/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What made you choose the religion you follow?

Encolpius
06-29-2007, 10:53 AM
What caused you, primarily, to become of the faith you now are? Were you born that way or did you convert? What led you to convert? Have you always been particularly devout or did you have an experience that led you from being of whatever faith merely in name to becoming more strong in it?

(Hope I've got this in the right section; if not, please can the mods put it in its place.)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
August
06-30-2007, 04:29 AM
What I'm curious to examine is not who is right and who is wrong. What I am interested in is asking what thought process lead you to follow the religion you do? Atheists and agnostics should tell us why they don't believe. Even if you were raised in your current religion, why did you decide to stay in it. Please keep this respectful, let's not argue about who is worshiping the right God. (well, not too much:D )

Here is a brief account of my thought process that lead me to Catholicism:

I was not raised Catholic, I was raised Baptist but became an atheist at age 13. I entered the Catholic Church this past Easter. Here are the steps that lead me to the Catholic Church.

1. The neccesity of God

I began to think about a universal standard of morality and the uniqueness of human beings. I percieved those things as the truth because I see them in place through out the world. And this brought me to a crisis with my atheism. How could people be fundamentaly different from other life if we were just a random product of evolution? Who can say what is or is not moral if morality is dependent completely on what people decide is right or wrong?

2. The neccesity of Salvation

What I saw in the world was a lot of people doing bad things. I saw myself doing things that I knew were wrong, and made me feel bad, yet I still did them. This lead me to believe that people are in need of salvation from our sinful natures.

3. The necessity of Religion

So, now that I believed in God and morality, I began to think about how best to live to honor my creator. Obviously, living well is part of that. So, maybe I could just live my life as well as possible and that would be enough. But it didn't make sense to me that God wouldn't give us some rules to follow or someone to tell the truth of His existence. So I decided that there must be a true religion.

4. The truth of Christianity

So, now I needed to see what religion had the truth. After reading about all the major ones (and some of the obscure ones) I decided that the truth had to be one of the Abrahamic faiths. Only Christianity, Judaism and Islam sounded like they could be the truth. Other religions had some truth, but not nearly as much. So which of the three was correct? I decided that Christianity was true because I thought that all of its basic doctrines made sense and because I thought that many parts of Judaism and Islam didn't seem like the truth.

5. Catholic

I decided on the Catholic Church because I felt it was the only Christian denomination that could legitimately show that it had the original teachings of Christ. God wouldn't let His Church splinter into thousands of little sects.

So, if anyone is interested, what's your story?

Abdul Fattah
07-09-2007, 07:08 PM
My story is on my userpage :)
There were two similar request for new threads, so I merged them both.
(sorry thread has been approved so late, have been to busy to come online lately with work)

glo
07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Greeting, Encolpius

I chose my faith after a conversion event, which I believe was through divine intervention. Ever since then my path has led me more and more into the Christian faith, and my original 'message' has been reaffirmed over and over again.

I will leave it at that out of respect for forum rules ... but PM me if you want to know more.

And what about you? What made you choose your path?

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
07-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I became a Buddhist because the religion makes perfect intellectual sense to me, is fundamentally practical, and can be directly experienced, at least to a small degree (it's a very long path!). It identifies what is self-evidently the reason why most people are so miserable much of the time and offers a practical cure through self-effort. That always seemed to me far more in tune with the way things are (or at least seem to be) than hoping a divinity will somehow sort it all out for you if you read the right book and 'believe'.

Amadeus85
07-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I was born as catholic and probably i will die as one, and raise my children as catholics. All my family ( except those who are in USA, baptists, ) are catholics, 98 % of citizens of my country are catholics.

wilberhum
07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
After a long and tedious journey, I became an agnostic.

Because I came to believe that every body is wrong, including me.:skeleton:

- Qatada -
07-09-2007, 10:36 PM
lol born muslim, but wasn't practisin.. until something happened. but yeah.. some info here:

http://islamicink.wordpress.com/2007...arkness-light/

Peace. :)

ranma1/2
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM
I was born without knowledge of any gods so you could say i was an atheists inititally.
However once i could put a word or two together my family took me to sunday school and church. I remember believing christ was real and i was lucky i was born into a christian family so i could be saved "although i dont think i really had a clue what that ment except it was supposedly good."
My first conflict with christanity was when i was taking taekwondo as a kid and being a kid i made fun of one of my friends for ebing another religion. He asked me how do i know im right and that got me thinking.
At some point i became agnostic and to a point afraid to tell others i was not christian including in highschool. "imagine thinking that everyone will hate you for rejecting their belief and to a point that being true."
I think it wasnt untill college that i really had the time to think about god and religion.
I saw that morality was subjective. It varies from culture to culture and religion and religion, god was not a neccesity. God also if existed would need a creator as well, creating this endless chain of creators.
Also i saw no need for religion "theistic or otherwise". I see that humans are the ones that choose what good and bad are and religion has only given validity to their beliefs wether good or bad in their eyes.
I think also learning more about christianity made me a an atheists. there was little good in the christian god especially in the OT. I could not morally worship a being that was so evil. I could not follow a religion that does not object to slavery, that gives the thumbs up to the subjugation and rape of women, etc...
I think also i disliked how christianity often leads others to not care about the world since it is only a fleeting life and that god can fix it.

I could go on and on but there are many reason why i am no longer religious.

Pygoscelis
07-10-2007, 01:02 AM
I have always been an atheist, even though my parents and culture tried to make me a Christian. It simply never took. I found the whole idea of Gods to be nonsensical at a very young age. I became anti-religious later as I examined the actual texts and saw people being forced into conformity with them.

michaelconvert
07-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Well...... I chose Islam a few months ago for many reasons. I was raised Christian and got dunked in some water when i was like 12. I just couldn’t except the fact that i had religion that didn’t require anything of me. I could go rape and kill then just say im sorry. Also the idea of Jesus being somehow God. How could Jesus admit that God is greater than him and still be God......almighty can not be less than almighty. There were a few events that led to my reversion but there is one that stands out in my mind.

May peace be upon prophet Isa

I was walking into my guitar class and for some reason i said "its freakin hard to be a Christian". This dude in my class Aman was like "you know what the problem with Christians is?" Reluctantly i asked him what. He said "they worship a man". I told him that it wasn’t that simple........but in my heart i knew it was.

Alhumdulilah i reverted soon after

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Yea there is a similar thread on this...if maybe they can be merged cuz my story is in there :) I forget what its called or else I'd paste it.

Ubaidah
07-11-2007, 12:37 AM
For me personally, it wasn't something I found WRONG with Christianity. It was more along the lines of I just always left wanting more. So starting a few years back, I started looking into other religions, while always keeping my faith in the 1 true God.

I starting learning about Islam about 2-3 years ago, and was very intrigued by the faith and soon was strictly reading up and learning about the faith. Conversion was a issue I tangled with for about a year, but one day it just became clear that Islam was something I had been practicing since I first gained a basic understanding, so about 7-8 months ago I finally said my shahadah and began my life as a Muslim.

Although I've reverted to Islam, I find myself being more understanding of other religions than I was before. By going through what I went through to find happiness in Islam, I've found myself to understand that not everyone has the same path. And I firmly believe in the Quran and all thats within it, but I also believe that it's more about believing in the one God and pleasing him, rather than being preoccupied with what your religion is called. Be it Christian, Judaism or Muslim. But that's just me.

snakelegs
07-11-2007, 01:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JMF
For me personally, it wasn't something I found WRONG with Christianity. It was more along the lines of I just always left wanting more. So starting a few years back, I started looking into other religions, while always keeping my faith in the 1 true God.

I starting learning about Islam about 2-3 years ago, and was very intrigued by the faith and soon was strictly reading up and learning about the faith. Conversion was a issue I tangled with for about a year, but one day it just became clear that Islam was something I had been practicing since I first gained a basic understanding, so about 7-8 months ago I finally said my shahadah and began my life as a Muslim.

Although I've reverted to Islam, I find myself being more understanding of other religions than I was before. By going through what I went through to find happiness in Islam, I've found myself to understand that not everyone has the same path. And I firmly believe in the Quran and all thats within it, but I also believe that it's more about believing in the one God and pleasing him, rather than being preoccupied with what your religion is called. Be it Christian, Judaism or Muslim. But that's just me.
what a very nice post!

Pynthanomai
07-11-2007, 05:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
[...]
I saw that morality was subjective. It varies from culture to culture and religion and religion, god was not a neccesity.
[...]
I see that humans are the ones that choose what good and bad are and religion has only given validity to their beliefs wether good or bad in their eyes.
I think also learning more about christianity made me a an atheists. there was little good in the christian god especially in the OT. I could not morally worship a being that was so evil.
[...]

That's an interesting post. I was particularly intrigued by your comments on morality (some of which I've quoted above). I note that you're clear about the relativity of morality, that it "varies from culture to culture" and that "humans are the ones that choose what good and bad are". This makes sense if one takes an atheistic point of view. However, I note that later in your post you refer to the God of the Old Testament by saying that you "could not morally worship a being that was so evil". I just want to clarify that when you say "so evil", you understand that attribute to be entirely relative, and not based upon any "rule" or standard of measure; so that if someone else deemed that God to be "very good", you might object from a personal perspective for various reasons, but you could not suppose that either opinion was, absolutely judged, better or more valid than the other: inasmuch as you consider there to be no "absolutes" against which such things may be judged. Am I correct?

ranma1/2
07-11-2007, 05:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pynthanomai
However, I note that later in your post you refer to the God of the Old Testament by saying that you "could not morally worship a being that was so evil".

I just want to clarify that when you say "so evil", you understand that attribute to be entirely relative, and not based upon any "rule" or standard of measure; so that if someone else deemed that God to be "very good", you might object from a personal perspective for various reasons, but you could not suppose that either opinion was, absolutely judged, better or more valid than the other: inasmuch as you consider there to be no "absolutes" against which such things may be judged. Am I correct?

by evil i mean by what i consider evil. I can also judge others by my own morality. "to ultimatley say whether I am right or wrong is for others to decide." The OT god is a very selfish and tyranical god. He is a being of jealousy and seems to act very irrational.

I would also worry about people who would deem genocide, zenophobia, homophobia, rape, slavery etc. as approved and often commended by the OT god to be good.

Pynthanomai
07-11-2007, 05:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
by evil i mean by what i consider evil. The OT god is a very selfish and tyranical god. He is a being of jealousy and seems to act very irrational.

OK, I understand what you're saying. So we're agreed then - this "evil" is "what [you] consider evil", not some absolute evil that can be quantified or scientifically explained?

north_malaysian
07-11-2007, 06:08 AM
I was born into a non practicing (but they still observe fasting on Ramadhan) Muslim family. From what I've remembered, my late grandmother was the only person who perform the daily prayers.

My parents became born-again Muslims when I was in the kindergarten (1984). I started to pray a year later. My mum started to wear hijab 2 years later.

My parents have no problems of me reading books about other religions. In my primary school (opened by Lutheran Church, but governtment took over it) there are lots of Christian books.

I'm exposed to Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism and Hinduism too as I'm living in a mixed area.

I've learnt about more religions in the university too...

But... I just comfortable with Islam and will remain as a Muslim forever... Inshallah

ranma1/2
07-11-2007, 06:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pynthanomai
OK, I understand what you're saying. So we're agreed then - this "evil" is "what [you] consider evil", not some absolute evil that can be quantified or scientifically explained?
oh absolutley. You might be able to give a social view of evil and good.
And as i have said before in other threads i in general consider selfless acts to be good and selfish ones to be evil "in general"

glo
07-11-2007, 06:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I was born into a non practicing (but they still observe fasting on Ramadhan) Muslim family. From what I've remembered, my late grandmother was the only person who perform the daily prayers.

My parents became born-again Muslims when I was in the kindergarten (1984). I started to pray a year later. My mum started to wear hijab 2 years later.

My parents have no problems of me reading books about other religions. In my primary school (opened by Lutheran Church, but governtment took over it) there are lots of Christian books.

I'm exposed to Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism and Hinduism too as I'm living in a mixed area.

I've learnt about more religions in the university too...

But... I just comfortable with Islam and will remain as a Muslim forever... Inshallah
It is very obvious how comfortable you are with people of other faiths, brother.
I'm sure that's a real gift and a great blessing to others.

Peace :)

Pygoscelis
07-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Toaism has always intreagued me. You don't often hear much about it.

Intisar
07-11-2007, 07:23 AM
I was born a Muslim, and recently I've been thinking more and more about Allah(SWT) and Akhriya which led me to be stronger in my deen. I was strong in my deen beforehand but somehow got lead astray, but alhamdulilah I have come back to the right path of Islam.

north_malaysian
07-11-2007, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Toaism has always intreagued me. You don't often hear much about it.
The Taoists have a massive building in Penang, and the famous Taoist association is the World Red Swastika Society....

They're the most superstitious of all..... lots of taboos...

north_malaysian
07-11-2007, 07:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
It is very obvious how comfortable you are with people of other faiths, brother.
I'm sure that's a real gift and a great blessing to others.

Peace :)
I have no problems with non-Muslims because I practice the quotation you put in your signature.... :D

Grace Seeker
07-11-2007, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by michaelconvert
Well...... I chose Islam a few months ago for many reasons. I was raised Christian and got dunked in some water when i was like 12. I just couldn’t except the fact that i had religion that didn’t require anything of me. I could go rape and kill then just say im sorry. Also the idea of Jesus being somehow God. How could Jesus admit that God is greater than him and still be God......almighty can not be less than almighty. There were a few events that led to my reversion but there is one that stands out in my mind.

May peace be upon prophet Isa

I was walking into my guitar class and for some reason i said "its freakin hard to be a Christian". This dude in my class Aman was like "you know what the problem with Christians is?" Reluctantly i asked him what. He said "they worship a man". I told him that it wasn’t that simple........but in my heart i knew it was.

Alhumdulilah i reverted soon after

Well, this may sound strange coming from a Christian pastor (and I certainly don't mean this in any prejorative manner), but if after your baptism you still had a belief that the Christian faith required nothing of you and that you could do whatever you wanted with impunity, and especially if you were tempted to test that theory, and also if you never were able to trust Christ with your life and soul, then you seriously misunderstood what it was all about. It seems to be a blessing in your case that you might have found a faith that would at least bring into submission with God's will. May you grow in your faith to be a truer Muslim and faithful follower of God than you were as a Christian.

PEACE!

Sarada
08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I am a Hindu. Contrary to populare belief, we are monists. We believe in one God, Brahman, the Supreme Absolute, the One without a Second, who is infinite, beyond name and form. God being infinite, has many different attributes which are represented to us humans in different forms. There are many paths, but only one Truth.

Every faith has that same Truth at its core, we respect everyone's right to chose his/her own path. That is why I am a Hindu. Only God can know what is inside a person's heart; that is why we don't judge. There is no such thing as my God or your God. There is only God.

I do not put others down for practicing their religion with faith and devotion; indieed, I admire them. Tolerance, acceptance, and compassion are the hallmarks of a democratic society.

Grace Seeker
08-06-2007, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada
I am a Hindu. Contrary to populare belief, we are monists. We believe in one God, Brahman, the Supreme Absolute, the One without a Second, who is infinite, beyond name and form. God being infinite, has many different attributes which are represented to us humans in different forms. There are many paths, but only one Truth.

I'm assuming you meant that Hindus are monothiests, not monists. (I don't know what a monist is if that is what you did mean.) Now, I'm not going to deny that statement, you are a Hindu and I am not, so surely you know more about it than I. But I have to say that this is news to me, with all of the various Hindu dieties I've heard described. I would be interested in hearing more about Hindu views on this subject from someone who is Hindu. Would you be willing to have a "Questions about Hinduism answered by a Hindu" thread?

Haidar_Abbas
08-06-2007, 06:28 PM

Surah At-Tawbah Ayah 20 (Al Qur'an Al Kareem)

Sarada
08-06-2007, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
I'm assuming you meant that Hindus are monothiests, not monists. (I don't know what a monist is if that is what you did mean.) Now, I'm not going to deny that statement, you are a Hindu and I am not, so surely you know more about it than I. But I have to say that this is news to me, with all of the various Hindu dieties I've heard described. I would be interested in hearing more about Hindu views on this subject from someone who is Hindu. Would you be willing to have a "Questions about Hinduism answered by a Hindu" thread?
Yes I would be happy to answer any questions. You can set it up if you like. And I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. If I do not know the answer myself, I will ask my Guru and/or research it.

To answer your question about monism:

here is a quick definition from Wikipedia:

Monism is the metaphysical and theological view that all is one, that there are no fundamental divisions, and a unified set of laws underlie nature.

Monism is to be distinguished from dualism, which holds that ultimately there are two kinds of substance.

In Hinduism, monism is found in the Nasadiya Sukta of the Rigveda, which speaks of the One being-non-being that 'breathed without breath'. The Ultimate Reality is called Brahman which is beyone gender, neither male nor female, encompassing the infinite. Those "gods" that we "worship" are really only small aspects of the Ultimate Reality, which we believe cannot be compreheneded by the unenlightened human mind. So we use pictures and statues of these various attributes to help us focus on God.

Stictly, monotheism states that there exists only one indivisible God. Therefore, while monotheistic, Christianity, believing that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, are all in God, has monistic tendencies. Judaism and Islam are truly monotheistic.

AhlaamBella
08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
The beauty and truth of Islam attracted me. I loved the way Islam has an answer for everything.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.