/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Science of Hadith Notes

Umar001
06-14-2007, 10:06 PM
As Salaam Aleykum Wa Rhametullahi Wa Berekatu,

Instead of destroying the other thread I thought we could kind of keep things abit more organised and paste our stuff here and so we can check it have it checked by each other and so forth.

As far as I know noone here is a Muhhadith so let's not take anyone's posts as authoritative unless of course they are quoting such people.

This is more of a place to check our own notes and have others help and point mistakes out and so forth, not neccesarily a place to learn from other's notes since they might contain mistakes.

I thought the method follow could be that the poster includes various things when posting:

1) Lecture the notes are based on.
2) Person giving the lecture.
3) What tape or part of the lecture if many parts are avaliable.
4) A link to the Multi Media section which will give links to the lecture.
5) A key to show any abbriviation meanings and the likes.

That should do for now I think if anyone has any suggestions post them please.

I will also include that if you have notes that others might have written on this then feel free to post them. Obviously not if the person has said you can't do so. And if you do not know what lecture they were from just write UNKNOWN and author UNKNOWN and the Note Taker UNKNOWN if you got it randomly from the internet.

If you think the above is all rubbish and you have a better method feel free to share it. I wont be mad. :thumbs_up

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
06-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Lecture: Usool Hadith pt 5
Teacher: Yasir Qadhi

Conditions of Sahih:

1. Continious Isnaad (chain of narrators)
2. All of the narrators must be honest i.e. have integrety.
3. Narraotrs must have precise and accurate memories.
4. It must not contradict something stronger than it.
5. No hidden defects.

1 - Muqati - General term when you don't have a continious chain.

When a hadith is said to be Munqati it means somewhere in the chain there is a missing link, but just from that word the position of the missing link is not known.

If the sahaba is missing, then it is then said to be Mursal

Mursal is the strongest Daif (weak) hadith, this is because the person missing is a sahaba, and the sahaba are of the highest level because they do not lie or repeat mistakes about the Prophet, peace be upon him. But still daif.

Mu'allaq

If the person missing in the chain is at the bottom of the chain, i.e. Bukhari's shaykh, or Muslim's shaykh. Meaning right at the bottom of the chain, the last person above the collector, Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood..This is called Mu'allaq, [personal note, a translation which has stuck in my mind for this is suspended]

Muadal

If there are two consequtive or more people missing in the chain, then it is called Muadal (confused) in the sense there are two people missing and we don't know who they are. Weakest of Daif.

Mudallas

Someone who narraters from someone else alive in his life time, but they have NOT MET!
Sometimes people would narrate in such a way, by mistake, that the listeners may think the narrator and the person who he narrated it from actually met, when they hadn't.

It is not lying, but it is disliked by alot of Muhhaditheen.

2 - Muslim of age, sane, avoids major sins and minor sins. A drunk guy is not accepted, major innovator won't be accepted, maybe a small once in a while by mistake. Liars not accepted. [personal note: for more info check the rest of the notes from other lectures on the description of Adala]

If he was a lier in the sunnah then all his Hadith will be fabricated. If he was a lier in worldly affairs, but not in the Sunnah his hadith is = daif jiddan.

NOTE: Daif Jiddan and Fabricated wont move up no matter the quantity of them.

When the guy is unknown, i.e. no biography about him then:

1. If only one person reports from him that one source then the hadith is daif jiddan.
2. If more than one person reports from this source then the hadith is daif.

3 - Different catagories of people:

Highest - Sahih
Average - Hasan
Below Average - Da'if
Pathetic - Da'if Jidden.

4 - Shadh

A hadith that contradicts something stronger than it meaning the previous conditions are passed. Hadith can be stronger by havin more chains or having stronger narrators than it.

[Personal Note: I am sure there is more to the lesson but this is all left on this piece in the book]

May Allah forgive me if I wrote anything wrong.

Ra`eesah
06-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Disclaimer: Ok Like I said these are my notes from when I was in School. So obviously it may not be as clear, so if you do not understand something please ask. Taken from the book A Text Book of Hadith Studies, Kamali, taught by Shiekh Isam Rajab.

This is his background :

Shaikh Isam Rajab graduated from Madina University with a BS in Islamic Studies. He has 2 ijazas for memorizing the entire Quran and has an ijaza from the Prophetic Masjid in Madina in The Inheritance System in Islam. He also has a MA in Islamic Studies and is a PhD candidate at Al-Azhar University in Egypt. He has worked as an Imam for 5 years in Kuwait and 2 years in Albuquerque, NM. He is the Founder of Arees Institute and Foundation and is also currently Imam for Masjid Hamza (Mission Bend) in Houston."

Bismillaah hir Rahmaan nir Raheem

February 3, 2006

Divisions of hadith according to the number of narrators " Transmitters"

from this aspect, the hadith is divided into 2 categories:

1. Mutawatir: Multiply narrated (recurrent)
2.Ahad: Singularly narrated. (solitary)

The book P. 169

I. Mutawatir

Linguistically: continues/ continuos
In the mustalah 'Hadith terminology': A hadith narrated by 'large' number of people so much so that its inconceivable that they could have all collaborated in order to perpetuate a lie.

1. Conditions of Mutawatir

In order to give the hadith this criteria 'Mutawatir' it has to meet 4 conditions

1. To be narrated by many people:
  • At lest 4, others say 200 people
  • But ijma said 10 is the lest
2. This 'many' has to be available in all levels of Isnad.
  • we can not accept a hadith narrated only by one companion, even if that was heard by 300 people, there must be number of companions.
  • If 4 companion then 4 successors if 10 companion the 10 successors
3. Its impossible for them to lie in this hadith
  • Such as if someone from Iraq is saying something, another from India says the same thing then another person from Europe says the same thing. and they don’t know each other, hence its impossible that they conspiracies a lie. [ different age, different knowledge]
  • If 4 people came and told u information, however they are all in one house, we can not accept it. Since its 1 group regardless of the number.
4. They relate something with their senses [ something they saw, they heard with their ears they touched] but not they thought or what they concluded
  • Must be based on sense perception and not any other ground such as the rationality of its message
2. Its Ruling

Whenever there’s a hadith that is mutawatir then you have to accept it with out checking on its narrators.

3. Its types

its divided into 2 types

Mutawatir lafthey [literal]: The mutawatir was narrated with the same exact meaning

Mutawatir ma3nawi [meaning] :The hadith is multiply narrated about the same thing from different narration

Examples

1. For the first category: the hadith of the pool of the Prophet (sallaahu `alahi wasalaam)
  • They give literal word for word.
2. For the second category: the hadith of rasing the hand during the dua.
They gave the hadith in different wordings, one said: " He rose his hands in dua." and the other said: " The Prophet (sallaahu `alahi wasalaam) raised his hand in arafa'.

Note: someone who ignores and rejects a mutawatir hadith, has an issue of Aqeedah i.e Shia rejecting the hadith on and wiping over socks even though it has been narrated by over 70 sahabas.

II. Ahad

Linguistically: one

In the mustalah: 'Hadith terminology': Singularly narrated ( solitary) ; what is other then mutawatir; whatever is not.

1. Its verdict
  • The difference between ahad and mutawatir is that we don’t need to check on the mutawatir as long as all 4 conditions meet.
  • However, when we have a hadith ahad then we have to check on the isnad and the mathn as well, it maybe that its unauthentic.
2. Its divisions

The ahad is divided to 3 types according to this number of the chains or narrators:

1. Mashhour : Famous, what's narrated by at least 3 people in each level.
  • Such as the hadith: "Indeed Allah doesn’t take the knowledge away by taking it away from the hearts of people."
  • It could be weak or not, of course not the sahaba but others.
2.`Aziz : Dear or rare ; which is narrated by two narrators in each level.
  • Such as the hadith: "None of you shall have iman until I become more beloved than himself, his children and all mankind."
  • It could also be weak.
3. Ghareeb: ‘The stranger ' the one that’s away from home.
  • In hadith terminology the hadith that’s narrated by one person in any level of the isnad.
  • It doesn’t have to be in all the Isnad. If there was one narrator in one level then its ghareeb.
  • The hadith of Umar (rathi allahu `an) Surely actions are judged by their intention," is a ghareeb hadith because he was the only one who narrated it.
3. What is the verdict of Ahad

Q: If we have an authentic hadith yet its ahad, would that effect the application of it?

A: Yes it can be saheeh, hasan or dhaif.

The Hanafi opinion:

Some people didn’t work according to the ahad in the field of aqeedah, but we accept ahad in the minor issues like the issues of Fiqh.

Major of Scholars said:

1. must not go against this hadith by actions
2. must not go against the conditions of islam
3. He must be a faqi, because he might change the word unknownly.
  • If the hadith is authentic, then we have to accept it and work upon it, whether one narrated it or a hundred.
  • Hadith of Muath ( rathi allahu `an) when he was sent to yemen, the Prophet (sallaahu`alahi wasalaam) send him to yemen and he was alone! If we cant accept the Aqeedah from a hadith of ahad then the Prophet (sallahu `alahi wasalaam) wouldn’t have sent him to yemen.
  • Changing of the Qibla.

Umar001
06-16-2007, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
:sl:

Ok, I get what you mean.

Fawaa'id (singular; Faa'idah): Notes.
Wa aleykum salam,

so when you posting your notes?

:?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.