/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Truth

evangel
06-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Is there an absolute truth? When it comes to morals and behavior is it black and white?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Fattah
06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
How many universes are there?

wilberhum
06-24-2007, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by evangel
Is there an absolute truth? When it comes to morals and behavior is it black and white?
Yes, but we do not know or agree on what it is. :rollseyes

Trumble
06-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes. But only the Buddhas (feel free to insert 'prophet', 'sage', etc to taste) have ever truly experienced it and it must be experienced, not just 'understood'. All the rest of us can do is grasp at something we can glimpse but never really see clearly; religion is the principle manifestation of that in everyday life and why it is so important.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
06-24-2007, 08:46 PM
:sl:
Morality is innate. Everything else is perception.

ranma1/2
06-24-2007, 11:06 PM
nope.

snakelegs
06-24-2007, 11:10 PM
sorry, but i must be a typical agnostic here and ask how can we know?
i think hardly anything is black and white.

vpb
06-24-2007, 11:12 PM
wow, the first thread I can see everyone answering quickly, without poking someone else :)

keep going guys :)

yes.

ranma1/2
06-25-2007, 04:28 AM
or perhaps,
Yes ,the absolute truth is, there is no absolute truth with the exception of this truth.

MuhammadRizan
06-25-2007, 10:21 AM
:sl:

I have to say YES.

Yes. But only the Buddhas (feel free to insert 'prophet', 'sage', etc to taste) have ever truly experienced it and it must be experienced, not just 'understood'. All the rest of us can do is grasp at something we can glimpse but never really see clearly; religion is the principle manifestation of that in everyday life and why it is so important.
I have to say, i agree.

sorry, but i must be a typical agnostic here and ask how can we know?
when we cannot honestly refute it.

:omg:

Eric H
06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Greetings and peace be with you evangel;

I believe there is a greatest truth as opposed to an absolute truth when it comes to morals and behaviour; and that is the greatest commandments.

Can God love each and every one of us as he loves himself?

Can God love us more than he loves himself?

Search for any greater morals and behaviour

In the spirit of searching for a greatest truth

Eric

Balthasar21
06-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes Divine truths never conflict .

Woodrow
06-25-2007, 01:11 PM
The simple answer is YES and YES

But, we must accept the fact that none of us are capable of understanding what truth is. We can have some insight such as in math we know that the true answers can be demonstrated and proven. In science it is also provable however, often the ability to determine the truth is limited to the reliability of the measuring method.

Now when we get into the intangible areas such as Morality and Behavior, we run into situations that do cloud definitions and understandings. The truth is black or white, but the question becomes vague and we do not know exactly what is the question we are seeking an answer for.

So for human understanding and in the interest of justice, it is essential for us to view truth to be on a sliding scale when we deal with Morality and behavior.

Is stealing always wrong? In the concept of stealing the answer would be yes. But the problem arises is unlawfully taking something always stealing?

I see a diamond ring on a counter top in a store I put it in my pocket.

I see a loaf of bread in the grocery store, I hide it under my shirt. However, that is the last loaf of bread in town. The Store owner refused to sell it to me. The country is a dictatorship, my people are discriminated against and my people are abused and subject to tyranny. I need the bread to save the life of a starving 2 year old.

Is the unlawful taking of something stealing in both of those situations?

Balthasar21
06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Truth is liken unto fire , its outcome depends upon the holder , either it can burn , destroy , consume , kill or it can lighten the atmosphere for the reader to obtain , it can warm , or it can prepare the soup for the hungry .

Balthasar21
06-26-2007, 10:46 PM
You must learn to distinguish between Self and Truth . Self is the cause of Selfishness and the source of Evil . Truth cleaves to no Self ; It is universal and leads to justice and Righteousness .
Self , that which seems to those who love their Self as their being , It is not the eternal , the everlasting , the imperishable . Seek not Self , but seek the Truth . Trust in Truth , You who love the Truth , for the kingdom of Righteousness is founded upon Earth . The ignorance of error is dispelled by the Knowledge of Truth . We can see our way , and take firm and confident steps . The chosen one , our master , has revealed the Truth . The Truth cures our diseases , and redeems us from perdition ; The Truth strengthens us in life and in death ; The Truth alone can conquer the evil of Rejoice at the glad tidings .

Joe98
06-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Is there an absolute truth?

When it comes to morals and behavior is it black and white?

No.

In various societies, what is acceptable in some paces is not acceptable in others.

I cannot cite examples as that would be going off topic :rollseyes

-

Abdul Fattah
06-27-2007, 11:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
No.

In various societies, what is acceptable in some paces is not acceptable in others.

I cannot cite examples as that would be going off topic :rollseyes

-
There's a difference between there being a black and white morality, and between mankind actually having profound knowledge of it.

Balthasar21
06-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Where is it written that truth / knowledge has a color ?

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2007, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Balthasar21
Yes Divine truths never conflict .
wise words...

Balthasar21
06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
wise words...

Shukran Jaziylan

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.