/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Q of the week

جوري
06-25-2007, 02:54 AM
you have a 14 year old male with severe prolonged bleeding after a tooth extraction, he has a history of multiple episodes of painful joints after minor trauma. Evaluation reveals that he has an inherited disorder, his older sister WHO DOESN'T HAVE THE CONDITION, wants to learn of her risk of having an affected child... her chances of having an affected child are?
A-nearly 0
B-1/2
C-1/4
D-1/8
E-1/10
F-1/32

this Question is fairly easy if you are familiar with basic knowledge of Hardy-Weinberg Gene Frequencies which in fact has its roots in a famous mathematical formula.. for the "bleeding" portion of the Q, you may use google search engine, but let me know how you arrived to your answer..
thanks and good luck
oh all I can offer for a correct answer are 18 rep points :-[
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
06-25-2007, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
you have a 14 year old male with severe prolonged bleeding after a tooth extraction, he has a history of multiple episodes of painful joints after minor trauma. Evaluation reveals that he has an inherited disorder, his older sister WHO DOESN'T HAVE THE CONDITION, wants to learn of her risk of having an affected child... her chances of having an affected child are?
A-nearly 0
B-1/2
C-1/4
D-1/8
E-1/10
F-1/32

this Question is fairly easy if you are familiar with basic knowledge of Hardy-Weinberg Gene Frequencies which in fact has its roots in a famous mathematical formula.. for the "bleeding" portion of the Q, you may use google search engine, but let me know how you arrived to your answer..
thanks and good luck
Asalam alkum i don't know the answer for your question but i do have a connection i did have bleeding alot of bleeding after a tooth extraction and i was only 11 -10

جوري
06-25-2007, 02:57 AM
did you see a doctor about that?

Yanal
06-25-2007, 03:00 AM
yes i did and mashalah i did learn a lesson that time i didn;t know what is islam i only knew a lilttle about islam but now i do pray and mashlah my tooth is fine and jazakallah for asking

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BanGuLLy
06-25-2007, 03:07 AM
A-nearly 0

BanGuLLy
06-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Hardy-Weinberg Gene Frequencies
WHAT THE $%*&%*#@ IS THAT?
I HATE CHEMISTRY!!!

جوري
06-25-2007, 03:09 AM
hmmmmmmmmn why?
I don't want to give the answer out just yet, until I see if there are moreparticipants-- but do let me know how you arrived to your conclusions pls
thank you

BanGuLLy
06-25-2007, 03:10 AM
Becuz She Doesnt Have That Condition :S

جوري
06-25-2007, 03:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bangsta
Hardy-Weinberg Gene Frequencies
WHAT THE $%*&%*#@ IS THAT?
I HATE CHEMISTRY!!!
have you seen this before in math class? p2 + 2pq + q2 = 1

جوري
06-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Becuz She Doesnt Have That Condition :S
is there a possibility she is a carrier of the defective gene?

BanGuLLy
06-25-2007, 03:15 AM
ye but with different letters

BanGuLLy
06-25-2007, 03:16 AM
No there is no possibility that she has that gene... because she doesnt have that condition..

جوري
06-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Well I don't want to give too much info away, but it is so very possible to carry defective genes and not exhibit the traits.. So I'll leave this one open for a week since it is the (Q of the week) and then give out the answer at the end if there are no correct ones between now and then.. we will let you know if you are correct or incorrect at the end of that term or before if someone should take a stab at it before then-- or if you'd like to try again with two new clues given...
thank you for your participation
:W:

Yanal
06-25-2007, 03:27 AM
asalam alkum i think f-1/32

MustafaMc
06-25-2007, 03:29 AM
A-nearly 0
B-1/2
C-1/4
D-1/8
E-1/10
F-1/32

thanks and good luck
I assume that you are referring to hemophilia - a sex-linked trait on the X chromosome. Since nothing is said about the mother expressing the condition, I assume she is a carrier only. The sister must get a normal X from her father and the chance of getting the X from her mother with the hemophilaia gene is 50:50. Therefore, her chance of her being a carrier is 1/2. If she has a son, the son has a 50:50 chance of getting the hemophilia gene from her. Therefore the chance of her having a hemophiliac son is 0.5 X 0.5 = 0.25 or 1/4. I assume that the sister's husband is not a hemophiliac, so her daughter will not express the trait, but has the same 1/4 chance of being a carrier.

My answer is 1/4 for a son and nearly 0 for a daughter - assuming I made the right assumptions.

جوري
06-25-2007, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I assume that you are referring to hemophilia - a sex-linked trait on the X chromosome. Since nothing is said about the mother expressing the condition, I assume she is a carrier only. The sister must get a normal X from her father and the chance of getting the X from her mother with the hemophilaia gene is 50:50. Therefore, her chance of her being a carrier is 1/2. If she has a son, the son has a 50:50 chance of getting the hemophilia gene from her. Therefore the chance of her having a hemophiliac son is 0.5 X 0.5 = 0.25 or 1/4. I assume the the sister's husband is not a hemophiliac, so her daughter will not express the trait, but has the same 1/4 chance of being a carrier.

My answer is 1/4 for a son and nearly 0 for a daughter - assuming I made the right assumptions.
I am going to rep you because you are so incredibly smart and so incredibly close, and I have thrown a couple of distracters there, one being the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium equation... but you were not fooled and I am humbled to you sir...
only there is one P you didn't account for
we need to indeed assume that the mal patient has either hemophilia A or B both indeed are X linked, now we are not quite sure if the female sister is a carrier or not so we'll assume everything in this question based entirely on probability
and indeed you have guessed the first two P's
P1= the sister is a carrier = 0.5
p2=sister with a likely hood of having a male off spring=0.5
p3= the offspring of the female carrier will inherit the X chromosome with the defective gene you see this disorder is an X linked recessive disorder so the third P is another 0.5
making it P1XP2XP3= 1/8.. but you are da bomb, it doesn't matter if you missed one third of the Q, you have an excellent idea exactly what the Q entails
and I thank you for time and courtesy extended plus rep pts =)

BanGuLLy
06-25-2007, 04:38 AM
I Feel STUPID:(

جوري
06-25-2007, 04:40 AM
I Feel STUPID:(
No no no pls don't.. I'll post another one soon insha'Allah.. I know you'll get the next one :)

MustafaMc
06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I am going to rep you because you are so incredibly smart and so incredibly close, and I have thrown a couple of distracters there, one being the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium equation...
Masha'Allah, Sister, Allah has willed that I understood this question, but I am not incredibly smart, nor am I as stupid as the atheistic evolutionists claim. Perhaps, I shouldn't have replied as I had quite a few genetics courses for my degree in plant breeding :-[; however I like challenges.

Two questions back to you: How is this person with the mutated gene conferring hemophilia more biologically fit than one without the gene?

Can you give me examples where an individual with a mutated gene is more fit than an individual with the "wild" type? Please, exclude Sickle cell anemia which confers tolerance to malaria in the heterozygous state, but reduced life expectancy when homozygous. I could imagine resistance of a pathogen to anti-biotics would be a good example.

جوري
06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Masha'Allah, Sister, Allah has willed that I understood this question, but I am not incredibly smart, nor am I as stupid as the atheistic evolutionists claim. Perhaps, I shouldn't have replied as I had quite a few genetics courses for my degree in plant breeding :-[; however I like challenges.
I find that people who understand the least about science, are the ones who are so eager to display and clangorously their ignorance.. I think the statistics speak for themselves see attached PDF files at bottom of this paragraph pls-- "evolutionists" have merely substituted one belief for another.. I don't really heed them any attention, I think it is rather a big waste of my time, they are not colleagues here and I am not discussing things on a level, so I don't bother, but I assure you I can spot someone who is erudite, the question that you answered had an 8 out 10 difficulty, and Masha'Allah, how impressive are you akhi?
I think these two papers will be of impressive value to you, please read them and feel free to discuss them at some point
http://www.iscid.org/papers/Mullan_P...ell_112302.pdf
http://arxiv.org/ftp/q-bio/papers/0603/0603005.pdf

Two questions back to you: How is this person with the mutated gene conferring hemophilia more biologically fit than one without the gene? Can you give me examples where an individual with a mutated gene is more fit than an individual with the "wild" type? Please, exclude Sickle cell anemia which confers tolerance to malaria in the heterozygous state, but reduced life expectancy when homozygous. I could imagine resistance of a pathogen to anti-biotics would be a good example
I don't believe that the person with the Hemophilia is more biologically fit than someone without the mutated gene, we have no mutated gene that offers any sort of advantage over being fit, I know it was I who before gave the example of Sickle Cell trait, I assure you whomever heard of it, heard of it first from me, but I digress, an overwhelming number of African Americans and some Mediterraneans have sickle cell or are carriers and there are subtypes of that, for instance there isn't just Hemoglobin S, there is Also hemoglobin H, and hemoglobin F, which has the highest affinity for O2, It has been proven that malaria doesn't live well in sickled cells, for a number of reasons, but I don't believe that to be any different from say Malaria living well in someone with Spherocytosis, or Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency, it just so happens that African Americans are more affected by sickle cell than other types of anemia, and that confers some immunity against Malaria. but they don't have an advantage otherwise...their life expectancy isn't greater than a person who is biologically more fit!

certainly resistance to an antibiotic which is usually done enzymatically by the bacteria itself would offer an advantage to the bacteria not to us, for instance certain MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus) have acquiring a mecA gene, it certainly confers an advantage to the bacteria but not to us-- I have not learned of a mutation that say will bring about an X men type of community of super humans or offer some sort of advantage ... mutations whether (nonsense, missense frameshift, small insertions/deletions, and one larger deletion) result in prematurely truncated proteins, either causing a disease state, cancer or death, but not an advantage certainly not newer species...
I am going to enclose this if you wish to read a bit more about MRSA..

Prevention and control of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus
John M Boyce, MD

UpToDate performs a continuous review of over 375 journals and other resources. Updates are added as important new information is published. The literature review for version 15.1 is current through December 2006; this topic was last changed on December*29,*2006. The next version of UpToDate (15.2) will be released in June 2007.

INTRODUCTION — Shortly after the introduction of methicillin in 1959, outbreaks of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections were reported in the early 1960s [1]. Since that time, MRSA has increased in prevalence worldwide as both a healthcare-associated (nosocomial) and a community-associated pathogen. Both the microbiology laboratory and the infection control departments play crucial roles in control of the spread of MRSA within an institution [2].

The prevention and control of MRSA infection will be reviewed here. The epidemiology and clinical manifestations and the treatment of MRSA infections in adults are discussed separately. (See "Epidemiology and clinical manifestations of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in adults" and see "Treatment of methicillin-resistant or vancomycin resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in adults").

ROLE OF MICROBIOLOGY LABORATORY — Clinical microbiology laboratories provide several services that are important in controlling transmission of MRSA in healthcare facilities. MRSA must be differentiated from other strains of S. aureus because special infection control precautions are recommended for patients with MRSA, but are not necessary for patients with low-level oxacillin-resistant (so-called "borderline-resistant") S. aureus that do not contain the mecA gene characteristic of MRSA.

The most accurate methods of detecting MRSA are polymerase chain reaction (PCR) methods for detection of the mecA gene and latex agglutination tests for PBP-2a. In microbiology laboratories where these methods are not available, other acceptable methods for routine testing of S. aureus isolates for their susceptibility to beta-lactams are [3,4]: Cefoxitin disk diffusion tests Oxacillin/salt screening plates containing 6 microgram/mL oxacillin and four percent NaCl Broth microdilution tests with two percent sodium chloride Agar dilution tests with two percent sodium chloride

Disk diffusion susceptibility tests identify most MRSA, but they may not identify some heterogeneous class 1 or 2 strains. Present versions of systems such as MicroScan, Vitek, BBL Crystal MRSA ID system, Alamar tests, and Rapid ATB Staph system appear to detect a majority of MRSA strains. However, occasional strains of methicillin-susceptible S. aureus may be misclassified as MRSA by the Vitek system when certain GPS cards are used. Unlike most MRSA, such strains usually are susceptible to clindamycin, gentamicin, and other non-beta-lactam antibiotics.

Most healthcare-associated MRSA (HA-MRSA) strains are multidrug resistant. Isolates that appear resistant to oxacillin but are susceptible to most non-beta-lactam agents (eg, clindamycin, gentamicin, and ciprofloxacin) may be community-associated MRSA (CA-MRSA), or may not represent MRSA. Such strains should be tested using a confirmatory test such as a mecA probe, PCR assay for mecA, oxacillin-salt agar screening plates, or cefoxitin disk diffusion tests.

Typing of MRSA isolates — When clusters or outbreaks of MRSA occur in hospitals, or when the organism becomes highly endemic, it is important to determine if the phenomenon represents healthcare-associated transmission of a single strain, or a cluster of cases caused by multiple unrelated strains. For most hospitals, analysis of antibiotic susceptibility patterns (antibiograms) of isolates represents the most practical initial approach to typing. Comparing the MICs or inhibitory zone diameters of isolates, rather than qualitative results, results in better differentiation of strains [5].

However, genotypic methods have superior discriminatory power and should be used whenever possible. PFGE is an excellent method for typing MRSA [6]. Arbitrary-primed PCR typing methods also differentiate MRSA strains adequately in many situations and are more rapid and less labor-intensive [5]. Although sequencing of protein A (spa) gene polymorphisms requires less time, is easier to interpret than PFGE, and has adequate discriminatory power for outbreak investigations, this method requires the availability of both PCR and DNA sequencing technologies, which are not currently available in many clinical laboratories.

No single typing method has been established to be ideal [3]. A combination of typing methods is likely to give the most accurate information about the relatedness of MRSA isolates [7,8].

ROLE OF INFECTION CONTROL

Nosocomial — HA-MRSA is most commonly transmitted on the hands of HCWs; as a result, good hand hygiene is considered an essential measure for reducing the spread of this pathogen. The potential efficacy of hand hygiene was illustrated in a report in which a hospital-wide hand hygiene program was implemented that emphasized bedside hand disinfection with an alcohol-based solution as well as handwashing with soap and water [9]. Compliance with hand hygiene increased progressively from 48 to 66 percent over a three-year period. At the same time, there were significant reductions in the prevalence of overall nosocomial infection (16.9 to 9.9 percent) and in MRSA transmission rates (2.16 to 0.93 episodes per 10,000 patient-days).

**Guideline recommendations — In 1996, the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC) recommended a number of isolation and barrier precaution practices for use when caring for patients with MRSA [10]. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published a guideline in 2002, recommending a number of new strategies for improving hand hygiene among HCWs [11]. The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) published a guideline in 2003 to prevent transmission of multidrug resistant strains of S. aureus and enterococci [12]. The guidelines provide useful strategies for reducing the transmission of MRSA in healthcare facilities.

The guideline recommendations are grouped by the strength of the recommendation based on available study data.

The following measures are strongly recommended and supported by well-designed experimental, clinical, or epidemiologic studies: Implement a program of active surveillance cultures to identify patients colonized or infected with MRSA. Early detection of colonized patients facilitates more timely institution of appropriate contact precautions (eg, use of gloves and gowns), which have been shown to control the spread of MRSA more effectively than standard precautions. Surveillance cultures of the anterior nares and open wounds are recommended for patients at high risk of MRSA colonization or infection. Wear clean, non-sterile gloves when entering the patient's room; remove the gloves when leaving the patient's room. Wear a gown when entering the room if substantial contact with the patient or environmental surfaces in the room is anticipated, or if the patient has wound drainage not contained by a dressing. Remove the gown before leaving the patient's room. Upon removing gloves and gown, clean hands with an alcohol-based hand rub. However, if hands are visibly contaminated with blood or other proteinaceous materials, wash hands with an antimicrobial soap and water.

The following measures are strongly recommended and supported by some experimental, clinical, or epidemiologic studies and a strong theoretical rationale: Place the patient in a private room whenever possible. If a private room is not available, then place two or more patients with MRSA in the same room. Limit transport of the patient from the room to essential purposes only. When possible, dedicate the use of non-critical equipment to a single patient or cohort of patients. If use for another patient is unavoidable, adequately clean and disinfect the item before use.

The following measure is suggested and supported by suggestive clinical or epidemiologic studies or a theoretical rationale: Wearing a mask when caring for MRSA patients may reduce nasal acquisition of MRSA by HCWs.

**Active surveillance — Since screening all patients upon hospital admission would require very substantial laboratory resources, a number of strategies for performing targeted screening have been evaluated. In one study, culturing the anterior nares of patients with a self-reported history of previous admission within one year identified 76 percent of those colonized with MRSA [13]. Another study found that screening individuals with one or more of the following risk factors would have detected 89 percent of those colonized with MRSA on hospital admission: antibiotic use within the past three months, hospitalization within the previous 12 months, diagnosis of skin or soft-tissue infection at admission, and HIV infection [14]. In facilities where admission screening is not performed, screening patients upon admission to intensive care units (ICUs) has been successful.

The impact of active surveillance programs are illustrated in the following studies: In a report from a German hospital from May 2001 through November 2002, 539 patients at high risk for MRSA carriage were screened and isolated until test results were available [15]. Patients that were culture positive (21 percent) were placed in private rooms under barrier precautions. As compared to a retrospective control period (1999 to 2001), the incidence of hospital-acquired MRSA infections was significantly reduced and saved about 110,000 Euros annually. In a hospital in Israel, active surveillance of patients admitted to the hospital who were at high-risk for MRSA carriage was instituted between July 2003 and December 2004 [16]. Patients identified as MRSA-positive were placed in contact isolation in single rooms and were given eradication treatment with intranasal mupirocin and 4 percent chlorhexidine baths. The mean number of MRSA bacteremia cases per month significantly decreased from 3.6 cases before surveillance (between January 2002 and February 2003) to 1.8 cases after the intervention. In an ICU setting with a high level of endemic MRSA, control measures including isolation and barrier precautions, skin decolonization with chlorhexidine for patients colonized with MRSA or mupirocin treatment for nasal carriers significantly decreased the incidence rate of newly acquired infections and colonization (5.8 and 5.6 percent to 2.6 and 1.4 percent, infection and colonization respectively, following implementation of control measures) [17].

Traditional methods used to process surveillance cultures take 48 to 72 hours after samples are obtained to yield results. However, newly available techniques shorten the amount of time required to detect MRSA in surveillance cultures. A selective agar containing cefoxitin (BBL CHROMagar MRSA) detects a majority of MRSA isolates within 24 hours. Commercially available real-time PCR tests for mecA can detect MRSA within two hours [18].

The utility of rapid diagnostic tests (eg, PCR) for early identification of MRSA carriers was evaluated in an ICU setting [19]. Patients were screened on admission for MRSA using a PCR-based test during an intervention period (November 2003 to March 2004) and the time interval from admission to notification of test results was calculated and compared to a historical control period (April 2003 to October 2003). The prevalence of MRSA on ICU admission was 71 of 1053 patients (6.7 percent) during the intervention period. The median time from admission to notification of test results significantly decreased (87 compared to 21 hours in the surgical ICU and 106 compared to 23 hours in the medical ICU). Without admission screening, 55 previously unknown MRSA carriers would have been missed. The combination of rapid diagnostic testing with preemptive contact isolation was associated with a reduction in medical ICU acquired MRSA infections (relative risk [RR] 0.3; 95% CI, 0.1-0.7) but had no effect in the surgical ICU (RR 1.0; 95% CI, 0.6-1.7).

**Further measures to control HA-MRSA — A number of other measures appear to have been useful in limiting healthcare-associated spread of MRSA and should be considered for use by hospitals. Line listing — Maintain a list (preferably computerized) of patients known to be positive for MRSA. Identify known cases on readmission — Develop a system for promptly identifying and isolating known MRSA carriers who are readmitted. Screen the patient to see if he or she is still colonized. The potential importance of this approach was demonstrated in a prospective study from France of MRSA colonization status in previously colonized patients readmitted to the same facility three or more months later [20]. Thirty-one of 78 such patients (40 percent) continued to be colonized with the organism (median time to clearing of 8.5 months). A break in the skin was the only risk factor for persistent colonization in a multivariate analysis. Prevalence surveys of patients — Culture roommates of newly identified MRSA cases. Consider culturing other patients on the ward if a clustering of new MRSA cases occurs on a nursing unit.

In ICUs where MRSA is not already endemic, perform prevalence culture survey of all other patients in the unit whenever a single, new MRSA case is identified. Culture specimens should be obtained from the anterior nares and from any wounds that may be present [21]. Consider culturing inguinal region if no wound is present. Use of a selective medium will reduce the workload for the microbiology laboratory. Monitor compliance with control measures — Because many studies have shown that compliance with barrier precautions and handwashing is often suboptimal, facilities with ongoing transmission of HA-MRSA should consider developing systems for monitoring compliance by HCWs and providing feedback to personnel regarding their performance.

**Evaluation of interventions — A retrospective study of four infection control interventions evaluated the impact of each intervention on MRSA bacteremia in a tertiary care hospital (ie, 800-beds with eight ICUs) [22]. The four interventions (maximal sterile barrier precautions during CVC placement, institution of alcohol-based hand rubs, hand hygiene campaign, and routine nares surveillance for MRSA in ICU patients at admission, then weekly) were introduced one at a time over a nine year period.

Only routine surveillance cultures and subsequent contact isolation precautions resulted in substantial reductions in MRSA bacteremia both in ICUs and hospital-wide. Following a 16-month surveillance culture intervention period, the incidence density of MRSA bacteremia decreased by 75 percent in ICUs, by 40 percent in non-ICU's, which resulted in a 67 percent hospital-wide reduction. Methicillin-susceptible S. aureus (MSSA) bacteremia rates were monitored as a control and were stable during this time.

Community-associated — Optimal measures for the control and prevention of CA-MRSA infections remain under investigation, since this is a relatively new problem [23]. Community-associated infections frequently recur in individuals and can spread within families. In addition, healthcare-associated MRSA can spread to community contacts [24].

The CDC makes the following recommendations to prevent MRSA infections [25]: Keep hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered with a bandage until healed. Avoid contact with other people's wounds or bandages. Avoid sharing personal items such as towels, washcloths, razors, clothing, or uniforms.

Although reports of family clusters of invasive MRSA infection are rare, they have important implications for treatment of those in close contact with patients. Current guidelines do not recommend antimicrobial prophylaxis for the family members of patients with CA-MRSA infection but decolonization therapy may be warranted for specific circumstances [26]. (See "Epidemiology and clinical manifestations of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in adults" section on "Community-associated MRSA infections").

Eradication of MRSA carriage — A number of approaches can be tried to eliminate MRSA carriage in patients and/or HCWs. However, few studies have been performed about the efficacy of such treatments.

**In patients — During outbreaks, administering decolonization therapy to patients colonized with MRSA may help to control the spread of the organism [27,28]. However, the independent contribution of decolonization therapy in reducing transmission is difficult to assess, since it is usually used in conjunction with multiple other control measures.

Nasal mupirocin therapy appears to be effective in patients who are S. aureus carriers in settings with low MRSA carriage rates [29]. However, in a setting where MRSA was endemic (60 percent carriage in the nares), nasal mupirocin was only marginally effective in the eradication of carriage (relative risk 0.57; 95% CI 0.31-1.04 with mupirocin compared to placebo) [30]. The usual mupirocin treatment is to apply twice daily into each nostril for five days.

A 2003 meta-analysis from the Cochrane database [31] evaluated six randomized controlled trials of patients colonized with MRSA comparing monotherapy or combination therapy with topical or systemic antimicrobials to placebo or no treatment for eradication of MRSA colonization [30,32-36].

No difference in MRSA eradication was detected in four trials: one that compared mupirocin to placebo [30], two that compared one systemic agent to no treatment (fusidic acid in one [34] and rifampin or minocycline in the other [33]) and one that compared mupirocin to topical fusidic acid and oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole [32]. In the trial comparing minocycline to rifampin, rifampin was more effective in eradicating MRSA at day 30, but there was no difference at 90 days.

The authors of the meta-analysis concluded that there was insufficient evidence to support use of topical or systemic antimicrobial therapy for eradicating nasal or extranasal MRSA [31]. Furthermore, randomized trials have not demonstrated efficacy of routine intranasal mupirocin for the prevention of surgical site infection with S. aureus or for the prevention of healthcare-associated S. aureus infection in nonsurgical patients [29,37]. (See "Controversies in control measures to prevent surgical site infection", section on Mupirocin).

When eradication of MRSA carriage has been tried, the regimen of choice has been application of topical mupirocin ointment to the anterior nares (two to three times per day for three to five days). Such patients should be recultured following treatment to confirm that MRSA carriage has been eradicated.

Affected patients often carry MRSA on areas of intact skin as well as in the anterior nares. As a result, bathing MRSA carriers with chlorhexidine gluconate-containing soap during the course of mupirocin decolonization therapy is commonly recommended, although the efficacy of this measure has not been established [38].

A trial published after the meta-analysis evaluated a more comprehensive regimen [39]. In this open-label trial, 146 hospitalized patients who were colonized with MRSA were randomly assigned in a 1:3 allocation to no treatment or to a seven day course of daily washing with chlorhexidine gluconate, intranasal mupirocin ointment (2 percent) three times daily, and oral rifampin (300 mg twice daily) and doxycycline (100 mg twice daily). Monthly cultures were obtained from the nares, perineum, skin lesions, and catheter exit sites.

The primary end point, detection of MRSA at three months, was significantly less frequent with active therapy in the 112 patients followed {74 versus 32 percent). The difference remained significant at eight months, when 54 percent of treated patients remained culture negative. The main predictor of treatment failure was a mupirocin-resistant isolate at baseline. Most patients who relapsed did so with their baseline strain.

The clinical significance of this trial is uncertain [40]. The trial was not designed to assess the effect of therapy on infection. In addition, side effects of systemic antibiotics were important as 25 percent developed adverse gastrointestinal reactions and 5 percent discontinued therapy. In addition, drug interactions with rifampin may be important.

A potential complication of mupirocin therapy is the development of mupirocin resistance [41,42]. Mupirocin-resistant MRSA has been described in a patient who had received eight courses of mupirocin over a nine month period; spread of this organism was demonstrated by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis in 12 additional patients and 11 staff members [41]. In the above trial, mupirocin-resistance emerged in only 5 percent of follow-up isolates [39]. However, 19 percent had high-

**In HCWs — If transmission continues despite appropriate identification and isolation of MRSA cases, it is reasonable to consider culturing HCWs on the involved unit(s), especially if a single strain is responsible for most cases. Eradication of nasal carriage of MRSA should be performed in any HCWs who are epidemiologically implicated in the transmission of MRSA. Follow-up culturing of treated HCWs to document elimination of MRSA carriage is also important.

VACCINATION — A vaccine directed against S. aureus capsular polysaccharide showed short-term efficacy in hemodialysis patients [43]. However, development of the vaccine was stopped after it failed to show long-term efficacy in a confirmatory phase III trial that included 3600 dialysis patients. (See "Immunizations in patients with end-stage renal disease", section on Staphylococcus aureus vaccine).

VISA AND VRSA — S. aureus isolates with a vancomycin MIC 4 microgram/mL are considered susceptible. Vancomycin MIC values of 8 to 16 microgram/mL and 32 microgram/mL define isolates that have intermediate susceptibility and are resistant, respectively [44]. (See "Mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in Staphylococcus aureus" for a discussion of the mechanisms of decreased susceptibility or resistance to vancomycin).

In May 1996, a strain of MRSA with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin (MIC = 8 microgram/mL) was recovered in Japan from a patient who appeared to respond poorly to vancomycin therapy [45]. Subsequently, similar strains with vancomycin MICs of 8 to 16 microgram/mL were recovered from a number of patients in the United States [46,47]. All of the isolates were also resistant to methicillin.

Such strains are called glycopeptide (or vancomycin) intermediate S. aureus (GISA or VISA). Some of these patients received long courses of vancomycin prior to recovery of VISA isolates, suggesting that prolonged vancomycin therapy is a major risk factor for VISA [45,46]. Two of the patients were treated with repeated courses of vancomycin for catheter-related MRSA infections. This observation highlights the need to promptly remove infected foreign bodies whenever possible.

The first description of a large outbreak of colonization and infection with a single GISA strain from January 2000 to December 2000 was reported from an ICU in France [48]. Severe infection (eg, pneumonia, bacteremia, endocarditis) was diagnosed in 11 of 21 patients; eight patients died. Extensive colonization of the inanimate environment was found and the outbreak continued despite maximum contact-isolation procedures. Addition of a policy of restricted admissions, twice daily environmental cleaning, and implementation of hand decontamination with an alcohol-based product led to outbreak termination.

VISA strains are not detected reliably by routine disk diffusion tests [49,50]. Such strains can be identified by testing for vancomycin resistance using broth dilution, agar dilution, or agar gradient diffusion (E test) [44]. A full 24-hour incubation period should be used with all methods. Also, if 0.01 mL of a bacterial suspension equivalent to a 0.5 McFarland is inoculated onto commercially available Brain Heart Infusion agar containing 6 microgram/mL of vancomycin and incubated for 24 hours, VISA strains will yield at least two or more colonies, whereas most non-VISA strains will not [50].

Patients infected with vancomycin-resistant S. aureus (VRSA) also have been reported in the United States since 2002. (See "Treatment of methicillin-resistant or vancomycin resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in adults", section on Treatment of VRSA infections).

Control measures — HICPAC and the CDC have published guidelines for the prevention and control of staphylococcal infections associated with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin [44,51]. These recommendations are summarized below. Infection control and primary care providers should be immediately notified by laboratory personnel when a VISA isolate is identified. Infection control personnel, with assistance of state and federal health authorities, should conduct an epidemiologic and laboratory investigation. The patient should be placed in a private room. Contact precautions should be used as described by HICPAC. (See "Role of infection control" above). The number of personnel who have access to patients with VISA should be minimized. Dedicated HCWs should care for patient(s) with VISA. HCWs should be informed of the implications of such strains, and the recommended precautions for limiting their spread. Compliance with contact precautions and other recommended practices should be monitored and enforced. HCWs, roommates, and other close contacts should be screened for VISA by culture of the nares and hands at baseline and culture of the nares at weekly intervals. The patient and colonized HCWs should be decolonized with mupirocin. Transferring patients between facilities should be avoided, if possible; the receiving unit or facility should be informed of the presence of VISA if transfer is unavoidable. Isolation is continued until cultures of the nares and infected sites are negative times three over a three week period. State health department and CDC personnel should be consulted before discharging the patient.

SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS MRSA is differentiated from other strains of S. aureus by the presence of the mecA gene. (See "Role of microbiology laboratory" above). Healthcare-associated (HA) MRSA is most commonly transmitted on the hands of healthcare workers; as a result, good hand hygiene is considered an essential measure for reducing the spread of this pathogen. (See "Nosocomial" above). Guidelines to prevent transmission of multidrug resistant strains of S. aureus are available to aid infection control personnel. (See "Nosocomial" above). Community-associated infections frequently recur in individuals and can spread within families. (See "Community-associated" above). A number of approaches can be tried to eliminate MRSA carriage in patients and/or HCWs, however, the efficacy of such treatments is controversial. (See "Eradication of MRSA carriage" above). HICPAC and the CDC have published guidelines for the prevention and control of staphylococcal infections associated with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin. (See "Control measures" above).

Use of UpToDate is subject to the Subscription and License Agreement. REFERENCES 1. *Benner, EJ, Kayser, FH. Growing clinical significance of methcillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Lancet 1968; 2:741.
2.*Grundmann, H, Aires-de-Sousa, M, Boyce, J, Tiemersma, E. Emergence and resurgence of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus as a public-health threat. Lancet 2006; 368:874.
3.*Chambers, HF. Methicillin resistance in staphylococci: molecular and biochemical basis and clinical implications. Clin Microbiol Rev 1997; 10:781.
4. *National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Fifth Information Supplement. NCCLS Document M100-S5. Villanova, PA: NCCLS, 1994.
5.*Blanc, DS, Lugeon, C, Wenger, A, et al. Quantitative antibiogram typing using inhibition zone diameters compared with ribotyping for epidemiological typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Clin Microbiol 1994; 32:2505.
6.*Bannerman, TL, Hancock, GA, Tenover, FC, Miller, JM. Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis as a replacement for bacteriophage typing of Staphylococcus aureus. J Clin Microbiol 1995; 33:551.
7.*van Belkum, A, Kluytmans, J, van Leeuwen, W, et al. Multicenter evaluation of arbitrarily primed PCR for typing of Staphylococcus aureus strains. J Clin Microbiol 1995; 33:1537.
8.*Tenover, FC, Arbeit, R, Archer, G, Biddle, J, Byrne S, Goering R et al. Comparison of traditional and molecular methods of typing isolates of Staphylococcus aureus. J Clin Microbiol 1994; 32:407.
9.*Pittet, D, Hugonnet, S, Harbarth, S, et al. Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene. Lancet 2000; 356:1307.
10.*Garner, JS, Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Guideline for isolation precautions in hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996; 17:53.
11.*Boyce, JM, Pittet, D. Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for Professionals in Infection Control/Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR Recomm Rep 2002; 51:1.
12.*Muto, CA, Jernigan, JA, Ostrowsky, BE, et al. SHEA Guideline for Preventing Nosocomial Transmission of Multidrug-Resistant Strains of Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2003; 24:362.
13.*Furuno, JP, McGregor, JC, Harris, AD, et al. Identifying groups at high risk for carriage of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166:580.
14.*Hidron, AI, Kourbatova, EV, Halvosa, JS, et al. Risk factors for colonization with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in patients admitted to an urban hospital: emergence of community-associated MRSA nasal carraige. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 41:159.
15.*Wernitz, MH, Swidsinski, S, Weist, K, et al. Effectiveness of a hospital-wide selective screening programme for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriers at hospital admission to prevent hospital-acquired MRSA infections. Clin Microbiol Infect 2005; 11:457.
16.*****rit, P, Gottesman, BS, Katzir, M, et al. Active surveillance for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) decreases the incidence of MRSA bacteremia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006; 27:1004.
17.*Girou, E, Pujade, G, Legrand, P, et al. Selective screening of carriers for control of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in high-risk hospital areas with a high level of endemic MRSA. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 27:543.
18.*Warren, DK, Liao, RS, Merz, LR, et al. Detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus directly from nasal swab specimens by a real-time PCR assay. J Clin Microbiol 2004; 42:5578.
19.*Harbarth, S, Masuet-Aumatell, C, Schrenzel, J, et al. Evaluation of rapid screening and pre-emptive contact isolation for detecting and controlling methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in critical care: an interventional cohort study. Crit Care 2006; 10:R25.
20.*Scanvic, A, Denic, L, Gaillon, S, et al. Duration of colonization by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus after hospital discharge and risk factors for prolonged carriage. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 32:1393.
21.*Sanford, MD, Widmer, AF, Bale, MJ, et al. Efficient detection and long-term persistence of the carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Clin Infect Dis 1994; 19:1123.
22.*Huang, SS, Yokoe, DS, Hinrichsen, VL, et al. Impact of routine intensive care unit surveillance cultures and resultant barrier precautions on hospital-wide methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Clin Infect Dis 2006; 43:971.
23.*Wootton, SH, Arnold, K, Hill, HA, et al. Intervention to reduce the incidence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin infections in a correctional facility in Georgia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004; 25:402.
24.*Calfee, DP, Durbin, LJ, Germanson, TP, et al. Spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among household contacts of individuals with nosocomially acquired MRSA. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2003; 24:422.
25. *http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/ARESIS...rsa_public.htm Accessed September 22, 2005.
26.*Jones, TF, Creech, CB, Erwin, P, et al. Family outbreaks of invasive community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection. Clin Infect Dis 2006; 42:e76.
27.*Mulligan, ME, Murray-Leisure, KA, Ribner, BS, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: A consensus review of the microbiology, pathogenesis, and epidemiology with implications for prevention and management. Am J Med 1993; 94:313.
28.*Boyce, JM, Jackson, MM, Pugliese, G, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): a briefing for acute care hospitals and nursing facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994; 15:105.
29.*Perl, TM, Cullen, JJ, Wenzel, RP, et al. Intranasal mupirocin to prevent postoperative Staphylococcus aureus infections. N Engl J Med 2002; 346:1871.
30.*Harbarth, S, Dharan, S, Liassine, N, et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial to evaluate the efficacy of mupirocin for eradicating carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1999; 43:1412.
31.*Loeb, M, Main, C, Walker-Dilks, C, Eady, A. Antimicrobial drugs for treating methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; :CD003340.
32.*Parras, F, Guerrero, MC, Bouza, E, et al. Comparative study of mupirocin and oral co-trimoxazole plus topical fusidic acid in eradication of nasal carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1995; 39:175.
33. *Muder, RR, Boldin, M, Brennen, C, et al. A controlled trial of rifampicin, minocycline, and rifampicin plus minocycline for eradication of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in long-term care patients. J Antimicrob Chemother 1994; 34:189.
34.*Chang, SC, Hsieh, SM, Chen, ML, et al. Oral fusidic acid fails to eradicate methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization and results in emergence of fusidic acid-resistant strains. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2000; 36:131.
35.*Peterson, LR, Quick, JN, Jensen, B, et al. Emergence of ciprofloxacin resistance in nosocomial methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates. Resistance during ciprofloxacin plus rifampin therapy for methicillin-resistant S aureus colonization. Arch Intern Med 1990; 150:2151.
36.*Walsh, TJ, Standiford, HC, Reboli, AC, et al. Randomized double-blinded trial of rifampin with either novobiocin or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization: prevention of antimicrobial resistance and effect of host factors on outcome. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1993; 37:1334.
37.*Wertheim, HF, Vos, MC, Ott, A, et al. Mupirocin prophylaxis against nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus infections in nonsurgical patients: a randomized study. Ann Intern Med 2004; 140:419.
38.*Watanakunakorn, C, Axelson, C, Bota, B, Stahl, C. Mupirocin ointment with and without chlorhexidine baths in the eradication of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage in nursing home residents. Am J Infect Control 1995; 23:306.
39.*Simor, AE, Phillips, E, McGeer, A, et al. Randomized controlled trial of chlorhexidine gluconate for washing, intranasal mupirocin, and rifampin and doxycycline versus no treatment for the eradication of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44:178.
40. *Bradley, SF. Eradication or decolonization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage: what are we doing and why are we doing it?. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44:186.
41.*Irish, D, Eltringham, I, Teall, A, et al. Control of an outbreak of an epidemic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus also resistant to mupirocin. J Hosp Infect 1998; 39:19.
42.*Vasquez, JE, Walker, ES, Franzus, BW, et al. The epidemiology of mupirocin resistance among methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus at a Veterans' Affairs hospital. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000; 21:459.
43.*Shinefield, H, Black, S, Fattom, A, Horwith, G. Use of a Staphylococcus aureus conjugate vaccine in patients receiving hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 2002; 346:491.
44.*Cosgrove, SE, Carroll, KC, Perl, TM. Staphylococcus aureus with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 39:539.
45. *Hiramatsu, K, Hanaki, H, Ino, T, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical strain with reduced vancomycin susceptibility. J Antimicrob Chemother 1997; 40:135.
46.*Update: Staphylococcus aureus with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin--United States, 1997. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1997; 46:813.
47.*Fridkin, SK, Hageman, J, McDougal, LK, et al. Epidemiological and microbiological characterization of infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin, United States, 1997-2001. Clin Infect Dis 2003; 36:429.
48.*de Lassence, A, Hidri, N, Timsit, JF, et al. Control and outcome of a large outbreak of colonization and infection with glycopeptide-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus in an intensive care unit. Clin Infect Dis 2006; 42:170.
49.*Tenover, FC, Biddle, JW, Lancaster, MV. Increasing resistance to vancomycin and other glycopeptides in Staphylococcus aureus. Emerg Infect Dis 2001; 7:327.
50.*Tenover, FC, Lancaster, MV, Hill, BC, et al. Characterization of staphylococci with reduced susceptibilities to vancomycin and other glycopeptides. J Clin Microbiol 1998; 36:1020.
51.*Interim guidelines for prevention and control of Staphylococcal infection associated with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1997; 46:626.

MustafaMc
06-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't believe that the person with the Hemophilia is more biologically fit than someone without the mutated gene, we have no mutated gene that offers any sort of advantage over being fit, I know it was I who before gave the example of Sickle Cell trait, .... it just so happens that African Americans are more affected by sickle cell than other types of anemia, and that confers some immunity against Malaria. but they don't have an advantage otherwise...their life expectancy isn't greater than a person who is biologically more fit!

.....I have not learned of a mutation that say will bring about an X men type of community of super humans or offer some sort of advantage ... mutations whether (nonsense, missense frameshift, small insertions/deletions, and one larger deletion) result in prematurely truncated proteins, either causing a disease state, cancer or death, but not an advantage certainly not newer species...
Yet this process of random genetic mutations and natural selection is supposedly how we went from a common ancestor to the different species of living organisms - all without a Higher Power directing or controlling the process. The strict naturalistic evolutionists never cease to amaze me by stating that evolution without Intelligent Design is a scientifically feasable theory.

جوري
06-25-2007, 06:20 PM
BTW I wanted to add these two quotes, not to cement anything I stated, but just to show you most scientists aren't as the lay Atheists will have you believe.. the problem is science as we know it, isn't in concert with the bible, so they either have to change it (the bible that is) to a new improved version, take it as parables, or be adamant that science is wrong... Science is correct and is in perfect concert with the Quran!.. religion shouldn't negate science.. as far as I know only one religion doesn't!

John Polkinghorne, formerly a physicist at Cambridge University, concluded: "When you realize that the laws of nature must be incredibly finely tuned to produce the universe we see, that conspires to plant the idea that the universe did not just happen, but that there must be a purpose behind it."

Australian physicist Paul Davies made a similar point: "There is no doubt that many scientists are . . . scornful of the notion that there might exist a God, or even an impersonal creative principle." He added: "Personally I do not share their scorn. . . . I cannot believe that our existence in this universe is a mere quirk of fate, . . . an incidental blip in the great cosmic drama."

جوري
06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Yet this process of random genetic mutations and natural selection is supposedly how we went from a common ancestor to the different species of living organisms - all without a Higher Power directing or controlling the process. The strict naturalistic evolutionists never cease to amaze me by stating that evolution without Intelligent Design is a scientifically feasable theory.
those two PDF files I gave you one from a physics perspective, the other from a cellular perspective, go into painstaking details of the impossibility of a tiny cell even smaller than a virus and we all know that viruses really can't survive without a host for replication, but virtually the near impossibility of these phenomenal chances favorably happening, one after the next after the next without error to get us where we are today... I know both are quite a long read, but I really do think you'll enjoy them... the authors don't make the conclusion of G-D for you, they leave that to the reader to discern, but certainly discuss origins unfolding from scientific stand point to the place where we are today.. can't be anything but guided...

From experience, I find it futile to argue with atheists, they fancy themselves logical, and they are rude! In fact majority of them are "poetically and marginally scientific" if I can choose such terminology... just a few days ago, I discussed how our so-called earliest ancestor (coelacanth) which supposedly developed lungs and brains and walked on land is still found alive and swimming.. there is their missing link at the bottom of the ocean plus there are no intermediate fossils to confirm evolution!...
From this point onward, as far as evolutionist Atheists are concerned, I just say let's part ways amicably before it unfolds to another competition of vulgarity, which it almost always certainly degenerates to at some point of each debate!

ranma1/2
06-26-2007, 07:14 AM
A-nearly 0
B-1/2
C-1/4
D-1/8
E-1/10
F-1/32

thanks and good luck
So is the trait dominant or recessive?
Is the father or mother a carrerier or do they have the actual disease? " I assume they dont actualy have the problem so im assuming its not dominant"

If both are carriers id say...

Son Defective gene/ defective gene

Daughter Defective gene/ non defective or non defective / defective or non defective/ non defective.

Assuming parent are both carriers and she is a carrier then assuming her childs father is not and the disease is recessive.

Then id say no chance. Of course im in ahurry so i doubt im thiniking right.

argh got to go...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.