PDA

View Full Version : BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|

Pk_#2
06-19-2007, 06:44 AM
In the Name of God The Most Kind

Peace be upon those who follow guidance,

"I am both Muslim and Christian" By Janet I. Tu
Seattle Times religion reporter

Shortly after noon on Fridays, the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding ties on a black headscarf, preparing to pray with her Muslim group on First Hill.
On Sunday mornings, Redding puts on the white collar of an Episcopal priest.

She does both, she says, because she's Christian and Muslim.
Redding, who until recently was director of faith formation at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral, has been a priest for more than 20 years. Now she's ready to tell people that, for the last 15 months, she's also been a Muslim — drawn to the faith after an introduction to Islamic prayers left her profoundly moved.

Her announcement has provoked surprise and bewilderment in many, raising an obvious question: How can someone be both a Christian and a Muslim?
But it has drawn other reactions too. Friends generally say they support her, while religious scholars are mixed: Some say that, depending on how one interprets the tenets of the two faiths, it is, indeed, possible to be both. Others consider the two faiths mutually exclusive.

"There are tenets of the faiths that are very, very different," said Kurt Fredrickson, director of the doctor of ministry program at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, Calif. "The most basic would be: What do you do with Jesus?"

Christianity has historically regarded Jesus as the son of God and God incarnate, both fully human and fully divine. Muslims, though they regard Jesus as a great prophet, do not see him as divine and do not consider him the son of God.

"I don't think it's possible" to be both, Fredrickson said, just like "you can't be a Republican and a Democrat."

Redding, who will begin teaching the New Testament as a visiting assistant professor at Seattle University this fall, has a different analogy: "I am both Muslim and Christian, just like I'm both an American of African descent and a woman. I'm 100 percent both."

Redding doesn't feel she has to resolve all the contradictions. People within one religion can't even agree on all the details, she said. "So why would I spend time to try to reconcile all of Christian belief with all of Islam?
"At the most basic level, I understand the two religions to be compatible. That's all I need."

She says she felt an inexplicable call to become Muslim, and to surrender to God — the meaning of the word "Islam."

"It wasn't about intellect," she said. "All I know is the calling of my heart to Islam was very much something about my identity and who I am supposed to be.

"I could not not be a Muslim."

Redding's situation is highly unusual. Officials at the national Episcopal Church headquarters said they are not aware of any other instance in which a priest has also been a believer in another faith. They said it's up to the local bishop to decide whether such a priest could continue in that role.

Redding's bishop, the Rt. Rev. Vincent Warner, says he accepts Redding as an Episcopal priest and a Muslim, and that he finds the interfaith possibilities exciting. Her announcement, first made through a story in her diocese's newspaper, hasn't caused much controversy yet, he said.

Some local Muslim leaders are perplexed.

Being both Muslim and Christian — "I don't know how that works," said Hisham Farajallah, president of the Islamic Center of Washington.
But Redding has been embraced by leaders at the Al-Islam Center of Seattle, the Muslim group she prays with.

"Islam doesn't say if you're a Christian, you're not a Muslim," said programming director Ayesha Anderson. "Islam doesn't lay it out like that."
Redding believes telling her story can help ease religious tensions, and she hopes it can be a step toward her dream of creating an institute to study Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

"I think this thing that's happened to me can be a sign of hope," she said.

Read more: HERE

SOURCE: seattle times

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
06-20-2007, 12:05 AM
edit

Woodrow
06-20-2007, 12:08 AM
A little difficult for me to understand. However, with what I know of the Episcopalian Church I can see how an Episcopalian would see no need for any theological disagreement between and Episcopalian and Islam.

The difficulty will arise in how her Muslim beliefs can agree with her Episcopalian beliefs.

If memory serves me Episcopalians are not bound to accept the Trinity as fact and some see the concept more as a Metaphor.

the question will be if she is willing to accept the authority of the Qur'an and Ahadith over the Bible and Church doctrine.

Keltoi
06-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Seems a little odd to me too. The question of Christ seems to be a barrier that cannot be simply overlooked. Neither Christians or Muslims can simply pretend this essential theological question doesn't divide us, but that doesn't mean Christians and Muslims can't work together to do God's work and try to improve our world...instead of destroying it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
06-20-2007, 12:24 AM
in the beginnings of christianity, was jesus considered divine or human?
if human, there should be no major problem - a person could just "revert" back to early (pure) christianity.

Woodrow
06-20-2007, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
if human, there should be no major problem - a person could just "revert" back to early (pure) christianity.
I would say that is in accordance with how we believe as Muslims. We know that Isa(as) was given the Injil and that He is a true prophet, so the early Christians would have had the same basic believes as we do.

Joe98
06-20-2007, 02:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
According to thje apostles he was a man

Christains believe he rose from the dead and that the apostles saw him after he rose from the dead.

At this point, according, to christians, apostles believed he was the son of god and not a man.

Therefore early christains believed he was divine.

-

Keltoi
06-20-2007, 04:35 AM
There is no doubt that the disciples of Christ believed He was divine, that is why Christianity is a religion. However, in so far as both Muslims and Christians follow Christ's teachings, there is room for cooperation there.

August
06-20-2007, 05:00 AM
No offense to any Episcopalians out there, but this could only happen with one of their ministers. Some branches of that church have departed so far from the original Christian faith that one of their priests becoming a Muslim while still ministering in their church is simply not a surprise. Islam and Christianity are mutually exclusive. If Jesus was the Son of God, then Muhammad was a false prophet. If Jesus was not the Son of God, then Christianity would be wrong. The religions simply can't be combined like she's trying to do.

Bittersteel
06-20-2007, 05:09 AM
odd.really odd.I hope she didn't do this in order to get attention.

doorster
06-20-2007, 05:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
No offense to any Episcopalians out there, but this could only happen with one of their ministers. Some branches of that church have departed so far from the original Christian faith that one of their priests becoming a Muslim while still ministering in their church is simply not a surprise. Islam and Christianity are mutually exclusive. If Jesus was the Son of God, then Muhammad was a false prophet. If Jesus was not the Son of God, then Christianity would be wrong. The religions simply can't be combined like she's trying to do.
do think that LC would be a more suitable name for this place than LI?

glo
06-20-2007, 06:33 AM
This was my reply regarding this article in another forum.
For the sake of time, I will copy and paste it here. (Sorry to anybody who has seen it already)

"The main question for this woman is who she thinks Jesus is?
A controversial guy with a message, a prophet from God, or God himself?

Whilst this may be an attempt to highlight the similarities between the monotheistic faiths (and that's a good thing, in my opinion), it's the above question which ultimately separates the three.

If she believes that Jesus is God, her beliefs cannot possibly be compatible with Islamic teachings.
If she doesn't believe that Jesus is God ... well, then her Christian faith may be questionable anyway ..."

Peace

Malaikah
06-20-2007, 08:05 AM
:sl:

She is on her way, may Allah guide her! :)

north_malaysian
06-20-2007, 09:05 AM
There are some religious groups that incorporated both Islam and Christianity in Indonesia. Example:- Krislam (Kristian + Islam = Krislam), Krislapi (Kristian + ISlam + Theosopi) etc.

Woodrow
06-20-2007, 02:41 PM
:sl:

I wish I had the answers. Perhaps that since Islam is gaining acceprtance into the Western World there is a temporary need for some type of "Half way" house to serve as a door to introduce Islam to Christians.

I do not know, but I do know that whatever the purpose it is only possible through the Will of Allah(swt) May, the true seekers find what they are so desperately seeking.

SATalha
06-20-2007, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
do think that LC would be a more suitable name for this place than LI?
Why do you say that?

Anyway this very strange, surely beliefs will contradict? Do these type of Christians believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) was God? (although he never made that claim)

Amadeus85
06-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I read this article before in IslamOnline. And from that article i remember how that woman said that for her Jesus is divine just as every human is divine and child of God. In conclusion - typical New Age stuff.
Episcopal Church is the same that allows homosexual marriages and gay ministries, so no wonder that this woman is one of them.
You cant be both christian and muslim. Because if islam is true, then christianity is just a very old but misunerstood fairytale.
And if you are a christian , Muhammed was a historical person, arabs' leader and army chief. but not prophet of God.

Woodrow
06-20-2007, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
I read this article before in IslamOnline. And from that article i remember how that woman said that for her Jesus is divine just as every human is divine and child of God. In conclusion - typical New Age stuff.
Episcopal Church is the same that allows homosexual marriages and gay ministries, so no wonder that this woman is one of them.
You cant be both christian and muslim. Because if islam is true, then christianity is just a very old but misunerstood fairytale.
And if you are a christian , Muhammed was a historical person, arabs' leader and army chief. but not prophet of God.
Oddly, I would say that if Christianity were truly followed, the people who call themselves Christian would be calling themselves Muslim as Jesus(as) brought the same message that was revealed to Muhammad(PBUH) Jesus(as) revealed it for the people of his place and time.

Muezzin
06-20-2007, 06:36 PM
All I can say is there's a bestseller to be made of this.

Maybe.

HBot 5000
06-20-2007, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
This was my reply regarding this article in another forum.
For the sake of time, I will copy and paste it here. (Sorry to anybody who has seen it already)

"The main question for this woman is who she thinks Jesus is?
A controversial guy with a message, a prophet from God, or God himself?

Whilst this may be an attempt to highlight the similarities between the monotheistic faiths (and that's a good thing, in my opinion), it's the above question which ultimately separates the three.

If she believes that Jesus is God, her beliefs cannot possibly be compatible with Islamic teachings.
If she doesn't believe that Jesus is God ... well, then her Christian faith may be questionable anyway ..."

Peace

agreed

Amadeus85
06-20-2007, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Oddly, I would say that if Christianity were truly followed, the people who call themselves Christian would be calling themselves Muslim as Jesus(as) brought the same message that was revealed to Muhammad(PBUH) Jesus(as) revealed it for the people of his place and time.
I have a question for you- how many Jews did Isa ( the muslim one from Quaran) achieved to convert to islam and are there any historical references about that ?

Woodrow
06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I have a question for you- how many Jews did Isa ( the muslim one from Quaran) achieved to convert to islam and are there any historical references about that ?
The true Apostles of Jesus(as) did submit to the will of Allah(swt) . Since they were submitting to the true God(swt) they were Muslims. So count the true apostles, desciples and true followers of Jesus(as) and you will know how many Jews followed him into Islam. (Surrender to God(swt))

Jesus(as) never followed Christianity, he was not a Christian. He was a true Believer and sumitted to God(swt) and to no other God(swt) He followed and taught the path of Islam.

Amadeus85
06-20-2007, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The true Apostles of Jesus(as) did submit to the will of Allah(swt) . Since they were submitting to the true God(swt) they were Muslims. So count the true apostles, desciples and true followers of Jesus(as) and you will know how many Jews followed him into Islam. (Surrender to God(swt))

Jesus(as) never followed Christianity, he was not a Christian. He was a true Believer and sumitted to God(swt) and to no other God(swt) He followed and taught the path of Islam.
Do jewish historical documents say about muslim Isa or about Jesus Christ ?
Do jewish sources mention about the converts to new monotheistic faith islam after muslim Isa death?
Do any other ( roman?) sources say about muslim Isa and converts to islam among Jews?

Keltoi
06-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Do jewish sources mention about the converts to new monotheistic faith islam after muslim Isa death?
Do any other ( roman?) sources say about muslim Isa and converts to islam among Jews?
The historical answer is no. The only Roman elusion to Christ comes from Tacitus, who states that a "Messiah of the Jews" was crucified and that the region was troubled. I believed he referred to Christ as "Christus", and then goes on to blame Christian converts for the fire in Rome.

sojourner
06-21-2007, 04:52 AM
Interesting...this article about a person combining Islam and Christianity is getting the same reaction from both Muslims and Christians.

cihad
06-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think you can be truly christian or truly muslim like this

Woodrow
06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad
I don't think you can be truly christian or truly muslim like this
Agreed the person would be of one than the other and the would they have the most belief in would negate the possibility of being the other. At least in todays definition of Christianity.

Keltoi
06-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm always amused when people refer to "today's version" of Christianity, as if the core principles of Christianity were somehow altered during the days of the early church. Ask for some form of proof, you are given links to Arianism, a heresy. Ask for more, they point to the Council of Nicaea, as if this group of church leaders suddenly decided to change the core principles of Christianity in order to please Constantine or some such nonsense.

The reason you cannot be a Muslim and a Christian at the same time is because of Jesus Christ. No believing Christian can accept Christ and the teachings of Muhammed at the same time. It simply isn't possible. The core doctrine of Christianity has always been, and will always be, that Jesus Christ was and is God incarnate, and that His death and Resurrection paved the way to eternal salvation. Any belief that deviates from that core principle is not Christianity, was not Christianity, and never will be Christianity. Other than that, both faiths have alot to agree on.

Abdul Fattah
06-21-2007, 02:51 PM
See you're confused , you're to hung up on the word "islam" maybe Eesa (peace be upon him) didn't use that word, but Islam is the path he preached. And the jewish documents don't deny that, and the bible doesn' deny that, it's only the priest and reverants and such who make their own religion of it and deny that.

glo
06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
See you're confused , you're to hung up on the word "islam" maybe Eesa (peace be upon him) didn't use that word, but Islam is the path he preached. And the jewish documents don't deny that, and the bible doesn' deny that, it's only the priest and reverants and such who make their own religion of it and deny that.
Greetings, Steve

It occurs to me that you can replace the word Islam with Christianity in your post and make a good Christian argument (one that has been had in other threads before now):

"See you're confused , you're to hung up on the word "Christianity". Maybe Jesus didn't use that word, but Christianity is the path he preached. And the jewish documents don't deny that, and the bible doesn't deny that, it's only the imans and reverants and such who make their own religion of it and deny that ..." :)

Peace

Cognescenti
06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
You know...that is an interesting idea. I have never heard it presented that way.

It is hard to argue with service to the poor, forgiveness, love of your fellow man...etc etc. There are more than a few parallels between Islam and Christianity.

Put together the Muslim concept of surrender to God and the Christian idea of forgiveness and service to the poor (of any description) and we might have a nicer world. Of course, nobody would want to be lawyers and CEO's

Hashim_507
06-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Well a person cant be muslim and christian the same time; its kind of shirk to associete with another religion..May Allah guide her...:)

Pk_#2
06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
Well a person cant be muslim and christian the same time; its kind of shirk to associete with another religion..May Allah guide her...:)
Ameen.

Thanks for all your comments, nice to see your views.

Peace :)

crayon
10-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Interesting read..
Reminded me of "life of pi" if anyone has read it.. the protagonist is an indian teen who considers himself muslim, chrisitan, and hindu, all at the same time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.