/* */

PDA

View Full Version : need help with alif al-layena (maqsoorah)

Ummu Sufyaan
07-01-2007, 08:50 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.

This is what i read in a book, which is called "Easy quran reading with baghdadi primer", by Moustafa El-gindy. (regarding Alif al-layena- also known as alif al-maqsoorah). The following information is regarding Alif al-layena occurring at the end of the word.

1) "In all prepositional (المعان) letters, it is written ا, except with these four: الى حتى عل بلى".
What are the other prepostional letters?

2) "In verbs: In three lettered verbs, it is written alif, if it is a change of waaw. eg: يدعو becomes دعا, and layena if it is a change of yaa. eg: يقضى becomes قضى.
How do i know if it is a a change of waaw or yaa. So if i was told to write down the words دعا and قضى , not knowing what these words look like, how do i know that it has been changed from a waaw or a yaa? is there some rule that states that the words have to be in masculine present tense. (as this is what i have noticed the form of the examples given)?

jazakallahu khair

:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ravenous
07-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

prepositional phrases in arabic are called hurooful jarr, or hurooful khafdh. You know, من و إلى و عن و على و في و ألباء و ألكاء و أللام
(sorry, I don't know how to make my font bigger so you can see them, but I'm assuming you know them anyway)

as for how you know whether a verb ends in alif maqsoorah the regular one (mamdoodah); it's usually a matter of just memorization of how it's spelt, but there a couple of hints.

first of all, if someone says them out loud to you, when a verb ends in the regular alif, the end sound will obviously be stretched out as in, "da'aaaa" (hence the term 'mamdoodad' coming from the word madda, meaning elongation).

second, if you are given the present tense of the verb, then it's kind of a rule in sarf that ي and ى interchanged in verb conjugation, and ا and و are interchanged with one another.

so in the verb قضى, the alif maqsoorah cannot become و so it would be incorrect to say يقـضو. And in the same way, in the verb دعا, the alif mamdoodah cannot become ي, so you can't say يدعي.

there is no rule that states these verbs have to be male in present tense, it's just that generally, in arabic, it's easier to deal with the masculine tenses when studying basic rules, as they rarely carry exceptions, making them easier to learn from.

speak of exceptions, would anyone reading this be able to tell ME what is the mukhaatabah mudhaarih of دعا and قضى?

hope that helps, insha allah.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-05-2007, 11:36 AM
:sl: brothers nad sisters.

jazakallahu khair for the above.
just one other qn though, in another book i read it says (regarding the alif al-maqsoorah), If the letter preceeding the ى containks a fathah, then in tthis case it is an Alif maqsoorah. them it has:

Written
عيسى
أتقى

Read
عيسا
أتقا

Does this rule only apply to nouns consisting of four letters??

jazakallahu khair

Ummu Sufyaan
07-05-2007, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ravenous
Assalaamu alaykum,

prepositional phrases in arabic are called hurooful jarr, or hurooful khafdh. You know, من و إلى و عن و على و في و ألباء و ألكاء و أللام
(sorry, I don't know how to make my font bigger so you can see them, but I'm assuming you know them anyway)

as for how you know whether a verb ends in alif maqsoorah the regular one (mamdoodah); it's usually a matter of just memorization of how it's spelt, but there a couple of hints.

first of all, if someone says them out loud to you, when a verb ends in the regular alif, the end sound will obviously be stretched out as in, "da'aaaa" (hence the term 'mamdoodad' coming from the word madda, meaning elongation).

second, if you are given the present tense of the verb, then it's kind of a rule in sarf that ي and ى interchanged in verb conjugation, and ا and و are interchanged with one another.

so in the verb قضى, the alif maqsoorah cannot become و so it would be incorrect to say يقـضو. And in the same way, in the verb دعا, the alif mamdoodah cannot become ي, so you can't say يدعي.

there is no rule that states these verbs have to be male in present tense, it's just that generally, in arabic, it's easier to deal with the masculine tenses when studying basic rules, as they rarely carry exceptions, making them easier to learn from.

speak of exceptions, would anyone reading this be able to tell ME what is the mukhaatabah mudhaarih of دعا and قضى?

hope that helps, insha allah.
forgot to ask if this only applies to the present tense of the verb. can it also apply to 3 lettered nouns. does that even conform to the rules of arabic?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
07-09-2007, 09:14 AM
no one yet???

back_to_faith
07-09-2007, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
no one yet???

Salam

Don't be in a hurry sister......

I have just read your posts....but I'm in a hurry now to go

soon will give you the answers next time online

and May Allah bless you for your huge efforts to study such rules in Arabic.

back_to_faith
07-11-2007, 11:23 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.

This is what i read in a book, which is called "Easy quran reading with baghdadi primer", by Moustafa El-gindy. (regarding Alif al-layena- also known as alif al-maqsoorah). The following information is regarding Alif al-layena occurring at the end of the word.

1) "In all prepositional (المعان) letters, it is written ا, except with these four: الى حتى عل بلى".
What are the other prepostional letters?

2) "In verbs: In three lettered verbs, it is written alif, if it is a change of waaw. eg: يدعو becomes دعا, and layena if it is a change of yaa. eg: يقضى becomes قضى.
How do i know if it is a a change of waaw or yaa. So if i was told to write down the words دعا and قضى , not knowing what these words look like, how do i know that it has been changed from a waaw or a yaa? is there some rule that states that the words have to be in masculine present tense. (as this is what i have noticed the form of the examples given)?

jazakallahu khair

you asked :What are the other prepostional letters?
I think you didn't get the meaning well

the rule is:

al alif al-maqsoorah
is the alif which occures at the end of the word and is either be written as

( ا ) or ( ى )

al alif al-maqsoorah has 3 cases:

1-With prepositions
2-With verbs
3-With nouns

1- with prepositions it is written ( ا ) in all prepositions as:
لا ـ حاشا etc....

the exceptions 4 prepostions

حتى (till)
، (on) على
، بلى (yes)،
(to) إلى

the above 4 prepostions al alif al-maqsoorah is written ( ى ) ,so it is wrong if one writes حتا instead of حتى

2-With nouns:

it is written ( ى ) with:

1-the noun with three letters which its (alif) was originally (yaa)

examples: فتى ، هدى

2-the noun with more than 3 letters but only if its (alif) NOT proceeded by (yaa)

examples: مأوى ، مصطفى

It is written ( ا ) with:

1-the noun with three letters which its (alif) was originally (waaw)

example: عصا

2-the noun with more than 3 letters only if its (alif) IS proceeded by (yaa)

example: هدايا

3-foriegn names ,as أوربا ، (Europe)

(Asia)آسيا
with the exception :

عيسى ،
(Isa)

(Mosa)موسى

، بخارى ،(bukhara)
متّى ،(Matta)
(Kesra) كسرى

4-some nouns (alasmaa almabnia)

هنا ، هذا ، أنا ، إذا .

with the exception

لدى ، أنّى ، متى ، أولى ، الأُلى

3-With verbs

it is written alif ( ا )
1-In three lettered verbs, , if it is a change of waaw. eg: يدعو becomes دعا,

2-verbs with more than 3 letters (either past or present) if the alif is NOT preceeded by (yaa)
eg:استدعى ، يتخطى

it is written yaa
( ى )

1-In three lettered verbs, , if it is a change of yaa.
eg:
رعى ، رمى

2-verbs with more than 3 letters (either past or present) if the alif is preceeded by (yaa)
eg:أحيا ، يعيا

your question:

how do i know that it has been changed from a waaw or a yaa?

To know that ,you should do :

either to add (taa al fail) means (the letter taa of the subject of the sentence)

example:
the past tense verb

دعا (invited) , if we add (taa al fail) it becomes دعوت

with waaw

another example:

سما ـ سموت

and

رمى ـ رميت

with yaa

or other way to know is to go back to the (masdar) of the verb

سما

the masder is

السمو

and

رمى

the masdr is

الرمي

Hope that helps

I know it is difficult grammar ..but logical as well..

May Allah bless you for your great efforts in such difficult arena....
and never feel despair to learn.....
once you got the rule ,it will be easy for you.

:w:

Ummu Sufyaan
07-12-2007, 09:59 AM
jazakallahu khair for that brother. it was very helpful.
some other questions though, and just to clarify that i am understanding the rules. If i were to take the word ترى, and add to it the taa al-fail (can you please explain to me what al-taa al fail is. this is the first time i have ever heard of it), would it then become ? تريت also can this only be done to verbs in the past tense, (as this the form of the verb you menthioned in your answer).
and just one other thing, i don't know that much about the rules of the masder, but judging by the examples given, do you just stick Al at the beginning to find the masder?

jazakallahu khair

back_to_faith
07-12-2007, 11:18 AM
jazakallahu khair for that brother. it was very helpful.
some other questions though, and just to clarify that i am understanding the rules. If i were to take the word ترى, and add to it the taa al-fail (can you please explain to me what al-taa al fail is. this is the first time i have ever heard of it), would it then become ? تريت also can this only be done to verbs in the past tense, (as this the form of the verb you menthioned in your answer).

the word ترى is present tense
and you can't add (taa al fail ) you know why?

because it is already exists at the beginning (Tara)ترى

(taa al fail ) is the Taa which is appriviation of (you) for example:

the masdar رمى (Rammi) means (the act of throwing something)

if we add (taa al fail ) to it ,in the beginning it will change to present tense

ترمى(tarmi)

and it means (you throw).

so why the (Taa) in the beginning in (tarmi) named (taa al fail )?

because by adding it to the beginning of a verb ,you understand that the verb:

1-present
2- the person who is involving in the action of throwing is (you) not he' or she etc..
in other words the (Taa) u add to the previous verb is the letter that represents (Anta)

so

ترمى(tarmi)
means (you throw) not (he or she throws etc..)

by adding it to the end of a verb ,you understand that the verb:

1-is past tense

2-2- the person who involved in the action of throwing is (you) not he' or she etc..

so رميت (ramait)
means (you threw)

to be continued

peace

Ummu Sufyaan
07-13-2007, 07:14 AM
if we add (taa al fail ) to it ,in the beginning it will change to present tense
and we still want it in the past tense, right??

since i am very confused, i will tell you the method that i use.
firstly when i am given the word, i look if it is a noun or a verb. if it is a 3 lettered verb i try to figure out if it is in its present or past tense.
if it is in its past tense form, i add the taa al-fail at the end. this is what i have practiced so far.
some of the words given (the ones which are to the left of the equals sign) were:
على = عليت
الى(i have a feeling that this word is wrong, simply because it doesn't even sound right)= اليت
رأى=رأيت
سعى=سعيت
قضى=قضيت

If its in its present form, well i don't do anything yet, because i haven't found a word in its present form, so i am unable to practice.

So i'll summarize now inshallah what i understand, regarding 3 lettered verbs.
for past tense verbs, you use the taa al-fail, or refer back to the masder.
for present tense verbs...i dont know

jazakallahu khair

Ummu Sufyaan
07-20-2007, 08:11 AM
no one yet???

Ommuslim
07-20-2007, 01:14 PM
will try to help, coz my mother tounge is Arabic, but not that good at English!!
الى(i have a feeling that this word is wrong, simply because it doesn't even sound right)= اليت
Yes, its wrong,
إلى = is a letter (harf) which means To
In Arabic we have 1- Ism = اسم
2- fe'l = فعل
3- harf = حرف
this is not the answer, i know :)

for present tense verbs...i dont know

will take this verb, which is in the past tense:
رأى=رأيت
in the present we add "alf" or "ta'" or "ya'"
like this :
أرى = I see
يرى = He sees
ترى = She sees

hope it is clear!!
:)

Ummu Sufyaan
07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Firslty, Jazakllahu khair for that,
Secondly, does that mean that the method I used for past tense verbs was correct?
Thirdly: is the reason why I got this wrong الى= اليت is because it is a harf jar?
Fourthly, I think you have misunderstood my question. My question was in regards to this quote: "In verbs: In three lettered verbs, it is written alif, if it is a change of waaw. eg: يدعو becomes دعا, and layena if it is a change of yaa. eg: يقضى becomes قضى.
My question was: How do i know if it is a a change of waaw or yaa. So if i was told to write down the words دعا and قضى , not knowing what these words look like, how do i know that it has been changed from a waaw or a yaa?

amirah_87
07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
My question was: How do i know if it is a a change of waaw or yaa. So if i was told to write down the words دعا and قضى , not knowing what these words look like, how do i know that it has been changed from a waaw or a yaa?

From what I can remember, To find out whether the letter changes to a "yaa" or "waaw" you'd have to look at the root of the verb (the masdar).
So for example we have: قضى & دعا.

The Masdar for قضى is قضية..

and the Masdar for دعا is دعوة.

Wallaahu a'lam, Hope that helps inshaAllah. And please correct me if I'm wrong people. :)

Ummu Sufyaan
07-22-2007, 05:45 AM
jazakallahu khair for that. i hope im not bothering anyone with my too many questions, but this is really important to me.
Sis Amirah, i dont know too much about what the masder is, excpet that it is the verbal noun. I dont know how to turn a word into a verbal noun, however, judging by your rely, do you just add the letter taa at the end of the word.

amirah_87
07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Wa alaykum as salaam Maryam,

With the masdar adding the "taa" isn't always the case. Sometimes the masdars doesn't even have a "taa". It all depends on which scale it's on. Hope I'm not confusing you.

Wa iyyaaki.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
Wa alaykum as salaam Maryam,

With the masdar adding the "taa" isn't always the case. Sometimes the masdars doesn't even have a "taa". It all depends on which scale it's on. Hope I'm not confusing you.

Wa iyyaaki.
jazakallahu khair ukhti amirah.
but scale?? what do you mean by that??

amirah_87
07-26-2007, 11:23 AM

No probs. :)

Like The verb : Dha-ra-ba is on the scale of "Fa-'a-la".

Ummu Sufyaan
07-27-2007, 06:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87

No probs. :)

Like The verb : Dha-ra-ba is on the scale of "Fa-'a-la".
so you mean like syllables??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.