong inshaAllah.

Rufaidah
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Wa3liykum Assalaam Warahamatul Lahi Wabarakatuh

The meanin of Fitrah is : Nature .. :)

Allaah says on his book :

So set thy face to the service of religion as one devoted to God. And follow the nature made by Allah, the nature in which He has created mankind. There is no altering the creation of Allah. That is the right religion. But most men know not.

فأقم وجهك للدّين حنيفا فطرة اللَّه التي فطر النّاس عليها لا تبديل لخلق اللَّه ذلك الدّين الْقيّم ولكنّ أكثر النّاسِ لا يعلمون

( Surah Al-Rum .. --)

- Qatada -
06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
:salamext:

Yeah, the fitrah is the way Allaah has created us - i.e. we are born with the innate nature of believing in One God, that none is worthy of worship except Him. It is our nature to do good, and to hate evil. To be kind and not be harsh etc.

All that is part of our fitrah (natural disposition/innate nature) which Allaah has created us in.

Fitnah is totally different and that is as you described. Both words are two totally different things. And Allaah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
06-13-2007, 07:41 PM
wow its amazing how these two attributes are like oppsites, fitrah wants to make u do good, fitnah wants to make u do evil, subhanALlah!

asadxyz
06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Yeah, the fitrah is the way Allaah has created us - i.e. we are born with the innate nature of believing in One God, that none is worthy of worship except Him. It is our nature to do good, and to hate evil. To be kind and not be harsh etc.

All that is part of our fitrah (natural disposition/innate nature) which Allaah has created us in.

Fitnah is totally different and that is as you described. Both words are two totally different things. And Allaah knows best.

A few questions have arisen in my mind regarding this word "Fitrah"
I do not know I should ask them or not.In the Quran the "nature" of Human being is described in this way;

وَلَئِنْ أَذَقْنَاهُ نَعْمَاء بَعْدَ ضَرَّاء مَسَّتْهُ لَيَقُولَنَّ ذَهَبَ السَّيِّئَاتُ عَنِّي إِنَّهُ لَفَرِحٌ فَخُورٌ﴿11:10﴾
(11:10) And if We let him taste favour after harm has touched him, he says: 'All my ills are gone', and he suddenly becomes exultant and boastful,
إِنَّ الإِنسَانَ لَظَلُومٌ كَفَّارٌ﴿14:34﴾

The fact is that man is very unjust and ungrateful.

وَيَدْعُ الإِنسَانُ بِالشَّرِّ دُعَاءهُ بِالْخَيْرِ وَكَانَ الإِنسَانُ عَجُولاً﴿17:11﴾
(17:11) Man invokes evil instead of goodness for he is very hasty and impatient. *12

وَكَانَ الإِنْسَانُ كَفُورًا﴿17:67﴾

Indeed man is very ungrateful

وَكَانَ الإنسَانُ قَتُورًا﴿17:100﴾
Indeed man is very narrow minded."

وَكَانَ الْإِنسَانُ أَكْثَرَ شَيْءٍ جَدَلًا﴿18:54﴾
but man is by nature very contentious.

خُلِقَ الْإِنسَانُ مِنْ عَجَلٍ(21:37)

Man is a creature of haste (and impatience).

Would you please explain them?
Best of luck

S.A.
06-14-2007, 08:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rufaidah
Wa3liykum Assalaam Warahamatul Lahi Wabarakatuh

The meanin of Fitrah is : Nature .. :)

Allaah says on his book :

So set thy face to the service of religion as one devoted to God. And follow the nature made by Allah, the nature in which He has created mankind. There is no altering the creation of Allah. That is the right religion. But most men know not.

فأقم وجهك للدّين حنيفا فطرة اللَّه التي فطر النّاس عليها لا تبديل لخلق اللَّه ذلك الدّين الْقيّم ولكنّ أكثر النّاسِ لا يعلمون

( Surah Al-Rum .. --)

I have found something (i think) totally different from what you have explained with regard to the word 'Fitrah'. :?

I will post it very soon inshallah.

But I do know and agree with what u said. Because in the urdu language we use the word Fitrat (Fitrah) for the same meaning to express someone's nature or habit, more character.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Rufaidah
06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.A.

I have found something (i think) totally different from what you have explained with regard to the word 'Fitrah'. :?

I will post it very soon inshallah.

But I do know and agree with what u said. Because in the urdu language we use the word Fitrat (Fitrah) for the same meaning to express someone's nature or habit, more character.

Assalaamu 3aliykum Warahamatul Lahi Wabarakatuh ..

sister .. if i say 2 u ... i didnt get yu :-[ ? ...

srry i just get the last sentce .. >>>
srryyy lol ... :skeleton:

S.A.
06-14-2007, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rufaidah
Assalaamu 3aliykum Warahamatul Lahi Wabarakatuh ..

sister .. if i say 2 u ... i didnt get yu :-[ ? ...

srry i just get the last sentce .. >>>
srryyy lol ... :skeleton:

Thats bad news Rufaidah ...! :D :raging:

I meant that i have found a hint to the definition of the word Fitrah. So here it is what I found.:)

Narrated Abu Hurairah (RAA) : I heard the Prophet PBUH saying:

" Five practices are characteristics of Al-Fitrah:

1. Circumcision
2. Shaving the pubic hair
3. Cutting the moustaches short
4. Clipping the nails
5. and depilating the hair of the armpits"

(Sahih Al-Bukhari, Hadith No. 5891)

Now how is the above related to the definitions that some of us gave? :blind:

S.A.
06-14-2007, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz

A few questions have arisen in my mind regarding this word "Fitrah"
I do not know I should ask them or not.In the Quran the "nature" of Human being is described in this way;

وَلَئِنْ أَذَقْنَاهُ نَعْمَاء بَعْدَ ضَرَّاء مَسَّتْهُ لَيَقُولَنَّ ذَهَبَ السَّيِّئَاتُ عَنِّي إِنَّهُ لَفَرِحٌ فَخُورٌ﴿11:10﴾
(11:10) And if We let him taste favour after harm has touched him, he says: 'All my ills are gone', and he suddenly becomes exultant and boastful,

وَيَدْعُ الإِنسَانُ بِالشَّرِّ دُعَاءهُ بِالْخَيْرِ وَكَانَ الإِنسَانُ عَجُولاً﴿17:11﴾
(17:11) Man invokes evil instead of goodness for he is very hasty and impatient. *12

Best of luck

I dont know what to say.

No comments from my side but They are true anyway! and the proof is very evident.

- Qatada -
06-14-2007, 06:36 PM

I think them acts are part of our fitrah, i.e. naturally people tend to do circumcision because it's more cleaner, people shave their pubic hair because it's also clean, cutting the moustache short is also a part of the fitrah since a big moustache would come in the way if someone was to eat food (i know that when my moustache first grew, i was desperate to get rid of it), clipping the nails is also part of the fitrah because it is hygienic, and removing the hair of the armpits is also part of the fitrah - innate nature because it is clean.

These acts are part of the fitrah and we see that even many non muslims do these acts, and that's because Allaah has created us this way, so the people go along with their innate nature - the fitrah and do these acts. And Allaah knows best.

Brother asad, i'm not a scholar of Qur'an sorry so i can't say. Maybe you could check a tafsir/explanation of Qur'an out? :)

carpetguy
06-14-2007, 06:36 PM
thank you brother for makign them easier to understand, may allah reward every muslim on this forum

as salam

S.A.
06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

I think them acts are part of our fitrah, i.e. naturally people tend to do circumcision because it's more cleaner, people shave their pubic hair because it's also clean, cutting the moustache short is also a part of the fitrah since a big moustache would come in the way if someone was to eat food (i know that when my moustache first grew, i was desperate to get rid of it), clipping the nails is also part of the fitrah because it is hygienic, and removing the hair of the armpits is also part of the fitrah - innate nature because it is clean.

These acts are part of the fitrah and we see that even many non muslims do these acts, and that's because Allaah has created us this way, so the people go along with their innate nature - the fitrah and do these acts. And Allaah knows best.

Brother asad, i'm not a scholar of Qur'an sorry so i can't say. Maybe you could check a tafsir/explanation of Qur'an out? :)

Thanks Qatada.!

back_to_faith
06-15-2007, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz

Best of luck

The previous verses highlight the nature of most of humanity......the meaning is that, most of human beings have such negative things

other verses highlight that the true believers are the exception of the expected negatives of most humans such as:,man is very narrow minded,a creature of haste ,and impatience,ungrateful,unjust.

Holy Quran10:12 When trouble toucheth a man, He crieth unto Us (in all postures)- lying down on his side, or sitting, or standing. But when We have solved his trouble, he passeth on his way as if he had never cried to Us for a trouble that touched him! thus do the deeds of transgressors seem fair in their eyes!

the previous verse shows that to be ungrateful to Allah after solving your problem is the deeds of transgressors .

another verse highlights the same point:

Holy Quran 89:15 When the human being is tested by his Lord, through blessings and joy, he says, "My Lord is generous towards me."

[89:16] But if He tests him through reduction in provisions, he says, "My Lord is humiliating me!"

The Holy Quran is really a fountain of truth and wisdom.

Allah indeed is the expert ,designer of humanity...who knows very well their nature ..and shows them through his word (The Quran) How to improve their morals......and giving up the negatives which is expected from human beings,
to pass such big test (life before death),and be blessed in (life after death).

peace to all

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.