/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What in the world???!!!

*noor
06-15-2007, 05:52 PM
:sl:

What in the world is a "moderate Muslim"?! Why do so many people use this term to describe some people. The term "moderate Muslim" does not make the least bit of sense because ISLAM IS ALL ABOUT MODERATION.

In a hadith narrated by Abu Hurairah, the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: "Your deen is easy. Do not go to extremes. Do your work the simple way." -Bukhari

Why don't we listen to the words of our beloved prophet? Why must we give ourselves or other Muslims the label of "moderate Muslims"? We all need to realize that there is nothing complicated about Islam so there is no need to modify or make it complicated or call anyone a "moderate Muslim."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummAbdillah
06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Islam is not a religion; it’s a complete way of life. You’re either a muslim or your not. I don’t understand the term ‘moderate Muslim’.

O ye who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps of the evil one; for he is to you an avowed enemy. 2:208

Say ye: "We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam)." 2:136

:w: :)

glo
06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I think the term is coming to the forefront, so people can separate themselves from those Muslims who are perceived to be 'fundamentalists'.

Unfortunately these terms take - over time - on different meanings and become politically clouded ...

I don't know much about the so-called Muslim fundamentalist movement, but Christian fundamentalists where originally "a movement that arose mainly within British and American Protestantism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries by conservative evangelical Christians, who, in a reaction to modernism, actively affirmed a fundamental set of Christian beliefs: the inerrancy of the Bible, Sola Scriptura, the virgin birth of Christ, the doctrine of substitutionary atonement, the bodily resurrection of Jesus, and the imminent return of Jesus Christ."

Based on those factors I would have no problems calling myself a fundamentalist Christian ...

However, over recent years the term has gained very negative connotations:
"The secular world's current perception of the term "fundamentalism" has been colored by shifts in meaning on two different fronts since the 1980s. When a number of Americans were held hostage by extremists in Lebanon, some members of the press began referring to the Islamic Hezbollah captors as "Islamic fundamentalists." Subsequently, the term "Christian fundamentalism" has been used as a pejorative by some opponents of conservative Christianity, especially in political discussions."

(Quotes in italics are from this wikipedia page.)

So I guess many Muslim fear that if they just describe themselves as 'Muslims' they will be lumped in with what outsiders perceive to be fundamentalists (which really is now equated with terrorists and suicide bombers ...) - therefore the may feel describing themselves as 'moderate Muslims' will set them apart and describe their position as Muslims better ...

Peace

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Allah(swt) tells us not call ourselves anything but a Muslim. It doesnt matter what other so called Muslims do, theres no need to change what already exists. What does Muslim mean? One who Submits to the Will of Allah, in complete submission. So if you call yourself a moderate Muslim, its like your saying ur Muslim in a few less steps. Wake up and small the coffee! Seriously. Either your a Muslim or your not. It doesnt make sense. If I'm not mistaken, there is a member on here with that name and it totally disgusts the living day out of me when I read that anywhere. Labeling ourselves anything other than a Muslim is NOT the character of a Muslim. Why do we feel the need to change ourselves for the sake of another human when our reward will only be with Allah(swt)? Trying to appeal Islam to others in a way thats not true makes it only more dangerous.

Jahalliya on the loose!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
06-15-2007, 07:05 PM
:salamext:

Yeh, someone said once on this forum, Lets move on to Islam Version 2...I woz like WAT THE ?! :omg:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-15-2007, 07:11 PM
^^Seriously....:exhausted

Muezzin
06-15-2007, 07:20 PM
As glo said, the term has emerged to separate really violent people from.. well... normal people. It's not used exclusively in conjunction with the words 'Muslim' or 'Islam' mind you. Personally, I think we should just call other Muslims 'Muslims' and leave it at that. If you start puporsefully killing civilians and things... those actions aren't very Islamic in the first place are they?

format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Yeh, someone said once on this forum, Lets move on to Islam Version 2...I woz like WAT THE ?! :omg:
Yeah, sequels usually suck.

Unless they're the Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2 or Spider-Man 2.

*noor
06-15-2007, 10:50 PM

jazakumAllah all for replying

format_quote Originally Posted by sister-aisha
Islam is not a religion; it’s a complete way of life. You’re either a muslim or your not. I don’t understand the term ‘moderate Muslim’.

O ye who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps of the evil one; for he is to you an avowed enemy. 2:208

Say ye: "We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam)." 2:136

:w: :)
jazakillah sister for that, very well said, and great verses!

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I think the term is coming to the forefront, so people can separate themselves from those Muslims who are perceived to be 'fundamentalists'.
Thanks for replying, yeah thats the problem, people give others and themselves inaccurate labels

format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Labeling ourselves anything other than a Muslim is NOT the character of a Muslim. Why do we feel the need to change ourselves for the sake of another human when our reward will only be with Allah(swt)? Trying to appeal Islam to others in a way thats not true makes it only more dangerous.
you said it sis!!!

format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

There's only one Islam, I hope the person that said it is reading.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I think we should just call other Muslims 'Muslims' and leave it at that. If you start puporsefully killing civilians and things... those actions aren't very Islamic in the first place are they?
that's exactly how i feel

Umu 'Isa
06-16-2007, 03:22 AM
:sl: sis,
I know some people that use the term 'moderate muslims' to label those muslims that think just doing the fard is enough and those are the people that say if you do more than that you are an extremist or a wahhaabi :raging:

Example: A friend of mine is working in a bank giving out home loans, and she told some other 'moderate' muslims and my friend is like, 'i've got to leave this job its haram, it involves riba' and then those people are like, 'ahhh don't worry about it! You gotta make money somehow' :exhausted

So maybe that is what is meant by it. Well that is what i understand it to be.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-16-2007, 03:41 AM
Muslims require no labels. Its either made up things or things that have no real value or meaning that require labels. Either your a Muslim or your not. Had we needed a label Allah(swt) wouldnt have warned us of division and would not have told us to call ourselves only Muslim. Kafirs can say whatever they want, but we shouldn't fall low like them and divide. Though we may not think it sounds bad, but it makes it look like your(generally speaking) ashamed to call yourself Muslim.

evangel
06-16-2007, 04:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *noor

What in the world is a "moderate Muslim"?! Why do so many people use this term to describe some people. The term "moderate Muslim" does not make the least bit of sense because ISLAM IS ALL ABOUT MODERATION.

In a hadith narrated by Abu Hurairah, the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: "Your deen is easy. Do not go to extremes. Do your work the simple way." -Bukhari

Why don't we listen to the words of our beloved prophet? Why must we give ourselves or other Muslims the label of "moderate Muslims"? We all need to realize that there is nothing complicated about Islam so there is no need to modify or make it complicated or call anyone a "moderate Muslim."

It probably came from the press. In their efforts not to offend and be politacally correct they have come up with there own "non-label" labels, i.e.: moderate Muslims as opposed to extreme or radical Muslims.

*noor
06-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Thanks all for replying

format_quote Originally Posted by Rahmah
:sl: sis,
I know some people that use the term 'moderate muslims' to label those muslims that think just doing the fard is enough and those are the people that say if you do more than that you are an extremist or a wahhaabi :raging:
Jazakillah sister, I see what you're saying but what these people need to realize that a person is no less of a Muslim just because they only do the fard, the reward may not be the same in the end but that doesn't make them at all "moderate." And if you do more than the fard you're not an extremist, you're a Muslim but your reward may be greater inshaAllah. And i don't even know what a wahhaabi is so I can't comment on that.

format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Muslims require no labels. Its either made up things or things that have no real value or meaning that require labels. Either your a Muslim or your not. Had we needed a label Allah(swt) wouldnt have warned us of division and would not have told us to call ourselves only Muslim. Kafirs can say whatever they want, but we shouldn't fall low like them and divide. Though we may not think it sounds bad, but it makes it look like your(generally speaking) ashamed to call yourself Muslim.

Very well put Jazzy, jazakillah for posting that up and reminding everyone. We are Muslims and just because someone may do more or less for the sake of Allah does not make them any more or less of a Muslim. Allah is the only judge on that. There's no point in using these labels, as it creates division and thank you for pointing out that Allah reminds us of this in the Quran. And yes, when people call themselves so-called "moderate muslims," it does sound like they are ashamed to call themselves Muslim. I actually read an aaya and hadith on being ashamed of Islam and how Allah will be ashamed of you in return so I will look for it and post it inshaAllah as soon as I find it.

format_quote Originally Posted by evangel
It probably came from the press. In their efforts not to offend and be politacally correct they have come up with there own "non-label" labels, i.e.: moderate Muslims as opposed to extreme or radical Muslims.
Thanks for your reply. You may be right about that, it may have stemmed from the press. However, the press is usually incorrect about many things and the terms that they use are not always accurate and this is probably one of those cases. Even if the intention is to make things clearer, it just confuses many people and distorts the image of what Islam is really about.

evangel
06-16-2007, 02:55 PM
However, the press is usually incorrect about many things
You're preaching to the choir there sister. It seems that they will be in such a hurry to be the first to report on something that it's usually a couple of days after that what has really occurred is broadcast.
I think the term "BREAKING NEWS" is latin for: this isn't even close to accurate...but what the hey.

------
06-16-2007, 02:55 PM

And if you do more than the fard you're not an extremist, you're a Muslim but your reward may be greater inshaAllah.
Yeh Mashaa Allaah at the Muslims that do that :thumbs_up

evangel
06-16-2007, 03:07 PM
What is fard? Is it the the basic duties of Muslims?

*noor
06-16-2007, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by evangel
What is fard? Is it the the basic duties of Muslims?
Yeah, fard is anything that is obligatory on us and sunnah are non-obligatory things that the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to do.

We have to do all fard (obligatory things) such as testimony of faith, pray 5 times a day fast ramadan, give alms etc.

We have an option of doing sunnah [optional things that our prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) did], such as fasting on Mondays and Thursdays, praying extra prayers, eating dates upon breaking the fast, etc.

------
06-16-2007, 03:24 PM

I got bare respect for people that pray Tahajjud, because that takes some real power, mind wise... :thumbs_up

evangel
06-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, fard is anything that is obligatory on us and sunnah are non-obligatory things that the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to do.

We have to do all fard (obligatory things) such as testimony of faith, pray 5 times a day fast ramadan, give alms etc.

We have an option of doing sunnah [optional things that our prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) did], such as fasting on Mondays and Thursdays, praying extra prayers, eating dates upon breaking the fast, etc.
Jesus' sermon on the mount was similar to this. He said that following the letter of the law was just scratching the surface and that we should seek the spirit of the law which is more difficult to follow (lustful thoughts are adultery, moral condemnation is akin to murder, if something is demanded of you give even more,etc...)

Sunduss
06-16-2007, 11:29 PM
It basically means not being a part of the 'dark side' of Islam.Which if you ask me is a load of rubbish. You can never be too Muslim.After all we all wanna go Jannah right??

*noor
06-17-2007, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunduss
It basically means not being a part of the 'dark side' of Islam.Which if you ask me is a load of rubbish. You can never be too Muslim.After all we all wanna go Jannah right??

jazakillah sister for replying to this thread :)

The problem is that some people try to make it sound like Islam actually has a "dark side" by calling other Muslims or themselves "moderate Muslims."

Islam is perfect and there is no dark side. Just because a very small percentage of people that claim to be Muslims may do something horrid does not mean that their actions are reflected from Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.