/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "...It may be that your Lord will raise you to Maqam Mahmud..."

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-14-2007, 02:01 AM
﴿عَسَى أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَاماً مَّحْمُودًا﴾

(It may be that your Lord will raise you to Maqam Mahmud.) meaning, `do that which you are commanded to do, and We will raise you to a station of praise and glory (Maqam Mahmud) on the Day of Resurrection, where all of creation will praise you,' as will their Creator, may He be glorified and exalted. Ibn Jarir said, "Most of the commentators said, `This is the position to which Muhammad will be raised on the Day of Resurrection, to intercede for the people so that their Lord will relieve them of some of the hardships they are facing on that Day.''' It was reported that Hudhayfah said, "Mankind will be gathered in one arena, where they will all hear the call and will all be seen. They will be standing barefoot and naked as they were created, and no person shall speak except by the leave of Allah. He will call out, `O Muhammad,' and he will respond,

«لَبَّيْكَ وَسَعْدَيْكَ، وَالْخَيْرُ فِي يَدَيْكَ وَالشَّرُّ لَيْسَ إِلَيْكَ، وَالْمَهدِيُّ مَنْ هَدَيْتَ، وَعَبْدُكَ بَيْنَ يَدَيْكَ، وَمِنْكَ وَإِلَيْكَ لَا مَنْجَى وَلَا مَلْجَأَ مِنْكَ إِلَّا إِلَيْكَ، تَبَارَكْتَ وَتَعَالَيْتَ سُبْحَانَكَ رَبَّ الْبَيْت»

(At your service, all goodness is in Your Hands and evil is not to be attributed to You. The one who is guided is the one whom You guide. Your servant is before You, from You, and to You and there is no salvation or refuge from You except with You. May You be blessed and exalted, Glory be to You, Lord of the House (the Ka`bah).) This is the position of praise and honor (Maqam Mahmud) which was mentioned by Allah.'' Ibn `Abbas said, "The position of praise and honor is the position of intercession.'' Ibn Abi Najih reported something similar from Mujahid, and this was also the view of Al-Hasan Al-Basri. Qatadah said, "He is the first one for whom the earth will be opened on the Day of Resurrection, and he will be the first one to intercede.'' So the scholars consider this the position of praise and glory to which Allah referred in the Ayah:

(It may be that your Lord will raise you to Maqam Mahmud.) I, Ibn Kathir, say: the Messenger of Allah will have honors in the Day of Resurrection in which no one else will have a share, honors which will not be matched by anyone else. He is the first one for whom the earth will be opened and he will come forth riding to the gathering place. He will have a banner under which Adam and anyone else will gather, and he will have the Hawd (Lake) to which no one else will have more access than he. He will have the right of the Grand Intercession with Allah when He comes to judge between His creation. This will be after the people ask Adam, then Nuh, then Ibrahim, then Musa, then `Isa to intercede, and each of them will say, "I am not able for that.'' Then they will come to Muhammad , and he will say,

«أَنَا لَهَا أَنَا لَهَا»

(I can do that, I can do that.) We will mention this in more detail shortly, If Allah wills. Part of that will be that he will intercede for some people who had been commanded to be taken to Hell, and they will be brought back. He is the first Prophet whose Ummah will be judged, and the first to take them across the Bridge over the Fire, and the first to intercede in Paradise, as was reported in Sahih Muslim. In the Hadith about the Trumpet, it says that none of the believers will enter Paradise except through his intercession. He will be the first to enter Paradise, and his Ummah will be the first nation to enter. He will intercede for the status to be raised for people whose deeds could not get them there. He is the one who will reach Al-Wasilah, which is the highest position in Paradise, which befits no one but him. When Allah gives permission for intercession on behalf of sinners, the angels, Prophets and believers will intercede, and he will intercede for people whose number is known only to Allah. No one will intercede like him and no one will match him in intercession. This has been explained in comprehensive detail at the end of the Book of Sirah, in the chapter on the specific qualities. Praise be to Allah. Now with the help of Allah we will mention the Hadiths that were reported concerning Al-Maqam Al-Mahmud. Al-Bukhari recorded that Ibn `Umar said: "On the Day of Resurrection, the people will be humbled to their knees, each nation following its Prophet and saying, `O so-and-so, intercede,' `O so-and-so, intercede,' until the power of intercession is given to Muhammad , and that will be the day when Allah raises him to a position of praise and glory. Ibn Jarir recorded that `Abdullah bin `Umar said that the Messenger of Allah said:

«إِنَّ الشَّمْسَ لَتَدْنُو حَتَّى يَبْلُغَ الْعَرَقُ نِصْفَ الْأُذُنِ، فَبَيْنَمَا هُمْ كَذَلِكَ اسْتَغَاثُوا بِآدَمَ فَيَقُولُ: لَسْتُ بِصَاحِبِ ذَلِكَ، ثُمَّ بِمُوسَى فَيَقُولُ كَذَلِكَ، ثُمَّ بِمُحَمَّدٍفَيَشْفَعُ بَيْنَ الْخَلْقِ فَيَمْشِي حَتَّى يَأْخُذَ بِحَلَقَةِ بَابِ الْجَنَّةِ، فَيَوْمَئِذٍ يَبْعَثُهُ اللهُ مَقَامًا مَحْمُودًا»

(The sun will come close until the sweat reaches halfway up one's ears. When the people are in that state, they will ask Adam for help, and he will say, "I am not the one to do that.'' Then they will ask Musa, and he will say likewise, then they will ask Muhammad, and he will intercede for the people and will go and take hold of the handle of the gate of Paradise, and that will be the Day when Allah resurrects him to a position of praise and glory.) Al-Bukhari also recorded it in the Book of Zakah, where he added:

«فَيَوْمَئِذٍ يَبْعَثُهُ اللهُ مَقَامًا مَحْمُودًا، يَحْمَدُهُ أَهْلُ الْجَمْعِ كُلُّهُم»

(That will be the Day when Allah resurrects him to a position of praise and glory, and all the people will praise him.) Abu Dawud At-Tayalisi recorded that `Abdullah said, "Then Allah will give permission for intercession, and Ar-Ruh Al-Quddus, Jibril, will stand up, then Ibrahim, the close Friend of Allah will stand up, then `Isa or Musa will stand up - Abu Az-Za`ra' said, `I do not know which of them, ' -- then your Prophet will stand up and will intercede, and no one after him will intercede as much as he does. This is the position of praise and glory to which Allah referred:

(It may be that your Lord will raise you to Maqam Mahmud.)''

Imam Ahmad (may Allah have mercy on him) recorded that Abu Hurayrah said, "Some meat was brought to the Messenger of Allah , and he lifted up the arm, which he used to like, and took one bite, then he said:

«أَنَا سَيِّدُ النَّاسِ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ، وَهَلْ تَدْرُونَ مِمَّ ذَاكَ؟ يَجْمَعُ اللهُ الْأَوَّلِينَ وَالْآخِرِينَ فِي صَعِيدٍ وَاحِدٍ، يُسْمِعُهُمُ الدَّاعِي، وَيَنْفُذُهُمُ الْبَصَرُ، وَتَدْنُو الشَّمْسُ فَيَبْلُغُ النَّاسَ مِنَ الْغَمِّ وَالْكَرْبِ مَا لَا يُطِيقُونَ، وَلَا يَحْتَمِلُونَ فَيَقُولُ بَعْضُ النَّاسِ لِبَعْضٍ: أَلَا تَرَوْنَ مَا أَنْتُمْ فِيهِ مِمَّا قَدْ بَلَغَكُمْ، أَلَا تَنْظُرُونَ مَنْ يَشْفَعُ لَكُمْ إِلَى رَبِّكُمْ؟ فَيَقُولُ بَعْضُ النَّاسِ لِبَعْضٍ:

عَلَيْكُمْ بِآدَمَ، فَيَأْتُونَ آدَمَ عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامُ فَيَقُولُونَ: يَا آدَمُ أَنْتَ أَبُو الْبَشَرِ خَلَقَكَ اللهُ بِيَدِهِ وَنَفَخَ فِيكَ مِنْ رُوحِهِ، وَأَمَرَ الْمَلَائِكَةَ فَسَجَدُوا لَكَ، فَاشْفَعْ لَنَا إِلَى رَبِّكَ أَلَا تَرَى مَا نَحْنُ فِيهِ، أَلَا تَرَى مَا قَدْ بَلَغَنَا؟ فَيَقُولُ آدَمُ: إِنَّ رَبِّي قَدْ غَضِبَ الْيَوْمَ غَضَبًا لَمْ يَغْضَبْ قَبْلَهُ مِثْلَهُ وَلَنْ يَغْضَبَ بَعْدَهُ مِثْلَهُ، وَإِنَّهُ قَدْ نَهَانِي عَنِ الشَّجَرَةِ فَعَصَيْتُ، نَفْسِي نَفْسِي نَفْسِي، اذْهَبُوا إِلَى غَيْرِي اذْهَبُوا إِلَى نُوحٍ، فَيَأْتُونَ نُوحًا فَيَقُولُونَ: يَا نُوحُ أَنْتَ أَوَّلُ الرُّسُلِ إِلَى أَهْلِ الْأَرْضِ، وَقَدْ سَمَّاكَ اللهُ عَبْدًا شَكُورًا، اشْفَعْ لَنَا إِلَى رَبِّكَ أَلَا تَرَى مَا نَحْنُ فِيهِ، أَلَا تَرَى مَا قَدْ بَلَغَنَا؟ فَيَقُولُ نُوحٌ: إِنَّ رَبِّي قَدْ غَضِبَ الْيَوْمَ غَضَبًا لَمْ يَغْضَبْ قَبْلَهُ مِثْلَهُ وَلَنْ يَغْضَبَ بَعْدَهُ مِثْلَهُ قَطُّ، وَإِنَّهُ قَدْ كَانَتْ لِي دَعْوَةٌ دَعَوْتُهَا عَلَى قَوْمِي نَفْسِي نَفْسِي نَفْسِي، اذْهَبُوا إِلَى غَيْرِي اذْهَبُوا إِلَى إِبْرَاهِيمَ، فَيَأْتُونَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ فَيَقُولُونَ: يَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ أَنْتَ نَبِيُّ اللهِ وَخَلِيلُهُ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْأَرْضِ،اشْفَعْ لَنَا إِلَى رَبِّكَ أَلَا تَرَى مَا نَحْنُ فِيهِ، أَلَا تَرَى مَا قَدْ بَلَغَنَا؟ فَيَقُولُ: إِنَّ رَبِّي قَدْ غَضِبَ الْيَوْمَ غَضَبًا لَمْ يَغْضَبْ قَبْلَهُ مِثْلَهُ، وَلَنْ يَغْضَبَ بَعْدَهُ مِثْلَهُ فَذَكَرَ كَذَبَاتِهِ نَفْسِي نَفْسِي نَفْسِي، اذْهَبُوا إِلَى غَيْرِي اذْهَبُوا إِلَى مُوسَى، فَيَأْتُونَ مُوسَى عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامُ فَيَقُولُونَ: يَا مُوسَى أَنْتَ رَسُولُ اللهِ اصْطَفَاكَ اللهُ بِرِسَالَاتِهِ وَبِكَلَامِهِ عَلَى النَّاسِ، اشْفَعْ لَنَا إِلَى رَبِّكَ أَلَا تَرَى مَا نَحْنُ فِيهِ، أَلَا تَرَى مَا قَدْ بَلَغَنَا؟ فَيَقُولُ لَهُمْ مُوسَى: إِنَّ رَبِّي قَدْ غَضِبَ الْيَوْمَ غَضَبًا لَمْ يَغْضَبْ قَبْلَهُ مِثْلَهُ، وَلَنْ يَغْضَبَ بَعْدَهُ مِثْلَهُ، وَإِنِّي قَدْ قَتَلْتُ نَفْسًا لَمْ أُومَرْ بِقَتْلِهَا، نَفْسِي نَفْسِي نَفْسِي، اذْهَبُوا إِلَى غَيْرِي اذْهَبُوا إِلَى عِيسَى، فَيَأْتُونَنِعيسَى فَيَقُولُونَ: يَااِعيسَى أَنْتَ رَسُولُ اللهِ وَكَلِمَتُهُ أَلْقَاهَا إِلَى مَرْيَمَ وَرُوحٌ مِنْهُ، وَكَلَّمْتَ النَّاسَ فِي الْمَهْدِ صَبِيًّا، فَاشْفَعْ لَنَا إِلَى رَبِّكَ أَلَا تَرَى مَا نَحْنُ فِيهِ، أَلَا تَرَى مَا قَدْ بَلَغَنَا؟ فَيَقُولُ لَهُمْمِعيسَى: إِنَّ رَبِّي قَدْ غَضِبَ الْيَوْمَ غَضَبًا لَمْ يَغْضَبْ قَبْلَهُ مِثْلَهُ، وَلَنْ يَغْضَبَ بَعْدَهُ مِثْلَهُ، وَلَمْ يَذْكُرْ ذَنْبًا، نَفْسِي نَفْسِي نَفْسِي، اذْهَبُوا إِلَى غَيْرِي اذْهَبُوا إِلَى مُحَمَّدٍ، فَيَأْتُونَ مُحَمَّدًا فَيَقُولُونَ: يَا مُحَمَّدُ أَنْتَ رَسُولُ اللهِ وَخَاتَمُ الْأَنْبِيَاءِ، وَقَدْ غَفَرَ اللهُ لَكَ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنْ ذَنْبِكَ وَمَا تَأَخَّرَ، فَاشْفَعْ لَنَا إِلَى رَبِّكَ أَلَا تَرَى مَا نَحْنُ فِيهِ، أَلَا تَرَى مَا قَدْ بَلَغَنَا؟ فَأَقُومُ فَآتِي تَحْتَ الْعَرْشِ، فَأَقَعُ سَاجِدًا لِرَبِّي عَزَّ وَجَلَّ، ثُمَّ يَفْتَحُ اللهُ عَلَيَّ وَيُلْهِمُنِي مِنْ مَحَامِدِهِ وَحُسْنِ الثَّنَاءِ عَلَيْهِ مَالَمْ يَفْتَحْهُ عَلَى أَحَدٍ قَبْلِي، فَيُقَالُ: يَا مُحَمَّدُ ارْفَعْ رَأْسَكَ وَسَلْ تُعْطَهُ، وَاشْفَعْ تُشَفَّعْ، فَأَرْفَعُ رَأْسِي فَأَقُولُ: أُمَّتِي يَا رَبِّ، أُمَّتِي يَا رَبِّ، أُمَّتِي يَا رَبِّ، فَيُقَالُ: يَا مُحَمَّدُ أَدْخِلْ مِنْ أُمَّتِكَ مَنْ لَا حِسَابَ عَلَيْهِ مِنَ الْبَابِ الْأَيْمَنِ مِنْ أَبْوَابِ الْجَنَّةِ،وَهُمْ شُرَكَاءُ النَّاسِ فِيمَا سِوَى ذَلِكَ مِنَ الْأَبْوَابِ، ثُمَّ قَالَ: وَالَّذِي نَفْسُ مُحَمَّدٍ بِيَدِهِ إِنَّ مَا بَيْنَ الْمِصْرَاعَيْنِ مِنْ مَصَارِيعِ الْجَنَّةِ كَمَا بَيْنَ مَكَّةَ وَهَجَرَ، أَوْ كَمَا بَيْنَ مَكَّةَ وَبُصْرَى»

(I will be the leader of mankind on the Day of Resurrection. Do you know why it will be so Allah will gather the first and the last in one place, and they will hear a voice calling out, and they will all be seen. The sun will come close until their anguish and distress becomes unbearable, and some will say to others, "Do you not see how much you are suffering Why do you not find someone to intercede for you with your Lord'' And some of the people will say to others, "How about Adam'' So they will go to Adam and say, "O Adam, you are the father of mankind, Allah created you with His Hand and breathed into you of His spirit, and commanded the angels to prostrate to you. Intercede for us with your Lord, do you not see the state we are in, how bad it is'' Adam will say, "My Lord is angry today in a way that He has never been angry before and He will never be this angry again. He forbade me to approach the Tree and I disobeyed Him. Myself, myself, myself ﴿i.e., I am only concerned about myself﴾. Go to someone else. Go to Nuh.'' So they will go to Nuh and say, "O Nuh, you are the first of the Messengers sent to the people of earth, and Allah called you a grateful servant. Intercede for us with your Lord, do you not see the state we are in, how bad it is'' Nuh will say, "My Lord is angry today in a way that He has never been angry before and He will never be this angry again. There is a prayer that I prayed against my people. Myself, myself, myself ﴿i.e., I am only concerned about myself﴾. Go to someone else. Go to Ibrahim. '' So they will go to Ibrahim and say, "O Ibrahim, you are the Prophet of Allah and His close Friend among the people of earth. Intercede for us with your Lord, do you not see the state we are in, how bad it is'' Ibrahim will say, "My Lord is angry today in a way that He has never been angry before and He will never be this angry again.'' And he mentioned some untruths he had told. "Myself, myself, myself ﴿i.e., I am only concerned about myself﴾. Go to someone else. Go to Musa.''

So they will go to Musa and say, "O Musa, you are the Messenger of Allah, Allah chose you above others by selecting you to convey His Message and by speaking to you directly. Intercede for us with your Lord, do you not see the state we are in, how bad it is'' Musa will say, "My Lord is angry today in a way that He has never been angry before and He will never be this angry again. I killed a soul whom I had not been commanded to kill. Myself, myself, myself ﴿i.e., I am only concerned about myself﴾. Go to someone else. Go to `Isa.'' So they will go to `Isa and say, `O `Isa, you are the Messenger of Allah and His Word which He bestowed upon Maryam and a spirit created by Him. You spoke to the people as an infant in the cradle. Intercede for us with your Lord, do you not see the state we are in, how bad it is'' `Isa will say, "My Lord is angry today in a way that He has never been angry before and He will never be this angry again.'' And he will not mention any sin. "Myself, myself, myself ﴿i.e., I am only concerned about myself﴾. Go to someone else. Go to Muhammad.'' So they will go to Muhammad and will say, "O Muhammad, you are the Messenger of Allah and the Last of the Prophets, Allah forgave all your past and future sins. Intercede for us with your Lord, do you not see the state we are in, how bad it is'' I will stand up and come before the Throne, and will fall prostrating to my Lord, may He be glorified and exalted. Then Allah will inspire me to speak and I will speak beautiful words of praise such as no one has ever been inspired with before. It will be said, "O Muhammad, raise your head and ask, it will be granted to you. Intercede, and your intercession will be heard.'' So I will raise my head and say, "My Ummah, O Lord, my Ummah, O Lord, my Ummah, O Lord.'' It will be said, "O Muhammad, admit those who will not be brought to account from among your Ummah through the right-hand gate of Paradise. Then the rest of your Ummah will share the other gates with the rest of the people.'') Then he said, ("By the One in Whose Hand is the soul of Muhammad, the distance between two of the gateposts of Paradise is like the distance between Makkah and Hajar, or between Makkah and Busra.)

It was also reported in the Two Sahihs.

From Tafsir Ibn Kathir

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Intisar
02-18-2008, 06:45 PM
:salamext: Wow that was so beautiful, jazakallaahu khayr. :thumbs_up May Allaah reward you.

Na7lah
02-18-2008, 10:46 PM
jazakallah khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.