/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Good News From Iran!

Sinbad
06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Iran fuel rations spark violence
Several petrol stations have been torched in the Iranian capital Tehran, after the government announced fuel rationing for private vehicles.
Windows were smashed and stones thrown at the stations, and there was traffic chaos as motorists queued to buy fuel.

Iranians were given only two hours' notice of the move that limits private drivers to 100 litres of fuel a month.

Despite its huge energy reserves, Iran lacks refining capacity and it imports about 40% of its petrol.

Rationing is not bad by itself but it must be organised... one cannot announce at 9pm that the rationing would start at midnight, they should have announced the exact date days earlier
Tehran motorist
Iran has a large budget deficit largely caused by fuel subsidies and the inflation rate is estimated at 20-30%.

The BBC Tehran correspondent Frances Harrison says Iran is trying to rein in fuel consumption over fears of possible UN sanctions over its nuclear programme.

Iran fears the West could impose sanctions on its petrol imports and cripple its economy.

'Dangerous move'

There was violence in nine areas of Tehran as angry youths attacked petrol stations, Raja News, a website linked to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, reported.

Reports of attacks on petrol stations elsewhere in the country could not be confirmed.

Some people came on foot with jerry cans and plastic bottles and the police were out in force to stem unrest, amid reports of scuffles at petrol stations.

The restrictions began at midnight local time on Wednesday (2030 GMT Tuesday) and would continue for four months - with a possible extension to six months - the government said.

There is anger and frustration the government did not give people more notice. Some MPs have called for an end to the rationing and parliament may postpone its summer recess to deal with the crisis.

"Guns, fireworks, tanks, [President] Ahmadinejad should be killed," chanted angry youths, throwing stones at police.

The protests are the first large-scale outpouring of anger against the Iranian government since Mr Ahmadinejad took office in 2005.

"I think rationing is not bad by itself but it must be organised," one man told the Associated Press news agency.

"One cannot announce at 9pm that the rationing would start at midnight, they should have announced the exact date at least two days earlier."

Iran's petrol is heavily subsidised, sold at about a fifth of its real cost.

The price of 1,000 rials ($0.11) per litre makes Iran one of the cheapest countries in the world for motorists.

So far there has been no announcement about whether Iranians can buy more petrol at the real market cost.

Licensed taxi drivers will be able to buy 800 litres a month at the subsidised price.

US pressure

Our correspondent says rationing fuel is only likely to add to high inflation.

It is a dangerous move for any elected government, especially in an oil-rich country like Iran, where people think cheap fuel is their birthright and public transport is very limited, she says.

The US, which is leading efforts to pressure Iran to suspend its uranium enrichment activities, has said Iran's fuel imports are a point of "leverage".

Washington and other Western nations accuse the Islamic Republic of seeking to build nuclear weapons.

Iran says its nuclear programme is entirely peaceful and is solely aimed at producing civilian nuclear power.

BBC Middle East analyst Roger Hardy says there is no sign of Iran backing down politically on the nuclear issue.

But in economic terms, the international pressure is having some effect.

Foreign companies are less willing to invest in Iran, and foreign banks are withholding credit.

For the Iranian authorities, images of angry motorists attacking petrol stations create an unwelcome impression of economic vulnerability, our correspondent adds.

Are you in Iran? Have you been affected by the rationing? If you have any information you would like to share with the BBC you can do so using the form below:

Name:
Email address:
Town and Country:
Phone number (optional):
Comments:
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...st/6243644.stm

Published: 2007/06/27 09:04:17 GMT

© BBC MMVII

--------------------------------------------

Time of crizis is time for revolution! The Islamic Republics days are numbered!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tomtomsmom
06-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Sorry but I fail to see how that is good news. Did I miss something?

Sinbad
06-27-2007, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Sorry but I fail to see how that is good news. Did I miss something?
yes? This means chaos, inflation, loss of transportation. All you can imagine.

When there is chaos there will be uprising, and then this islamistic nightmare might end.

tomtomsmom
06-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Sorry if I can't understand why any country being in turmoil is a good thing.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
06-27-2007, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sinbad
Iran fuel rations spark violence
Several petrol stations have been torched in the Iranian capital Tehran, after the government announced fuel rationing for private vehicles.
Windows were smashed and stones thrown at the stations, and there was traffic chaos as motorists queued to buy fuel.

Iran fears the West could impose sanctions on its petrol imports and cripple its economy.

There was violence in nine areas of Tehran as angry youths attacked petrol stations, Raja News, a website linked to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, reported.

"Guns, fireworks, tanks, [President] Ahmadinejad should be killed," chanted angry youths, throwing stones at police.

The protests are the first large-scale outpouring of anger against the Iranian government since Mr Ahmadinejad took office in 2005.

Our correspondent says rationing fuel is only likely to add to high inflation.

But in economic terms, the international pressure is having some effect.

Foreign companies are less willing to invest in Iran, and foreign banks are withholding credit.

For the Iranian authorities, images of angry motorists attacking petrol stations create an unwelcome impression of economic vulnerability, our correspondent adds.
Iranians are wild

Cognescenti
06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Sorry if I can't understand why any country being in turmoil is a good thing.
Being in turmoil from gas rationing is superior to B2 bombers dropping bombs on every power station and hydroelectric dam.

This is how economic sanctions work when they actually do work...which isn't all that often.

Of course, there are much longer term issues in the Iranian economy that have a lot more to do with foolish decisions in the past. What idiot would spend capital building a gasoline refining plant in Iran now...just to have it blown to bits if things go into the dumpster.

Trumble
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
I was amazed to read the Iranians imported so much petrol. Perhaps this problem could have been avoided if the money spent on nuclear reactors had been spent on oil refineries instead?!

MuhammadRizan
06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
no wonder everybodies smiling about this good news right now,
how convinient to Iranian 'being wild' at this point of time.

Soooo easy to liberate them once and for all..right everybody?

Cognescenti
06-27-2007, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadRizan
no wonder everybodies smiling about this good news right now,
how convinient to Iranian 'being wild' at this point of time.

Soooo easy to liberate them once and for all..right everybody?
Liberate? Who said anything about liberation? A simple collapse into economic malaise and stagnation and a turning inward to solve their own problems (instead of pretending they are some kind of regional power) would be sufficient.

Of course, it would be a good chuckle if Amedinajad were set upon by an angry mob in a gasoline queue.

Zman
06-27-2007, 10:55 PM
:sl:

Amazing how some people are salivating from sheer delight at this chaos and any future economic collapse of another nation...

wilberhum
06-27-2007, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

Amazing how some people are salivating from sheer delight at this chaos and any future economic collapse of another nation...
Not too amazing when you stop and think there are people who spends there day finding American hate messages. :-[

wilberhum
06-27-2007, 11:04 PM
What ever happened to "Death to America"? :D :D :D
Maybe creating hate rallies wasn't such a good idea. :? :skeleton:

Zman
06-27-2007, 11:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Not too amazing when you stop and think there are people who spends there day finding American hate messages. :-[
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
What ever happened to "Death to America"? :D :D :D

Maybe creating hate rallies wasn't such a good idea. :? :skeleton:

We've issued our own hate messages and are constantly demonizing Iran and inciting violence against Iranians.

1. Axis of Evil: not a very positive or peaceful term, that will encourage anyone to seek a negotiated solution.

2. Evil doers.

3. The Mullahs of Tehran.

4. Wanting to take implement a war crimes tribunal because Irans prez allegedly called for the wiping of Israel off the map (which he did not say, and his statements were deliberately mistranslated.

Now, Netanyahu and some American lawmakers want to charge Iran for a "genocide," that didn't even occur.

5. "All options are on the table, including the military option."

And, so on...

Sinbad
06-27-2007, 11:42 PM

I am Iranian. You might think Iran is all good but it has been in turmoil 30 years.

The Iranian goverment sends bilions to Hamas, bilions to hezballah in Lebanon, billions to the iraqis so USA is losing.
Those money could have been invested in Iranian refineries, but no they rather be good muslims and help other muslims rather than Iran itself!

barney
06-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Go! Go! Iranians!

Second revolution! Yay!

Only problem is if it actually was a revolution, they would install something even more hardline fundamentalist rather than looking at Turkey's example.

Sinbad
06-28-2007, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Go! Go! Iranians!

Second revolution! Yay!

Only problem is if it actually was a revolution, they would install something even more hardline fundamentalist rather than looking at Turkey's example.
Turkey didnt have a revolution, Kemal Attatürk was a smart general, he made things slowly. The Shah of Iran made things to fast, the economy collapsed, the revolution was on.

Islam in Iran is pretty much dead, Its kind of sad it has been a part of Iran for a long time, a lot of landmarks et c. But changes happen I guess, North Africa was all christian one time et c.

barney
06-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Yah, i was meaning more as an oppotuinity for change that they should look to Turkey as a example. Rich prosperous, free(ish), respected, powerful.

You say that Islam is dead in Iran, I would disagree. Hey your Iranian, so you know better than me, but it looks to be flourishing at the grass roots level of the public.
The people chanting "death to America" in their millions are not purely doing it because a lack of support of the government leads to imprisonment. It's because the very framework of the country is built on hate of the infidel to direct attention away from internal decay. (not too keen on the arabs either....poor Iran :( )

Zman
06-28-2007, 12:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sinbad
I am Iranian. You might think Iran is all good but it has been in turmoil 30 years.

The Iranian goverment sends bilions to Hamas, bilions to hezballah in Lebanon, billions to the iraqis so USA is losing.
Those money could have been invested in Iranian refineries, but no they rather be good muslims and help other muslims rather than Iran itself!

What's wrong wit aiding Muslims who are being oppressed and occupied?

America & other nations spend money and arms on nations who are battling Muslims, sowing violence and coups around the world.

It's only logical that Iran apply the same policy in order to neutralize Western interference...

Zman
06-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Yah, i was meaning more as an oppotuinity for change that they should look to Turkey as a example. Rich prosperous, free(ish), respected, powerful.

Rich & prosperous in what manner? (No disrespect to any Turkish members on this forum).

How is Turkey truly "free(ish) when the EU keeps interfering in its internal affairs and demanding that it changes its internal laws?

How is Turkey respected, when the EU refuses to admit her into this exclusive club?

Turkey is good enough to contribute to NATO, in the defence of Europe (It placed its entire armed forces of 800,000 men--the second largest contribution to NATO, after the U.S.--but it's not good enough to be admitted into the EU).

That's some kind of respect...

barney
06-28-2007, 12:26 AM

Simply put, because Hamas's way of freeing the "oppressed" & "Occupied" palastinians, is to deliberatly butcher innocents in some nutty theory that this will solve anything.

MuhammadRizan
06-28-2007, 01:11 AM
salam.

Liberate? Who said anything about liberation? A simple collapse into economic malaise and stagnation and a turning inward to solve their own problems (instead of pretending they are some kind of regional power) would be sufficient.

Of course, it would be a good chuckle if Amedinajad were set upon by an angry mob in a gasoline queue.
What? i'm wrong? again?

Sinbad
06-28-2007, 01:26 AM

America & other nations spend money and arms on nations who are battling Muslims, sowing violence and coups around the world.

It's only logical that Iran apply the same policy in order to neutralize Western interference...
Its fine helping muslims and all people. But not when the Iranian people need help first.

And one thing bothers me, The Palestinians hate Iran, they say death to the arabs enemies, Iran, Israel. They love Saddam, and they are pan arabist.

Sadam just gave money to suicide bombers, the pan arab nations like UAE dont give a **** about them. And their ony friend Iran is their enemy.
Palestinians are ungratefull pan arabistic saddam lovers.

barney
06-28-2007, 01:28 AM

How is Turkey truly "free(ish) when the EU keeps interfering in its internal affairs and demanding that it changes its internal laws?

How is Turkey respected, when the EU refuses to admit her into this exclusive club?

OOH! Sorry! Wont we let a country (that despite being the best of a bad bunch) still hasnt learned that decent human values includes not imprisoning your own people for dissent? Well tough. Get the Human rights sorted out and you can join. simple. Till then turkey is totally and utterly free to do as it wants. it's just if they cant be civilised then theyre not joining the club. It can keep its internal affairs if it so wishes. Better still....form its own club! Kuffar clubs are terrible!

As for the army, yeah, 800000 strong and it deploys a single battalion occassionally whilst weaker nations deploy Brigades, (and thats to help Muslim's in Kosovo).

It's EU Military Nato commitment was ONE brigade. One single Brigade. it withdrew that this febuary. Ohhh! NATO will so miss those 13000 men:rollseyes

All that said..i hope Iran , if It did undergo Revolution, was like Turkey. The Best of the rest.

Sinbad
06-28-2007, 01:31 AM

Rich & prosperous in what manner? (No disrespect to any Turkish members on this forum).

Turkey is good enough to contribute to NATO, in the defence of Europe (It placed its entire armed forces of 800,000 men--the second largest contribution to NATO, after the U.S.--but it's not good enough to be admitted into the EU).

That's some kind of respect...
I have a great respect for Turkey, Iran is 51% persian, almost 40% turkish. Iran is a land of many people, all proud Iranians. I can understand a little turkish myself.

However I must agree with you, Turkey isnt realy rich, YET! But its on the way and will be very soon. I have visited Turkey I saw a people all working together to improve the nation, its headed on the right direction.

And the EU is racist. When Syria wanted to join the EU, they said "we already have a nation like that on the line". They dont see any diffrence between Turkey or Afghanistan, its all the same to them.

Turkey will however come in, once it goten rich and EU wont hesitate.

Sinbad
06-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Just wanted to add, the death to America chanting is real. America put the shah tyrant in power. the shah kiled and tortured people.

Iran had a revolution in the 50s, it was democrasy! But America took him of power just as they would in Chile later. America kiled the democrasy.
America threatens to bomb, or even nuke Irans nuclear plants.

If China would have a navy outside of New York, If China would end the democrasy in America, If China would have installed a tyrant...

Would you chant, love China?

ps, they still love the American people.

snakelegs
06-28-2007, 01:41 AM

You say that Islam is dead in Iran, I would disagree. Hey your Iranian, so you know better than me, but it looks to be flourishing at the grass roots level of the public.
The people chanting "death to America" in their millions are not purely doing it because a lack of support of the government leads to imprisonment. It's because the very framework of the country is built on hate of the infidel to direct attention away from internal decay. (not too keen on the arabs either....poor Iran :( )
maybe it is not necessarily a love of religion, but an anger that the u.s. is setting the stage to launch an attack on their country. that would not be especially endearing.

Zman
06-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Simply put, because Hamas's way of freeing the "oppressed" & "Occupied" palastinians, is to deliberatly butcher innocents in some nutty theory that this will solve anything.

That's exactly what the Jewish people did to the Palestinians on their way to forming the state of Israel (and I'm not condoning the killing of civilians)...

barney
06-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Well what has the US done to set the stage?
Not ruled out any option...

Thats not setting the stage for invasion or even a bombing. It's just not ruling out a option.

Sticking 4 Carrier Battle Groups in the Gulf would set the stage. Setting a deadline would..

Up to press, all the stage setting for an attack has come from Ivehadmedinnerdad ranting about defeating a non-existant attack.

barney
06-28-2007, 01:53 AM

That's exactly what the Jewish people did to the Palestinians on their way to forming the state of Israel (and I'm not condoning the killing of civilians)...
Both sides were doing it. Now and for a long time , Israel goes out of it's way to use the riot guns on the rioters and the real guns on the "insurgants"

Palastinians go out of their way to hit the Buses the resteraunts the weddings, the shoppers.

Sure fight the Israeli's, fight their army. (nahh, a bit too hard..tried that 4 times and failed, so any jewish blood will do...thats the attitude.

Zman
06-28-2007, 02:13 AM
still hasnt learned that decent human values includes not imprisoning your own people for dissent?

We have our own ways of taking care of dissenters.

Get the Human rights sorted out
We no longer have the moral authority to speak of human rights.
it's just if they cant be civilised then theyre not joining the club.

It's funny how some Westerners speak of civility, while they commit war crimes against others, and curtail the freedoms of their own people.

Kuffar clubs are terrible!
They sure as hell are...
As for the army, yeah, 800000 strong and it deploys a single battalion occassionally whilst weaker nations deploy Brigades, (and thats to help Muslim's in Kosovo).
That's due to Western insistence on not having a Muslim nation deploy larger units to aid a Muslim minority, nor to police a non-Muslim group (as in Bosnia, with the Serbs).
It's EU Military Nato commitment was ONE brigade. One single Brigade. it withdrew that this febuary. Ohhh! NATO will so miss those 13000 men:rollseyes.
They sure will miss Turkeys help. That's why NATO can't do Jack on the global stage (in Afghanistan, for example, nor could day even handle a crisis on their own turf (Bosnia). They had to run to the Americans, so we can get their house in order, for them.

NATO members are only good for photo ops...

snakelegs
06-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Well what has the US done to set the stage?
Not ruled out any option...

Thats not setting the stage for invasion or even a bombing. It's just not ruling out a option.

Sticking 4 Carrier Battle Groups in the Gulf would set the stage. Setting a deadline would..

Up to press, all the stage setting for an attack has come from Ivehadmedinnerdad ranting about defeating a non-existant attack.
the u.s. has increased its presence in the gulf. but first you set the ideological stage - that process has been going on for months.
i do not like the government of iran and i find it downright frightening how ahmadinejad and bush share the same love of armeggon prophecy. i don't want a country like iran to have nukes. (actually i don't want any country to have them. but it is a sovereign nation, and a signer of the no proliferation treaty, which israel is not so they have just as much right to have them as israel does.

barney
06-28-2007, 02:38 AM

We have our own ways of taking care of dissenters.

We no longer have the moral authority to speak of human rights.

It's funny how some Westerners speak of civility, while they commit war crimes against others, and curtail the freedoms of their own people.

They sure as hell are...

That's due to Western insistence on not having a Muslim nation deploy larger units to aid a Muslim minority, nor to police a non-Muslim group (as in Bosnia, with the Serbs).

They sure will miss Turkeys help. That's why NATO can't do Jack on the global stage (in Afghanistan, for example, nor could day even handle a crisis on their own turf (Bosnia). They had to run to the Americans, so we can get their house in order, for them.

NATO members are only good for photo ops...
Ominous! Lets see, we stone them or torture em?
Because our Human rights are Inferior to that of Turkey? Or Iran? Or Saudi?
What war Crimes? Iraq? The bombs that missed the targets? All 1.4% of them
Then why is Turkey trying to join? Why do you think it's unfair that they cant? Dont cry about not being able to join something you dont want to!
Research please. NATO asks for troops, Countries offer them.it's Turkeys choice.
NATO had to run to the Americans? Did the Yanks sudenly leave NATO? Also NATO rescued Muslims from Serb genocide and are currently trying their best to rebuild Afganistan. Muslim countries are doing nothing...as usual...except feeding the taliban explosives. Yeah without those 700 troops that Turkey Occasionally throws in, NATO is doomed i tell ya doomed! http://www.axisglobe.com/article.asp?article=580

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.