/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Some Troubles with Conversion

rezafan
06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
:sl:

I am a newcomer, and I mainly approach you because I've been fascinated by Islam, but something about conversion is troubling me. It's a bit hard to describe, but I just don't "feel" anything (anything being God's presence in my life). I don't like atheism because it seems hopeless to me. I think agnosticism is being indecisive, and I've recently been a Deist in that I believe some god set things in motion but does not really take part in the daily life of any human. I am not sure how to cross this bridge, because I cannot just ignore my gut feelings. However, Islam really appeals to me (I hope I am not contradicting myself). I feel...lost. Can someone please offer me words of wisdom, if they too have been in a similar situation? Or, maybe someone you know has been in a similar situation? Thank you all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-26-2007, 01:18 AM
If it helps any, I spent nearly 40 years thinking like that. The first 25 years of my Life I was deeply religious and really solidly believed in my religion and the existence of God(swt).

Than for the next 40 years were spent searching. I really did not have much believe than. I called myself a Buddhist, but was more of an agnostic.

finally when I was 65 years old Islam found me and I learned that Allah(swt) is truly real.

Hopefully you will not take as long as I did to discover God(swt) really does exist.

rezafan
06-26-2007, 01:29 AM
finally when I was 65 years old Islam found me and I learned that Allah(swt) is truly real.
Thanks, Woodrow. Will reading the Qur'an lead me in the right direction? I want to believe but I can't force anything upon myself. I'm hoping it won't take that long for me either lol.

Abdul Fattah
06-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I geuss you still have doubts, which is ok. If you were to convert without truly believing, for other purposes then in a way wouldn't you be lying to yourself? Maybe you just need some time, hang around, ask some questions, read some books. you'll get there inshaAllah. On the other hand, don't neglect it and leave it longer than necessarily. Always remember every moment could be your last. I remember first days when I started to begin to believe were very chaotic (in my mind). Do'nt be afraid to ask any follow up questions :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
06-26-2007, 01:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rezafan

I am a newcomer, and I mainly approach you because I've been fascinated by Islam, .....

Salaam/ peace ;
do u have any problem with Islam /Quran ?

PL. ask any question u want to know about Islam.....God Willing , we would love to answer.

IN the meantime , keep asking God ( He is very near to u ) to help u find Him.

take care. may God bless u :)

Verses of the day & night –“Say: O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Do you criticize us for no other reason than that we believe in God, and in (the revelation) which has been sent down before (us), and that most of you are faasiqoon (rebellious and disobedient [to God ])?”

[al-Maa’idah 5:59]

Woodrow
06-26-2007, 01:49 AM
The replies after mine pretty much say it all. Search with an open and honest heart and only revert if you truly believe. To revert without truly believing Islam is the Truth would be an injustice to your self. Nobody can or should be able to make you revert, that has to be your own genuine choice.

Most of us who have reverted tend to say we reverted instead of converted. Amazingly I never heard the term until I had reverted and when I reverted I felt that I had truly reverted to what I had always been and did not convert from anything.

I was not influenced by anybody, at the time I did not even know any Muslims and did not even know if there was a Mosque in Texas. I said the Shahadah just between Allah(swt) and myself. Very shortly after I met a Muslim man and he brought me to the Mosque in Tyler. I repeated the Shahadah then and there, in front of my new found brothers.

rezafan
06-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Actually, I have no problems with Islam or the Qur'an. I live in a community that is mostly Muslim (Dearborn MI), and something about this faith has always intrigued me. I just do not want to commit to the faith if I don't truly beleive. Muslim Woman, thanks for your advice, I plan to take it. Abdul Fattah, thank you for sharing your experiences with me.

I recently (last week) requested a Qur'an from CAIR, is this a reputable organization? I did so because they are offering Muhammad Asad's translation which I have heard is good for non-Muslims who wish to read the Qur'an. I have heard a lot for and against them, I was just wondering your takes on this group. They seem to do a lot of good.

Woodrow
06-26-2007, 02:00 AM
Actually, I have no problems with Islam or the Qur'an. I live in a community that is mostly Muslim (Dearborn MI), and something about this faith has always intrigued me. I just do not want to commit to the faith if I don't truly beleive. Muslim Woman, thanks for your advice, I plan to take it. Abdul Fattah, thank you for sharing your experiences with me.

I recently (last week) requested a Qur'an from CAIR, is this a reputable organization? I did so because they are offering Muhammad Asad's translation which I have heard is good for non-Muslims who wish to read the Qur'an. I have heard a lot for and against them, I was just wondering your takes on this group. They seem to do a lot of good.
I have not heard anything negative about the Asad translation that CAIR sends. I would suggest that you get several translations. You will find that Arabic does not translate into English. If you use a few different translations you will be better able to understand the actual concept of what is written. Each translator sheds a little more light and this will also give you an idea as to the full depth of the Arabic language.

Abdul-Raouf
06-26-2007, 02:13 AM
Welcome to the forum bro......

To know about Quran completely and perfectly, the best way is to learn Arabic Language (join an Arabic School)and then use it urself.... if that happens u will get abundant rewards from ALLAH.....

MuhammadRizan
06-26-2007, 04:01 AM

I am a newcomer, and I mainly approach you because I've been fascinated by Islam, but something about conversion is troubling me. It's a bit hard to describe, but I just don't "feel" anything (anything being God's presence in my life). I don't like atheism because it seems hopeless to me. I think agnosticism is being indecisive, and I've recently been a Deist in that I believe some god set things in motion but does not really take part in the daily life of any human. I am not sure how to cross this bridge, because I cannot just ignore my gut feelings. However, Islam really appeals to me (I hope I am not contradicting myself). I feel...lost. Can someone please offer me words of wisdom, if they too have been in a similar situation? Or, maybe someone you know has been in a similar situation? Thank you all.
welcome to the forum.

i'm a born Muslim, but yes, it's never make me better than anyone, basiccaly i feel the same like you in my teenage year, luckily i studied in religous school and i can ask any kind of question to the right person, and i think the most thing that touch me is when we're learning tafsir and tawhid.

I'm sure you've read those revert stories, and i'm sure u can see the 'pattern' right?,asking question-reading Quran-asking question. never forget to ask guidance from Allah.

spend your time studying islam, May Allah Bless you with His guidance, Amin.

Muslim Woman
06-26-2007, 12:11 PM

With the name of ALLAH ( God Almighty ) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Salaam/ peace ;

I recently (last week) requested a Qur'an from CAIR,
u may also browse the follwoing links to listen to Quran or watch Quran recitation.

http://www.lightuponlight.com/islam/...ownload&cid=16

U may ask for free CD here

Only for non-Muslims and New-Muslims living in USA, Canada

https://www.islamtomorrow.com/order/freecd.asp

I. A. I.

PO Box 23683

Alexandria, VA 22304
General E-Mail|

703-354-5224

FREE QURAN
[Noble Quran by Khan & Hilali]

Book A Tour

Tour at the Islamic Center of America

info@icofa.com

http://www.icofa.com/services/tours.html

Quran search :

(English Yusuf Ali, English Picktall, English Mohammad Asad, Turkish , Malay, French, Spanish, German)

Topic Search, Phonetic Search, Chapter Search, Topic Index.

Phonetic Search Lets you find verses in the Qur'an by queries such as "Inna atayna !..".

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/quran

Woodrow
06-26-2007, 01:45 PM

This is a fantastic Qur'an reciter program that I use. It is a huge download, but worth it. It has many options and can be tailored for language etc.

The first part consists of two downloads, the first part is here:

http://www.shaplus.com/free-quran-so...r-features.htm

the second part which is the Audio plug ins is here:

http://www.shaplus.com/free-quran-so.../quran-mp3.htm

Follow all of the instructions carefully to be certain you have all of the Audios and installed in the right place.

The program is easy to use, but like all things it does take some trial and error to learn how to use all of the features.

06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
You can read the Quran online here inshaallah (God willing)

http://www.ummah.com/what-is-islam/quran/naeindex.htm

May Allah guide you Amin :)

- Qatada -
06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Hey rezafan. :)

I think that reflecting on yourself is something which is praised, i usually reflect on myself to look at my personality, my attitude, the state of my heart, am i benefiting others? Am i being a good person? Or have i done more evil in my life than good? How can i make myself more positive? How can i remove the arrogance from my heart which may creep up every now and then? How can i draw closer to Allaah by doing this?

Allaah says in the Qur'an:
Do they not think deeply (in their ownselves) about themselves (how Allah created them from nothing, and similarly He will resurrect them)? Allah has created not the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, except with truth and for an appointed term. And indeed many of mankind deny the Meeting with their Lord.

[Qur'an 30: 8]

When i reflect upon myself, i feel that it has to be done for a purpose. This good which we do has to have a greater aim to it. Don't you feel good when you help a poor person? Someone in need? And don't you feel bad when you harm someone?

I look at how Allaah has given us wealth, He has given us the health to be able to earn it in the first place. Then i wonder, if i've got more than i need - shouldn't this really be used to benefit others? For instance, i've got some wealth, - i spend it on the things required. Then one may keep a certain amount for future purposes, and the remaining can be given to someone in need. Yes it's for the good, but doesn't Allaah recognise our good? If we do good for His sake, shouldn't our reward actually be from Him?

Allaah gives good to whomever He wills, i remember watching MTV Cribs a long while back, and i imagined - if Allaah gives the world to whomever He wills, even if that person doesn't even do much i.e. he's just a rapper/singer. Then wouldn't Allaah have a greater reward in store for one who does believe in Allaah's promise, and does good to earn His pleasure in order to get His reward?

Those who belie Allaah's promise, and don't do good for Allaah's pleasure, and they don't believe in His reward. Then Allaah doesn't need to give them that reward, since belief aswell as good action proves that one really wants that reward from Allaah. Whereas those who disbelieve, then why should Allaah reward them in the hereafter if they reject it? So instead - Allaah will give them good in this life, maybe they will die being a well known famous figure, or a wealthy person, or having an easier life. But should they really be rewarded in the hereafter if they rejected it, or claimed that Allaah lied?

When you say that people are different in many ways, that is totally true. We all have good and bad within us. Yet these can either draw us closer to Allaah, or they can distance us from Allaah.

I.e. Allaah may have given someone wealth, now wealth in of itself isn't evil. Yet what the person spends it on will be the outcome. Someone may spend it on harming innocents for example, or the person may use the wealth to help those who are in need. Depending on what the wealth is used for, along with the intention - the person will get the respective good (i.e. more reward from Allaah) from it or evil (His displeasure.)

We as Muslims believe that this life is temporary, we are created by Allaah, and yes - we are created to worship Him. But wait, worship doesn't just mean to continuously pray, fast, etc. Worship in the Islamic context is anything which is loved by Allaah. So for example, if a guy gives food to his wife, he is fulfilling a duty which is loved by Allaah. Since you intended to draw closer to Allaah by feeding your wife, then that is an act of worship in of itself. Therefore, you would gain Allaah's pleasure, therefore be rewarded by Him inshaa Allaah (God willing.)

Similarly, all aspects of our life can be a means of drawing closer to our Creator, and Sustainer.

Along with these acts of worship, we are also obligated to thank Allaah for the good which He has bestowed upon us. We are obligated to worship Allaah (which includes the 5 daily prayers) - so that we remain firm upon the correct path. During each prayer, we recite to Allaah - "Guide us to the Straight Path.." - if one stops praying to Allaah, they usually break their contact with Him due to the excessive distractions of this life. Therefore an obligation makes the believer firm upon keeping their duty to Allaah so they remain upon the correct straight path which leads to Him (The Siraat Al Mustaqeem.)

Therefore, if one asks why Allaah asks us to worship Him - the answer is so we remain aware of God, so we continue doing good to please Him and earn His pleasure, so we abstain from the evil which He has forbidden us from - which is harm in of itself, and that is why it is forbidden.

Islaam is the religion of ALL the Prophets of Allaah, including Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus son of Mary, Muhammad (peace be upon them) and all the 124,000 Prophets of God. They all called to the worship of Allaah, our Creator and Sustainer Alone. And it was sent to unite mankind on where they differed, so they could live together in peace and kindness with no injustice upon anyone.

Allaah has made us all under different situations, different circumstances, and we are all tried/trialled under different ways.

Some are trialled through excessive wealth (will they remain good/sincere/obedient to Allaah with all this power in their hands? or will they abuse it and fall into evil?) Allaah also tests people under poverty, will they remain steadfast? Allaah tries all of us in different ways, and He is the All-Knowing, He never overburdens a soul with what it cannot bear. And without a doubt, after hardship He grants ease. These trials can either raise someone high in Allaah's sight, or they can make someone the lowest of the low - if they were to follow their vain/false desires, and channel them in an impermissible way.

Sometimes your prayers not always answered, Allaah says in the Qur'an:
..it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.

[Qur'an 2: 216]

We are bound by time, we do not know the future. We are stuck in the present, yet Allaah is the All Knowing, Wise and He is outside the boundaries of time. Therefore, He may not answer a prayer of ours, knowing that it is harmful for us in the future. And He may delay it, knowing that in the future there is more of a greater benefit to it.

This may be the answer to why prayers are responded to at one time, yet not responded to immediately within another time.

However, for a believer - there is good in both ways. If your prayer isn't answered in this life, then Allaah will save an even greater reward for the believer in Paradise.

Allaah says:
“O My slaves, all of you are astray except those whom I guide, so ask Me for guidance, and I will guide you. O My slaves, all of you are hungry except those whom I feed, so ask me for food and I will feed you. O My slaves, all of you are naked except those whom I clothe, so ask Me for clothing and I will clothe you. … O My slaves, if the first of you and the last of you, your humans and your jinn, were to stand on a single plain and ask of Me and I were to give each one what he asked for, that would not cause any loss to Me greater than what is lost when a needle is dipped into the sea.”

Narrated by Muslim (2577).

And He also says:

Allah the Almighty said:

I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

So ask Allaah, and He will guide you. :)

I think one of the better meaning of the translation of Qur'an is the Muhsin Khan translation.

And if you have anymore questions, please do ask. And Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

rezafan
06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
This was very helpful. Thank you Qatada, Rose_Ice, Woodrow, and MuhammadRizan. If I haven't thanked any others I'll extend my thanks right now, I've read every single post and have taken each into consideration. I think I will spend some time studying Islam and reading the Qur'an, and coming here with any questions I may have along the way. Thank you for being supportive and for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

One last thing. May I just read the Qur'an straight through or should I start with certain sections? Not to make any comparison with the Bible, but I have been told not to start at the beginning of the Bible if I want to learn about God. I was wondering if it is better that I go cover to cover with the Qur'an, asking questions along the way to clear any fog.

- Qatada -
06-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Hey rezafan. :)

Sure you can, you can open up any chapter (surah) of the Qur'an and start reading from there. It's upto you which one you want to read, maybe try reading a chapter title and see which one catches your interest?

The reason why i'm saying this is because Allaah (God) has sent the Qur'an in a way that it discusses many topics within different chapters, that's so we don't be like the people of the earlier times who kept a portion of the scripture which they preferred while throwing another part behind their backs. Therefore most of the topics are repeated in different ways through the Qur'an in order for man to reflect, and to realise the simplicity of the message.

Therefore our answer to you would be to read any chapter which you feel you are interested in, and then after that - whenever you have any questions, you can ask on the forum and we will be willing to help you out insha Allaah (God willing.) :)

Also continue asking God to guide you, and us all to the correct way which leads to Him, His Mercy and His Paradise. Ameen.

Peace.

Woodrow
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Off Course you can begin reading any place you desire. It is quite a book. My personal preference is to read Surah 1, first anytime I open the Qur'an. It is the first Surah and one of the shortest. Yet to me it seems to be a perfect summation of what the Qur'an is. To me the remainder of the Qur'an is an explanation as to how to understand and achieve Surah 1

UmmSqueakster
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
The Muhammad Asad translation is my favorite. I find the footnotes to be very helpful.

Here are a few suggestions I have that I've decided upon as a convert myself and with feedback from non muslims reading the Qur'an:

1. Start at the end. The Qur'an in book form is not the same order in which it was revealed. It's roughly in order of length - longest surahs (chapters) first, shorter ones at the end. I took a religious texts course in college, and the muslim TA suggested selections from surahs 2-4 for the class to read. Unfortunately, the professor just put surahs 2-4 down in their entirety, which turned out to be tooo long and difficult for the class to wade through. Start with Surah 1, which plays an important role in muslims' every day life, as it is recited numerous times during out salat (daily prayers). Then, hop to around surah 80 and read to the end. Other surahs I would read after that are Yusuf (surah 12), Maryam (19) Al-Rahman (55) and Ya-Seen (36). These give a good flavor and sampling of the style of the quran. After that, you can go back to the beginning and read on through.

2. Read aloud. At least in my own experience, I tend to skim things if I read silently. By reading allowed, I force myself to concentrate on every word, and get a lot more meaning out of it.

for other helpful things about islam, check the link in my signature, and feel free to contact me. I've been there, done that, as they say :D

جوري
06-27-2007, 04:21 AM
This was very helpful. Thank you Qatada, Rose_Ice, Woodrow, and MuhammadRizan. If I haven't thanked any others I'll extend my thanks right now, I've read every single post and have taken each into consideration. I think I will spend some time studying Islam and reading the Qur'an, and coming here with any questions I may have along the way. Thank you for being supportive and for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

One last thing. May I just read the Qur'an straight through or should I start with certain sections? Not to make any comparison with the Bible, but I have been told not to start at the beginning of the Bible if I want to learn about God. I was wondering if it is better that I go cover to cover with the Qur'an, asking questions along the way to clear any fog.

:sl: New comer and welcome to LI
I'd like to share with you this site, which is a very quick read by Dr. Gary Miller who studied the Quran for 20 yrs. He is a former priest..

http://thetruereligion.org/modules/w...p?articleid=90
as a sort of preamble before you read the Noble Quran-- perhaps it might shed some light on some of the things that make us consider the Quran truly amazing..
I wish you well on your quest insha'Allah
:w:

Umar001
06-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Howdy,

If I'm allowed then I rather be abit more to the point than others. I was wondering, if I read right something about God's presence not being felt was what came up, may I ask what type of experience you are expecting?

Regards Eesa

rezafan
06-28-2007, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Howdy,

If I'm allowed then I rather be abit more to the point than others. I was wondering, if I read right something about God's presence not being felt was what came up, may I ask what type of experience you are expecting?

Regards Eesa
I am not sure that I am expecting anything in particular. Thus far I have just had trouble seeing the influence of God upon my daily life, I am not sure if I need to even expect this, though. It seems to me I am not yet ready to bridge the gap between my current views and Islam, though I am definitely studying this religion because it fascinates me. Perhaps after reading the Qur'an and asking questions to better understand its message, something will change. I am unhappy with my current religious views (or lack thereof) because they offer little hope for me, but I don't see it right to adopt Islam if I don't fully understand its message.

vorx
07-03-2007, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

A personal question for you. I wish you aren't in denial but, when you made the decision that God is truly real because you know your life span is soon to end and you had to make a decision before you die?

It might be a horrible thing to say to some people but as far as i am concerned we all die at a certain point or an other.

peace

Woodrow
07-04-2007, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by vorx
A personal question for you. I wish you aren't in denial but, when you made the decision that God is truly real because you know your life span is soon to end and you had to make a decision before you die?

It might be a horrible thing to say to some people but as far as i am concerned we all die at a certain point or an other.

peace
That is a fair enough question. However, I have long outlived my life expectancy. The closest I was to death was when I was 23 years old. That was a very touch and go year. I won't go into details over that.

When I reverted I had absolutely no desire to revert and was pretty well content with my life. This was not a conscious effort on my part. In fact if you had asked me the day before I reverted I would have told you there would be no way I would ever become a Muslim.

Yes when I reached 65 I was/am very much aware of how fragile life is and that virtually all of my life has been used up. I have no problem with that. The physical aspects of death are of no concern to me. I view death as being a natural process of life and it is no more nor any less than birth. Paradoxically in the national culture I grew up in I was raised to mourn birth and rejoice at death.

Islam, truly found me I was not searching for Allah(swt) it is only through the mercy of Allah(swt) that my eyes were opened.

Andrew
07-09-2007, 08:22 AM
That sounds very interesting, do you mind sharing with us what it was that made you revert? If I am being too rude by asking please forgive me.

Woodrow
07-09-2007, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andrew
That sounds very interesting, do you mind sharing with us what it was that made you revert? If I am being too rude by asking please forgive me.
No you are not being rude and I am very happy to share.

The story of my reverting is posted here.

http://www.islamicboard.com/323571-post125.html

It was really quite an experience for me. I was simply reading the Qur'an from a scholastic view. I'm a person who is intrigued by languages and their development. The Semitic languages are my favorite. The Qur'an is especially interesting from a literary view as it is the only Book written in that particular form of Arabic and in really a very fascinating study as to the use of language.

The only thing I can compare it to would be to ask a person to write a song to the tune of the "Mozart's Fifth" yet have it carry very explicit, clear instructions on how to live. What makes it very unusual is that while Arabic has different dialects and often the speaker of one dialect can not understand the speaker of another, everybody who can read Arabic can comprehend the Qur'an with ease.

Now to get back, that day when I was reading it, a very strange warmth and feeling of peace came over me. I could not stop reading. It was beyond just reading words it was like a visual presentation of the Qur'an was unfolding. I no longer saw it as literature, I felt it as a way of life and knew it was truly the word of Allah(swt). It no longer was a book, it was Islam.

Andrew
07-09-2007, 03:36 PM
wow that is a great story Woodrow, thank you for sharing it with me

glo
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM

Greetings, rezafan

I am not a Muslim, but I have read this thread with interest.

With regards to you noticing a 'lack of God's presence' in your life, this sentence struck me as important (It's from the link Woodrow provided to his reversion story):
For some reason, it looked different. I was not looking at it as a scholar, I was FEELING it, I do not know how long or how many times I read it in the next day or two.
I am not sure if everybody else will share my (and seemingly Woodrow's) view, but I do believe strongly that we can actually have a real sense of God's presence in our lives!
Different people experience it to a greater or lesser degree, and in different ways - but it is there ...

A religion without that connection would - in my mind - be dead and meaningless ...

Do not worry if you cannot feel God in your life at the moment.

I believe that if you seek him in quiet times, through reading and in contemplation, he will reveal himself to you.

And when he does, it will be like your eyes are opened for the first time, as if you see and read and hear and feel everything for the very first time! :)

Peace ... and enjoy your journey. Be expectant! :)

MaiCarInMtl
07-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Rezafan,

I think I am going through something very similar to you. I believe in God, but I'm not so sure he always plays an active part in daily life.

I find the religion I was born into leaves a lot of questions unanswered and I have various issues with it (it can be hard to explain).

I'm very interested and intrigued by Islam, but I just want to make sure that this is what is right for me before I convert/revert as my relationship with god is very important and I wouldn't want to rush into something. At times I get very excited about the religion but I tell myself to slow down and to read more (I have started reading an English translation of the Qur'an). Sometimes I feel it is hard to take my time because I do get excited, but also because some people are pushing me a bit too much (the husband of a muslim acquaintance calls me his "sister" even though I have not said the Shahada). I wouldn't give it too much thought, but he's a bit pushy on other things so this kind of behaviour actually scares me a way a bit.

Either way, I believe God will let me know when the time is right. In the meantime, I'll keep talking to people, asking questions and reading.

Best of luck with your search!

Dawud_uk
07-27-2007, 03:38 PM

peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence,

i can simpathise with you, i started off atheist, then become a believer in a creator but i couldnt believe the bible was true given its corruptions and errors.

i went around looking at different faiths and philosophies looking for what God would want me to do, eventually i looked into islam and i found it to be the perfect faith,

after that it become easy to follow the religion that God had obviously to me designed for mankind, true guidence showing mankind how he was supposed to live if he wanted to please God.

anyway, may Allah guide you on your journey and i hope you find everyone here helpful and feel free to ask me any questions as someone who was once in the same position you are in now.

Abu Abdullah

ummzayd
07-27-2007, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Now to get back, that day when I was reading it, a very strange warmth and feeling of peace came over me. I could not stop reading. It was beyond just reading words it was like a visual presentation of the Qur'an was unfolding. I no longer saw it as literature, I felt it as a way of life and knew it was truly the word of Allah(swt). It no longer was a book, it was Islam.

something similar happened to me. I had already accepted the logic and truth of Qur'an and Islamic teachings and attempted to pray but I don't feel Islam really entered my heart until reading the qur'an one day (as I had been doing every day) and suddenly it came alive - subhanAllah as you say, such a feeling of peace and warmth and happiness came over me, and I learned so much more from that reading than I had ever learned before. alhamdulillah it is still the case. I had actually bought a qur'an 10 years before I became Muslim but did not get anything at all from it. I think the fact that I was sceptical and actually a bit hostile to Islam had a lot to do with the reasons why its wisdom and beauty and truth were totally padlocked against me!

well brother it took you a long time to become Muslim but masha'Allah it seems to me you have come a long way in 2 years. All thanks and praise to Allah for guiding us to the beauty and truth of Islam and may he continue to guide and bless us all and keep us on the straight path ameen.

I also wanted to say to the original poster to just keep on praying to God and asking Him to guide you, if you sincerely desire to have that close connection to God then of a certainty He will give you what you ask for. There is a beautiful saying from God, that if we come towards him by the distance of a hand's span, he comes towards us as much as an arm's length, and if we go to him walking, he comes to us running. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes as it beautifully illustrates the love and mercy that God has for us. May God bless you and guide you, at whatever pace is best for you.

YusufNoor
08-01-2007, 05:23 AM
I am not sure that I am expecting anything in particular. Thus far I have just had trouble seeing the influence of God upon my daily life, I am not sure if I need to even expect this, though. It seems to me I am not yet ready to bridge the gap between my current views and Islam, though I am definitely studying this religion because it fascinates me. Perhaps after reading the Qur'an and asking questions to better understand its message, something will change. I am unhappy with my current religious views (or lack thereof) because they offer little hope for me, but I don't see it right to adopt Islam if I don't fully understand its message.
Peace be upon those who follow guidance,

Greetings rezafan,

i'm a revert of 16 months, Asad's translation is my favorite English translation and i found his notes so interesting that i would jump forward and back when other notes were referenced. it's NOT the be all end all translation, however and some of his views differ from the mainstream but he DOES explain himself rather nicely.

i would recommend some Seerah (life of the Prophet[pbuh]), in conjunction with reading the Qur'an. if brother Qatada doesn't hook you up with a link, then Insha' Allah, i will post a link to a really good audio Seerah study group. the Qur'an makes much more sense and has a greater impact when one sees some of the how, when and why of revelation. (you will also see why someone suggested that you begin in the end as those are mostly Makkan Surah's and they deal with what Islamic beliefs are as opposed to Medinian Surah's which can deal with Sharia law since the tiny Muslim nation started there)

there may also be some good video links posted in the media section or perhaps brother Fi_Sibilillah, OOOOPS :giggling: , Qatada can paste a link or 2 to a good Khalid Yasin video.

keep in mind that Islam IS a way of life that DOES reflect reason. you might not "feel anything" however. you may need to SUBMIT to the laws and in due time "that feeling" or Hidayah (guidance) may be right around the corner.

i would suggest studying the Messenger of Allah's(pbuh) life as much as the Qur'an. they go together and are really inseperable as we follow his(pbuh) Sunnah (example) as well as the Qur'an.

as others stated, May Allah(swt) guide you on your journey.

Yusuf

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.