/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Henna

glo
06-24-2007, 07:35 AM
I occasionally see Muslim men who have dyed their beards with henna.
Is there a specific purpose/reason for this, or is it purely cosmetic?

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
06-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Oooo my favourite topic! (minus the beard lol)

It was recommended by the Messenger of God, Muhammad (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) that men should dye their beards and cover up grey and all that... it doesn't have to be with henna, as long as it is not black.

I guess henna is a favourite because the Messenger used to use it. :)

Strzelecki
06-24-2007, 08:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
It was recommended by the Messenger of God, Muhammad (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) that men should dye their beards and cover up grey and all that... it doesn't have to be with henna, as long as it is not black.
Why not black?
Is this even if his beard was naturally black?

Umu 'Isa
06-24-2007, 09:14 AM
^
We can't colour our hair black because the Prophet (saws) said, "Avoid it" and because of the punishments of it described in the hadeeth.

Jaabir ibn ‘Abdullah reported that Abu Quhaafah was brought on the day of the conquest of Makkah, and his head and beard were white like "thaghaamah" (a plant whose flowers and fruit are white). The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Change this with something, but avoid black." (Reported by Muslim, no. 3962).

Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: ‘At the end of time there will be people who will dye their hair black like the crops of pigeons. They will never even smell the fragrance of Paradise." (reported by Imam Ahmad, see also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 8153).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Strzelecki
06-24-2007, 09:25 AM
^ :D Thanks.

- Qatada -
06-24-2007, 12:36 PM
:salamext:

Some scholars actually say that we should avoid black since 1) The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said so. 2) it is deceptive, :) i.e. a man may color his hair black when he is about to get married, yet when he does - the wife may realise that she's been decieved, and he is really an old man with white hair.

And Allaah knows best.

glo
06-24-2007, 01:16 PM
So, a man should not have a grey beard? ( I am confused, because I see many old Muslim men with very impressive white beards)

Men should dye their grey beards, but not with black dye?
Does this just apply to beards, or to head hair too?

What about women? Should they cover their grey hair too?

So many questions ... :D Thanks

- Qatada -
06-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Ruling on dyeing a white beard

Question:

What is the ruling on dyeing a white beard?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Dyeing it with something reddish or yellowish is Sunnah (the Prophetic way), but dyeing it black is haraam [forbidden] according to the sound opinion, and it was also said that it is makrooh [disliked.]

This ban applies to both men and women, except for the man who is engaged in jihaad (mujaahid). Al-Maawirdi said: “It is not haraam [forbidden] in his case.”

In Saheeh Muslim it is reported from Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that when the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw that the beard of Abu Quhaafah, who was the father of Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq (may Allaah be pleased with him), was so white, he said, “Change this, but avoid black.”

(The above is the words of Imaam al-Nawawi).

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that he saw the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) dyeing his beard with a yellowish colour. According to another report, he added, “And I would like to do this.”

Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah reported that Wahb said: “We entered upon Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) and she brought out some of the hair of the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to show us. It was dyed with henna and katam.

Katam is a plant that is mixed with henna, and it is used to dye the hair and preserve the colour, as is stated in al-Qaamoos. When katam is used alone, not mixed with anything, it produces a reddish-black colour.

Some people have the habit of dyeing their hair pure black at peace time (i.e., when not engaged in jihaad). This is not right according to sharee’ah. There have been cases where prospective brides and their families have been deceived and cheated when a prospective husband has dyed his hair to give the impression of being young and strong when in fact he is old and weak.

Fatawa al-Imaam al-Nawawi, p. 23

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=3493&ln=eng&txt=

- Qatada -
06-24-2007, 01:39 PM
I think it refers to head hair aswell as beards, and it's not an obligation - however it is recommended.

Firstly: dyeing grey hairs is Sunnah [the Prophetic way] and is part of the teachings of Islam. It means dyeing grey hairs on the head and in the beard, for men. For women, it refers to the hair of the head.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=7227&ln=eng&txt=

I think it is also permissible for women to colour their hair, and similarly they shouldn't colour their hair black either.

And Allaah knows best.

Peace.

00:00
06-24-2007, 02:38 PM
I heard that you can dye your hair black, when you go for jihad. make the enemy think that the fighters are young not old.I think thats the only time you can dye it black.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.