/* */

PDA

View Full Version : India sealing Bangla border with barbed wire

AFDAL
06-27-2007, 12:49 PM
SUJATPUR (Bangladesh), 26 June – Everyone knew it was out there somewhere, an invisible line that cut through a cow pasture and, at least in theory, divided one nation from another. But no one saw it as a border. It was just a lumpy field of grass, uneven from the hooves of generations of cattle, and villagers crossed back and forth without even thinking about it.

Today, no one can ignore the line.

In a construction project that will eventually reach across 3,300 kilometre, hundreds of rivers and long stretches of forests and fields, India has been quietly sealing itself off from Bangladesh, its much poorer neighbour.

Sections totaling about 2,500 kilometres have been built in the past seven years.

In Sujatpur, a poor farming village, the frontier is now defined by two rows of 3-metre-high barbed wire barriers, the posts studded with ugly spikes the size of a toddler’s fingers. A smaller fence, and miles of barbed wire coils, fill the space in between. The expanse of steel, set into concrete, spills off toward the horizon in both directions.

“Before, it was like we were one country,” said Mohammed Iqbal, a Bangladeshi farmer walking near the border on a windy afternoon.

“I used to go over there just to pass the time.”

As he spoke, a cow wandered past, brass bells jangling around its neck. “But now that’s over,” he said.

In the United States, the decision to fence 1,100 kilometre of the Mexican border triggered months of political debate ranging across issues from immigration reform to the environmental impact. When Israel announced it would build a 680-kilometre barrier around the West Bank, an international outcry erupted.

But there has been barely a ripple over India’s far larger project, launched in earnest in 2000 amid growing fears in New Delhi about illegal immigration and cross-border terrorism.

The Bangladesh government made a few complaints, the fence felt like an insult, as if their country was a plague that needed to be quarantined but soon gave up.

India has become enamored with fences in recent years.

First it started closing off much of its border with Pakistan, trying to stop incursions by Muslim extremists. Then it turned to its other Muslim neighbour, Bangladesh, and has been building the fence intermittently ever since.

There’s no clear completion date for the $ 1.2 billion project, which when finished will nearly encircle Bangladesh, leaving open only its seacoast and its border of about 320 kilometres with Myanmar.

India believes some Indian militant groups are based in Bangladesh, a charge the Bangladeshi government denies.

But the larger fear in New Delhi is that illegal immigrants will flood out of Bangladesh, one of the world’s most crowded countries.

Its 150 million people, about half the US population, jam an area the size of Wisconsin, and the low-lying land is prone to devastating floods and typhoons. Scientists also warn that rising sea levels from global warming could force millions of Bangladeshis from their homes.

India already has millions of its own citizens living in desperate poverty, despite an economy growing at more than 8 per cent annually. Its population is approaching 1.2 billion and what little is left of its once-vast wilderness is being chewed up rapidly. – AP

:rollseyes

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AFDAL
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Look What the Indian TV is showing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it true ?????????????????

http://www.sudarshantv.com/tv/

Sinbad
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
They have to think of their own intresst.

Todays Pakistan and afghanistan and a large area of India belonged to Iran. in 1830 the brittish empire invaded Iran with Russia, the western terretories of Iran became India.

Nobody ever cared what they where, hindu, zoroastrian, shia, sunni, buddhist et c. The Brittish seperated people, "divide and counqer". later on India became indenpendent. But the division was still there and the brittish fueled it. Pakistan became the land of muslims, then Bangladesh.

There is no diffrence between them than what the brittish created.

Today India is one of the worlds fastest growing economies, and might one day become a major player in the world.

Bangladesh is getting worse, the nation gets poorer, the population is growing rapidly. People migrate to India to even have a chanse to live. But its a thorn on India and they will do all they can to prevent it.

ACC
06-27-2007, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sinbad
They have to think of their own intresst.

Todays Pakistan and afghanistan and a large area of India belonged to Iran. in 1830 the brittish empire invaded Iran with Russia, the western terretories of Iran became India.

Nobody ever cared what they where, hindu, zoroastrian, shia, sunni, buddhist et c. The Brittish seperated people, "divide and counqer". later on India became indenpendent. But the division was still there and the brittish fueled it. Pakistan became the land of muslims, then Bangladesh.

There is no diffrence between them than what the brittish created.

Today India is one of the worlds fastest growing economies, and might one day become a major player in the world.

Bangladesh is getting worse, the nation gets poorer, the population is growing rapidly. People migrate to India to even have a chanse to live. But its a thorn on India and they will do all they can to prevent it.
I was speaking with my father-in-law the other day and we were discussing the seperation of people. He mentioned that it seems like more and more barricades are being thrown up daily to seperate people based primarily on their economic class. It should be mentioned that I live in a gated upper middle class community and he lives in what can be regarded as a upper class gated community/country club. He said that it seems like tensions are rising and things feel like they will explode. I mentioned where we live because he said that our communities may be part of the problem.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AFDAL
06-27-2007, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ACC
I was speaking with my father-in-law the other day and we were discussing the seperation of people. He mentioned that it seems like more and more barricades are being thrown up daily to seperate people based primarily on their economic class. It should be mentioned that I live in a gated upper middle class community and he lives in what can be regarded as a upper class gated community/country club. He said that it seems like tensions are rising and things feel like they will explode. I mentioned where we live because he said that our communities may be part of the problem.
What you want to explain - by this ?:-[

Amadeus85
06-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Good fence makes good neighbours.
I support building the wall in southern USA near mexican border and i understand the reasons why India wants to do this. India has right to seperate itselfe from thousands of immigrants who come there illegally. Just like USA.

Sinbad
06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AFDAL
What you want to explain - by this ?:-[
Im not him, but its bad. Its like "we are better than you". Like the Palestinian wall it dosent stop terrorists, it only stops civilians.

ACC
06-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Im not him, but its bad. Its like "we are better than you". Like the Palestinian wall it dosent stop terrorists, it only stops civilians.
Yes, that is the basic idea.

barney
06-28-2007, 12:38 AM
The palastinian wall dosnt stop rockets fired over it, but it does drastically slow down suicide bombers.

Like in India, it's only going to be there whilst its useful.
When Germany kicked out the soviet union, there wasnt really any need any more to have a wall to stop citizens fleeing the torment of soviet rule. The berlin wall came down.

Once Islamic terorists stop shooting Indians and then fleeing back accross the border, the wire will come down.

Once Hamas stops trying to send suicide bombers into israel, the palastinian wall will come down.

The barbed wire that seperated Irish protestant from catholic is long melted into something much nicer.

Stop blowing stuff up and nice things happen.....Give it a try.

north_malaysian
06-28-2007, 06:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Good fence makes good neighbours.
Yes... it's true.

Malaysian government built a 27km WALL (made of bricks, 2.4 metre high) in our own land in Malaysian-Thai border.

And we have amicable relationship with Thailand.

Next wall, it would be in Malaysian-Indonesian border in Borneo.

Bittersteel
06-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Bangladesh is getting worse, the nation gets poorer, the population is growing rapidly.
Te nation isn't getting any poorer,we are just experiencing inflation for some time now.quite massive I admit,but our exports have grown tremendously as well as our GDP.If it weren't for Sheikh Hasina and the blockades our GDP growth would have been closer to 7%.
about the populations,steps have been taken to lower it and so far some measures have yielded results.
People migrate to India to even have a chanse to live.
People migrate from Indian to Bangladesh even.Illegal immigrants most of them.

But its a thorn on India and they will do all they can to prevent it.
India is a thorn on Bangladesh too.BSF incursions inside Bangladesh and killing of civilians and rape of Bangladeshi women(even Hindu women) have been reported by several human rights organisations.I would have been really happy if we erected a our own wall,but you see Indians come across to Bangladesh for work and vice versa.There are families on either side of the border.

Afdal no one here in Bangladesh give a **** what the Indians do or how they portray us in the media to their audiences.we as well as the governments of major world powers(UK,US,EU nations) know what truly Bangladesh is like:liberal,secular and corrupt and its getting more and more liberal these days so I agree its getting worse here.
the events caused by the militants were unfortunate.and India shouldn't lecture us on democracy and secularism.Everyone knows well enough how secular India is.

I don't want to be a blind patriot but Indian journalism isn't respected that much nowadays,even by the secularists and atheists.so don't believe everything the India media throws at you.we had numerous foreign citizens here in Bangladesh who were simply awed by what they saw.not everything is good or bad here just like in rest of the world.

siFilam
06-28-2007, 07:29 AM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful
:salamext:

format_quote Originally Posted by Aziz
If it weren't for Sheikh Hasina and the blockades our GDP growth would have been closer to 7%.
about the populations,steps have been taken to lower it and so far some measures have yielded results.
I don't think the country will prosper as long Sheikh Hasina and Khalida Zia and their respective parties try to regulate the country's affairs. the intern gov't should have exiled both of them. and you are right, India should be the last country to preach about human rights.

wasalam
-SI-

Bittersteel
06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I am tired of ignorant,India media-believing westerners and Indians saying this and that about Bangladesh.every foreigner who has come to this country has left it with different views(they wrote articles).Bangladesh is more liberal in some cases than India.for example some Indian provinces have got laws banning religious conversion,while in Bangladesh,nowadays,being religious means being of lower class or backwards.

God knows what,maybe India is still pissed off about the world cup.I mean they expected a lot from their team,:lol:.

woah,India's first socio-patriotic tv?what's this showing?the vid isn't being played.My net connection is not that good.
BDR and BSF have always accused each other for smuggling,killing of civilians.the Indian side has always been less cooperative in some issues like the last BNP government was in some issues.

KAding
06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
I disagree. The wall has been very effective in stopping Palestinians terrorists from getting into Israel. In Gaza for example the only real option they have now is to fire ineffectual rockets over the fence into a nearby town. The number of Israeli casualties has dropped significantly.

Israeli civilians killed in Israel mainly because of suicide bombings:

2001: 87 killed
2002: 184 killed
2003: 104 killed
2004: 53 killed
2005: 23 killed
2006: 10 killed

The Israeli security approach has been enormously effective in keeping out pissed off Palestinians determined to strike Israel. In the longer term real peace is required obviously, but the wall in itself has caused quite an enormous deescalation in the violence, the number of dead on Palestinian side has dropped just as fast. Not that this has been a good thing for the Pals politically, because it made the Israelis even stronger, why would they push for peace when the Pals can hardly hurt them?

Bittersteel
06-28-2007, 11:24 AM
a bit off-topic isn't it?
anyways Kading ,is the wall along the real borders,or Israel annexing more and more land by this method?

I don't the know about the all effects of the fence building along the Indo-Bangla border.People from either side will find it difficult to move to the other side especially people who doesn't work in their own country.

AFDAL
06-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Bangladesh is more liberal in some cases than India.for example some Indian provinces have got laws banning religious conversion,while in Bangladesh,nowadays,being religious means being of lower class or backwards.

God knows what,maybe India is still pissed off about the world cup.I mean they expected a lot from their team.

What do you want to mean by it ?

Please watch - it seems that you are a bangladeshi and a Tasleema Nasreen followers

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...77769&hl=en-GB

Bittersteel
06-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I am not a Taslima Nasreen follower.I always get angry when Indians say we are going to be the next taliban ruled country.I am not happy about the extreme liberism that is taking place here.and Taslima Nasreen is nothing but an attention seeking person to me.
India has launched an armada of propaganda against Bangladesh for the last 4 or 5 years,hoping they could use the current war on terror to their on advantage by labeling us a terrorist infested nation.

and I told you I believe the google vids don't work on my net connection.

AFDAL
06-30-2007, 01:27 PM
I am not a Taslima Nasreen follower.I always get angry when Indians say we are going to be the next taliban ruled country.
Why do you get angry when Indian say -------- ; does't it prove that you always here the Indians or is it the other way. It seems that you here 24 hrs a day 7 days a week - what the 15% Indian say. It is the fruit of your enslavement by your leaders who took the help of the 15% Indian in 1971.

Bittersteel
07-01-2007, 06:51 PM
http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/06/29/d70629061986.htm
Bangladeshi girl shot by BSF

A Bangladeshi girl was shot by Border Security Force (BSF) of India in the bordering area of Roumari upazila on Wednesday night.

The girl identified as Manjila, 11, was shot in her house near zero point at Dadbhanga as the BSF fired at cattle smugglers who were trying to enter Bangladesh over bribed fence near the demarcation pillar No: 1056, local people said.
Manjila was rushed to Roumari upazila health complex with bullet wounds.
BDR protested the incident and asked the BSF to refrain from opening fire on the innocent Bangladeshi nationals, they added.
^an incident.there have been some more abductions followed by it.

does't it prove that you always here the Indians or is it the other way.
our country is secular because our people are secular themselves.Most of them at least.Not all ,though, are complete liberals.we don't care what the Indians say.Its just that they have a habit of spreading lies to our donors in the west.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.