/* */

PDA

View Full Version : segregated schools

Hashim_507
06-30-2007, 11:23 PM
WASHINGTON (June 30) - What to do now? School officials around the country are asking that question following a Supreme Court decision rejecting racial integration plans in Seattle and Louisville, Ky.
The 5-4 ruling prohibited those district plans but didn't entirely shut the door on using race as a factor when making decisions about what schools should look like.

The ruling brought complaints that it allegedly betrayed the Supreme Court's most acclaimed ruling - the 53-year-old Brown v. Board of Education decision outlawing segregated schools.

Justice Anthony Kennedy went along with the court's four most conservative members in rejecting the Louisville and Seattle plans. However, he stopped short of saying race can never be a component of school efforts to achieve diversity.

"A district may consider it a compelling interest to achieve a diverse student population," Kennedy said. "Race may be one component of that diversity."

Educators like John Modest call the ruling "the re-segregation of America's public schools."

But this time, the West Charlotte, N.C., principal said, the segregation is based on class, not just race.

“I think you saw some white flight and bright flight,” said West Charlotte High School principal John Modest. “White flight and bright flight, where the black middle class folks were leaving, too, from the schools.”

But Kennedy's opinion had some proponents of the integration plans cheering.

"My overall view is that we dodged a bullet," said William Taylor, chairman of the Washington-based Citizens Commission on Civil Rights, who added that he expected a much more sweeping rejection of race as a factor in school district decision making.

Kennedy suggested race could be a factor in deciding where to build a new school and how to draw school attendance boundaries.

He also said districts should be able to find creative ways to achieve their goalntegration led to higher test scores for black students in the 1970s and into the 1980s, narrowing the achievement gap between black and white students. She said that gap then widened when integration efforts slowed.

Proponents of racially integrated schools say they are motivated for reasons beyond academics.

"We know that there are benefits of diversity. Those benefits are social and academic," said Vanderbilt University education researcher Claire Smrekar. "We know kids who attend racially integrated schools are far more likely to live in integrated neighborhoods and be employed in integrated workplaces."

But Ross Wiener, vice president of program and Policy at Education Trust, which advocates for poor and minority children, said even inside integrated schools segregation exists.

Wiener referred to a tendency for minorities to be more likely to attend special education classes, vocation classes and classes for limited English speakers than their white peers. They also are less likely to be placed in gifted or Advanced Placement courses.

"There's no question that racially diverse schools provide positive educational opportunities, but the fact is we've rarely taken advantage of those opportunities," he said. "In both integrated and racially isolated schools, Black and Hispanic students too often get assigned to weaker teachers and dumbed-down coursework."

CBS News contributed to this report.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/schools...00010000000001
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This a sad news in American schools :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
07-03-2007, 08:59 PM
What is so sad about it? It stops parents from having to send their children to different schools simply to reach some abstract goal of racial intergration. It doesn't segregate schools by any stretch of the imagination. Your title is quite misleading. This decision stops schools from using race as the only motivating factor behind who they allow in schools.

tomtomsmom
07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
All schools should have the same resources and then there would be no worries of which one has more white kids and which one has more black kids.

Keltoi
07-03-2007, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
All schools should have the same resources and then there would be no worries of which one has more white kids and which one has more black kids.
The problem isn't a federal one though. There is more than enough money given out by the federal government to vastly improve these "ghetto" school districts. The problem is mismanagement of resources by the respective school boards and the way in which the state decides to use these resources. Your theory is probably the correct one though. Equal resources are much more important than some racial percentage.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wilberhum
07-03-2007, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
I have always promoted what you are saying. Except I want more money to go to the poorer schools. Bring them from below equal to above.

vpb
07-03-2007, 09:36 PM
I have always promoted what you are saying. Except I want more money to go to the poorer schools. Bring them from below equal to above.
I dont think money will increase the standards of learning, unless you are working with experiments, than of course money is needed, but as for knowledge, money doesn't matter.

I could even see one day, the projector got broken in the lecture, so the lecturer started writing on board, and actually it was better to understand than using projectors, and all this technology.

August
07-04-2007, 06:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
I dont think money will increase the standards of learning
That's truer than most American educators would like to admit. My Dad is a High School teacher and his frustration is never money, it's always kids from bad homes who's parents don't care about their education. We can talk all we want about hiring more teachers or getting better technology, but education has to be a priority at home before school will do any good.

tomtomsmom
07-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Schools need a lot of work these days. It has a lot to do with parents that don't care if the kids get an education but that is because they didn't get one either. It is a result of a long chain of not caring. But money is a big issue too. There are some schools in "poor" districts that don't even have air conditioning. How well do you think you would do if your english lit class was 100 degrees and smelly from having 30 sweaty kids in there??? Plus some of these kids can't afford even the basics. Paper and pencils are a commodity.

north_malaysian
07-05-2007, 02:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
but education has to be a priority at home before school will do any good.
I think both education and discipline have to be the priorities at home .... there are lots of genius people ending up being troublemakers...:D

Keltoi
07-05-2007, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I think both education and discipline have to be the priorities at home .... there are lots of genius people ending up being troublemakers...:D
Expectations play a major role. Many of the Asian students I knew from college were driven by their parent's expectations. I think that is an element that American parents need to learn from.

north_malaysian
07-05-2007, 04:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Expectations play a major role. Many of the Asian students I knew from college were driven by their parent's expectations. I think that is an element that American parents need to learn from.
Well, Asians are exam-oriented people.... and the parents would do anything to make their kids having good results.. it's HARD to enter PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES in Asia. And it's HARD to secure a good job.

In Malaysia we have 4 main exams before going to the university.

* UPSR (in standard 6 of primary school)
* PMR (in form 3 of secondary school)
* SPM (in form 5 of secondary school)
* STPM (in form Upper 6 of secondary school)

When I was in standard 6, I dont think that I lived my life like any 12 years old kid outside Asia.

WEEKDAYS

6.30 - 7:30: Woke up, took shower, pray Fajr Prayer, breakfast.
7.30 - 1.30: Public school period
1.30 - 2.30: Lunch, shower, pray Zuhr Prayer
2.30 - 4.30: Religious school period
4.30 - 5.00: Asr Prayer at the mosque
5.00 - 7.30: Homeworks and study for UPSR
7.30 - 9.00: Shower, and go to mosque for Maghrib prayer and Isha prayer, attend lecture given by imams.
9.00 - 9.15: Dinner
9.15 - 10.30: Study for UPSR
10.30 - 6.30: Sleep

SATURDAYS
6.30 - 8.00: Woke up, shower, Fajr prayer, breakfast, watch tv:D
8.00 - 12.00: School co-curriculum activities
12.00 - 2.00: Lunch, shower, Zuhr prayer
2.00 - 5.00: Went to tuition classes
5.00 - 5.30: Asr prayer
5.30 - 7.30: Study for UPSR or doing tuition homeworks
7.30 - 9.00: Shower, go to mosque
9.00 - 9.15: Dinner
9.15 - 10.30: Study for UPSR

SUNDAYS
6.30 - 9.00: Woke up, shower, Fajr prayer, breakfast, tv :okay:
9.00 - 12.00: Tuitions
12.00 - 2.00: Lunch, shower, Zuhr prayer
2.00 - 5.00: Study!!!!
5.00 - 5.30: Asr prayer
5.30 - 7.00: Hanging out with friends or playing something with them:thumbs_up
7.00 - 7.30: Dinner
7.30 - 9.00: shower, to mosque
9.00 - 10.30: Study and homeworks

That was my worst year... but I'm ok with it as it gave me good UPSR results and I was admitted in one of the best secondary school in Penang...

Only 1 year of sufferings......:exhausted

Dahir
07-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Northern Malaysian,

Those Asians are something, eh. :phew

Forget about going to university there, I think I'll settle for North Dakota State University. :-[

north_malaysian
07-05-2007, 08:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
Northern Malaysian,

Those Asians are something, eh. :phew

Forget about going to university there, I think I'll settle for North Dakota State University. :-[
That only happens in Malaysian schools ... not university......

We have to struggle in order to be in the university....

Actually it's easier for international students to get into Malaysian universities than locals...

Dahir
07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
That's even worse. An army of super-students await me at class and I just got done making up credits for my Pre-Algebra courses.

I'll take my chances here. +o(

north_malaysian
07-05-2007, 09:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
That's even worse. An army of super-students await me at class and I just got done making up credits for my Pre-Algebra courses.

I'll take my chances here. +o(
Super students!!!!!?????

Hahahahha!!! University students (mostly) are a group of people who attend 80% of the lectures, spent lots of time playing PC games, or dating, or sports, watching movies, shoppings, just like Americans.... i think it's ok to say that university is the place that changed 80% of Malaysian geeks into party animals..... :okay:

Personally, wherever you study.... it's upon you, whether you could excel in your studies with 4.00 CGPA or just partying all night long...

BiH
07-05-2007, 09:29 AM
This is wrong. When i look into a crowd of people i see no colours, neither should they.

Hashim_507
07-05-2007, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
What is so sad about it? It stops parents from having to send their children to different schools simply to reach some abstract goal of racial intergration. It doesn't segregate schools by any stretch of the imagination. Your title is quite misleading. This decision stops schools from using race as the only motivating factor behind who they allow in schools.
The decision rejects any minorities trying to put there kids to a better schools that accepts intergration system.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.