/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rushdie knighted in honours list

vpb
06-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Rushdie knighted in honours list

Sir Salman was able to return to public life in 1999

Salman Rushdie, who went into hiding under threat of death after an Iranian fatwa, has been knighted by the Queen.

His book The Satanic Verses offended Muslims worldwide and a bounty was placed on his head in 1989.
But since the Indian-born author returned to public life in 1999, he has not shied away from controversy.
A devout secularist, he backed Commons Leader Jack Straw over comments on Muslim women and veils and has warned against Islamic "totalitarianism".
The son of a successful businessman, Sir Salman was born into a Muslim family in Mumbai in 1947.
He was educated in England at Rugby School and studied history at Cambridge University.

Booker prize
Following an advertising career in London, he became a full-time writer.

I am thrilled and humbled to receive this great honour

Salman Rushdie

His first novel, Grimus, was published in 1975 but was generally ignored by the book-buying public and literary establishment.
But his second effort - the magic realist novel Midnight's Children - catapulted him to literary fame.
It won the Booker Prize in 1981 and was awarded the Booker of Bookers in 1993 after being judged the best novel to have won the prize during its 25-year history.
Sir Salman, who turns 60 on 19 June, is renowned as a martyr for free speech and purveyor of story as political statement.

Death sentence
He takes history and fictionalises it, with imaginative brilliance, and much of his work is set in his native India and Pakistan.
His fourth book - The Satanic Verses in 1988 - describes a cosmic battle between good and evil and combines fantasy, philosophy and farce.
It was immediately condemned by the Islamic world because of its perceived blasphemous depiction of the prophet Muhammad.
It was banned in many countries with large Muslim communities and in 1989, Ayatollah Khomeini, Iran's spiritual leader, issued a fatwa, ordering Sir Salman's execution. It was not formally lifted until 1998.

picture removed.
Sir Salman and his actress wife Padma Lakshmi

Despite living as a virtual prisoner, with full police protection, Sir Salman continued to write and produced several novels and essays during his confinement.
His re-emergence has not been without controversy.
In backing Jack Straw over his comments on Muslim women wearing veils, Sir Salman said veils "suck" as they were a symbol of the "limitation of women".
He also weighed into the furore surrounding the Danish cartoons, which satirised the Prophet Muhammad, warning against Islamic "totalitarianism".
Of his knighthood for services to literature, Rushdie said: "I am thrilled and humbled to receive this great honour, and am very grateful that my work has been recognised in this way."

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6756149.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NobleMuslimUK
06-17-2007, 01:56 AM
:sl:
This guy is +o( and he will burn in hell Inshallah.

Malaikah
06-17-2007, 01:58 AM

^Assuming he dies in this state of kufr you mean.

Couldn't they find a more charming picture...? He looks like the face of evil man...:rollseyes

islamirama
06-17-2007, 02:22 AM
He looks like that john trovlta in that one movie where he was an alien who took over earth. The apostate is 60yrs old, he'll soon taste hell inshallah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
NobleMuslimUK
06-17-2007, 04:18 AM
Have u seen his wife she is rather attractive and very young, the qween is doing the devils work, giving nonesense worldly honors to such devils. :blind:

جوري
06-17-2007, 04:27 AM
All you really need to do to get knighted or honored in anyway is to write something Anti-Islamic... who cares anyhow, this guy is what? 50-60-70-? maybe he'll preserve himself in cryogenics and live and awesomely long life?-- sooner or later we'll all return to the grave.. let him have his glory, he won't be the first or the last heretic we've known!

August
06-17-2007, 08:00 AM
I'd think you'd have some sympathy for the guy, he spent 10 years in hiding just for something he wrote. They were going to kill him for it. Why is Islam so afraid of criticism?

Panther
06-17-2007, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
I'd think you'd have some sympathy for the guy, he spent 10 years in hiding just for something he wrote. They were going to kill him for it. Why is Islam so afraid of criticism?
Agreed. I see his knighthood as a celebration of free speech.

Malaikah
06-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Criticism is one thing, out right lies, slander, cheap shots and hate-mongering is another.

He got what he deserved and more (punishment wise I mean).

Trumble
06-17-2007, 08:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
All you really need to do to get knighted or honored in anyway is to write something Anti-Islamic...
Actually, being one of the finest novelists of the the twentieth century rather helps. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to who else you think has been knighted for writing "something Anti-Islamic" that might suggest such a pattern?

Rushdie wrote other books, and that particular one was a Booker Prize finalist. If he had not received such an honour at some stage it would be purely to pander to those who claim to be "offended" by a book they have never read and, in most cases, have no idea what they are claiming to be "offended" by. I'm delighted that that was not done.

vpb
06-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Actually, being one of the finest novelists of the the twentieth century rather helps. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to who else you think has been knighted for writing "something Anti-Islamic" that might suggest such a pattern?

Rushdie wrote other books, and that particular one was a Booker Prize finalist. If he had not received such an honour at some stage it would be purely to pander to those who claim to be "offended" by a book they have never read and, in most cases, have no idea what they are claiming to be "offended" by. I'm delighted that that was not done.
Purestambrodia is right, very right. cuz we also have Ismail Kadare, who bloody writes bad stuff about Islam, just to get nominated for nobel prize, and he was nominated , just he didn't get the prize. probably he didn't make enough as rushdie :p

Joe98
06-17-2007, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK;
This guy is +o( and he will burn in hell Inshallah.

Why????

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
The apostate ….he'll soon taste hell inshallah

Why???

vpb
06-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK;

This guy is

and he will burn in hell Inshallah.

Why????

Quote:
Originally Posted by islamirama
The apostate ….he'll soon taste hell inshallah
Why???
are u jokin? u should already have known.

Tania
06-17-2007, 10:34 AM
I read the Midnight's children and i was impressed by the action. I think he has lot of talent in writing and he bring in a very realistical light the way in which India was splited and what have ment this for the indian people.
Congratulation for him.

Bittersteel
06-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Why is Islam so afraid of criticism?
He didn't criticize.at least as far as I know he didn't.and violent action is to be expected from conservative and religious sensitive people in conservative countries.try running Deepa Mehta's movie in Gujarat or Punjab in a theater.
Islam doesn't prohibit criticism or asking of question(you should see some of the questions i asked in fatwa sites).
we got Bernard Lewis criticizing Islamic practices but not abusing or slandering and he is even respected in the Middle east.
But yes Salman Rushdie is a terrific writer.I haven't read Shalimar the Clown but immensely like the reviews and plan to read it in the future.

I see his knighthood as a celebration of free speech.
thought some Brits were setting standards and limits for free speech.You know,what's acceptable or what isn't it.

HBot 5000
06-17-2007, 12:07 PM

Don't forget to give one to Mugabe.

:w:

Karina
06-17-2007, 12:24 PM
How utterly ridiculous.

Please. Focus your pointless negative thoughts on something other than this.

Salman is a highly talented author whom has received recognition for his fictional literary contribution to our times.

It makes me so angry that you can waste your time and effort directing HATE at an author of fictional novels.

Turn your pointless hate into love and tolerance and who knows what we could achieve.
:enough!:

Malaikah
06-17-2007, 12:31 PM
I hate double stanards too. Who started the hate, Karina? He did.

Panther
06-17-2007, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aziz

thought some Brits were setting standards and limits for free speech.You know,what's acceptable or what isn't it.
I'm not one of those Brits. You can't have partial freedom of expression, it makes no sense. To say "Oh, we must set limits to avoid offending people" is to give way to censorship.

A society that has true freedom of speech suffers from problems such as BNP, or in the US, the crazy Westboro Baptist church. Do I want to silence these people? No. I recognise that, like me, they are free to say as they wish.

If it were up to those people I'd be shipped out to a desert island or executed. But, that's thier problem and not mine. I certainly wouldn't consider "Fatwa" against them, that's just disgusting and it would lower me to thier level.

Rushdie excersized his right to free speech, and he suffered and endured the ultimate price for it. For that, I respect him.

The "Fatwa" issued against him is a shame on your people.

Trumble
06-17-2007, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000
Don't forget to give one to Mugabe.
Erm, they didn't. He got an honorary one in 1994!

Karina
06-17-2007, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Ok please do explain why....... :? :)

Bittersteel
06-17-2007, 12:38 PM
true.but we Muslims should be patient and non-violent.Cartoons,books slandering Islam instead of criticizing its practices aren't to be paid attention.
I don't care about his apostasy,as long as he does not tell that "Islam sucks,praying ,beards,hijab and organisations of Muslims should be banned" or harm Muslims in anyway.which is why the death for apostasy was established in the first place.

m102313
06-17-2007, 12:38 PM

This Guy is the Devil, he will receive the worst punishment from allah. Insha'allah

:w:

Malaikah
06-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Can I please point out that it would be haram for any one of us here to kill him, or attack him or whatever.

IF indeed he is eligible for the death penalty under Islamic law it can only be implimited by the authorities, not some random Muslim.

HBot 5000
06-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Ask yourself why do christians, jews, hindus etc do not like critcism?

Islam and hence muslims encourage dialog. We do not mind constructive thoughts so we can discuss our way of life with outsiders however we draw the line at hate. SR did not invite constructive thoughts however he attacked Islam and hence in my opinion deserves what he got and certainly does not deserve this knighthood. +o(

AmarFaisal
06-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Rushdie got the "honor" from those whom he has pleased by his anti-islamic writings n views.

Hashim_507
06-17-2007, 02:39 PM
This man insulted the Quran and islam...U.K is giving message to the muslim world by honoring the devil.

Idris
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Don’t only British’s individuals get knighted?

جوري
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble

I wrote to be knighted or to receive honors in general is paved for those who write anti-Islamic Articles, it is en vogue! you really can do a simple google search, on some of the "renowned" Noble prize winners, some of the esteemed women's rights novelists who are coming to save us meek and feeble Muslim women and tie the pieces together and draw your own conclusions. I have no interest in drawing them for you, nor getting you to understand a Muslim point of view!
In fact I read many excerpts of Rushdi'es book and couldn't finish it, He offends me on many levels.
I don't see why it should bother you, that I dislike a particular fictional novelist? I didn't call for his beaheading, I stated sooner or later he is bound to go into his grave!

Zman
06-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Why is Islam so afraid of criticism?

It's about respect, not fear...

جوري
06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Many people even in the time of the prophet even demonized the character of the prophet and the companions and they were left to their devices No one persecuted them.
I don't agree that there should be a death warrant on his head, In fact I believe it serves to give him more attention than he deserves. However I am not sure what to make of giving an award to such a person, or the likes of such a person... Clearly giving out a message to the Muslims that you are not going to be tolerated by us, and expect insults as it strikes our fancy. I really believe there are many ways to get your message across, one being, "Don't feed the dog and he'll die"
This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion, let him have his glory...

- Qatada -
06-17-2007, 03:53 PM
:salamext:

Indeed, those who purchase disbelief [in exchange] for faith - never will they harm Allah at all, and for them is a painful punishment.

And let not those who disbelieve ever think that [because] We extend their time [of enjoyment] it is better for them. We only extend it for them so that they may increase in sin, and for them is a humiliating punishment.

[Qur'an 3: 177-8]

جوري
06-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Insha'Allah-- with that said, I think this thread should be closed, there is nothing more to discuss here, just more of the same, "Muslim barbarians" any Anti-Muslim sentiment, "civilized" and in the way of "free speech"

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.