/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Calories Burned in Prayer

vpb
06-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Calories Burned in Prayer

Last week at the sports medicine conference, I talked to a researcher from Kuwait University. Dr. Jasem Ramadan presented a lovely little study called Bioenergetics of Islamic Prayers, measuring the amount of oxygen and calories the physical movements of the prayers burned.

Five standard prayers (Salat) are mandatory every day for every adult male and female Muslim. Each prayer has a continuous sequence of body movements (Rakkas) consisting of standing, bowing, kneeling and sitting. Each Rakka lasts between 3 and 6 minutes. Dr. Ramadan looked at the energy cost of two and four Rakka prayers in thirty-two male and female adults. He found that Salats have a positive effect on metabolic function. For an 80 kg person, energy cost of daily prayers was about 80 calories a day, and could be considered a form of physical activity that enhances fitness.

Dr. Ramadan told me, "The prayers have been done for thousands of years and no one thinks about it as physical exercise." I told him I think that often. I told him that Russian Orthodox prayer was pretty physical. A liturgy lasts hours, done standing and continuously crossing yourself from the floor in a squat to high overhead. Everyone including the oldest people do this, up and down, and up and down, and up and down, stretching and squatting, reaching and bending. I always thought it was group community health activity, probably found long ago to be protective against many ailments (and attributed divinely). The original yogas were the same, reaching upward to exalt the heavens, bowing, kneeling, prostrating, rising, over and over.

I told Dr. Ramadan that many Westerners aren't comfortably able to do the kneeling Rakka shown in Healthy Toe Stretches or rise to a stand without using their hands, as in the post Quick and Easy Strength and Balance Exercise, not only the elderly, but the rest of the population too.

He seemed surprised and interested. I told him I believed that this lack of basic human movement for real daily life was a major contributor to the epidemic numbers of people who are too weak and unstable to get up unassisted, to walk without canes and walkers, have trouble taking stairs, have poor balance, and for much knee and hip pain and degeneration. Dr. Ramadan said that elders in his country do not suffer knee and hip arthritis in high numbers, and can easily rise from the floor into their old age. I told him that many Westerners are familiar with a device that is worn, with a button to press for help if they cannot get up from the floor or chair. At this point, he was sure I was kidding.

If you cannot get up from the floor or low chair easily without using your hands, you likely have dangerously decreased leg strength and balance. Use good bending to strengthen your legs and knees many times a day and improve your fitness, explained in the post How Often Should You Be Healthy? Use healthy movement every day to sit, rise, bend right, clean, garden, give thanks, stretch, take stairs, and play to get healthy functional exercise, and prevent common joint pain. That is fitness as a lifestyle.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
06-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for article akhi.. would rep you but alas, I have been stripped of my powers lol..
Indeed prayer has many benefits sobhan Allah.. many of it psychological as well as physical. Prayers in fact are known to increase your brain serotonin levels, very much like an SSRIs, which are the number one medications prescribed for depression.. only your body does it naturally without the harmful side affects...So one can think of prayers not just in the obvious immediate gratification of being close to G-D and having a continuous relationship with him, but as good for both heart, mind and soul!
I was a little emotionally upset not five minutes ago, and after making prayer, Sobhan Allah, I feel my "upset-ness" washed away... dissolved, like it was all for nothing.
Everything Allah has prescribed for us, indeed has more than one obvious purpose.
:w:

glo
06-17-2007, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I was a little emotionally upset not five minutes ago, and after making prayer, I feel my "upset-ness" washed away... dissolved, like it was all for nothing.
:
Prayer has that effect on me very often too ... it never ceases to amaze me how God just removes our fears and troubles! :statisfie

vpb
06-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Prayer has that effect on me very often too ... it never ceases to amaze me how God just removes our fears and troubles!

I think it's about the prostration, it's really interesting, bc once you are in a prostration, you just feel different , your body gets like packed.

sometimes when I'm tired and when I prostrate, I just want to stay for longer , cuz it makes me feel better. lol

Allah is All-wise :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-18-2007, 06:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
I think it's about the prostration, it's really interesting, bc once you are in a prostration, you just feel different , your body gets like packed.

sometimes when I'm tired and when I prostrate, I just want to stay for longer , cuz it makes me feel better. lol

Although I don't follow prescribed movements during prayer, as Muslims do, I often find that I adopt in my posture the way I feel in relation to God ...

I may 'stand in his presence', or I may kneel before him with a request.
I may raise my hands in worship, or I may cup my hands in receipt of his blessings.
I bow to him in adoration, or I may just sit chatting with him.
But my utter and complete humility and brokeness I express when I lie prostrate before him - and I agree, vpb, to confess your own weakness and helplessness, and to submit to God in such a way is a very powerful thing to do.

The important thing, however, is to feel it in your heart - the bodily posture is just an external expression of how we feel ...

Peace :)

Periwinkle18
06-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Subhan Allah now i know prayer has many benefits.Thanks for the good article :)

.:Mustapha:.
06-19-2007, 02:43 AM
Subhan'Allah. Thanks for the info bro.

vpb
06-19-2007, 07:45 PM
The important thing, however, is to feel it in your heart - the bodily posture is just an external expression of how we feel ...
when u see your self prostrating, and men on your left and right side, you see how humiliated you get in front of Allah az. :) it's da best feeling.

Fishman
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
many Westerners aren't comfortably able to do the kneeling Rakka shown in Healthy Toe Stretches

:sl:
I have this problem, I can't bend my toes back and sit on them like the rest of the people in the Masjid do, I have to put the back of my toes to the floor instead.
:(

vpb
06-19-2007, 09:24 PM

I have this problem, I can't bend my toes back and sit on them like the rest of the people in the Masjid do, I have to put the back of my toes to the floor instead.
You'll get used to it :) dont worry :)

H4RUN
06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
[/LEFT]

Yes akhi, inshaAllah you'll get used to it, i couldnt either, but gradually after time i done it, although it didnt look like all the rest of the people cos it still felt awkward, i carried on trying until it hurt too much...and alhumdulillah some how i jus got used to it, got that much more flexible i guess:D

saira-k
06-19-2007, 10:21 PM
oo interesting

ummAbdillah
06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
:salamext:
salah has every benefit MashAllah :)

HBot 5000
06-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Very interesting :)

nocturne
06-25-2007, 09:47 AM

Prostrating is something very powerful and its only meant for Allah (s.w.t). I totally agree, it makes u feel relaxed and makes u like,i need not worry about problems in dunia, allah (s.w.t) will take care of me and my problems.

About bending the toes, it really hurts now and i have stopped doing it. Maybe i should continue till my toes are flexible. One should start with the toe-bend when one is young, the older u go, the harder it gets.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.
al hamduliah prayer has that affect. i used to enter the prayer feeling a little full (which is probably not good, because it tends to impact your concentration negatively-im talking about over eating here), then i would exist it feeling back to normal.

but anyways my intentions of this post were to just to advice everyone not to pray because it is good for diet, etc, but to pray because it has been prescribed. thats not to accuse anyone of praying with that intention or anything....

vpb
06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
but anyways my intentions of this post were to just to advice everyone not to pray because it is good for diet, etc, but to pray because it has been prescribed. thats not to accuse anyone of praying with that intention or anything....
Of course, :) prayer is prescribed to worship Allah, but we were just discussing the features of prayer in terms of physical health :)

and don't eat too much ;D lollll

peacechaser
06-27-2007, 11:17 AM

Jazakallah for the article. However, just because we're Muslim and maybe we're lazy, don't rely on it too much as a sport. Since I've acknowledged that shalat make us fit, my awareness to train my body was decreased. The result, my body health is decreased temporarily. Well, you should do your intensive sport to gain health. I just want you to know that, don't be like that, thought maybe I'm the only one. :-[

vpb
06-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Jazakallah for the article. However, just because we're Muslim and maybe we're lazy, don't rely on it too much as a sport. Since I've acknowledged that shalat make us fit, my awareness to train my body was decreased. The result, my body health is decreased temporarily. Well, you should do your intensive sport to gain health. I just want you to know that, don't be like that, thought maybe I'm the only one.
sis/bro , nobody is saying to leave sports and just pray in order to make us fit. No, that's not the reason why we do salat. But I was just trying to show the physical benefits of salat, it doesn't mean that the physical exercise is the purpose of salat.

Why do muslims always confuse things? :p

Yanal
06-28-2007, 04:31 AM
sis/bro , nobody is saying to leave sports and just pray in order to make us fit. No, that's not the reason why we do salat. But I was just trying to show the physical benefits of salat, it doesn't mean that the physical exercise is the purpose of salat.

Why do muslims always confuse things? :p
Yeh no one is sis/bro if you leave sports to tell ya the turth you will become fat and lazy and proberly never get up on sports again

piXie
06-28-2007, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
[/LEFT]

Ask one of the brothers in the masjid to show u how to position yourself in a way tht is possible to do tht.

But if u are still unable to do it, then dont worry insha'Allah.
Allah is All-Merciful and knows ur intention.

- IqRa -
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM
SubhanAllaah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.