/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How many times a day do you think about God

barney
06-17-2007, 04:38 PM
On average.

For atheists too! Even if you dont beleive he/she/it's there, how often do you find yourself considering?

For beleivers, I would include times you invoke his name "inshallah" or similar.

Cheers.
ill kick off by saying about 20 times.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I answered all the time because you do not have none of the above. I know I think of Him more than 50 times. I would like to think of him all of the times, but I know I don't and it would not always be proper. So although I answere all of the time because it seems to be the closest, the truth is none of the above.

wilberhum
06-18-2007, 06:18 PM
I picked 11-20, it is probably a good average. There are days that it would be 1-5 and others maybe as high as 40.

m102313
06-18-2007, 06:24 PM
:sl:

I would say most of the time, usually when i read salaat i think of allah and also when doing other forms of worship (ibadah). And usually when i am having a rest i just lye down and ponder about allah, and the day of Judgement etc.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Noor
06-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Being aware of the Creator at all times is something every Muslim strives for. It is my goal in this life that I’m mindful of the Creator and my ultimate destination frequently.

Kittygyal
06-18-2007, 06:30 PM
salamualikum.
EVERYTIME!!! without him there's nothing!!
ma'assalama

ummAbdillah
06-18-2007, 06:40 PM
:salamext:
when i sleep, when i wake up, when i pray my daily prayers,
Allu A'lam (Allah knows best) :w:

*~Sofia~*
06-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Peace,

i guess i wud say most of the time.. specially wen i see things that Allah (swt) has created.. for example when i hear the birds singing, or wen it rains, wen i look @ the fluffy clouds, flowers. Whenever i see things god has created, i remember him :)
and at other times such as: b4 goin 2 bed, eating (coz he's provided the food 4 me), and during prayers.

peace

------
06-18-2007, 06:54 PM

All the time, Alhamdulillaah (All Praise be to Allaah) :)

Khayal
06-18-2007, 06:56 PM

My every breath is due to ALLAH SWT ( Alhamdulilah!), so HE is and always will be in my thoughts every moment of my life.

Muezzin
06-18-2007, 07:13 PM
How many times a day do you think about God
G-d knows...

Yes, that was lame. I don't care.

:D

------
06-18-2007, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
G-d knows...

Yes, that was lame. I don't care.

:D

:haha:....Not :-\ :skeleton:

Trumble
06-18-2007, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
For atheists too! Even if you dont beleive he/she/it's there, how often do you find yourself considering?
I don't know, I guess I find myself contemplating the whichness of the what fairly frequently. I suppose that would translate into thinking about 'God'. Either way, in Buddhist terms, its a pretty unproductive thing to do.

Pureyemeni
06-18-2007, 08:37 PM

Allaah is watching and i try my best.

snakelegs
06-18-2007, 10:01 PM
i voted 11-20, but i really have no idea except frequently. throughout the day i feel thankful to god for my health, for the fact that i have everything i need and for the beauty around me. and when i read or watch documentaries about the many miracles in nature, i feel a deep sense of awe. and when i listen to qawwali, which i do all day long!

- Qatada -
06-18-2007, 10:04 PM

I try to remember Allaah as much as possible, and without a doubt - the ones who have the most taqwa of Him are the successful.

Remember guys, if you are sincere - Allaah will guide you. Just ask Him for it.

Allaah says:

“O My slaves, all of you are astray except those whom I guide, so ask Me for guidance, and I will guide you. O My slaves, all of you are hungry except those whom I feed, so ask me for food and I will feed you. O My slaves, all of you are naked except those whom I clothe, so ask Me for clothing and I will clothe you. … O My slaves, if the first of you and the last of you, your humans and your jinn, were to stand on a single plain and ask of Me and I were to give each one what he asked for, that would not cause any loss to Me greater than what is lost when a needle is dipped into the sea.”

Narrated by Muslim (2577).

IbnAbdulHakim
06-18-2007, 10:22 PM
assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

i dont think anything i do is absent from the remembrance of God.... but im not perfect so i forget at times.

Islam is so well taught from Allah that its implemented in such a manner in which it is impossible if practised to not always be engrossed in the remembrance of Allah.

excluding the five daily prayers we still have a prayer in remembrance for every action, bismillah being the most common example.

so for every sincere muslim the answer would very likely be "all the time" but in reality its "most of the time"

Keltoi
06-18-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't think I could come up with a number. The concept of "thinking" about God is a little abstract in my mind. God is connected to most of the things I think about in one way or another.

F@tim@
06-18-2007, 11:23 PM
id say all the time...especially because we use the words InshAllah and MashAllah etc all the tym...and then theres salah....so i suppose thats all the time!

ranma1/2
06-19-2007, 01:03 AM
i never think of a god as an actual being, but as a discussion point , quite frequently.

جوري
06-19-2007, 01:35 AM
All the time.. I had a little distressing situation recently.. and I prayed to G-D to find me a window and today he gave me a grand gilded door, it resolved to a much better outcome than I was expecting.. truly he is so very kind, tender and generous!..
and so as the verse states...
وَمَن يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَل لَّهُ مَخْرَجًا {2}
Pickthal 65:2] And whosoever keepeth his duty to Allah, Allah will appoint a way out for him

true we labor in thought and planning but Allah is the one who executes them in the best of fashions

peace!

barney
06-19-2007, 02:50 AM
I would Imagine it's not going to be a common thing on this forum, as people are here as they are religiously devoted or seeking answers, but i've seen catholics chanting hail-marys with a distinct lack of conviction as if it's a automatic thing to do. Same with crossing themselves with their hands and that kind of stuff.

Is there a a significant proportion of muslims who, when saying "Inshalla" or similar, say it automatically because it's said a lot, rather than really feeling it at the time?

Pk_#2
06-19-2007, 07:35 AM
there is no 'i don't know' option...

I hope i think of Allah (Swt) all the time

:'(

I hope.

Balthasar21
06-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Which God / Creator are you speaking of .

Rab ,
Hor-us , On '
Jehovah ,
Dios ,
Buddah , Confucius ,
Brahma ,
Shiva , Vishnu ,
Thehos ,
Tammuz ,
Baal , Adonai ,
Om , Osiris ,
Allah

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Is there a a significant proportion of muslims who, when saying "Inshalla" or similar, say it automatically because it's said a lot, rather than really feeling it at the time?

i think there are people who say it without the deep meaning but i havent met any and ive met loooooooots of muslims so its a rare thing..

the whole point of saying it is to be concious of Allah..

syilla
07-04-2007, 01:38 AM
All the time.

Need his blessings all the time...

tearsofice21
07-04-2007, 03:55 AM
I try to remember Allah swt all the time, but of course it's different every day. So Allahu 'Alam

crayon
02-12-2008, 08:50 AM
I would Imagine it's not going to be a common thing on this forum, as people are here as they are religiously devoted or seeking answers, but i've seen catholics chanting hail-marys with a distinct lack of conviction as if it's a automatic thing to do. Same with crossing themselves with their hands and that kind of stuff.

Oh yeah, definitely. Especially arabs, since islam uses a lot of arabic words.

To answer the question, a lot of the time. Not "all the time", but I chose that since it was closest. Whenever I'm about to do something, I think of my intention for doing it, making sure it's for Allah. When I see something beautiful, I think of Allah. When I do something I shouldn't, I feel remorse and think of Allah. When I do something good, I think of Allah. So basically, a LOT of the time.

Moon*Light
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM

Hmm I think my post was lost.

I didn't vote because I never counted how many times I do that, but alhamdulilah I do remember Allah SWT a lot.

FatimaAsSideqah
02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

All the times, everywhere I've went and do the things!

It eradicates all diseases from heart, produces in it the love of Allah and creates the consciousness of His Greatness; it brings us divine peace and satisfaction. Allah the Almighty Himself asked us to remember Him as much as possible. Says the Holy Quran:

" O ye who believes remember Allah very often and glorify Him morning and evening." (33:41-2)

Allah Hafiz
Sister Fatima

Muezzin
02-12-2008, 04:03 PM

I, like a lot of other people who may be tired or otherwise not in a particularly positive mood for whatever reason, have said things like 'Thank you' and 'Sorry' without really meaning it. Does that rob those words of their meaning?

Pygoscelis
02-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Just a side note. Saying "Oh my God" doesn't make you a believer, no more than saying "Holy Cow!" makes you a hindu or "By Jove" makes you a greek pagan. :)

Muezzin
02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I sometimes wish saying "Eat my shorts" makes you Bart Simpson.

Anyway, interesting thread. I think some people believe in God so much that they just take His presence for granted. Ironically, they don't think enough about Him.

Other people, who don't believe in God, frequently think about His existence, probably more frequently than the kind of religious people I've described above. I love irony.

But not ironing.

IslamiCompare
02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I voted! depending on days... on average 11-20 times a day.

Whatsthepoint
02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Whenever I log on to islamicboard.com.

Qurratul Ayn
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Peace

I voted for 21 - 50 times. I wish I remembered God all the time but things get in the way and I try to think about God as much as I can within a day.

Peace to all

AvarAllahNoor
03-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Sikhs are told we should remember God at ALL times. Reciting the Mool Mantra (Sikh Prayer) & saying Waheguru (God)

Eric H
04-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Greetings and peace be with you barney,

I would have to say not often enough, and it is certainly very easy to go into auto mode when praying at times. I feel that God understands our weakness and still listens to our prayers.

Barney, you and the other agnostics have surprised me by saying you think of God about twenty times a day, that seems more than some believers might think about God.

What is stopping you from becoming a true believer, rather than agnostic?

In the spirit of searching for God.

Eric

Ghira
04-11-2008, 05:19 AM
Honestly, I think about Allah (swt) and His Messenger all the time. I am not saying I am very good, far from it. It is just I am amazed at what I witness, the things I learn, and most importantly the things I am truly grateful for. Great thread!!

Prophet (saw) said the difference between those who remember Allah and those who do not is like the difference between the living and the dead.

barney
04-11-2008, 05:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H

I would have to say not often enough, and it is certainly very easy to go into auto mode when praying at times. I feel that God understands our weakness and still listens to our prayers.

Barney, you and the other agnostics have surprised me by saying you think of God about twenty times a day, that seems more than some believers might think about God.

What is stopping you from becoming a true believer, rather than agnostic?

In the spirit of searching for God.

Eric

I consider myself a true beleiver.
If you mean why dont i beleive in any religion, the simple answer is scripture.
I beleive in a God. But i am without knowlage if it still exists, can interact with us and a thousand other things. :)

peace.

Eric H
04-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Greetings and peace be with you barney;
I beleive in a God. But i am without knowlage if it still exists,
It is all about faith or trust. I trust that I am the father of my child; but I have no proof; my wife could have had an affair; I am not with her 24 / 7.

In order for me to have a loving relationship with my wife, I have to be able to trust her without proof. I could ask for a DNA check but that would in a way destroy my trust in my wife. Even if the DNA test proved my fatherhood, it could still lead me to think I constantly need proof of her fidelity. She could still be going out having an affair and use contraception.

It is the same with God; in order to have a loving relationship with God; you need to be able to trust in him without proof.
If you mean why dont i beleive in any religion, the simple answer is scripture.
This might be because you are looking for the worst interpretation of scripture, like stoning people for their crimes. In doing so you might be overlooking the merciful and forgiving nature of God.

In the spirit of searching for a loving God

Eric

barney
04-12-2008, 05:51 AM

It is all about faith or trust. I trust that I am the father of my child; but I have no proof; my wife could have had an affair; I am not with her 24 / 7.

In order for me to have a loving relationship with my wife, I have to be able to trust her without proof. I could ask for a DNA check but that would in a way destroy my trust in my wife. Even if the DNA test proved my fatherhood, it could still lead me to think I constantly need proof of her fidelity. She could still be going out having an affair and use contraception.

It is the same with God; in order to have a loving relationship with God; you need to be able to trust in him without proof.

This might be because you are looking for the worst interpretation of scripture, like stoning people for their crimes. In doing so you might be overlooking the merciful and forgiving nature of God.

In the spirit of searching for a loving God

Eric
With you on the first part. Thats why I'm a beleiver in a creating force, which i call God.
I have at times tried to communicate with it and got less than nowhere.
i look at the evidence of the world around me and see no interactions going on between a creator and mankind, or at least not between one that can do anything and mankind.
therefore I have to assume that it no longer exists or cant be reached.

As to the second part, Theres one of my posts where I ream off a huge cut and paste of all the malevolent actions of god in the bible, and I weigh that up with all the good actions. Stating that God loves children is inconsistant with setting bears on them to kill them.

I forget which post it was now, and i gotta dash, but i'll link it later. :)

Cheers, and peace.

TrueStranger
04-12-2008, 06:11 AM

Believe it or not I have been thinking about Allah non-stop. Even when I am walking I alter the words, subhan’Allah, Alhamdulillah, Allah Akbaar, and Subhan Allahi wa bihamdihi with every step I take. I always try to ask for forgiveness for not remembering Allah at times, and I even neglect some of my work and college assignments so I can go read the Quran, pray sunnah, listen to some lectures, watch some Islamic videos and somehow thanks to Allah I am able to do my college assignments and go to work. But Allah comes before all, and I have made that quite clear to myself, least I forget it.

I’m just disappointed that I am just doing this right now, how many years have I missed out, how many months, how many weeks, how many days, how many hours…..it is endless. So in other words I am running towards Allah while some might be walking.

Eric H
04-21-2008, 06:18 AM
i look at the evidence of the world around me and see no interactions going on between a creator and mankind
In order to believe and trust in God you have to do something.

If you were to do something that seemed dangerous, you might do a risk assessment and put all kinds of safety measures in place to reduce the chances of harm to yourself and others. If the activity seemed too risky you might not do it.

I have mentioned it once before but recently I have become a Street Pastor and this does not involve preaching. We go out in groups of two into the community on a Friday night being where gangs, drunks, drugs, vandals and troubled people are, in the hope of bringing about some kind of peace.

I am 59 and my partner is 65, we put our trust in prayer and in God. The first night we went out we realised we did not have a phone, but we decided to keep going and trust that God is with us. Our confidence came knowing there was a prayer team at the church praying for our needs and the needs of the community.

In ways that you may not understand, I can only say that I feel the presence of God working in my life.

In the spirit of praying for faith in a loving God,

Eric

barney
04-21-2008, 08:15 PM
recently I have become a Street Pastor and this does not involve preaching. We go out in groups of two into the community on a Friday night being where gangs, drunks, drugs, vandals and troubled people are, in the hope of bringing about some kind of peace.

Eric
Owch! You be careful out there Eric.

arabianprincess
04-22-2008, 05:33 AM
well honestly i dont know ... peace

Eric H
04-22-2008, 05:37 AM
Owch! You be careful out there Eric
In some ways being cautious is a real dilemma.

Two weeks ago a couple of our guys came across a bunch of youths fighting, they decided to be careful and called the police.

Last week when I went out, I came across one of these guys who admitted he was involved in the fight. He brought up the fact that the police had been called to the fight by the Street Pastors and he then seemed reluctant to talk to us further.

My reflections on the matter cause me trouble, if I had come across the same fight would I have put my trust in the police or in God? If I am to put my trust in God it involves taking a risk myself.

I cannot truthfully say what I would have done in the same situation, but it has left me feeling that calling the police is a sense that we have failed.

In the spirit of praying for a renewed faith in God;

Eric

glo
04-22-2008, 07:49 AM
I enjoy reading your Street Pastor stories, Eric. It's such a worthwhile thing to do.

How is the street pastor role fitting in with that of the police? Do the two work well together, or can there be conflicts of interest?

glo
04-22-2008, 07:53 AM
With reagrds to the original question, I wonder how meaningful it is to 'think' about God all day long.
What do we all mean by 'thinking about God'?

Being aware of God's presence and workings in our lives, and living according to his will, seem much more meaningful.

barney
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Aye. For me thinking about God is considering the possibilities, the questions of what God is.
I imagine that a theist is going to be thinking in a totally different way, because they know what God is (to the extent that its permissable) and spend their thought time in praise and gratitude or asking for assistence.

Although ive asked for assistance and offered gratitude a few times, the vast proportion of my aggytime is spent picking over the conundrums. :)

glo
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Aye. For me thinking about God is considering the possibilities, the questions of what God is.
I imagine that a theist is going to be thinking in a totally different way, because they know what God is (to the extent that its permissable) and spend their thought time in praise and gratitude or asking for assistence.

Although ive asked for assistance and offered gratitude a few times, the vast proportion of my aggytime is spent picking over the conundrums. :)
I reckon God likes to keep you on your toes, Barney! :D

Abdul Fattah
04-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Just remember, a lot of people might have paved those paths before you, so don't be afraid to bring these conundrums up (which I reckon you did anyway, but thought I should still say ^_^)
BTW, I can still spend hours thinking over things to, so in that sense reverting didn't stop that.

barney
04-29-2008, 01:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
so don't be afraid to bring these conundrums up (which I reckon you did anyway, but thought I should still say ^_^)
Thats why I'm here!
BTW, I can still spend hours thinking over things to, so in that sense reverting didn't stop that
Yipes! I thought reverting stopped all that and things not known were just put in Allahs hands?

Abdul Fattah
04-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Thats why I'm here!
Yipes! I thought reverting stopped all that and things not known were just put in Allahs hands?
Not really no, although I do keep that as last resort now, I'm still far to curious in nature ^_^

glo
04-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Just remember, a lot of people might have paved those paths before you, so don't be afraid to bring these conundrums up (which I reckon you did anyway, but thought I should still say ^_^)
BTW, I can still spend hours thinking over things to, so in that sense reverting didn't stop that.
I agree with you, Abdul Fattah.
All my life I have been encouraged to question and to learn. How can I stop now?

Following my faith has not made me stop thinking, wondering, questioning ...
In many way I think that's an important part of my walk with God and my growth in faith.
If my faith cannot stand up to my questions, then is it faith at all???

Yes, there are things which I just 'put on the shelf', saying "Lord, I don't understand this. Please show me when the time is right."
Perhaps God reveals his wisdoms, as we grow spiritually mature enough to receive them.

Salaam :)

ddz
05-05-2008, 12:20 AM
All the time or even once, I think you can infroce the saying 'quality over quantity' i think even if you just think of God once during a day, and show you need his guidance, ask for his help, or even just talk to him, its equally as effective as someone thinking about God all day.. even if you think about God all day, it depends on the quality in my opinion.

john316
06-24-2008, 08:38 PM
for those who think about whom you believe to be your creator I would like to get into some discussions and know a lot aout your devotion to whom you believe to be God. my display name is john316 as you know so if you can find me where ever I am discussing some topics you can feel free to buzz in cause I expect the best and most accurate info abt islam to come from you guys.

thx.

Eeman
07-02-2008, 01:27 AM
God is my bestfriend...

but its a weird friendship between me and Him, cos i need Him all the time, i bug Him all the time, I nag and nag and nag at Him all the time.

i sit there and talk to Him all the time and it is always a one way conversation cos He is always the one that listens and i talk, the thing i love about Him the most is that He is always there for me.

there's times i make Him angry and He teaches me a lesson, there's times where He tests my friendship and makes things hard for me.

But there is not a single day that i can go on without my bestfriend, not a single hour without no mention of Him. He is always with me.

My bestfriend, al Wadud.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.