/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Controversial professor denied tenure; UT student urges hiring

islamirama
06-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Controversial professor denied tenure; UT student urges hiring

By Zachary Posner

Andrew Dobbs wants to speak for the UT community and tell tenure-denied DePaul University professor Norman Finkelstein, "We want you."

Dobbs, a 23-year-old UT history student currently on personal leave from school, was able to make his plea to embrace the professor, who is newly available to Austin and, to his shock, the rest of the world, through the political blog BurntOrangeReport.com.

Dobb's article, titled "Hook Finkelstein," received an unlikely shout-out when it was quoted on the Web site of London-based newspaper The Guardian.

"I was completely surprised by it," Dobbs said. "However, [Burnt Orange Report] is a prominent political blog and it is definitely on people's radars."

The controversy surrounding Finkelstein, who was denied tenure last week, is one that UT government professor Clement Henry called "academic terrorism."

Finkelstein has grown in fame over the years, drawing praise and criticism alike for his views on Israeli politics and what he has dubbed "The Holocaust Industry." In a book of the same title, he takes the controversial stance that some Jewish people have exploited the Holocaust for monetary and political power. Finkelstein will leave DePaul University on June 16, according to a recording on his office voice mail.

Many people, Dobbs and Henry included, are of the opinion that DePaul was swayed by outside political factors, thus turning Finkelstein's tenure decision into a fight over academic freedom.

"Whether you disagree with him or not, he has a right to say what he feels, and I think he does so pretty convincingly," Dobbs said. "It's not as if he is promoting violence."

Henry agrees with Dobbs but would not comment on the feasibility of Dobbs' dream of having Finkelstein join the UT faculty.

"It's a rather sad day for academic freedom," said Henry. "He is a very strong candidate and should stand up at any top university in world." Henry later said that there would be hell to pay in Austin if someone of Finkelstein's stature was denied tenure.

In a written statement from DePaul University, President Dennis Holtschneider said outside interest in the tenure decision was "unwelcome and inappropriate and had no impact on either the process or the outcome of this case."

"Some will consider this decision in the context of academic freedom," he said. "In fact, academic freedom is alive and well at DePaul. It is guaranteed both as an integral part of the university's scholarly and religious heritage, and as an essential condition of effective inquiry and instruction."

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.co...-2915132.shtml

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Just an advanced notice to everyone: This is not 'open season on Jews'. Any remarks of an anti-semitic nature will be deleted and probably result in thread closure.

Umar001
06-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Am confused what does tenure mean.

And basically, there's this Proffesor, who has been sacked? And has had to leave the uni because he speaks in some ways about Jews and Israeli polocy?

UmmSqueakster
06-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Finklestein is an excellent speaker, and I think any university would be lucky to have him. My husband and I got to see him speak last year, and it was an eye opening experience to say the least. The husband is a recent immigrant from egypt, and hadn't been exposed to any kind of intellectual approach to anti zionism that doesn't include anti semetism. He really really enjoyed the lecture.

If you don't have a chance to hear him speak, definately pick up one of his books or at least browse his website.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
06-14-2007, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Am confused what does tenure mean.
Tenure basically means that after a prof. has been at a school for awhile, he is guaranteed to have his appointment for life. It allows for more academic freedom, as he's not worried about getting fired for saying/studying/teaching controversial things.

And basically, there's this Proffesor, who has been sacked? And has had to leave the uni because he speaks in some ways about Jews and Israeli polocy?
It's nothing new. Mr. Finkelstein knows he's not going to get tenure anywhere, because he isn't afraid to speak out and be politically incorrect about the situation in Israel/Palestine (not about the Jews, mind you, but about zionism, and the misuse of anti semetism).

carpetguy
06-14-2007, 03:34 PM
allah knows best, make dua that allah bring peace for muslims and let every1 live happily

ameen

Cognescenti
06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
In general, left-leaning professors are embraced by the academic community. I have a feeling there is something more going on here than meets the eye. There are, after all, legitimate reasons why someone might be denied tenure (like academic rigor, publication, research, not sleeping with the Dean's wife...etc etc)

UmmSqueakster
06-14-2007, 08:01 PM
A more in depth look at the whole deal can be found at Inside Higher Ed, for those who are interested.

islamirama
06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
In general, left-leaning professors are embraced by the academic community. I have a feeling there is something more going on here than meets the eye. There are, after all, legitimate reasons why someone might be denied tenure (like academic rigor, publication, research, not sleeping with the Dean's wife...etc etc)
Reminds me of two academic professors who had to go to UK to publish thier paper titled The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy becuase they wouldn't get any chance to do it in thier own country thanks to zionist lobby and control.
Read their story here

so no suprise why this professor is denied as well, and lets not forget the president himself is a jew and i think it's clear case close at that point.

Cognescenti
06-14-2007, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Reminds me of two academic professors who had to go to UK to publish thier paper titled The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy becuase they wouldn't get any chance to do it in thier own country thanks to zionist lobby and control.
Read their story here
The link you posted says no such thing. The blogger seems to think they were entitled to an interview on the Today show and a ticker tape parade in New York. They published a paper and nobody noticed. Big deal. Free speech rights don't mean others have to listen when you get up on your soapbox. David Gergen is part of the Zionist media cabal? That is rich.

so no suprise why this professor is denied as well, and lets not forget the president himself is a jew and i think it's clear case close at that point.
Wait, do you mean Bush? Or do you mean the President of De Paul University? The President of De Paul is named Holtschneider....hmmmm might be Jewish....although there is the small problem that he is a Catholic priest. :)

The thesis that De Paul University ( a Catholic university) is part of some conspiracy to suppress anti-Zionist views is not credible. I am trying to be nice.

Zman
06-14-2007, 10:56 PM
:sl:/Peace To All

I greatly respect Prof. Finklestein. And, I can't stand Dershowitz.

I think Dershowitz is currently taking on British academia and threatening grave consequences over their intention to boycott Israeli academia.

There's currently a lot of mud-slinging going on, and they're accusing the Brits of being anti-Semitic.

This is after all the support Britain has given Israel...

Cognescenti
06-15-2007, 03:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman
:sl:/Peace To All

I greatly respect Prof. Finklestein. And, I can't stand Dershowitz.
I could be wrong, but I think "Dershowitz" is "Prof. Dershowitz" and may well have tenure. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.