/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question on Brain Neglect

mustafaisb
06-23-2007, 10:15 PM
:salamext: I know someone who doesn't study or read, goes outside and hangs out with his friends all day, chats on aol instant messenger a lot, and watches t.v. a lot. I know this person will be vastly unqualified to become a college student, which he soon will be. He has been like this for most of his life. So I was wondering will his brain not comprehend a lot of the material he will encounter in college. He finished high school but that was because he went to an alternative school which was shockingly easy. A 14 yr old could've taken the class and got his high school diploma. I was just wondering if any of you have any research articles or something. This has been on my mind for quite some time now and I really want to solve it. :wasalamex Jazakallah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Sadly that is a very common thing. Many teenagers have become in love with the secular world and the concept of instant gratification.

This is nothing new. it seems that the more available education becomes the more the kids toss the opportunity away. Not too long ago each person had to fight for the opportunity to go to college. Less than 10% of the population ever got the chance to apply and of those who applied less than half would be accepted.

Today everybody has the chance to apply. Most will be accepted at one school or another. But, less are now serious about college and seem to accept it to be automatic with no work involved.

Some like that will get into college, but their chance of keeping a passing grade is very slim. Their future is very dim.

mustafaisb
06-23-2007, 10:32 PM
:salamext: Thank you very much for your reply, however, I just wanted to know if anyone has any research articles of researchers charting a mind as it goes from healthy to disfunctional due to not enough reading or thinking or doing homework. I kind of want to know, if someone who has done this from 7 to 18 years old will they still have a chance to redeem themselves or will they never be able to redevelop their brain. When you are a child and throughout your teenage years your brain starts to make thousands of neural connections and develops most rapidly in this period of life. So if you don't exercise your mind I would assume it would deteoirate and you would never be able to get some parts of it back. :wasalamex

Woodrow
06-23-2007, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mustafaisb
:salamext: Thank you very much for your reply, however, I just wanted to know if anyone has any research articles of researchers charting a mind as it goes from healthy to disfunctional due to not enough reading or thinking or doing homework. I kind of want to know, if someone who has done this from 7 to 18 years old will they still have a chance to redeem themselves or will they never be able to redevelop their brain. When you are a child and throughout your teenage years your brain starts to make thousands of neural connections and develops most rapidly in this period of life. So if you don't exercise your mind I would assume it would deteoirate and you would never be able to get some parts of it back. :wasalamex
The closest I can think of would be the work of the Developmental Psychologist Piaget. I will see if I can find some of his studies and post them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
06-23-2007, 10:53 PM
:w:

Here is a link to the Developmental Psychology section of the APA, some fantastic research is being done. Scan through the Articles.

http://www.apa.org/journals/dev/

Here is a link to some of Peaget's studies. I did not all the way through it and I do not know if any of his charts of his studies are included.

http://psychology.about.com/od/piage...evelopment.htm

Here is another link, this is quite extensive and has links to several prominant researchers in the field. Mary Ainsworth was a class mate of mine and I am quite familiar with her work. She did some work along the lines you are looking for But I do not know if she published any of it. Erickson is also another great researcher. And of course my favorite Jean Piaget is mentioned again. He wrote some great text books. I can not think of the title of any. His best bood has a chapter called ""In search of Black Asparagus" if I remember the title of the book I'll post it.

Here is the link:

http://www.answers.com/topic/develop...ogy?cat=health

mustafaisb
06-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Jazakallah I'm looking at the links right now.

Woodrow
06-23-2007, 11:13 PM
:w:

Here is a quick outline of Piagets schema of learning.

Key Concepts
Schemas – A schema describes both the mental and physical actions involved in understanding and knowing. Schemas are categories of knowledge that help us to interpret and understand the world. In Piaget’s view, a schema includes both a category of knowledge and the process of obtaining that knowledge. As experiences happen, this new information is used to modify, add to, or change previously existing schemas. For example, a child may have a schema about a type of animal, such as a dog. If the child’s sole experience has been with small dogs, a child might believe that all dogs are small, furry, and have four legs. Suppose then that the child encounters a very large dog. The child will take in this new information, modifying the previously existing schema to include this new information.

Assimilation – The process of taking in new information into our previously existing schema’s is known as assimilation. The process is somewhat subjective, because we tend to modify experience or information somewhat to fit in with our preexisting beliefs. In the example above, seeing a dog and labeling it “dog” is an example of assimilating the animal into the child’s dog schema.

Accommodation – Another part of adaptation involves changing or altering our existing schemas in light of new information, a process known as accommodation. Accommodation involves altering existing schemas, or ideas, as a result of new information or new experiences. New schemas may also be developed during this process.

Equilibration – Piaget believed that all children try to strike a balance between assimilation and accommodation, which is achieved through a mechanism Piaget called equilibration. As children progress through the stages of cognitive development, it is important to maintain a balance between applying previous knowledge (assimilation) and changing behavior to account for new knowledge (accommodation). Equilibration helps explain how children are able to move from one stage of thought into the next.
Source: Key Concepts

Note the section I made bold. Piaget came to the conclusion that if we do not assimilate and develop each level of assimilating knowledge, we will not move onto the next level. If I can now find his original research on that I believe you will have the Graphic Charts you are looking for.

czgibson
06-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Sadly that is a very common thing. Many teenagers have become in love with the secular world and the concept of instant gratification.
I'm sure you don't mean to imply that the secular world denigrates reading and study. Would you agree that that would be an unjustified assumption to make?

Peace

Woodrow
06-23-2007, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I'm sure you don't mean to imply that the secular world denigrates reading and study. Would you agree that that would be an unjustified assumption to make?

Peace
It is not the fault of the secular world. Actually the secular world demands much learning for survival.

What I meant was that kids sometimes become so much infatuated with the material side of the secular world that they neglect the need to prepare for it.

Although I am not much of a secular person, I am very much aware that it would be difficult to survive in a world were there was no secularism. It is secularism that encourages most farmers to produce food to sell.

I did not realize that my post could be seen as my saying the secular world denigrates learning. Thanks for pointing that out before others come to the same conclusion you did.

00:00
06-24-2007, 10:18 PM
know someone who doesn't study or read, goes outside and hangs out with his friends all day, chats on aol instant messenger a lot, and watches t.v. a lot. I know this person will be vastly unqualified to become a college student, which he soon will be. He has been like this for most of his life. So I was wondering will his brain not comprehend a lot of the material he will encounter in college.
depends, if he's passionate about learning and got the motivation he can achieve anything he'll be able to comprehend anything.

Woodrow
06-24-2007, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
depends, if he's passionate about learning and got the motivation he can achieve anything he'll be able to comprehend anything.
That is true provided he does apply himself. The problem is many of the time wasters do not apply them selves and fail to gain the capacity to achieve beyond the point they are now at.

mustafaisb
06-25-2007, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
:salamext: I would be careful to make such statements as those. To think someone who has never studied much in their life and hasn't taken studying seriously can achieve anything in the world of academics is a pretty bold statement to me. It's all about what you do with your brain, my hypothesis is that your brain deterioates if you don't use it. Some what like if you used to weight lift a lot and you suddenly stopped working out your muscles would then steadily start to shrink. Als another fact to point out that this person't habits are in place which would make it very very hard to change them. I know this is a pretty bold statement itself, but I'm definately going to be doing some deep research on this, thanks to the excellent links provided by Brother Woodrow. I'll keep you guys updated on what I find. It will take me a considerable amount of time due to the fact that I'm taking summer school classes right now. :w:

Muezzin
06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
The kind of guy you're describing makes up most of the college/university population. He'll have to pull his socks up if he wants to get a good degree though. Big time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.