/* */

PDA

View Full Version : PC or Mac?

whitemuslimah
06-29-2007, 11:27 AM
I am considering buying a new notebook. I previously owned PC only and i am unfamiliar with Mac, only know it from reviews which are getting better and better. I generally use the computer for working with multimedia like making photo and video cds, transferring and editing video (amature level) and using the net.

Any fans of Mac out here and why? Anybody switched from PC to Mac at some point?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I think in your case would be best to look at the software you plan to use and see if it can all be found in MAC compatible versions. I am strictly PC, but that is because much of the software I use I can not find in a MAC version.

As far as the reliability of the OS, MAC does have PC beat. I'm stuck with PC, but only because I have tons of software that would be useless if I switched.

Encolpius
06-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I say PC. Though not with Vista. Macs are overpriced fashion accessories.

Yanal
06-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Asalam alkum i have a pc but i have a question what is a mac?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
06-30-2007, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Asalam alkum i have a pc but i have a question what is a mac?
PC=a computer with an MS operating system

A MAC has a Macintosh operating system. Apple is the Brand

You also have other operating systems such as Linux (which is the best)

vpb
06-30-2007, 07:28 AM
:sl:
I am considering buying a new notebook. I previously owned PC only and i am unfamiliar with Mac, only know it from reviews which are getting better and better. I generally use the computer for working with multimedia like making photo and video cds, transferring and editing video (amature level) and using the net.

Any fans of Mac out here and why? Anybody switched from PC to Mac at some point?
If you buy nowdays a MAC, you will be able to install Windows Operating system, if you are not satisfied with MAC Operating system. so I would recommend MAC, even though it is expensive.

Trumble
06-30-2007, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Encolpius
I say PC. Though not with Vista. Macs are overpriced fashion accessories.
Have you ever actually used a Mac?

Mac, by a mile, if the software you need to use allows you the choice. They are just so much less grief.

vpb
06-30-2007, 10:41 AM
just some MAC vs PC commercials. watch them. they're funny :)

Media Tags are no longer supported

S.A.
06-30-2007, 10:58 AM

Guys I think all of u have some sort of misunderstandng regardign these two terms. :D

PC and Notebook (Laptop)

PC = Personal Computer, which means any personal computer actually, with any operatign system not necessarily windows.

Notebook = a Laptop, and we all know wht a laptop is. A PC again but portable.

Windows and Mac

Windows is Operatign system from Microsoft Corporation

Mac is another line from Apple Computers

There are other operating systems besides Windows and Mac, like Linux.

(Windows Vista is not a different operating system., but its just a newer and lates version of the family of windows, by which i mean the latest was XP and now it is Vista.)

The thread starter should have used PC or Laptop(Notebook) for the poll (non portable vs. portable) OR

Windows or Mac (Misrosoft vs. Apple ).. Hope I have made the difference b/w them clear.

Babye.

vpb
06-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Guys I think all of u have some sort of misunderstandng regardign these two terms.

PC and Notebook (Laptop)

PC = Personal Computer, which means any personal computer actually, with any operatign system not necessarily windows.

Notebook = a Laptop, and we all know wht a laptop is. A PC again but portable.

Windows and Mac

Windows is Operatign system from Microsoft Corporation

Mac is another line from Apple Computers

There are other operating systems besides Windows and Mac, like Linux.

(Windows Vista is not a different operating system., but its just a newer and lates version of the family of windows, by which i mean the latest was XP and now it is Vista.)

The thread starter should have used PC or Laptop(Notebook) for the poll (non portable vs. portable) OR

Windows or Mac (Misrosoft vs. Apple ).. Hope I have made the difference b/w them clear.
yes, but nowdays PC is usually refered to computers with Windows on it.
and MAC is not just a OS, but also a computer on its own, it has it's own architecture but lately switched to x86 arch.

S.A.
06-30-2007, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
yes, but nowdays PC is usually refered to computers with Windows on it.
and MAC is not just a OS, but also a computer on its own, it has it's own architecture but lately switched to x86 arch.
May be...

afriend
06-30-2007, 12:33 PM

lol you guys...

My view on the Macs, excellent service and security. My uncle has had his Mac for the last 5 years, he has no anti virus software for it, neither has he ever needed a refragment, because the speed has always remained constant throughout those 5 years, and in terms of security it is an impenetrable fortress :shade:...

And if you've got a windows based OS you'll know how the novelty performance and cleanliness (in terms of viruses, malware etc.) wears away in less than....about 6 months lol.

Something to consider, though...Would be software compatibility. If you're using software which is compulsory in your daily life (no, not MSN messenger) such as say AutoCAD and it isn't compatible with Mac OS's then I wouldn't recomend use of Mac OS's. [However I'm not sure how that mixes in with Mac OS's]

Other than that, Macs offer extreme, reliable power for a much higher price than PCs. Upgrades will not become neccessary as Apple isn't as corporately devilish as Microsoft Corp. (with their Vista hardware requirements, ha! I'm wetting myself here with laughter).

Best of luck with making a choice :)

:w:

MuslimWays
06-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I voted for PC, cos I wasn't sure what you meant? did you wna know what the majority of people use or think is better?

Anyways I personally would prefer MAC over PC, Windows been trying for ages to catch upto the power level of MAC, I think if MAC was cheaper everyone would be buying mac, cos of the looks and the power it provides when your running applications like photoshop n aftereffects.

+ MAC looks great!

afriend
06-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah since you brought that up...it's great for those power hungry applications such as Video editing etc.

Great for gaming too :D

whitemuslimah
06-30-2007, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimWays
I voted for PC, cos I wasn't sure what you meant? did you wna know what the majority of people use or think is better?
i realized nearly straight after i started the thread that i should have expanded the question because it could imply a number of things. but the question that i meant to ask in a poll above actually was 'what do u prefer a pc or a mac?'

i do not know if it is possible, but i would appreciate if a mod could correct it

Woodrow
06-30-2007, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by whitemuslimah
i realized nearly straight after i started the thread that i should have expanded the question because it could imply a number of things. but the question that i meant to ask in a poll above actually was 'what do u prefer a pc or a mac?'

i do not know if it is possible, but i would appreciate if a mod could correct it

Check and see it it now is what you want.

Encolpius
06-30-2007, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Have you ever actually used a Mac?

Mac, by a mile, if the software you need to use allows you the choice. They are just so much less grief.
Yes, I have, and I found the thing unwieldy as anything. Not impressed, I'm afraid, and the number of smug, preening idiots in Paris who salivate over them didn't help. My PC lappy's never had any real problems with spyware, viri, or suchlike because I made sure to be pretty well protected against such things from an early stage. That, and I use Firefox. So why would I pay over the odds for something that's physically fragile and doesn't afford me any material benefit for what I do with it.

Besides, my next lappy's probably going to be a Linux job.

Abdul Fattah
06-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Which do I prefer? Well I don't really care. They both run linux :D
even an xbox or PDA runs linux. Not that I tried it out, but It's all goooooooooood :p

islamirama
06-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Macs are 1000 times better than any pc. Not only that but almost everything PCs (esp. bill gates) have is a copy of Mac. Downside with mac is everything comes in PC but that too is slowly changing. PC with linux rather then MS crap is better!

Yanal
06-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Asalam alkum how do you know if it is linux

Woodrow
06-30-2007, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Asalam alkum how do you know if it is linux
you have to write the Linux program yourself and load it onto a reformatted HD.

The best thig about Linux you program it yourself and you make it tailored for yourself. Linux is great, but it is not for beginners and most people do not have the time to write their own PC programs.

I think Linux Top-Hat does put out one or 2 on CDs now. But you still have to do the final programming.

The best thing about Linux is it is free. this link will tell you all about it.

http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

vpb
06-30-2007, 08:19 PM

I think they have made Linux (Ubuntu distro) pretty much easy for beginners.

you can request cd-s in here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

and run it with live cd (so u don't have to install it).

islamirama
06-30-2007, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
you have to write the Linux program yourself and load it onto a reformatted HD.

The best thig about Linux you program it yourself and you make it tailored for yourself. Linux is great, but it is not for beginners and most people do not have the time to write their own PC programs.

I think Linux Top-Hat does put out one or 2 on CDs now. But you still have to do the final programming.

The best thing about Linux is it is free. this link will tell you all about it.

http://www.linux.org/info/index.html
You don't have to do your programming anymore. Linux has advanced to such a level that it looks like MS windows systems now. In fact, Dell now offers the options of windows or linux on your new dell.

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3668521

Woodrow
07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
You don't have to do your programming anymore. Linux has advanced to such a level that it looks like MS windows systems now. In fact, Dell now offers the options of windows or linux on your new dell.

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3668521
Shows how far behind times I am. Linux really is the way to go. I'll have to try it again on the next PC I assemble.

afriend
07-01-2007, 01:35 PM

I am thinking of giving Linux a shot on my old computer. It seems ok from reviews, but maybe a first hand account from actual users is more neccessary. I need a blank CD from somewhere.

Are there any driver issues like Vista? And are Microsoft based applications comatible like Office?

saira-k
07-01-2007, 01:51 PM
i have a laptop- windows. iv heard macs r reli hard to use but look nicer! lol

E'jaazi
07-04-2007, 07:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I think in your case would be best to look at the software you plan to use and see if it can all be found in MAC compatible versions. I am strictly PC, but that is because much of the software I use I can not find in a MAC version.

As far as the reliability of the OS, MAC does have PC beat. I'm stuck with PC, but only because I have tons of software that would be useless if I switched.
You can run any windows operating system on a Mac, but not the other way around. There is no comparison between the two. Mac is superior to PC. But the windows operating systems do not work as well as MAC, so you really don't need it. Mac has programs that are better than windows. You can get them at the Apple store.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!